* * * - - 25 votes

Is Alonso on his way out of Ferrari?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1497 replies to this topic

#951 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,225 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:01

I also understand Massa's words as SamH123 does.

Anyway, tonight, Die Welt reports Ghosn is pushing to get Alonso into the Lotus seat:
http://www.welt.de/s...mit-Alonso.html

:eek:  by renault you mean LotusF1 right ???

anyway, from mark hughes

Follow

Why do we think McLaren haven't taken up Button's option yet? Is Martin W waiting to see if Alonso may yet be on the market?#SkyF1

4:22 AM - 6 Sep 13

Advertisement

#952 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,266 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:08

:eek:  by renault you mean LotusF1 right ???

anyway, from mark hughes

I didn't name Renault at all, so I didn't mean anything with it :p
But yes, what the article talks about, among other things, is that, since Räikkönen is going to Ferrari, Carlos Ghosn is pushing Lotus to get Alonso and end up with a drivers-swap

#953 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,750 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:11

I also understand Massa's words as SamH123 does.

Anyway, tonight, Die Welt reports Ghosn is pushing to get Alonso into the Lotus seat:
http://www.welt.de/s...mit-Alonso.html

Sounds like a fabrication to me. Renault does not own Lotus. There's not even a signed engine deal with Renault and Lotus is just a Renault customer. Also, 

Lotus is struggling with finances. Why would Fernando take Kimi's left overs? Don't believe everything you read. 

Edited by Timstr11, 09 September 2013 - 06:11.

#954 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,225 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:11

more info 

http://www.motorspor...lonso-to-lotus/

That move (kimi alonso swap) actually might not be as unlikely as it sounds.

Bild newspaper said it could coincide with a ramping up of works Renault support for the Enstone based team, backed fully by the French carmaker’s chairman Carlos Ghosn.

When asked about that potentially explosive news, Lotus team boss Eric Boullier said: “If Fernando knocks on my door, I will answer it.

“I just hope that I can pay for it!”

He is also quoted by f1news.ru: “We are trying to establish a relationship with Renault and Total, which is important from a technical standpoint but it also may help on the financial side.”

:eek:  :eek:

if true, this will make it the most spectacular domino fall in recent F1 history

Edited by eronrules, 09 September 2013 - 06:12.

#955 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,750 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:18

Has anyone realized that Works status is TOO LATE for next year?

Engine specs for next year are pretty much final.

And I don't think it's possible to have Works status with more than one team as you could have conflicting requirements.

Unless it's only about free or cheap engines.

#956 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 2,247 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:23

Well, to spice it up again, Massa after today's race:

"But it [letting Alonso pass] is important for the team because looking at the championship it is pretty difficult with Sebastian winning all the time and it could be the last possibility for Fernando [to fight for the title], I think."

http://en.espnf1.com...ory/124359.html

:cool:

Yes - to fight for this year's title.

#957 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 2,247 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:27

Frankly, if Ferrari are prepared to allow Alonso to leave for the sake of Raikkonen then (in my own view) the term "idiots" is more than warranted. I truly can't imagine Raikkonen getting anywhere near those 2010 and 2012 titles in the Ferrari.

#958 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 2,247 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:29

Has anyone realized that Works status is TOO LATE for next year?

Engine specs for next year are pretty much final.

And I don't think it's possible to have Works status with more than one team as you could have conflicting requirements.

Unless it's only about free or cheap engines.

There's not really any such thing as a works engine these days given the homologation rules (at least not in the sense that I remember the idea of a works engine from the 1990s). I believe the Ferrari engine that Sauber and STR use is exactly the same as the one Ferrari themselves use.

#959 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 949 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:40

Will Buxton ‏@willbuxton 13m
The Germans say Alonso goes back to Enstone for an incredible 3rd stint with Santander and salary assured by Renault.

Will Buxton ‏@willbuxton 11m
The Spaniards, so far at least, have heard no such thing. It’s all moving very fast. Changing all the time. Fascinating times.

Silly Season at his best. :eek:

Advertisement

#960 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,362 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:47

Adam Cooper @adamcooperf1
I'm told that Kimi Raikkonen really is going back to Ferrari. Story is Hulk was on pole around Budapest time, but team changed its mind

Adam Cooper @adamcooperf1
It seems @alo_oficial was happier with the original plan, which may explain recent tensions in the camp

#961 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,225 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:49

There's not really any such thing as a works engine these days given the homologation rules (at least not in the sense that I remember the idea of a works engine from the 1990s). I believe the Ferrari engine that Sauber and STR use is exactly the same as the one Ferrari themselves use.

actually there is, 

1. the new engines will be built keeping in mind the factory teams requirements, i.e packaging, cooling, KERS etc, a non-factory team will have to adopt to it which may sometime compromise the design philosophy. 

2. the factory team will be involved with the design process from the get go, they'll have info that would be classified to the customer teams, during development, factory teams can dictate the direction of development, thus having a head start over customer teams

3. unless the upgrades related to reliability, most performance upgrades reach the customer teams much later than the factory teams (perhaps due to upgrade availability or to maintain competitive edge, specially if customer team is in competition with the factory backed ones)

#962 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:05

There is absolutely no news what so ever on the Italian front about Alonso leaving. And they were hinting about Kimi's return over a month ago.

So I very much wink at this as a rumour for now.

#963 fer312t

fer312t

• 805 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:13

If Ferrari lets Alonso slip away they are simply insane...prepare for a bloodbath in Maranello in 2014. It will not be pretty...

#964 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,323 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:20

If Ferrari lets Alonso slip away they are simply insane...prepare for a bloodbath in Maranello in 2014. It will not be pretty...

I would hate to see him go but it seems there is a clash of egos between himself and LdM.

Yesterday I was sure that it would be Alonso - Raikkonen, but now I'm not so sure. Signing Raikkonen is LdM putting the pimp hand down.

#965 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,053 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:22

I only going to say one thing, I believe Alonso when he says that he wants to stay but at the same time only a blind man can't see that the relationship with Ferrari is not in his best moment.

He must stay one more year in Ferrari, beat Kimi (if is possible) and leave in 2015 if he is not happy. Going to Lotus or other team now, will accomplish nothing, absolutely nothing, as I said before, if you are not RB, the best place is Ferrari.

I know that Fernando is very emotional, if he feels that Montezemolo has betrayed him, I think there is a possibility that he will leave, but it will be a huge mistake, this is the point where a strong management should help him, sadly his day by day manager is weak (Abad). I think Ferrari will treat him with respect and the will give him the tools to succed in 2014, even if there is some lost love.

#966 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:30

I will take Alonso to Lotus with open arms. And Santander as well

#967 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:33

I only going to say one thing, I believe Alonso when he says that he wants to stay but at the same time only a blind man can't see that the relationship with Ferrari is not in his best moment.

He must stay one more year in Ferrari, beat Kimi (if is possible) and leave in 2015 if he is not happy. Going to Lotus or other team now, will accomplish nothing, absolutely nothing, as I said before, if you are not RB, the best place is Ferrari.

I know that Fernando is very emotional, if he feels that Montezemolo has betrayed him, I think there is a possibility that he will leave, but it will be a huge mistake, this is the point where a strong management should help him, sadly his day by day manager is weak (Abad). I think Ferrari will treat him with respect and the will give him the tools to succed in 2014, even if there is some lost love.

Montezemolo said in the BBC interview this weekend that Alonso was the best driver he'd seen at Ferrari. Pointing out how well Alonso deals with the difficult and changeable conditions in recent years.

#968 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,457 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:35

What's better for Ferrari?  Alonso/Massa or Kimi/Hulk?  I'd go with the latter, I think...

#969 autosportfan

autosportfan

• 342 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:38

Montezemolo said in the BBC interview this weekend that Alonso was the best driver he'd seen at Ferrari. Pointing out how well Alonso deals with the difficult and changeable conditions in recent years.

Actually EJ told him that that is what he has said in the past. LdM did NOT confirm it, he said "one of the best " in his repy.

#970 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 2,906 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:42

You are such a funny guy, "Ferrari president Luca Di Montezemolo says Fernando Alonso is "one of the best ever" drivers to race for the famous Italian team". Luca knows who was the best, known as real team player

Edited by 1Devil1, 09 September 2013 - 07:42.

#971 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,362 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:48

I will take Alonso to Lotus with open arms. And Santander as well

Why would Santander pay to bring Kimi to Ferrari and then pay to get Alonso out of Ferrari?

#972 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 3,023 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:51

There is absolutely no news what so ever on the Italian front about Alonso leaving. And they were hinting about Kimi's return over a month ago.

There is an opening slot at Lotus. If Santander/Alonso are not locked into Ferrari, he'll make the move. Lotus can pay him if Renault agrees to sort out his salary. Lopez said a while ago that he was having talks with Renault - he probably knew Kimi signed with Ferrari already, so he was trying to secure funding to pay for Alonso, should he decide to come. It's the best trade at Enstone: one star driver leaves, another comes. There's no need to go into details about what's in it for Alonso - raced at the team before, won 2 WDCs, team is not bad from a technical point of view, and if Renault join the board, finances are sorted out as well.

While it all sounds logical, I still don't see him moving because I don't think the relationship with Ferrari deteriorated to that extent.

#973 Oho

Oho

• 7,653 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:02

Right, Well if you want to find irreplaceable people go to a cemetery, they are filled with them...

#974 BorkoF2012

BorkoF2012

• 894 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:04

It's better for Alonso to retire than to sign for Lotus.

#975 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 3,023 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:05

Come on, guys. First Alonso drives Kimi out in 2010, now Kimi drives Alonso out in 2014. It's the supreme irony and completely impossible. First off, Alonso's reputation will hit rock bottom, as he publicly stated he doesn't care who drives alongside him. Jumping ship would prove otherwise, and he'd basically be seen as a coward by the public.

If he's bothered by Kimi's arrival, he'll suck it up and race at least one year next to him. It's just bad for anybody if he leaves.

#976 OSX

OSX

• 4,247 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:10

Montezemolo said in the BBC interview this weekend that Alonso was the best driver he'd seen at Ferrari.

Um... no, he did not.

https://www.youtube....h?v=emxmSkMfdfw

#977 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:12

It's better for Alonso to retire than to sign for Lotus.

huh why? As far as I can recall, he has more titles with Enstone than with Maranello so far  :rotfl:

#978 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,266 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:12

I agree that, depending on who's involved in a story, the reliability of a rumour depends a lot on the nationality of the media.

In this case, I would keep an eye on Spanish media. I have not read anything about Alonso leaving yet but, for example, today morning, two of the biggest newspapers (Abc and El Mundo) have already published stories suggesting getting Räikkönen is a bad idea

#979 BorkoF2012

BorkoF2012

• 894 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:16

huh why? As far as I can recall, he has more titles with Enstone than with Maranello so far  :rotfl:

That was Renault. Almost none of the most important people, who were there when Alonso won his two titles, are there anymore. Also their financial stability is under huge question mark.

Advertisement

#980 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:19

That was Renault. Almost none of the most important people, who were there when Alonso won his two titles, are there anymore. Also their financial stability is under huge question mark.

but if Renault will make them their works team, wouldn't it secure their financial stability and improve further more the tehcnical side?

#981 BorkoF2012

BorkoF2012

• 894 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:22

If Renault buys them back, it will be a different story. But there are too many ifs

#982 Jvr

Jvr

• 770 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:23

Um... no, he did not.

https://www.youtube....h?v=emxmSkMfdfw

Thanks for sharing! Interestingly Luca says that Alonso "particularily in the race, is one of the best" ...

So is he subtly implying that out of the race he is not...? The most complete driver?;)

#983 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,320 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:27

Ask the man himself where he's planning on driving...

@alo_oficial41s

This afternoon at 18:00 we do a Q&A #askAlo ! you will know firsthand all your questions ..  ;) ! See you later ! Thaaaanks !

https://twitter.com/...984400309002240

#984 BorkoF2012

BorkoF2012

• 894 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:31

Thanks for sharing! Interestingly Luca says that Alonso "particularily in the race, is one of the best" ...

So is he subtly implying that out of the race he is not...? The most complete driver?;)

He said one of the best drivers ever, not one the best drivers currently.

#985 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,564 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:13

Alonso isn't going back to Mclaren. No way you can blackmail a team with threats to reveal their cheating unless they back him for the championship and ever expect to be welcomed with open arms.

#986 Jvr

Jvr

• 770 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:20

TJ13 is having doubts about how genuinely Alonso is happy about last weekend:

"Every time Fernando has been seen with a microphone in front of his face this weekend, he has been beaming, complementing Massa – “He was perfect” in qualifying – and exuding sugar and sweetness"

and:
"This fantastic weekend saw Alonso lost further ground to Vettel – who must now be red hot favourite to retain his title unless a rogue squadron of Lancaster bombers target Milton Keynes manufacturing base. If anyone believes Alonso has suddenly decided to appreciate the finer things in life rather eg the adoration of the Tifosi and the beautiful setting in which the Autodromo in Monza is set – think again."

So the obvious question is, Why Alonso starts suddenly behave like Mr. Sunbeam? Is the situation moving from him being unhappy at Ferrari into that he is getting concerned about his seat?

Read it all at http://thejudge13.com/

Edited by Jvr, 09 September 2013 - 09:24.

#987 Lennat

Lennat

• 507 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:30

I wouldn't be COMPLETELY surprised if he went to Mclaren. It is the best avaliable team, and he is the best available driver (IF he is available). I'm not saying they would be able to get over 2007, but a deal WOULD make sense in many ways. :)

#988 Raifosa

Raifosa

• 468 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:36

I was tipped off about an Alonso-Lotus move a week ago (by a Kimi source). Seemed so unlikely, but now that rumour is gathering momentum

Ted Kravitz @tedkravitz 7m @SportmphMark: Am hearing Kimi/Ferrari deal now agreed. > Alo won't like equal no.1 status + maybe a Merc powered team better for '14 regs

#989 Sabre1977

Sabre1977

• 135 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:38

A very huge mistake from Alonso if he leaves the team. I think he would be very upset whith the fact that Kimi is the chosen one (Not because he is afraid of kimi skills instead of  it´s in an implicit way , the recognition of Ferrari was wrong firing kimi to adopt the model of Alonso as a number one driver), but Ferrari is more than a team, is still a competitive team  (maybe the best of the rest), and of course better than Lotus. I know that Alonso must have her mouth closed more often, but sometimes he has the reason on his side with the things he say.

Anyway....

It´s a very huge mistake from Ferrari to let Alonso go to other team. It´s not only because i think is the best driver of the grid (It´s my opinion, but the general consensus is that is one of the best). The problem is that Alonso  is a sure value of performing (4 years in a row doing miracles with underperforming Ferraris), Ferrari knows that Kimi is a very, very good driver but cannot be sure if can do the same as Alonso (maybe yes, maybe not). What if the real Raikkonen is the same than 2007,2008, and 2009, when he can´t outperform Massa as alonso does actually? Maybe Felipe it´s not he same after the accident...but maybe yes. In 2007 (The best year of Raikkonen in Ferrari) Kimi only beat Massa by 16 points (One race and a Half, about 40 points of difference with the actual points system). The mean difference between Alo an Mas is more than five complete races in the 3 years completed(135 points...difficult to explain only by team orders).Nowadays, in a difficult year of Alonso, with 6 races to go, he has almost 4 races of advantage (90 points).

I think in Ferrari could be underestimating the achivements Alonso can do. I don´t know if Kimi could match these achivements with 2010, 2011,2012 and 2013 cars, but i think is almost impossible to anybody surpass them. In conclussion, I think Ferrari must handle this situation better in order to retain such a wonderful driver.

Edited by Sabre1977, 09 September 2013 - 09:42.

#990 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:43

And just to think that yesterday afternoon everybody thought this thread was solved :rotfl:

#991 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 514 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:50

A very huge mistake from Alonso if he leaves the team. I think he would be very upset whith the fact that Kimi is the chosen one (Not because he is afraid of kimi skills instead of  it´s in an implicit way , the recognition of Ferrari was wrong firing kimi to adopt the model of Alonso as a number one driver), but Ferrari is more than a team, is still a competitive team  (maybe the best of the rest), and of course better than Lotus. I know that Alonso must have her mouth closed more often, but sometimes he has the reason on his side with the things he say.

Anyway....

It´s a very huge mistake from Ferrari to let Alonso go to other team. It´s not only because i think is the best driver of the grid (It´s my opinion, but the general consensus is that is one of the best). The problem is that Alonso  is a sure value of performing (4 years in a row doing miracles with underperforming Ferraris), Ferrari knows that Kimi is a very, very good driver but cannot be sure if can do the same as Alonso (maybe yes, maybe not). What if the real Raikkonen is the same than 2007,2008, and 2009, when he can´t outperform Massa as alonso does actually? Maybe Felipe it´s not he same after the accident...but maybe yes. In 2007 (The best year of Raikkonen in Ferrari) Kimi only beat Massa by 16 points (One race and a Half, about 40 points of difference with the actual points system). The mean difference between Alo an Mas is more than five complete races in the 3 years completed(135 points...difficult to explain only by team orders).Nowadays, in a difficult year of Alonso, with 6 races to go, he has almost 4 races of advantage (90 points).

I think in Ferrari could be underestimating the achivements Alonso can do. I don´t know if Kimi could match these achivements with 2010, 2011,2012 and 2013 cars, but i think is almost impossible to anybody surpass them. In conclussion, I think Ferrari must handle this situation better in order to retain such a wonderful driver.

Everybody knows how good he is as a driver. If he goes, it's not because of that. Some say that they're hiring Kimi to bring Alonso's feet on the ground and to remind him that it's still Ferrari who has the control of things. I hope that they'll solve it out IF that's the case. Usually these sort of stories aren't true though and I don't think if i'm buying it this time either...

Maybe as a protest to that Alonso could leave... But I hope that won't happen. 

Edited by Miggeex, 09 September 2013 - 09:50.

#992 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 1,179 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:51

A very huge mistake from Alonso if he leaves the team.

Anyway....

It´s a very huge mistake from Ferrari to let Alonso go to other team.

People were saying the same thing about Lewis to Merc last year though, about how it would be a huge error for him personally. They're not saying that anymore....

'If' the rumours about the Ferrari engine not being great are true, then maybe Alonso is tempted.

#993 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:53

If Ferrari replaces Alonso with Kimi, watching the races next year with my Alonso-fan brother will become just as intense as if Kimi joins Alonso at Ferrari. :p

Only downside for me and upside for him of the first scenario is that neither of us is a fan of Ferrari :lol:

#994 Jvr

Jvr

• 770 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:57

Rtl is telling Alonso is leaving:
http://www.rtl.de/cm...34-1624239.html

#995 Owen

Owen

• 10,582 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:59

@AdamHayNicholls 1m

Alonso to Lotus rumour says Santander will go with him. If it's true, it's a massive coup

#996 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:02

Rtl is telling Alonso is leaving:
http://www.rtl.de/cm...34-1624239.html

Hmm, RTL reporting it now.... I will laugh so hard if Alonso really runs away from Kimi :rotfl:

#997 Gorma

Gorma

• 1,515 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:03

the recognition of Ferrari was wrong firing kimi to adopt the model of Alonso as a number one driver)

You'd have to be a complete idiot to think that Ferrari was wrong at hiring Alonso. Sure they were idiots for firing Kimi, because Kimi could have helped Ferrari to a championship by finishing in front of Vettel. That is something Massa hasn't been able to do. In fact this season Kimi is the only one who has been able to be finish in front of Vettel four times (not counting Silverstone). Alonso has been able to do that three times, Lewis twice. 

I hope that Alonso moves to Lotus, because if Kimi joins Ferrari then Lotus is in big big trouble and only Alonso has so many sponsors that he could save the team.

#998 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 514 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:03

If it happens, that'll be disappointment for me  :cry: It's so close that we would finally see Kimi & Alo in the same time. Hoped for that since 2005 pretty much.

#999 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 2,247 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:04

Hmm, RTL reporting it now.... I will laugh so hard if Alonso really runs away from Kimi :rotfl:

Not half as much as I will if Ferrari ends up 4th in next year's WCC. I mean, there's a reason they ditched Kimi in the first place (lack of communication/leadership and a general air of not being all that arsed). What has changed in the intervening years? Kimi has thrived at Lotus becuase they've basically just left him alone to do the driving and not bother with anything else such as PR appearances and the like; that won't be the case at Ferrari where he will be expected to toe the political line, which was precisely what he hated about it in 2009.

Edited by wj_gibson, 09 September 2013 - 10:09.

Advertisement

#1000 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,980 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:05

If Alonso leaves because of Kimi arriving and flees to his old team for a second time he'll be the laughing stock of recent years. What a sore loser if he does that.