Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Who will be granted the Toro Rosso seat?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
103 replies to this topic

#1 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 23:03

With Ricciardo headed to Red Bull who is in the running for Torro Rosso in 2014?

Advertisement

#2 P123

P123

• 23,968 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 23:05

Most likely Antonio Felix da Costa.

#3 Anja

Anja

• 10,355 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 23:08

Da Costa is the obvious candidate, but his recent form doesn't make this so certain. As the other drivers from Red Bull's programme are probably not ready yet I've heard that Nasr could be a possibility. Maybe Frijns, if he wouldn't have better options and apologized to Dr Marko nicely?  ;)

#4 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 23:10

Really hoping its da Costa (I read he had an STR seat fitting this week) but I'm not sure he's as much of a shoe in as he once was. Nasr and Sainz are also in the running.

Edited by goingthedistance, 02 September 2013 - 23:11.

#5 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 23:22

Da Costa is the obvious candidate, but his recent form doesn't make this so certain. As the other drivers from Red Bull's programme are probably not ready yet I've heard that Nasr could be a possibility. Maybe Frijns, if he wouldn't have better options and apologized to Dr Marko nicely?  ;)

Red Bull seems to hold grudges pretty well. But, STR isn't fully Red Bull. I don't believe Red Bull was fully onboard with Bourdais, and Red Bull had kepy Buemi and Speed onboard in some capacity after kicking them to the curb. 

But DaCosta more or less has the seat locked down. He was talked about it before even this year (in rumor) as a replacement if Vergne or Riccardo gets the boot from STR this season. 

#6 Seano

Seano

• 358 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 23:44

Massa? If he parts company with Ferrari it could be good place to recover. He's not going to get a better seat in F1 at the moment and he still has something to offer to F1 and the team,

It doesn't fit in withe academy ladder but it could be quite beneficial to both parties.

#7 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 23:45

I hope it isn't Sainz - I like him and really want him to do well and it is just too soon at the moment, he needs at least two more years in the junior series so he can really get a chance to perform in F1.

I agree with the above that none of the other drivers are really ready yet. I wonder if they might give Da Costa the seat, but with a review after half the season? The only other option might be one of the Audi DTM drivers (Red Bull do sponsor one of the Audi teams) - you have got Adrien Tambay, Filipe Albuquerque and Miguel Molina (who drove the Red Bull Audi in 2012) all of whom have previously raced in FR3.5 and who I am sure would be happy to trade a midcard DTM ride for something more.

This does seem to be good news for JE Vergne though, he might have found his seat at risk were there two drivers in GP2 or FR3.5 ready to come up.

#8 st99

st99

• 385 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 23:45

Da costa.

Neither Sainz or Kvyat are ready yet, maybe for some test next year but not for the full season.

There are rumours that Nasr could be also in the running for the seat but hadn't he rejected being part of the junior team?

#9 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 23:47

Massa? If he parts company with Ferrari it could be good place to recover. He's not going to get a better seat in F1 at the moment and he still has something to offer to F1 and the team,

It doesn't fit in withe academy ladder but it could be quite beneficial to both parties.

Can't see it at all. Massa himself has said he has no interest in taking a step down and Toro Rosso are not going to want a declining veteran racer, would completely destroy their very raison d'etre. If he loses his F1 seat, Massa will end up in AF Corse in the FIA WEC next season, I would put money on it.

#10 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 23:52

Da Costa is the obvious choice.

Sainz, Kvya and Visser aren't ready yet.

#11 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 23:52

I hope it isn't Sainz - I like him and really want him to do well and it is just too soon at the moment, he needs at least two more years in the junior series so he can really get a chance to perform in F1.

I agree with the above that none of the other drivers are really ready yet. I wonder if they might give Da Costa the seat, but with a review after half the season? The only other option might be one of the Audi DTM drivers (Red Bull do sponsor one of the Audi teams) - you have got Adrien Tambay, Filipe Albuquerque and Miguel Molina (who drove the Red Bull Audi in 2012) all of whom have previously raced in FR3.5 and who I am sure would be happy to trade a midcard DTM ride for something more.

This does seem to be good news for JE Vergne though, he might have found his seat at risk were there two drivers in GP2 or FR3.5 ready to come up.

Like said above, Sainz is young and his season in GP3 hasn't been that impressive (seeing who his name is and the hype about him). 

As for the DTM thing, Jamie Green has long past his F1 due date (like Gary Paffett), and Matti Ekstrom is the same. Wickens still has a personal sponsorship from Red Bull on his helmet, but was last connected with Red Bull as a driver in his F2 season in '09. He's still closest being a member of the Mercedes Junior Team, to an F1 seat in DTM. The 18 year old (name escapes me) who is with Mercedes looks good as well, abandoned his single seater career too early. 

I think Verge is okay for one more season. I think he is in the same place where Buemi was. Had some good results, but being on STR when Red Bull isn't looking for a guy to move up to the big team is a problem spot. Nobody since Liuzzi has moved to another team from Toro Rosso and had any results. And even Liuzzi's results with Force India and HRT where not that good. 

#12 John Player

John Player

• 600 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 00:12

Felipe Nasr

#13 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,239 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:40

Banking on AFdC. As much as I can't wait to see Sainz Jr. in F1, he's a long shot and probably not yet ready. Beitske Visser would be cool, but I don't think she's ready yet either; would not want to see her go the Danica Patrick route and become a marketing tool, especially by being given the seat undeservedly. Frijns shot himself in the foot by turning down Red Bull, 'cause he'd almost certainly have a prime seat at Toro Rosso now to use as a springboard to go elsewhere if not RBR.

Vergne's job security at this point is also practically zero if he gets outshone by whoever his new teammate is; having already been passed over for Ricciardo, I'm sure Red Bull will give him the boot as soon as they find someone else quicker than him. Fair or unfair, he needs to raise his game on the double if he wants to stay in F1.

#14 Kyo

Kyo

• 1,313 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:59

I believe it is between Antonio Felix da Costa and Felipe Nasr. Wouldn't bet in anyone else.

#15 Amaroo Park

Amaroo Park

• 334 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:06

Go for a long shot and put Mitch Evans in the car.

#16 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:32

Would like to see Redbull's young Dutch female racer, Beitske Visser.

#17 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:02

Antonio Felix da Costa. But his recent forms have been quite worrisome....

#18 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:09

Raikkonen

#19 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:11

Sainz

(it will be da Costa, but that will not work)

Edited by SealTheDiffuser, 03 September 2013 - 09:12.

Advertisement

#20 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:17

Well, I wish for Frijns but I don't think that a potentially maverick and PR-disregarding character fits the Red Bull image, sadly, even though I think he's got more potential than da Cotsa and Sainz Jr.

#21 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:28

Alolso.

#22 g1n

g1n

• 894 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:37

Chilton, I am 100% sure of it.

#23 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,337 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:43

Antonio Felix da Costa is the most logical choice. He's been made ready to step in for the last year now. Though I'm sure Bernie wil try to pull some strings to get Felipe Nasr in if Massa retires and there are no Brazilian drivers anymore.

#24 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:48

It will be funny if JEV starts beating Dan comfortably  till the end of 2013.

And im sure da Costa will get the seat of DR.

#25 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,856 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:49

I think it will be Da Costa because although he didn't get good results this year, it's because of he has many mechanical problems.

On the other side: With Vettel and Ricciardo are in long-term contracts with Red Bull und Vergne still is at Toro Rosso there is no need to bring a new Red Bull Junior in F1. So perhaps they will take a driver with money (Nasr or Cecotto jr.).

#26 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:52

I think it will be Da Costa because although he didn't get good results this year, it's because of he has many mechanical problems.

On the other side: With Vettel and Ricciardo are in long-term contracts with Red Bull und Vergne still is at Toro Rosso there is no need to bring a new Red Bull Junior in F1. So perhaps they will take a driver with money (Nasr or Cecotto jr.).

Im pretty sure Vettel is of to Ferrari sooner rather then later.  And i believe JEV will get his shot at RBR too...

#27 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:54

Surely Da Costa has it sealed. We know this year's campaign in WSR is a bad one but keeping in mind what he did in 2012 in more than one series he truly deserves it. It would be a shame otherwise.

#28 Peat

Peat

• 8,872 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:11

It'll be Da Costa.

Didn't Nasr famously reject an RB sponsorship offer in the past as he said it was too restrictive? Or was that Frijins?

#29 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:20

It'll be Da Costa.

Didn't Nasr famously reject an RB sponsorship offer in the past as he said it was too restrictive? Or was that Frijins?

I think it's both.

#30 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:45

New seat!! https://vine.co/v/h5FEOTQMDY2 

#31 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:48

So da Costa has effectively confirmed himself as TR driver. This deserves a slap on the wrist from the PR department. :stoned:

#32 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:49

Would like to see Redbull's young Dutch female racer, Beitske Visser.

Why? What on earth has she even done to merit such a promotion? She's hardly dominating the championship she's in right now, is she?

Edited by JHSingo, 03 September 2013 - 11:50.

#33 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:53

I imagine that da Costa will get some FP1 running later in the season at the fly-away rounds before they confirm him. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't actually get the seat confirmed until after the end of the season.

#34 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,223 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:53

It'll certainly be Felix da Costa provided he wins at least 1 race in the remaining rounds of the WSR season.

#35 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 13:01

So da Costa has effectively confirmed himself as TR driver. This deserves a slap on the wrist from the PR department. :stoned:

Pic isn't of a Toro Rosso though?

#36 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,806 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 13:01

Hope it's da Costa. Simply because I think he's the most talented Portuguese driver ever. If he doesn't cut it after all the work, performance and promises then might as well forget all portuguese track drivers investments. 

#37 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 13:10

Da Costa is in the pound seat but his career has returned to the mean average of what it was before 2012. He had a great 6 months but other than that he's not exactly set the world alight. Sure he's had bad luck this year but he's not been outstanding either.

I would be very surprised if someone else gets that seat, Sainz, Kvyat, Blomqvist etc aren't ready yet and i doubt they'd take on someone outside of the RB driver programme.

#38 CrossF1

CrossF1

• 97 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 13:12

How the hell did he confirm that he will be in Toro Rosso by having a new seat made for his Formula Renault 3.5 car??

#39 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 1,808 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 13:49

The seat fitting could be for Red Bull F1: he's going to be 3rd driver in one of the next GP's (can't remember which one, now)

edit: it's Singapore

edit2: It's got his name on it, so it must be his FR3.5 car.

Edited by JRodrigues, 03 September 2013 - 13:53.

Advertisement

#40 spaceace1977

spaceace1977

• 282 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 13:52

IF Da Costa performs very well he is in I guess. Otherwise Frijns is the driver for STR if they are looking for talent.

Da Costa is the obvious candidate, but his recent form doesn't make this so certain. As the other drivers from Red Bull's programme are probably not ready yet I've heard that Nasr could be a possibility. Maybe Frijns, if he wouldn't have better options and apologized to Dr Marko nicely

Actually, here is the story about Frijns and Red Bull. 

Google Translate: http://translate.goo...es-voor-frijns/

#41 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 13:52

How the hell did he confirm that he will be in Toro Rosso by having a new seat made for his Formula Renault 3.5 car??

I know..my bad. I thought at first he was showing the TR seat already. Apologies to da Casta :blush:

#42 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 15:04

I hope they snatch up Frijns, but Da Costa seems like the most likely option. Still a good choice though.

#43 rjsports

rjsports

• 573 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 15:40

Well at least one things for sure, it will be a talented driver. Unless they let Checotto jump in that car... But I highly doubt that. Probably Felix da Costa and maybe Sainz will be the new reserve driver.

#44 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 3,495 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 16:08

i hope for either da Costa or Robert Wickens.

Both country needs a F1 driver and if da Costa succeeds, maybe we'll see a return of Portuguese GP at the exciting new track - forgot the name.

#45 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,806 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 16:31

Portimão.

#46 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 17:45

if Bernie has anything to do with it, then Felipe Nasr has higher chance than Felix The cat

#47 katmen

katmen

• 825 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 18:03

There will be shootout for seat at STR and winning series title will be a huge plus.

#48 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 387 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 21:52

It will be da Costa next year, then Carlito will replace Vergne.

#49 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 23:43

I don't get it why people keep mentioning Nasr. He refused the offer in the past so it doesn't make any sense from RB's perspective to pick him over their Portuguese pupil. Da Costa and after that Sainz jr. and Kvyat.

Edited by OvDrone, 03 September 2013 - 23:45.

#50 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:30

Da Costa.

Although Red Bull have some real lean years with their young driver program, there are no real standout talents close to F1.