* * * * * 4 votes

Sebastien Bourdais on Sebastian Vettel

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 21:01

BBC talked to Sebastien Bourdais, as the only other driver to have been team-mates with Sebastian Vettel for a whole season, to see what could be waiting for Daniel.

What I thought was very interesting was the following:

His main strength is he is naturally gifted and has awesome car control and that allows him to drive a car on the limit with oversteer (when the front of the car has more grip than the rear) all the time - and that tends to be the quickest way in Formula 1.

Considering Vettel's been excellent in using the Red Bull's rear-grip design philosophy, it's an interesting reminder of his performance in the more tail-happy Torro Rosso.

Edited by mnmracer, 03 September 2013 - 21:02.

Advertisement

#2 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 21:05

As I recall, Bourdais was much more competitive with him initially and then they upgraded the car and it went a bit more tail-happy.

#3 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,456 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 21:11

Only because Vettel was punted out of three out of the first five races (those in the old car) on the very first lap.

#4 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 21:18

I found Bourdais' comments interesting, especially his belief that initially he thought Seb was lacking mental strength. He came through a tortuous RB programme and has rebounded after low point & disappointments s to win titles in both years (2010 Spa,Turkey,Korea and 2012 Malaysia, Valencia, Abu Dhabi, Brazil) but the article does have some errors

It was 2-5 in Liuzzis favour in terms of results, not 2-7, but points were 5-3 for Seb

He didn't crash in the first 5 races-  Blameless in all 3 of his incidents, had an engine go in Malaysia and had a puncture in Turkey

SB didn't get battered for 1 1/2 years- only with him for 1 year

I find Seb's Toro Rosso career gets misinterpreted or forgotten altogether by people, who only see him since 2009 when he had a competitive car and were so obsessed with Hamilton's title challenges in 07 and 08, maybe didn't even know Vettel was in there too.

#5 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 21:19

I wasn't going purely on running order at the end of the first lap. But thanks for making this the typical RC thread.

#6 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 21:34

Australia - qualifying: Vettel p10, Bourdais p18
Australia - race: 1st lap retirement Vettel
Malaysia - qualifying: Vettel p15, Bourdais p19
Malaysia - race: 1st lap retirement Bourdais
Bahrain- qualifying: Bourdais p15, Vettel p19
Bahrain - race: 1st lap retirement Vettel
Spain - qualifying: Bourdais p16, Vettel p17
Spain - race: 1st lap retirement Vettel
Turkey - qualifying: Vettel p14, Bourdais p18
Turkey - race: retirement Bourdais
Monaco - qualifying: Vettel p14, Bourdais p16
Monaco - race: retirement Bourdais
Canada - qualifying: no time Vettel
Canada - race: Vettel p8, Bourdais p13
France  - qualifying: Vettel p13, Bourdais p14
France - race: Vettel p12, Bourdais p17
Britain - qualifying: Vettel p8, Bourdais p13
Britain - race: 1st lap retirement Vettel
Germany - qualifying: Vettel p9, Bourdais p15
Germany - race: Vettel p8, Bourdais p12
Hungary - qualifying: Vettel p11, Bourdais p14
Hungary - race: Vettel retires
Valencia - qualifying: Vettel p6, Bourdais p10
Valencia - race: Vettel p6, Bourdais p10
Belgium - qualifying: Bourdais p9, Vettel p10
Belgium - race: Vettel p5, Bourdais p7
Italy - qualifying: Vettel p1, Bourdais p3
Italy - race: Vettel p1, Bourdais p18
Singapore - qualifying: Vettel p7, Bourdais p17
Singapore - race: Vettel p5, Bourdais p12
Japan - qualifying: Vettel p9, Bourdais p10
Japan - race: Vettel p6, Bourdais p10
China - qualifying: Vettel p8, Bourdais p10
China - race: Vettel p9, Bourdais p13
Brazil - qualifying: Vettel p7, Bourdais p9
Brazil - race: Vettel p4, Bourdais p14

#7 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 21:46

SB's words sound about right with what we've heard from Seb.  I think Daniel is aware of how hard it is to make one's way in any motorsport, let alone F1, good car or not.  He understands that he has a lot of hard work ahead.  Nonetheless, it is a great opportunity to be in RBR and also to have a teammate like Seb he can learn from. 

#8 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 21:47

Just watch his Suzuka 2012 pole lap and you'll see what Bourdais means. 

#9 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 21:49

Yeah, in qualifying, Bourdais was not that much off, and on race pace, in F1 a driver's finish doesn't reflect everything IMO. Outside a driver caused accident, things like strategy and reliability play a major factor in the race result.

But like Ross is kinda asking, when did this be about Bourdais' credentials?

The argument about mental toughness can be made back at the guy saying it though. Bourdais has seemingly fallen apart from his Champ Car years. True that car isn't the best, but he transitioned well from F3 and F3000 to Champ Car and then to F1 @ Toro Rosso. But after getting the boot for Alguersuari, he hasn't been the same driver. Had good runs in IndyCar and sports cars, but not close to the dominating machine who IMO, chased away many investors and backers of Champ Car. 

Vettel was just another top young driver. He had the sport ingrained that everything was natural. From the driver to the media (as a long time Red Bull employee). He just had the chance to get into was some of the best Grand Prix car of all time at an age where most drivers are still in the junior formula or with a lower tier F1 program. That's why their is such scrutiny and criticism about him. He's too young to be that good for many people who've followed the sport for the last few decades. 

#10 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,528 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 21:55

Bourdais was on course to 4th place in his very first F1 race until Ferrari engine blew. IMO he was as quick as Vettel but mentally much more softer guy.

Edited by Baddoer, 03 September 2013 - 21:56.

#11 Iremos

Iremos

• 116 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 21:57

Yeah, in qualifying, Bourdais was not that much off, and on race pace, in F1 a driver's finish doesn't reflect everything IMO. Outside a driver caused accident, things like strategy and reliability play a major factor in the race result.

But like Ross is kinda asking, when did this be about Bourdais' credentials?

The argument about mental toughness can be made back at the guy saying it though. Bourdais has seemingly fallen apart from his Champ Car years. True that car isn't the best, but he transitioned well from F3 and F3000 to Champ Car and then to F1 @ Toro Rosso. But after getting the boot for Alguersuari, he hasn't been the same driver. Had good runs in IndyCar and sports cars, but not close to the dominating machine who IMO, chased away many investors and backers of Champ Car. 

Vettel was just another top young driver. He had the sport ingrained that everything was natural. From the driver to the media (as a long time Red Bull employee). He just had the chance to get into was some of the best Grand Prix car of all time at an age where most drivers are still in the junior formula or with a lower tier F1 program. That's why their is such scrutiny and criticism about him. He's too young to be that good for many people who've followed the sport for the last few decades. 

I have to disagree, not his success at such a young age raises dislike towards his persona, but his arrogance, asocial behaviour and his boasting: finger, derogatory comments about other drivers and his team-mate which shows a lack of respect towards others.

#12 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 22:04

I have to disagree, not his success at such a young age raises dislike towards his persona, but his arrogance, asocial behaviour and his boasting: finger, derogatory comments about other drivers and his team-mate which shows a lack of respect towards others.

If that was true, there would be a whole bunch of other drivers getting the same stick. Nice theory, but it doesn't work.

#13 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 22:05

But how many other young driver's do that? Most. Just most have grown out of it by the time they reach F1. It is obvious Red Bull, other sponsors, or his family did not mind him becoming a bit of an (insert derogatory word of choice), over becoming a top flight race driver. 

#14 Racer3

Racer3

• 425 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 22:05

his arrogance, asocial behaviour and his boasting: finger, derogatory comments about other drivers and his team-mate which shows a lack of respect towards others.

Alter ego of Karne? OMG, the bitterness...

Cf. Bourdais: "He was obviously very fast and a fine chap to work with. Absolutely, we got on."

#15 Winter98

Winter98

• 638 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 22:07

You must hate all the drivers.

#16 sv401

sv401

• 757 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 22:14

Bourdais was on course to 4th place in his very first F1 race until Ferrari engine blew.

Not that impressive once you consider that only 6 drivers actually finished the - rather chaotic - race.

#17 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:03

Seriously?

Theres some pretty big parts of his personality that grate with me, but the finger criticism baffles me everytime. Everyone has mannerisms that just kind of flow out when theyre happy/excited, and he's not the first person to do the 'number 1' gesture when proving he is .... in any sport

#18 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:19

You could see he was on his way up. He was obviously very fast and a fine chap to work with. Absolutely, we got on.

My favorite quote of it, for everyone saying Vettel is a terrible person to have a teammate

#19 HeadFirst

HeadFirst

• 6,121 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:35

You could see he was on his way up. He was obviously very fast and a fine chap to work with. Absolutely, we got on.

My favorite quote of it, for everyone saying Vettel is a terrible person to have a teammate

I have a great deal of respect for Bourdais and don't doubt that he is sincere, so what happened to THAT Seb to give us the guy we have today?

Advertisement

#20 Romulan

Romulan

• 325 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:26

"He was clearly very motivated, young, full of energy, never leaving anything undone," said the Frenchman [Bourdais] . . . ."  "In the race, he was always very aggressive, even with his team-mate."

"But if you see an opportunity and you know you can make it stick, you've got to go for it, that's why you're getting paid. You have to try and finish as high as you can.["]

"If it turns out to be a disaster, and big carnage, that's different, but as long as you can make it work, it's worth the risk. So I'm not surprised that he always goes for it. He's wants to win. That's what makes him a champion." - Bourdais

These metrics can be used to measure the value of any champion in any sport:

1.  Talent and training.

2.  Goal setting: setting the goal of driving for a Formula 1 team is lofty all by itself.  And, as most of us know, Sebastian has stated his desire to break as many (positive) records as possible.

3.  He has "tunnel vision".

4.  An insatiable quest for knowledge.

5.  Fearless execution.

#21 Romulan

Romulan

• 325 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:32

"In the 2011 Canadian Grand Prix, he was caught out by the tricky conditions and relinquished victory on the last lap to McLaren's Jenson Button."

I remember watching this race.  The BBC commentators claimed that Jenson Button scared poor Sebastian clean off the track.  Nonsense.

#22 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:18

well hes like most people, can have a good side, and a bad side, and a annoying side.

so yeah, he does swerve from being likeable, to really, REALLY? moments.

being at the front also changes stuff, makes it harder

#23 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,294 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:11

Bourdais is very gracious in this interview, I have to admire him for that. Not to put down Vettel's achievement that year at all - to win in a Toro Rosso is a great achievement - but Bourdais' luck was atrocious at the least opportune moments. To be able to put that to one side and view Vettel as a team mate from a less subjective perspective is praiseworthy.

A good read.

#24 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:47

I wished my answers could ever be so neutral... xD I put too many emotions in my answers xD...

... guess it is because I'm admittedly a little bit of a fangirl... but I agree with what bourbon says... :up:

I enjoy your posts, Sin, don't change.  :up:,

Bourdais is very gracious in this interview, I have to admire him for that. Not to put down Vettel's achievement that year at all - to win in a Toro Rosso is a great achievement - but Bourdais' luck was atrocious at the least opportune moments. To be able to put that to one side and view Vettel as a team mate from a less subjective perspective is praiseworthy.

A good read.

That is true, Bourdais was gracious in that interview - he is always pretty gracious.  In an interiew back in STRF days he talked about meeting Seb and he was equally gracious. 

Interviewer:  You are already familiar with the team, but how about your new team mate Sebastian Vettel?
SB: "I did not know Sebastian Vettel until the Barcelona test. He seems like a nice guy, quiet, open, confident, quick and precise in the information he gives - a good team mate who is easy to get on with. I don't see any problem with him. I think he even speaks French reasonably well!" 

http://www.formula1....07/12/7153.html

We have also DiResta, who granted, mainly advised us that he beat Vettel in their stint as teammates in F3, but he did end off calling him a friend, so I think that is another example that Seb can get along with teammates - even one who is beating him.

Edited by bourbon, 04 September 2013 - 06:51.

#25 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:51

As I recall, Bourdais was much more competitive with him initially and then they upgraded the car and it went a bit more tail-happy.

It is common knowledge that a racing car is always designed/set up with oversteer tendency because of its ability to carry far more speed through a corner than an understeer car. It is far more difficult to control than an understeer car, but it is faster and a skilled driver would be able to take advantage of this characteristic.

#26 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,310 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:47

Bourdais' luck was not good to be paired with Vettel. At that moment nobody could know that and Bourdais being pretty close on occasions (and a bit faster at times) seemed like terrible under performing so he got the boot.

Years go by and looking at Vettel's statistics Bourdais was not that bad at all. Of course he will talk Vettel up :)

#27 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,223 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:14

I'm quite surprised Bourdais has actually something good to say about someone else, nevermind a team-mate that beat him, in his one and only F1 chance no less. Bourdais has always sounded like an immensely bitter individual in right about anything he says.

Asocial behaviour? What?

It is common knowledge that a racing car is always designed/set up with oversteer tendency because of its ability to carry far more speed through a corner than an understeer car. It is far more difficult to control than an understeer car, but it is faster and a skilled driver would be able to take advantage of this characteristic.

No that's total bullshit and one of the biggest myths in racing. Oversteer makes you lose time just like understeer makes you lose time, what you ideally want is a car that is planted and has neither behaviour, although a car pushed to the limit rarely manages to be fully neutral and stable. What happens is that a lot of popular talented drivers are comfortable with oversteer and it looks cool so it's been romanticized to death.

#28 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:25

Bourdais acquitted himself reasonably well against Vettel in hindsight. Unfortunately, it was the "not acquitting himself well" against Buemi that rather threw him into disarray.

Perhaps with 4 titles under his belt elsewhere he felt that F1 might come a bit more "naturally" than it would; which wouldn't be surprising, tbh.

#29 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:41

Winners will always have haters.

#30 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,528 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:44

Not that impressive once you consider that only 6 drivers actually finished the - rather chaotic - race.

For a rookie in a very slow car - impressive as it is. He was well keeping Alonso and Kovalainen behind which is already an achievement.

Edited by Baddoer, 04 September 2013 - 09:51.

#31 sv401

sv401

• 757 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:28

For a rookie in a very slow car - impressive as it is. He was well keeping Alonso and Kovalainen behind which is already an achievement.

The Renault was not a particularly great car at the beginning of 2008. Vettel even outqualified Alonso (P10 vs. P12, P21 for Piquet Jr.) at the same race weekend.

#32 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,528 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:48

The Renault was not a particularly great car at the beginning of 2008. Vettel even outqualified Alonso (P10 vs. P12, P21 for Piquet Jr.) at the same race weekend.

Super Aguri was 10 and 11 on the grid and ahead of Williams year before. Qualifying says little about car pace in first races of the season since everyone is yet to find optimal car setup.

#33 KavB

KavB

• 1,594 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:50

A good read.

I agree. His points tally isn't reflective of his efforts in 2008. He was unfairly penalised in Japan, had that engine failure in Australia, stalled his engine in Monza when he could have scored solid points and I recall in Belgium he was on course to get a podium with one lap to go and was beating Vettel all weekend long but dropped to 7th and behind Vettel on the final lap. Vettel beat him convincingly but it wasn't like Bourdais was awful. 

He was never going to be a top driver, but he was fairly solid. Now that we've seen Vettel dominate F1, we can say with hindsight that Bourdais was a pretty good driver. 

#34 sv401

sv401

• 757 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:25

Super Aguri was 10 and 11 on the grid and ahead of Williams year before.

By 1 position. Super Aguri also was not that bad at the beginning of 2007, and was beating the factory Honda team. Williams was of course better overall, but outqualifying them by a small margin on a street track was not a huge miracle.

Qualifying says little about car pace in first races of the season since everyone is yet to find optimal car setup.

It does not say less than the result of a very chaotic race with 3 SC periods that is finished by not much more than a handful of drivers. It says enough that it can be reasonably assumed that keeping a Renault behind under the 2008 regulations (no DRS, no KERS, Bridgestone spec tyres, etc.) did not require a superhuman performance.

#35 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:37

Winners will always have haters.

Only if they go about it the wrong way... Can't recall any criticism of Fangio, Moss, Clark or Hill but then manners and sportsmanship aren't high on Vettel's list of qualities from what I've seen so he cannot be compared with winners of a different age. 

#36 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:08

They aren't high on anyone's list so it's unfair to single out Vettel for what is the standard behaviour of modern racing drivers.

#37 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:12

Save the finger you've just described Lewis Hamilton.

#38 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:15

I'd argue Jenson is the closest we have the classic gentleman driver of the 50's - 70's. In every way he seems to emulate the styles of all of them. 

Vettel is very much of the Senna mould of, win at all costs. Likewise Schumacher, Alonso and Lewis. Either way, Vettel is a time champ, and that's the only thing that matters.

On Seabass. I always liked him, thought he deserved another fair shot in a different team other than STR. He's shown in IndyCar to be of a different quality to a lot of the other drivers. Pagenaud, Wilson excepted of course.

#39 Winter98

Winter98

• 638 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:31

Only if they go about it the wrong way... Can't recall any criticism of Fangio, Moss, Clark or Hill but then manners and sportsmanship aren't high on Vettel's list of qualities from what I've seen so he cannot be compared with winners of a different age. 

Which of today's top driver's are?  Certainly not FA, LH, or KR.

I'm sure if Fangio had lived in the era of the internet, people would have been inventing things to hate about him too after he had won 3xWDCs in a row.

Edited by Winter98, 04 September 2013 - 12:34.

Advertisement

#40 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:56

Considering the response to 'front-wing gate', Fangio would be burned to the stake for taking over the complete car of his team-mates.

I'm sure if Fangio had lived in the era of the internet, people would have been inventing things to hate about him too after he had won 3xWDCs in a row.

not to mention, in the fastest car.

Edited by mnmracer, 04 September 2013 - 12:57.

#41 prty

prty

• 8,439 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:59

No that's total bullshit and one of the biggest myths in racing. Oversteer makes you lose time just like understeer makes you lose time, what you ideally want is a car that is planted and has neither behaviour, although a car pushed to the limit rarely manages to be fully neutral and stable. What happens is that a lot of popular talented drivers are comfortable with oversteer and it looks cool so it's been romanticized to death.

:up:

Lots of people got oversteer-brainwashed.

#42 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 13:03

Quite frankly there is no person on this planet who is able to do everything right for everyone. The earlier one starts to relize that, the more the likelyhood of a successful career. Those who don't get that are left behind and often resort to whining, even if it is from a high horses back..

I'm sure if Fangio had lived in the era of the internet, people would have been inventing things to hate about him too after he had won 3xWDCs in a row.

Well then Fangio would have also been exposed to the media. And you just could imagine what happened when Fangio used his teammates car to win the championship (while his teammate still had a mathematical chance) . He'd be the biggest egoist, not to mention the team with which that happend, yadda, yadda, etc.

Edited by HP, 04 September 2013 - 13:09.

#43 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 13:09

:up:

Lots of people got oversteer-brainwashed.

Or simply they don't read interviews with drivers, in which they almost all say that they prefer a neutral car. However in todays F1 with no refueling, and ban on active ride height that is neigh on impossible to achieve.

#44 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,279 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 13:17

Of course it is also in Bourdais interests to give Vettel as much praise as possible

#45 prty

prty

• 8,439 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 15:02

Or simply they don't read interviews with drivers, in which they almost all say that they prefer a neutral car. However in todays F1 with no refueling, and ban on active ride height that is neigh on impossible to achieve.

According to PDLR and Gené during TV transmissions, the current technique in order to protect the rear tyres, is to set it up a bit in the understeery side. That way, qualifying is slower than the theoretical maximum, but in the race it's much more consistent and quicker.

#46 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 16:00

It is not a myth or bullshit. Watch Raikkonen go through Pouhon, notice the rear of the car stepping out ever so slightly as he flies through that corner (55 seconds). I think thats a good example of what Bourdais means when he talks about Vettel's 'oversteery' style. I wish I could find a good one for Vettel but all I can find is onboards on youtube.

Edited by MikeV1987, 04 September 2013 - 16:13.

#47 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 16:20

It is not a myth or bullshit. Watch Raikkonen go through Pouhon, notice the rear of the car stepping out ever so slightly as he flies through that corner (55 seconds). I think thats a good example of what Bourdais means when he talks about Vettel's 'oversteery' style. I wish I could find a good one for Vettel but all I can find is onboards on youtube.

Surely that's a case of too much speed into a corner? 

You don't want the back stepping out on a quick corner. Anything that means you are off throttle is bad.

We all know the best way through Pouhon is the downshift before hand to slow the car, then drive through the corner slowly increasing throttle input until you can go full on. 

#48 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 16:21

Also pulled this from another site.

"Generally, an F1 car will tend to understeer in slow corners and oversteer in fast ones..... So the more you ‘improve’ its slow-corner balance, the worse you make it in the high-speed turns and vice versa. In a perfect world therefore, the driver more comfortable with oversteer can have a set-up that works better over a lap, as Paddy Lowe explains: “A lot of the performance limit of a car is set by stability in the high-speed zones; if you can’t hang onto it, you will have to introduce understeer in that zone. But if you have a driver better able to deal with oversteer in those zones that induce it, then you will have a less-understeery car elsewhere and therefore more total grip over the lap. The great drivers over the years – Senna, Schumacher, Mansell – have all had that ability. Like for like compared to other drivers, they want more front end.”

But, as ever, there are disclaimers. If the understeer-type driver is able to use that trait to maintain higher minimum corner speeds in the slow turns than the oversteer-type driver, then he benefits from the better stability in the high-speed turns."

So in other words, there is no truly neutral set up, the car cannot be set-up perfectly for each and every corner and must instead be compromised for the best balance over the lap as a whole. And as McLaren's Paddy Lowe explains, those most adept at hanging onto oversteer don't have as much of a compromise to make, hence why so many of the great drivers share this trait. 

Edited by MikeV1987, 04 September 2013 - 16:22.

#49 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 16:26

Surely that's a case of too much speed into a corner? 

We all know the best way through Pouhon is the downshift before hand to slow the car, then drive through the corner slowly increasing throttle input until you can go full on. 

I definitely do not think that is a case of carrying too much speed, that is just insanely fast through there. He qualified only a few tenths off of pole, and we all know how fast the F2002 was.

Also.

down one gear, and on full throttle right away.  Button goes through Pouhon conservatively compared to Raikkonen's vid. 

Edited by MikeV1987, 04 September 2013 - 16:50.

#50 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,635 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 16:37

Is reallly incredible to see Raikkonen in those Newey cars.

Problem was reability.

Edited by Boxerevo, 04 September 2013 - 16:38.