Photo

No Ordinary Passenger

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Robin127

Robin127

• 508 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:01

This was posted on the WERA board today, a short film about Stan Dibben.

http://www.nytimes.c...enger.html?_r=0

Advertisement

#2 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,231 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 13:59

I enjoyed that :up: !

What a character!

#3 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 16:16

I have recently finished reading the book and really enjoyed it, he came over for the TT and left a signed copy with a friend of mine who lent it to me.

Not sure where you would find a copy but I would recommend it.

#4 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 23:34

Great vid of Stan's historic title year. If you were pedantic, you might observe that there wasn't a German GP for sidecars in 1953, that Spa was their first round, that the title was clinched at the Swiss GP at Berne, and that the last GP of the season was at Monza, but in the scheme of things that's background detail and shouldn't detract from the historic achievements of this amazing man, and his hard-as-nails pilot Eric Oliver. They won every race they finished, failing to score at only the Ulster GP.

If you inspect Stan's career in closer detail, and there have been a few good articles about him in the bike press over the years, his motto about giving anything a crack certainly rings true. He was a pretty fair solo rider as well, and for years was a tester for Renold chains. Fabulous to see him get out for a spin at Mallory, what a lad ! :clap:

Thanks for sharing.