Spotted in today's Scotsman:

http://www.scotsman....ction-1-3074783

Think I'll start doing the lottery.

Advertisement

#2 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 13:05

It will be a shame to see it pass out of Dick Skipworth's hands, who has been a very worthy custodian.

#3 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 21:06

Let's hope they all go to good homes. i.e. people who will exercise them rather than just put them in a museum as a static display.

#4 mariner

mariner

• 2,334 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:04

In past years at least part of the Ecurie Ecosse collection has appeared at the Kop Hill climb in Buckinghamshire.  I have seen  the transporter and the Tojeiro car as well as a  D type.

Given the impending sale they may not come this year but it could also be a last chance to see the team pre auction.

The Kop Hill climb website is here

http://www.kophillclimb.org.uk/

#5 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:45

In past years at least part of the Ecurie Ecosse collection has appeared at the Kop Hill climb in Buckinghamshire.  I have seen  the transporter and the Tojeiro car as well as a  D type.

Given the impending sale they may not come this year but it could also be a last chance to see the team pre auction.

The Kop Hill climb website is here

http://www.kophillclimb.org.uk/

The transporter is in the Paddock Display list on that website but there is no list at all of what's going up the hill so can't say what, if anything, he's taking

#6 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:12

The entry list is here:

http://www.kophillcl...i-bin/filter.pl

I note a number of Jaguars listed, plus a Tojiero Jaguar and a Sprite, so maybe they will be there

#7 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 859 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:16

I wonder why he is selling up? I think his son has been driving some of the cars recently as well as Barry Williams.

#8 P.Dron

P.Dron

• 374 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:23

I wonder why he is selling up? I think his son has been driving some of the cars recently as well as Barry Williams.

Do you mean that he "has been driving some of the cars recently as well as Barry Williams" or that he "has been driving some of the cars recently, as well as Barry Williams"?

#9 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:51

The entry list is here:

http://www.kophillcl...i-bin/filter.pl

I note a number of Jaguars listed, plus a Tojiero Jaguar and a Sprite, so maybe they will be there

It appeared since my previous post!

However some of our cars that were in the list are not now.

Edited by Allan Lupton, 05 September 2013 - 10:55.

#10 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:57

Do you mean that he "has been driving some of the cars recently as well as Barry Williams" or that he "has been driving some of the cars recently, as well as Barry Williams"?

Probably Barrie Williams

#11 Pete Stowe

Pete Stowe

• 481 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 15:02

Dick Skipworth will be bringing the Ecosse transporter, Tojeiro-Jaguar and XK120 to the Castle Combe Autumn Classic race meeting on 6th October.

#12 Roy C

Roy C

• 119 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:54

Always the star exhibit at Kop Hill. Here they are at last year's hill climb.

P9220062.jpg

#13 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,573 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:46

I asked a few of my Scottish fiends if they knew why the cars were up for sale and all were equally mystified. It is odd that this wonderful collection has been assembled and preserved and now it is to be scattered to the four winds. This is the sort of thing that the National Motor Museum should be acquiring and rather than putting it on display get it out and about to events.

#14 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,304 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 14:06

I was thinking it would make a suitable centrepiece for a Museum of Scottish Motorsport. Cheaper than a couple of pandas, or a few miles of tramlines.

#15 BRG

BRG

• 25,939 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 14:48

Cheaper than a couple of pandas, or a few miles of tramline

For what the Edinburgh trams have cost, they could have bought up every single racing car ever driven by any Scottish racing driver ever.

And had enough change for a fish supper.

Edited by BRG, 09 September 2013 - 14:49.

#16 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 16:04

I asked a few of my Scottish fiends if they knew why the cars were up for sale and all were equally mystified. It is odd that this wonderful collection has been assembled and preserved and now it is to be scattered to the four winds. This is the sort of thing that the National Motor Museum should be acquiring and rather than putting it on display get it out and about to events.

Yes indeed, although the unique Scottish nature of this collection may be better served by preservation in Scotland.   Finding a suitable home could prove difficult, even assuming that the funds could be available.    Wonder if the NMM were showing any interest in the ex-Sir John Whitmore alan Mann Lotus Cortina (which they used to display on loan) or if they are seeking to acquire the Birkin Bentley single-seater?

Edited by Pullman99, 09 September 2013 - 18:08.

#17 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 16:19

I was thinking it would make a suitable centrepiece for a Museum of Scottish Motorsport. Cheaper than a couple of pandas, or a few miles of tramlines.

The National Museum of Scotland would be an obvious choice as they do have other transport artefacts (and they're in Edinburgh).    Lately obsessed by the Duke of Sutherland's Titians, however, so may be difficult to persuade to part with funding.  And, they may be a bit skint after spending £90 Million on said Titians.    And he wasn't even Scottish... 

Was going to suggest The Riverside Museum in Glasgow as they did exhibit Tyrrell 003 and an Ecurie Ecosse Spice C2 - as well as Andrew Cowan's HLondon to Sydney Hillman Hunter - many years ago when the museum was contained within The Kelvin Hall.   I used to visit fairly regularly from the mid-1960s when the museum was originally based in the former Coplawhill Tramways Depot as well as later at Kelvinside.   I have not been to the new set-up so cannot comment on whether or not they have featured Scottish motorsport.   From the reviews that I've read of the railway content, it would appear that they've gone a bit "modern" eon many aspects of the display but have seen fit to nail a couple of locomotoves to the wall!  I think they've done the same for at least some of the cars too.

#18 brakedisc

brakedisc

• 225 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 20:50

Doubt it would be cheaper after the good and great of Scottish Motorsport who could make such a thing happen took their fee...................................................

#19 Marticelli

Marticelli

• 283 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:56

Finding a suitable home could prove difficult, 

They could just put the whole lot in Glasgow's new transport museum, just adding a few extra shelves for them.  Probably only the transporter would be deemed to large to put up on a shelf...  To say that museums aren't what they were is perhaps an understatement!!

Marticelli

Edited by Marticelli, 10 September 2013 - 07:23.

Advertisement

#20 Roy C

Roy C

• 119 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:11

It would be sad to see the collection sitting in a museum. They need to be used!

#21 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:39

To say that museums aren't what they were is perhaps an understatement!!

Marticelli

Thanks Marticelli.  Glad to see that I'm not the only one that thinks some of these "showcase" museums - Birmingham's Think Tank is another - that have somehow lost the plot.   In response to Roy C's comment, I would heartily agree but would also point out that as far as transport collections are concerned, most museums DO use their artefacts at appropriate events; display does not preclude use.   Just occasionally, objects come along that deserve special treatment but, as an enthusiast fior Ecurie Ecosse and all their achievemnets, I would hope that above all this collection can be kept relatively intact.   An appropriate museum would, therefore, offer potentially the best solution.   The Ecurie Ecosse transporter is, I would suggest, perhaps better known than any of the cars.

Edited by Pullman99, 10 September 2013 - 12:40.