* * * - - 8 votes

Sebastian Vettel about being booed in Silverstone

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
753 replies to this topic

#1 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 23:12

So I read this article where Sebastian Vettel talks about being booed and how he feels about it, I think it's very heartfelt... and when I read stuff like that I always can feel myself into what he might be thinking...

http://motortweets.c...tel/news/879611

I know some of you got different opinions but this is a very good read!

Here a quote from the article:

Has that ever  happened? 'No.' But was the reaction at Silverstone surprising? 'Yes. I didn't understand it. I had not done anything to make them do it. I went up on to the stage later for the post-race concert and got booed again. I took my camera out and said, "If you are going to boo me at least do it properly". I tried to make a laugh out of it.

But you best read the whole thing yourself it goes into different topics as well all in all it gives a good insight to Seb.

Edited by Sin, 04 September 2013 - 23:12.

Advertisement

#2 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 23:27

Good article. Most of the hate he receives is out of bitterness anyway, sure he's not perfect but no other driver is either. Personally, he's still one of my favourites.

Edited by MikeV1987, 04 September 2013 - 23:29.

#3 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 23:28

I know a lot of people will jump on me and say 'oh sport is partisan' or 'the crowd can do what they want' or trot out excuses why its ok to boo Seb, but really... I love F1 and respect him as a great driver. That in itself is enough to applaud the man for his achievements.

I feel we are lucky to see all these great guys driving and performing as they do, excelling at the sport we love. I think thats something to be celebrated.

If people can't do that then at least show him respect by not boo-ing, and cheer your favourites all the louder - at least that is constructive.

Again, I know the responses will be - he deserves it for his behaviour, he has loads of money he can take it, and so on, but really... He's just a young sports man, not an evil dictator. I don't like it.

#4 John Player

John Player

• 600 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 23:30

multi21

#5 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 23:39

multi21

probably...

We didnt see any booing up until that point as far as I can recall...and he was already winning a **** load of races...if it was just pure out of envy.

That race really did crystallize him to be a villain in many peoples eyes.... and the fact that he seems to have got away with it absolutely scotfree probably solidifies him in that role.

He's been booed in many podiums this year, its a bit of a shame to see... but the Malaysia move was inevitably going to have public relation repercussions.

#6 Blackmore

Blackmore

• 152 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 23:46

multi21

So why was Webber not booed after Silverstone 2011 for ignoring Multi12? In fact, the hate by the fans and the media was yet again against Vettel because RBR had the audacity to give Webber a team order to not overtake Vettel (who had KERS problems and RBR screwed up his pitstop). And Webber was hailed as a hero by fans and the media for not accepting team orders, "such grit and manly behavior"... 

People can pick sides and root for them, it is part of sport. But booing the opponents on the podium and wishing them bad is just childish, unsporting and shows the ones that lack stuff in their skull. 

#7 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 00:01

Are you kidding? We, if we consider ourselves racing fans, should all be thankful to SV for ignoring team orders. In fact, more drivers should do it and maybe that way they'll let them race and us watch them racing.

#8 ThomFi

ThomFi

• 633 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 00:09

probably...

We didnt see any booing up until that point as far as I can recall...and he was already winning a **** load of races...if it was just pure out of envy.

That race really did crystallize him to be a villain in many peoples eyes.... and the fact that he seems to have got away with it absolutely scotfree probably solidifies him in that role.

He's been booed in many podiums this year, its a bit of a shame to see... but the Malaysia move was inevitably going to have public relation repercussions.

You obviously missed the first GP in Melbourne, then.

And, reading the comments on Mail Online, no, Vettel didn't win the championship because Schumacher let him through, even a 7th place would have been enough.

#9 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 00:22

I think the problem is many people don't like Seb just because he has won too much the past few years (taking wins and titles away from their favourite driver). The multi21 is just an excuse people can use - if it wasn't that they would find something else to use against him.

I don't think any of the drivers deserve to be booed and what happened at Silverstone (and other places) is a real shame. We have some great drivers around at the moment and we should be celebrating this, and enjoying the racing, and when my favourite team manages to get back to the top it will be even sweeter beating the quadruple world champions of Red Bull and Seb.

One other point - Seb mentions the fact he was booed later on the stage at the after race party and that he tried to make a joke out of it (fair play to him) - I guess next year he just won't bother turning up to that as I'm sure its not a requirement that all drivers attend so its the fans that will end up missing out in the end.

#10 g1n

g1n

• 894 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 00:25

He shot himself in the foot in Malaysia, for no reason, that is why he is getting booed. That was a huge PR error on his part. At that point he did not have to prove that he can win, we already knew it, he could have show nthat he is a great team player...but no.

#11 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,971 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 00:34

So why was Webber not booed after Silverstone 2011 for ignoring Multi12?

Turkey 2010 and Silverstone 2010?

#12 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,346 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 00:35

Like in many sports, a large part will also come down to nationality.

Saying that booing is unsporting is a complete contradiction in terms, it's just as valid a form of expression from the crowd as cheering is. Racism, fighting and throwing stuff onto the circuit are examples of unsporting behaviour.

#13 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 00:38

what I feel some people forget is that there is a human being behind every racing driver

Edited by Sin, 05 September 2013 - 00:39.

#14 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 00:40

You know you are a top Formula 1 driver when people hate you with all their guts and bring the worst out of themselves, even though they never had an opportunity to meet you personally.

#15 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 1,065 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 00:54

what I feel some people forget is that there is a human being behind every racing driver

Well, you've made a rod for your back, there. :smoking:

#16 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:00

isnt there a saying in nascar something like, if the fans dont love you or hate you, your doing it wrong ?

#17 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:01

Good article. I don't think Vettel is a bad kid. He does need to grow a pair if he is going to be upset by the boing. He is trying to rationalize why gets booed, and he is wasting his time. Apparently it's a real sensitive thing in Europe to get booed, which is surprising, since many European soccer fans seem to enjoy making ape calls and rioting. 

Regardless, he needs to grow some thicker skin or embrace the villain role he plays into perfectly.  

#18 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:02

isnt there a saying in nascar something like, if the fans dont love you or hate you, your doing it wrong ?

I was just about to say. The Intimidator is rolling in his grave. 

#19 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:07

Vettel is just the odd kid out dominating an era where the British public were told by Rider and such belonged to Hamilton,  and the Ferrari public were told we got rid of the boring Raikkonen, here comes the savior Alonso to deliver a second Schumacheresque era for Ferrari.

But instead some random kid driving for a team named after a fizzy drinks company just dominates them. So yeah. It's envy. Has nothing to do with being sportsmanlike and whatever other excuses people come up with, if it did Hamilton would get consta-booed after liegate which was magnitudes worse in terms of unsportsmanlike behavior.

Edited by EthanM, 05 September 2013 - 01:09.

Advertisement

#20 st99

st99

• 385 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:08

Before Multi 21 the reason to hate him was the finger... this is nothing new, they just found a new excuse for hating him.

A thing I find somewhat amusing is that a lot of people call him arrogant and spoiled and most of the F1 journalists and people from the paddock who actually know him say that he's one of the most down to earth guys there. 

#21 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,637 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:15

I couldn't give a rats ass about Multi 21. Mark let him through. See Turkey 2010, Button tried the same thing, what happened? Hamilton shut him down. I got no issue with Seb as a Red Bull driver. I like the kid. It's just frustrating where the sport is at. Can't blame him, what's he gonna do? Slow down. I'm waiting for the challenge. It will come eventually and we will see how good he really is. We're talking is he 'the greatest' or one of. Waiting for the challenge

#22 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:20

He says: 'The one thing I regret is that I put myself above the team. I apologised. Apart from that I am racing - and I am not apologising for that.' But is Vettel given favourable treatment at Red Bull? 'I am at the source to judge that it isn't true. Mark and I have the same car and the same chance to win.' So why does Webber allege otherwise? 'Everybody chooses his path.'

:confused: 

Vettel, so superstitious he not only carries two silver coins in his socks but once became so obsessed with black cats crossing the road in front of him he kept detouring half an hour on his way home, is not counting the expected fourth world title as already won.

So black cats at Monza plz. 

#23 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:02

Are you kidding? We, if we consider ourselves racing fans, should all be thankful to SV for ignoring team orders. In fact, more drivers should do it and maybe that way they'll let them race and us watch them racing.

Vettel is a hero for ignoring that team order. Far to early in the season, there was no logic behind that order. Vettel did good.

#24 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:15

multi21

Clap clap clap. He put the team orders right where they belonged that day.

#25 LB

LB

• 13,575 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:53

I actually lost respect for Mark in the Multi 21 deal. You don't need to do it publically giving the world a catch phrase to use against your teammate. He knew what he was up to. Same with the top gear interview. Ok you don't like Seb, he kicks your ass all the time. He stole your championship (try keeping your car on the damn road in korea then), we get it... zzzzzz

#26 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:26

I typically cheer all drivers when I'm at a race , even those I don't like.  I like Seb, however this year at Malaysia - I didn't boo - but I didn't applaud him.  If I go to Singapore, I will clap him again - but Malaysia he didn't deserve it.

I would never boo however - that is bad sportstmanship

Edited by Raelene, 05 September 2013 - 04:27.

#27 speednerd

speednerd

• 80 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:52

Turkey 2010 and Silverstone 2010?

So you're FOR team orders? Turkey 2010 and Silverstone 2010 were pure racing incidents.... because of which RB decided that they need to have Team Orders .... to protect Mark Webber. Then he goes and ignores the team orders.... and Vettel does the same. Now tell me, who's at fault?

#28 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:54

I expect booing in some countries such as Spain or Italy. But I guess despite England having a strong sporting history and moral code they also have terrible fan / mob hooliganism and behaviour.

No matter what nationality booing any sportsperson is unacceptable!

#29 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:10

He got booed because he ****ed Mark Webber over in Malaysia. Mark's as close to being a naturalised Brit as you can get, and widely admired by Anglo fans.

If he'd done the same thing to Lewis or Jenson, it would have been even more vociferous.

Poor Seb, apparently still doesn't even comprehend that a vast majority view what he did as wrong. Yet he 'apologised' for it. :rolleyes:

#30 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:19

Because many fans believe that Seb already had the run of the green at RBR, so Mark pinning his ears back and challenging Seb that day was seen as Mark having a proper crack and not accepting default No. 2 status. Also, as stated above, Mark's practically an honorary Brit so gets a free pass from the press and fans.

I look forward to this sympathetic touchy-feely attitude if Mark's upset at something else Seb does before the end of the year.  ;)

#31 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,946 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:09

The worst thing about Multi 21 was the same as Schumacher at Austria back in the day.  Vettel didn't need it.  We know he's better than Webber.  There seems to be a deep-seated insecurity in both cases though that only winning titles - by whatever means necessary - proves that.

#32 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:29

Because many fans believe that Seb already had the run of the green at RBR, so Mark pinning his ears back and challenging Seb that day was seen as Mark having a proper crack and not accepting default No. 2 status. Also, as stated above, Mark's practically an honorary Brit so gets a free pass from the press and fans.

I look forward to this sympathetic touchy-feely attitude if Mark's upset at something else Seb does before the end of the year.  ;)

you missing the point tho... you can think about Seb what you want I can think about Mark what you want, but booing is something different in the school you would call it bullying...

you can dislike all people you like doesn't give you the right to treat them like dirt... and even tho I have spoken my opinion I never treated Alonso or Webber like dirt

#33 Ncedi

Ncedi

• 1,183 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:04

Well for one, Webber said he was attacking as he wanted the extra points in case there was a chance in the championship and if something went wrong with Fernando. Vettel went ahead and told us plainly that Webber did not deserve to win! I'm sorry but that's not endearing to me and clearly many other fans. He's a great driver but that was just being a dick...

#34 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:50

The worst thing about Multi 21 was the same as Schumacher at Austria back in the day.  Vettel didn't need it.  We know he's better than Webber.  There seems to be a deep-seated insecurity in both cases though that only winning titles - by whatever means necessary - proves that.

What do you mean by Vettel didn't need it? See, there is a difference.

By Austria 2002 Schumacher had a huge lead in the championship, so it didn't matter if he was first or second, he was a shoe-in for the title anyway. So he didn't need the team order to bolster his championship.

However, by Malaysia 2013 the title was far from clear. It was only second race and both Raikkonen and Alonso had been going very well in Australia. So from a personal point of view Vettel needed to win at the time to bolster his position in the championship.

#35 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:53

well Vettel is likeable chap, but peps don't like the idea of their favourite losing to someone, that in their opinion wins only due to better car, not because of being fast.

#36 Blackmore

Blackmore

• 152 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:07

Well for one, Webber said he was attacking as he wanted the extra points in case there was a chance in the championship and if something went wrong with Fernando. Vettel went ahead and told us plainly that Webber did not deserve to win! I'm sorry but that's not endearing to me and clearly many other fans. He's a great driver but that was just being a dick...

A team order is a team order is a team order. You or support team orders or are against them. You cannot be half pregnant. If you are pro/anti team orders depending on the driver doing it and his alleged reasoning, you are inconsistent and your opinion cannot be taken serious. See your reply and the ones above. 

It is a fact Webber gets hugged by the British fans and media for being a dick, so why hate on Vettel for being a dick too? Does it really hurt that much that he is German for people to be blatant hypocrites?

In between all this, Vettel is the only adult it seems. Not Webber, not RBR, not the general British media/fans.

The video of the Brits booing him and Vettel outsmarting them and making them look like fools by asking them to boo properly so he can record them on his mobile, 07:50 and 08:20, also read the video comments of how most of the world thinks about the unsporting British fans' behavior:

#37 Dunc

Dunc

• 924 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:09

There are always some people who hate success.  I'm sure if the internet had existed in 1966 it would be full of people posting their dislike for Jim Clark and Lotus.

Vettel isn't my favourite driver but he is a triple WDC, who looks set to win a 4th title.  He's clearly talented and may be the best of his era (won't know that until it's over).  The fact that he's able to dominate a glamourous sport, make lots of money and spend time with gorgeous women is sure to inspire envy in some, hence the booing.

#38 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:11

I'm pretty sure everybody who hates Vettel for it, would applaud Senna if he did they same nowadays. Because "If you no longer go for a gap".......

Edited by F.M., 05 September 2013 - 08:11.

#39 sanW10

sanW10

• 134 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:21

Webber has got so much sympathy out of this vs Vettel thing.

Clever guy that Webber.

Advertisement

#40 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:33

I know a lot of people will jump on me and say 'oh sport is partisan' or 'the crowd can do what they want' or trot out excuses why its ok to boo Seb, but really... I love F1 and respect him as a great driver. That in itself is enough to applaud the man for his achievements.

I feel we are lucky to see all these great guys driving and performing as they do, excelling at the sport we love. I think thats something to be celebrated.

If people can't do that then at least show him respect by not boo-ing, and cheer your favourites all the louder - at least that is constructive.

Again, I know the responses will be - he deserves it for his behaviour, he has loads of money he can take it, and so on, but really... He's just a young sports man, not an evil dictator. I don't like it.

We get that problem at footy games- our fans are just content to boo the opposition and their fans rather than support our own team and cheer for our players. Probably explains why home results have been inconsistent last few years

#41 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:39

LMAO, always PATHETIC to see people trying to convince you that the people booing Vettel are anything but jealous Hamilton fans.

I WAS at Silverstone, I saw very well who it was that was doing the booing. And it wasn't the, (way more than you would think), Vettel fans or even the numerous Kimi fans.

#42 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:43

And the biggest proof, as Vettel said, is that he has never done anything to them. He has never even had a run in or drama with Hamilton or even that direct a rivalry(as in them going head to head constantly for the championship).

So it's nothing but envy, pure and simple.

#43 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:43

Agree with the post regarding Webber.

He's an adopted Brit so to speak and he's got extremely good relationships with the British media and fans, so of course whenever he does something similar in Silverstone 2011, it's acceptable yet when he gets the favour repaid and it goes against him, he can play the victim card and people will believe him.

As Seb says in the article, 100,000 Brits didn't go to Silverstone to boo Vettel, a handul of morons did, but once it starts, people get inclined to join in.

I don't go and watch my team to boo opposition players or the ref, but in the heat of the game, you might join in if it starts.

Anyway, good to see what he really made of it all and good to see he still has little remorse over Multi-21. He shouldn't really have put himself above the team but he was racing- what else was he meant to do?

#44 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:48

Webber was very open about his reasons for disobeying team orders, but from what I recall Seb went through "I didn't understand the order", "I'm Sorry to Mark", "if I could race again and do things differently, I would" followed by "I'm here to win and I'm not sorry" and "I'd disobey team orders again"...

If he'd been more forthright from the start he'd possibly have improved his position with the media and some fans, as it was he just resembled a child trying to find the right thing to say to get themselves out of trouble, rather than taking his medicine and owning up right from the off. 

I'd have a bit more respect for him if he had!

#45 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:50

Let us hope the boo-boys will learn not to begrudge this modest, grounded and unflashy champion another taste of success.

'Boo-boys', what a great term. :up:

Edited by Nonesuch, 05 September 2013 - 08:50.

#46 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 899 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:50

Vettel should get a grip. People booed opponent all the time. Lewis ( McLaren driver by then) got booed in Monza ( Ferrari home race). Alonso used to get booed in Monza before becoming a Ferrari driver, now they absolutely love him. Silverstone not only is Lewis home race ( 1 of Vettel main rival) also it's kind of Webber's too ( he lives in UK and they love him there). Webber is Vertel archenemy in RB.... He got booed? So what? Big deal!

#47 Module

Module

• 1,055 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:58

Vettel should get a grip. People booed opponent all the time. Lewis ( McLaren driver by then) got booed in Monza ( Ferrari home race). Alonso used to get booed in Monza before becoming a Ferrari driver, now they absolutely love him. Silverstone not only is Lewis home race ( 1 of Vettel main rival) also it's kind of Webber's too ( he lives in UK and they love him there). Webber is Vertel archenemy in RB.... He got booed? So what? Big deal!

Yes, he realy should understand not to answer journalists questions...because his a cry-baby if he says he doesn't understand why...

#48 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,946 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:08

What do you mean by Vettel didn't need it? See, there is a difference.

By Austria 2002 Schumacher had a huge lead in the championship, so it didn't matter if he was first or second, he was a shoe-in for the title anyway. So he didn't need the team order to bolster his championship.

However, by Malaysia 2013 the title was far from clear. It was only second race and both Raikkonen and Alonso had been going very well in Australia. So from a personal point of view Vettel needed to win at the time to bolster his position in the championship.

Proves my point.  Vettel and Schumacher were not interested in being the best driver, but only in accumulating the most points.  The single rule that has caused most damage to racing in the history of the sport was the invention of the championship.

#49 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,739 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:24

Proves my point.  Vettel and Schumacher were not interested in being the best driver, but only in accumulating the most points.  The single rule that has caused most damage to racing in the history of the sport was the invention of the championship.

Except that Vettel had every reason to believe he was the better driver that day.

#50 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,796 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:27

Curious how many people (like myself) were/are fans of Schumacher, but simply cannot stand Vettel...

i.e. This 'jealous of success/domination' excuse/expaination simply doesn't fly with me...nor nationality...