Suzuka 2013, where should I sit?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Bren

Bren

• 56 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:19

Hi,

I have been to Suzuka before, I was in the middle of T1, which gave some great views of S/F, OTing into t-1-2-3 and onto the Esse's.

Great seat. I am going to Suzuka again this year and I would like a different experience, any opinions?

Advertisement

#2 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 17:13

quoting myself from other similar thread

http://forums.autosp...he-japanese-gp/

There's no proper seat that overlook degner. There's only one spot on degner but that's not a seat, but kind of free entrance area without seat.

map.gif

There's seat inside 130R, the G stand, but i dont think you can see degner from there properly.

on this map, you can click on each seat, A1, C, D, E etc, to see how the view from each of the stands is like.
http://www.suzukacir...3/f1/index.html

The best seat imo is B2. Then next is either B1, C or A2. Some position of D (D4 and D5), which face toward T1 and high up, is quite nice, can overlook whole S from 1st-2nd corner. Chicane and hairpin are popular coz u can see cars for longer period. 130R and 200R are cheap but you only see cars passing very fast. Some parts of S, such as D3, E etc have very limited view and that's why it's cheap.

seem there's still quite a few options available.
https://mls.mobility.....Zh51MrsTuTCw=

If you like taking pics and wouldnt mind no reserved seat and walking around, they have photographer seat and that's highly recommendable. But the type that allows you to enter those popular and great view spots are gone already.

Suzuka is doing very good job on ticket pricing. Basically the price tells exactly what you'll get. They even offer "outlet" for those positions that have poor view, like behind fence or pole.

Note that if you have GP ticket, you can go anywhere except vip area freely on Friday. Also they have some activities from Thursday, like pit walk and driver autograph session, so that can be fun.

Accomodation shud be important if you plan to attend all 3 days. Best if u can get one in and around Suzuka city, but if it's difficult to find there or even in Nagoya or nearby cities like Yokkaichi and Kuwana (which are north of Suzuka), try southern cities like Tsu, Matsusaka rather than north.

not sure where "in the middle of T1" exactly is, but anyway on this map, the best seat imo is B2, followed by B1

http://www.suzukacir...ges/top/map.gif

so I recommend those seats unless that's where you sat the last time around.

the next best imo is either A1-2, D5, any C or spoon. As stated above, basically you get what you pay.

chicane and hairpin is popular in general but not much for me coz it's just that the cars are going slow, not so spectacular. But for many people that's what matters as you get to see the cars longer. Also you can appreciate hard braking and acceleration. So not bad actually.

Spoon is interesting for me coz it's difficult corner where drivers make mistakes and take different approach, but bit boring if continue to sit there for 2 days. But still miles better than seats like G and some bad seats in S section.

also as above, photographer ticket is good deal if you like taking photos. You can go many spots allocated exclusively for that type of ticket.

#3 jeremy durward

jeremy durward

• 288 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:28

quoting myself from other similar thread

http://forums.autosp...he-japanese-gp/

not sure where "in the middle of T1" exactly is, but anyway on this map, the best seat imo is B2, followed by B1

http://www.suzukacir...ges/top/map.gif

so I recommend those seats unless that's where you sat the last time around.

the next best imo is either A1-2, D5, any C or spoon. As stated above, basically you get what you pay.

chicane and hairpin is popular in general but not much for me coz it's just that the cars are going slow, not so spectacular. But for many people that's what matters as you get to see the cars longer. Also you can appreciate hard braking and acceleration. So not bad actually.

Spoon is interesting for me coz it's difficult corner where drivers make mistakes and take different approach, but bit boring if continue to sit there for 2 days. But still miles better than seats like G and some bad seats in S section.

also as above, photographer ticket is good deal if you like taking photos. You can go many spots allocated exclusively for that type of ticket.

Well based on your advice Muramasa I'll be plonking myself down in D4. You can even get a look at the stand on google street view.

#4 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 23:01

D4 is nice, here is the view from D4, just to make sure you got the D4 right on google street view.

pic
http://blogs.yahoo.c...=18876808&no=14

video

on degnar side of D4 stand, the view towards T1 might not be so good but still fine i guess.

btw view from D5 look like this and that's why it's most expensive among D stands.
http://zipd.eu/exv/y...1&i=rBM89dbQ2-g
http://www.kansenzyu...upfile=17-2.jpg

#5 jeremy durward

jeremy durward

• 288 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:15

I just got my tickets. It's my first time at a GP outside of Australia. Does anyone have any advice for me? Or for that matter want to catch up over there?

#6 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 15:22

here's prev thread about get around advice;

http://forums.autosp...p/#entry5317651

might have been some other threads too but cant remember.

anyway if have any question feel free to ask.

#7 jeremy durward

jeremy durward

• 288 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:36

Thanks Muramasa. I'm really looking forward to getting over there... just wish I had more time to see Japan, perhaps a return trip sometime.

#8 jeremy durward

jeremy durward

• 288 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 23:20

I'm staying in Tokyo for a few days before then traveling down to the race via Nagoya and staying in Nagoya Saturday and Sunday nights. Is it best to buy a 7 day JR rail pass? This will work for the shinkansen from Tokyo to Nagoya? And then the train from Nagoya to Suzuka for Saturday and Sunday?

#9 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 14:41

JRP 7days is 28,300Yen. With this pass, you can only take JR trains and local JR buses as you should know already. No underground, no private trains either in Tokyo or Nagoya or Osaka. Only JR.

You can take Shinkansen, but you cannot take Nozomi without paying additional fee if i'm right, only Kodama that's slow coz stops all stations, and Hikari which is faster but only 1 train per hour. Most shinkansen trains are Nozomi but you cannot take it with JRP (without additional pay), and you can only take non-reserved seats for Kodama and Hikari (again you can take reserved by paying additional, it seems).

Still not bad tho, it takes about 3 hours b/w Tokyo and Nagoya with Kodama (while Nozomi and Hikari is less than 2 hours). If you take bus or local train it takes 6-7 hours.

Finding seat in non-reserved should be fairly easy in Kodama.

there's english website for JRP so maybe read that is better, or you might know it already. Japan's rail system is quite complicated, even for Japanese :|

And, here are normal price for JR trains;

-Narita express [Narita airport-Tokyo]: 2940Yen (1 way)

-Tokyo Monorail [Haneda airport-Tokyo(Hamamatsu-cho st.)] :  470Yen (1 way)

-Tokyo-Nagoya Shinkansen (excluding Nozomi and Mizuho): 10070Yen (1 way)

-Nagoya-Suzuka circuit Inou: 740Yen [+300Yen] (1 way)

from Nagoya to Suzuka Circuit Inou, the train uses private train section between Kawarada (河原田) station and Suzuka Circuit Inou (鈴鹿サーキット稲生), so for that section you have to pay additional 300Yen. I'm not sure where and when you have to pay that 300Yen if holding Japan rail pass (If not holding JRP, you'll pay everything at ticket counter at Nagoya.). Kind of confusing, but anyway, remember that you will have to pay additional 300yen or so somewhere between Nagoya and Suzuka circuit Inou.

on GP weekend, JR will run Suzuka F1GP special train from Nagoya, it's express train so you need additional fee, but JRP might be valid for those trains too coz JRP is valid for exp. trains in general in local JR line if i understand it correctly. But not too sure.

---

so looks like if you take Narita Airport and go back within 7 days, it's good deal. if your stay in Japan is more than 7 days and travel only Tokyo-Nagoya-Suzuka (x2) for long distance trip and only around Tokyo for short distance, then JRP isnt that good deal, it seems?

I can further help calculating if you dont mind.

also I can check and tell exactly what time trains for Suzuka leave Nagoya in GP weekend morning. Trains will be v crowded and there's not so many trains.

Edited by muramasa, 30 September 2013 - 14:43.

#10 jeremy durward

jeremy durward

• 288 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:20

Thanks again Muramasa! I think individual tickets will be the way to go.  If you could direct me to a timetable or let me know the times for the trains Saturday and Sunday from Nagoya that would be great. Are you going to the Grand Prix yourself?

#11 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 13:45

I'm not going this year.

Hopefully you'll enjoy and it will be great weather for you :)

here are trains from Nagoya to Suzuka

12 Oct

nagoya to suzuka

http://www.isetetu.c.../20131012da.pdf

suzuka to nagoya

http://www.isetetu.c.../20131012up.pdf

13 Oct

nagoya to suzuka

http://www.isetetu.c.../20131013da.pdf

suzuka to nagoya

http://www.isetetu.c.../20131013up.pdf

Legend:

the row in yellow is suzuka circuit inou station (鈴鹿サーキット稲生)

nagoya station (名古屋) is the row either on top end or bottom end

Those colored columns (blue, red and purple) are the trains that directly goes from nagoya to suzuka

- blue ones are express train, all reserved (additional 900yen, 1500yen or so depending on train)

- purple one is rapid but all reserved (additional fee necessary too)

- red ones are local rapid, just minimum basic ticket (1040yen in total) will do for these trains (but will be packed)

so red ones and other non-direct transit ones (some of non-highlighted trains are connected by transit to go to suzuka) are cheapest option.

if you feel like taking express trains, do so in advance (i think u can buy it at any JR booth and travel agencies in tokyo, even at airport. you can ask at the airport coz they should speak english well)

remember that there're other options like Kintetsu trains, just in case. But i recommend JR coz if you take kintetsu you need to take bus from nearest kintetsu station and it could be complicated. there's bus that connects nagoya and suzuka but usually it goes sold out quite quickly.

But JR, Suzuka circuit is in walking distance from the suzuka circuit Inou station, u can just follow other people so it's easy.

As for JR Pass, maybe stories by non-japanese who actually used it should be more helpful. There might be some unexpected advantage.

As for Shinkansen b/w Tokyo and Nagoya, just note that if you take Nozomi reserved, it takes about 10,800yen, instead of 10070yen. I recommend taking shinkansen ticket in advance as well.

Edited by muramasa, 01 October 2013 - 22:44.

#12 IMOA

IMOA

• 56 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 17:45

Adding a couple of bits to muramasa's post

I wouldn't get a JR pass, I've used them a lot in the past but these days with the scaling back of the Hikari's unless you're saving a bit they're not worth it imo. If you're only travelling Tokyo - Nagoya - Tokyo then just stick with buying tickets on the Nozomi. If you're arriving through narita do get the Nex/Suica deal though, this gives you small discount on the NEX trip and a free suica with 1500 yen credit. The suica can be used in both Tokyo and Nagoya on the subways and takes a bunch of hassle out of using them for someone who's new to the system. If you do decide to travel to Nagoya on the Friday night get a reserved ticket, the monday is a public holiday and the unreserved carriages are often full ie standing room only) on friday night.

On Friday all the stands except for the main straight are open seating, I'd strongly recommend going to Suzuka on friday as you get 3 hours of F1 and can watch from all over the track. Seriously, you don't want to go to a track with as many brilliant spots to watch from and only sit in one place. On Fridays I always catch the train to shiroko (kintetsu line) and catch the bus from there. Very easy to do and well organised. Personally I always do a long day at the track on friday then go in late saturday and sunday aiming to get there about an hour before the race. There's a lot less track activity than what you get at the Australian F1 so keep that in mind.

On the saturday and sunday they set up a small table in front of the main ticket gates to sell the train tickets for suzuki circuit inou. If you're not going by the limited express then this is the easiest place to get the train tickets and they also have printed timetables showing when the trains will be running for the weekend and from which platform. Buy your return ticket from here before going to the track, it will save you a bunch of hassle. 

I'd recommend that you plan to hang around the track for some time after the race. The do open the track up so you can do a walk after the race and the tradition at the japanese F1 is that people hang around for hours having a few beers, some food and watch a replay of the race on the big screens around the track. It's a quite unique experience and one of my favourite things about the F1 at suzuka. I suspect the japanese have no idea how unusual it is to be able to do something like this without a bunch of drunken ***** ruining it for everyone.

I'm heading down thursday night after work and coming back to tokyo on monday

#13 jeremy durward

jeremy durward

• 288 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 23:03

Thanks yet again Muramasa, you have been an enormous help. I was hoping you were going so I could buy you a drink as thanks.

#14 jeremy durward

jeremy durward

• 288 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 23:08

Interesting IMOA,  I have been tossing up if it's possible to get down to the track on Friday. I'm in Tokyo until Saturday morning and I'm meeting up with my cousin who lives in Tokyo on Friday night. It's the first time I've seen him in years so that's pretty important. It's about 3-4 hours between the track and Tokyo from what I understand? otherwise that sounds like where i want to be on the Friday! Where are you sitting on the Saturday and Sunday IMOA?

#15 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 23:56

@IMOA

yeah, it's kind of silly to keep excluding Nozomi for JR Pass and not amend it yet.

Sure Suica should be useful coz you charge couple thousands yen in advance and you dont need to buy ticket each time you take short distance jorney, for most trains and buses (either JR or any other privates). Just touch the card at ticket gates and go.

--

that's right about GP friday, friday's Suzuka is pure joy. free to go anywhere with GP ticket, and alot less people.

--

in Japan, train tickets are not time-limited, but valid throughout the day, so if you can plan and buy tickets for any certain day in advance that's defo better, in order to avoid the hassle. Just make sure you get everything correctly.

Oh, I should not forget to note that, one big, important ceremony is going on at Grand Shrine in Ise city (about 80km south of Suzuka) at the moment and alot of people are going there now, esp on weekend, so public transportation around the area have been quite busy and will be so for GP weekend as well. So better get all tickets in advance.

@jeremy

if you can plan your journey now and if it's possible to ask your cousin to get train tickets, i think you better do so sooner rather than later, at least for Shinkansen.

Just suggesting tho, so dont need to be rushed. shinkansen wont be sold out and there are always some trains available so no worry.

As for trains from Nagoya to Suzuka, well, non-reserved ones will be packed for sure but you can definitely get there anyway too. it takes only 1 hour or so, so it's not gonna kill you :)

--

yea hangin around the circuit after the race as well as quali is very fun.

Saturday night there are some activities going on, and after sunday race finished, you can go down the track and walk the west half of the circuit, if you're interested. 

Also many micro activities like Honda booth displaying old cars, shops selling F1 goods, etc at the venue, enough to kill several hours, that should be fun.

as for duration b/w Tokyo station and Suzuka station, yea if everything goes smoothly it takes less than 3 hours. But u shouldnt be too optimistic. Maybe u shud estimate it as 4+ hours.

Edited by muramasa, 02 October 2013 - 00:15.

#16 IMOA

IMOA

• 56 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:01

Interesting IMOA,  I have been tossing up if it's possible to get down to the track on Friday. I'm in Tokyo until Saturday morning and I'm meeting up with my cousin who lives in Tokyo on Friday night. It's the first time I've seen him in years so that's pretty important. It's about 3-4 hours between the track and Tokyo from what I understand? otherwise that sounds like where i want to be on the Friday! Where are you sitting on the Saturday and Sunday IMOA?

As long as you were prepared to take say a  6:30am nozomi on Friday morning you could get to the track in time for first practice, you could even do it with a JR pass on the Hikari but you might miss the first 15 minutes or so of practice. The problem is getting back, second practice finishes at 3:30 so lets say the shuttle bus takes 1 hour (think queue for bus etc you won't be getting back to Tokyo until 7:30 - 8:00pm. Actually, thats not too bad and looking at Hyperdia even on Hikari's with a JR pass as long as you can get to Shiroko by 5:00 you'll get to Tokyo at 8:10pm which would be in time for dinner.

We're sitting at the chicane this year

#17 TokyoBro

TokyoBro

• 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:03

Shout out to those that have posted some great advice on here! 

Based in Tokyo but finally heading to pop my grand prix cherry this weekend.  Managed to join up to the japanese  Mobilityland website and ended up seeing that there were Driver Support stands above C4,5,6. Wondering if that is a temporary stand and if it is a " Domestic promotion " only as didnt see it advertised anywhere else on line.  They give us a T-shirt for which driver you are supporting.  Vettel , Button or Hamilton.  Pity I am a Hamilton fan as his is the furtherest away from turn two , But hopefully some decent elevation to see passed D4 and D5 stands to see the "Es's"

I was a bit late booking accommodation and the only thing that I could find is a 1 hour walk to the track or 15 minute taxi ride... Funny thing was, when the missus and I had a look at the website for the hotel, we found out it was a " Love Hotel:rotfl: 

Edited by TokyoBro, 10 October 2013 - 09:11.