- - - - -

Brawn GP to return?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,314 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 18:53

Well, not really, but Ross Brawn is considering buying into Williams F1. He will of course leave Mercedes at some point and who knows, maybe he can pull of a Brawn GP with Williams in the future.

The Formula 1 paddock at Monza began to disband after the Italian Grand Prix amid latest speculation suggesting that Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn may be buying into the Williams team.

The story was mentioned by the British broadcaster Sky, in the wake of earlier news that Toto Wolff is moving to sell his 15 per cent share in the Grove based team.

http://www.gptoday.c..._into_Williams/

Advertisement

#2 Hans V

Hans V

• 651 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 18:58

That would be brilliant. Wth Brawn as team principal and Symonds as technical director to sort out the team technically, and Sir Frank and Claire to work on the commercial deals.

#3 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 19:11

It'd be sad to see Williams die, especially given their past success.  They along with Ferrari and Mclaren are the iconic teams of F1 history that remain in the sport.  Some might consider Lotus to be similar but they've only recently rejoined.

#4 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 19:20

Williams is a strong brand, and not a sponsor name. Renaming BAR/Honda made sense when the sponsors left, into BrawnGP, but I don't think he will do that now.

Also, I think he likes BrawnGP being 100% championship winners the way they are now.

#5 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 19:22

Don't think it's suggesting that Williams would change their name  :confused: .

Could be just what the team needs

#6 P123

P123

• 23,879 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 19:28

It's just a rumour about Brawn buying out Wolff's shareholding.  Williams will still be Williams.

#7 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 19:31

Toto and Ross swap position like Merc and Honda swapped squad? :p

#8 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,939 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 19:41

Mark Hughes wrote as much in the most recent Autosport. Sky are a little slow on this one...

#9 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,346 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 20:33

It'd be sad to see Williams die, especially given their past success.  They along with Ferrari and Mclaren are the iconic teams of F1 history that remain in the sport.  Some might consider Lotus to be similar but they've only recently rejoined.

Williams will not die. They are not going to go bankrupt anytime soon and Claire is there to ensure Williams will remain Williams.

#10 Ickx

Ickx

• 907 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 20:41

I would love this. It really feels like a perfect match. Ross can't stay that long at Mercedes, there is no room, but to own a part of Williams could be a long term plan to believe in.

#11 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,536 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 20:50

Now that would be amazing.... Bring in Michael Schumacher. LOL. :love:

#12 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 21:00

I'm sure Brawn would be able to bring a lot to Williams. With Symonds already there the team could start looking like the only team that beat Williams during their glory years.  ;)

#13 BillyWhizz

BillyWhizz

• 850 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 21:56

I would love to see this come to being. At a stroke perpetuating two great British F1 icons for the foreseeable.

I'm not a particular fan of any current team, but that would very quickly change if Williams and Brawn were to join forces.

#14 Jyllenberg

Jyllenberg

• 71 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 21:57

I'm sure Brawn would be able to bring a lot to Williams. With Symonds already there the team could start looking like the only team that beat Williams during their glory years.  ;)

If only Flav and MSC could join the club.

...oh wait!

#15 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 22:05

Toto and Ross swap position like Merc and Honda swapped squad? :p

:lol:

#16 hogstar

hogstar

• 550 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 22:43

Brawn worked for Williams in his early days and has some affinity to the team. However, the team needs more than Ross to change it's fortunes but he would certainly steer it in the right direction.

#17 Lamag

Lamag

• 1,147 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:13

What Williams really need is MONEY, MONEY AND MORE MONEY.

#18 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:15

I hope Ross goes and makes Williams the Merc Jr team. Like Honda and Super Aguri, and RBR and STR! 

#19 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:45

i don't get what the fuss is about, if someone seriously thinks that Brawn will walk into Groove base and buy that much share to take 'meaningful control' of the team, as long as 'frank williams' is in control in some way or the other, then they are seriously deluding themselves.

from AMuS

Apparently, there is now a prospect. Rumors speak of an investor from Russia. Wolff confirmed that the sale process has just begun. Its share of 15 percent is to be removed first to 5 per cent, and later to zero.

Share price of Williams in descent

Frank Williams himself also stands as a buyer of a smaller batch for debate. Although the founder of the racing team already owns a 51 percent majority. Actually, it makes little sense to bring back shares.Williams, however, has recently sold his house and lands. After the death of his wife to him, the property was too large.

He now lives in the factory. Some offices have been converted into an apartment. Whether he has since made liquid for a stock purchase? On the Frankfurt Stock Exchange, the share price has fallen only once. From its peak in the summer of 25.50 euros to 17.80 euros.

Advertisement

#20 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,825 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:31

I think Igor Mazepa of the Russian Time GP2 team will buy the 15%

#21 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:41

I'd like to see Brawn at Williams.

#22 Kobasmashi

Kobasmashi

• 734 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:42

I hope Ross goes and makes Williams the Merc Jr team. Like Honda and Super Aguri, and RBR and STR!

That would be an insult to Williams' pedigree and history.

#23 TheNewStig

TheNewStig

• 557 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:48

How did they come up With this story about Brawn taking over Williams?A Russian investor buying 15 % of Williams?The only reason is getting publicity.Next time it maybe is "Schumacher take over Lotus" if someone sell a little share there.All this is nonsens.

#24 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,346 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:54

They're underperforming comparing to their budget so not really.

#25 g1n

g1n

• 894 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:39

This is the only truth, everything else will fall in to place.

#26 SonJR

SonJR

• 441 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 15:18

I think Igor Mazepa of the Russian Time GP2 team will buy the 15%

They're already working together in some sort of unofficial capacity aren't they?

#27 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 21:35

According the BBC, Williams are have more financial problems.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-24013061

#28 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 21:41

Someone via Bernie's handshake society will save them.

#29 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 00:32

That would be an insult to Williams' pedigree and history.

When's the last time they won a WDC or WCC? 

I would argue that the last 13 or so seasons have been an insult to their pedigree and history. 

Edited by SR388, 10 September 2013 - 00:38.

#30 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 1,065 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 00:42

Was that rhetorical? In any case, 1997.

Williams are the last of the great independent teams that can no longer compete in modern F1. They can either evolve into a sponsorship or manufacturer team or die. :cry:

Edited by SanDiegoGo, 10 September 2013 - 00:42.

#31 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 00:51

Was that rhetorical? In any case, 1997.

Williams are the last of the great independent teams that can no longer compete in modern F1. They can either evolve into a sponsorship or manufacturer team or die. :cry:

It was rhetorical. The sun appears to have to set on the Williams team quite a while ago. It is sad because they had some iconic cars and drivers in the 80's and 90's. 

#32 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,536 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:00

All of this could have been completely different if Frank and Patrick let Adrian Newey be a dominant player at Williams from end of 1997 and onward. But, I'd love to see Ross at Williams.

#33 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:02

It was rhetorical. The sun appears to have to set on the Williams team quite a while ago. It is sad because they had some iconic cars and drivers in the 80's and 90's. 

Williams had very good seasons in the early 2000s too.

#34 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,677 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:10

Whatever helps Williams to get back to the top again, I'm all for it. Imagine Ferrari, McLaren, Williams, and Lotus fighting for wins! Red Bull and Mercedes would be purely optional! That would be awesome (I am aware that having all these teams on the same level is very unlikely, but over the course of 2-3 seasons, having 4-5 teams fighting for wins would be possible).

And the only thing that can get Williams back into victory lane is either Newey or Brawn. I didn't look it up, but over the past 20 years probably 17 constructors champions had the help of one of these guys. I don't see Newey going to another team before his retirement, as it must be exhausting building up another team. Conversely, I would be surprised if Brawn stayed at Merc much longer, as it seems that they are building a team which makes Brawn obsolete. 

#35 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:25

Part of me wants Brawn to stay at Merc as he is clearly a key part of the positive, and somewhat unforeseen endeavors of Hamilton.  

However. Brawn + Symmonds at Williams, plus a good old splash of cash would be epic.......... Because we all love Team Willy...... 

#36 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,346 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:45

And the only thing that can get Williams back into victory lane is either Newey or Brawn.

I disagree. There are no people who are irreplaceable. There might well be a new engineering talent who is coming and who is going to overshadow Newey in the next couple of years. You never know.

To get back into victory lane Williams need to sort out many things. Big title sponsor would help a lot. Works team deal (+sponsorship) with engine manufacturer would help a lot. And they need to solve the whole engineering structure to ensure they don't underperform comparing to their budget like they did in the last couple of years.

No doubt, if they want to be a championship contender in the next 5-6 years, they need to luck with something, some kind of a big deal, some kind of a car conception that works exceptionally well. No Brawn or Newey needed, just right choice of people and some luck and to learn from previous mistakes.

Edited by Anderis, 10 September 2013 - 11:45.

#37 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,881 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 13:17

I would venture they also need better drivers.

Which, of course, is a catch 22 situation for them.

#38 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,346 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 16:27

I'm quite certain current driver pairing is good enough to make progress and the car doesn't match their capabilities. If Maldonado can't stop making mistakes, they might change him when it's about a time to think of WCC, but I'm sure that Bottas will be good enough at least for a number 2 driver. He's already quite consistent and mistake-free and he will get better with experience.

I definetely think they need to sort out engineering and sponsorship/partnerships before they even start to think about better drivers. Unless it comes an opportunity to have a proven top driver on a long term contract, what, I think, is pretty much impossible unless they improve big time.

#39 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,984 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 17:34

All of this could have been completely different if Frank and Patrick let Adrian Newey be a dominant player at Williams from end of 1997 and onward. But, I'd love to see Ross at Williams.

I think that's an overly simplistic view. Having Adrian sick around post 1996 wouldn't necessarily have helped them that much. Back then the Williams dream team had 3 main factors: Adrian Newey, Renault, and Damon Hill (the test driver). Each was a major factor in their success and all were lost in the course of a year.

Advertisement

#40 JSDSKI

JSDSKI

• 1,439 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 17:58

Let Symonds and Brawn convince Alonso to come in after Ferrari sign Kimi.... and then the Santander money will flow. 

Don't they have a deal for the new 100 extra horsepower Mercedes turbo?  FA would enjoy that.