Photo
- - - - -

When will Vettel wrap up the title?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: When will Vettel wrap up the title? (105 member(s) have cast votes)

When will Vettel wrap up the title?

1. Japan (10 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

2. India (40 votes [38.10%])

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

3. Abu Dhabi (41 votes [39.05%])

Percentage of vote: 39.05%

4. USA (11 votes [10.48%])

Percentage of vote: 10.48%

5. Brazil (3 votes [2.86%])

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 19:11

India - with 3 wins from Vettel each with Alonso second and one finish at least a point ahead of Alonso, he's won it.

Edited by Doughnut King, 08 September 2013 - 19:26.

Advertisement

#2 GoodSister

GoodSister

• 172 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 19:22

India.

This is what I voted. The gap to whoever is in second place at that point would need to be 75 points or more, and considering Vettel's current form plus his general form at the upcoming circuits, this is certainly possible. If not then, certainly by Abu Dhabi.

#3 RC127

RC127

• 1,116 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 19:22

I think India as well, I'm afraid, unless some insane stuff goes down in Singapore and Korea?

Must admit, wouldn't be disappointed to see a low speed slide into the wall for the wunderkid at Marina Bay give us a much needed DNF (and a shot in the arm for the championship)

Then again, give him his due he will be looked on as having totally pwned the "DRS and Kers" era - with Jenson's win in 2009 now looking like the statistical anomaly or outlier - so let him win this fourth championship, let's have a few exciting "exhibition" races and we will start the new era in 2014.

#4 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 19:29

By India

#5 Fonzey

Fonzey

• 655 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 19:42

I think India as well, I'm afraid, unless some insane stuff goes down in Singapore and Korea?

Must admit, wouldn't be disappointed to see a low speed slide into the wall for the wunderkid at Marina Bay give us a much needed DNF (and a shot in the arm for the championship)

Then again, give him his due he will be looked on as having totally pwned the "DRS and Kers" era - with Jenson's win in 2009 now looking like the statistical anomaly or outlier - so let him win this fourth championship, let's have a few exciting "exhibition" races and we will start the new era in 2014.

Agree with the last bit so much. I'm a Lewis fan first and also got a bit of a thing for Alonso - so the past few years have been upsetting but Seb has really nailed it and hopefully we'll soon be drawing a line under a comprehensive era for Vettel/RBR and a fresh start for somebody else. :up:

#6 OldSoldier2

OldSoldier2

• 144 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 19:49

Abu Dhabi. The car is due for a bad race or the now rare occurrence of Vettel stupidity. Alonso will pick up good points to keep it close. But Vettel will win it in the end.

#7 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 20:11

India. Typically, Red Bull has been fast at these next 4 tracks, and I think that ferrari has already given up and are working on next year's disas... car. I don't see Alonso being able to compete in the next 4 races with the possible exception of Suzuka. Worse, it is not as if Ferrari is streets ahead of Mercedes or Lotus, so there is the real possibility that he will be fighting with not only Red Bull but these other teams as well. The best he can hope for how is Red Bull failures - and I don't see this happening. Even if it does - once  - twice - it is simply postponing the inevitable. 

Remember last year? At this stage Alonso had a 30 point LEAD in the WDC... and Red Bull simply out-developed the ferrari, winning the following 4 races. In fact - in the final 7 races Alonso only beat Vettel twice, and didn't win a single race. Now - if you REALLY think that Red Bull are going to drop the ball with a 50+ point advantage and 7 races left, I respectfully think you are mistaken. 

Vettle will win it by India and will take the championship by about 90 + points to his nearest rival, Alonso or even possibly Hamilton. 

#8 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 20:18

I fear Vettel will finish the year with a ten win tally. It doesn't depress me since I have always foreseen him winning his year's title since the start of the season. Alonso is the only driver who can possibly threaten. Even for him it's a long shot.

#9 nosecone

nosecone

• 1,938 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 20:24

I went for Suzuka. Because if the RB is strong, but the Ferrari hasn't convinced me of his speed on a non-highspeed track. Back in Hungary Ferrari was clearly beaten by RB... I so much hope i am wrong! I don't wish technical issues for anybody, so i have to hope Ferrari finds miraculously some pace anywhere and wins 3 races and finish in front of Vettel...

I hate championships being over early!

We need a chase like in Nascar! last 6 races are the race for the chase!

#10 AM14

AM14

• 26 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 20:24

I think he'll probably wrap it up in India. Red Bull have been strong at the upcoming flyaway races in recent years, so I think it'll be hard for Alonso to maintain the current gap to Vettel, let alone start closing it. I suspect Ferrari's focus now will be on 2014, so I can't see them, or any other team, finding much more performance now.

#11 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 20:37

Vettel now has 53 points on Alonso. To win it in the USA he'd need 25 points on Alonso. That seems simple enough. To win it by Abu Dhabi he'd need 50 points on Alonso. That too seems very much possible. India 75 points: again, very possible. To win it in Japan he'd need a 100 points on Alonso, or in other words, score 47 points more than Alonso in the next three races. Possible, but tough. Therefore, India seems a good bet. He'd need to expand his gap to Alonso by 22 points in four races. That should certainly be very doable given Red Bull's current form.

However, I voted Abu Dhabi because I'm 'keeping hope alive!'

Edited by Nonesuch, 08 September 2013 - 21:22.

#12 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 20:39

Mercedes will surely start to steal points from both Alonso and Vettel. I think they will be the one who determines when Vettel wraps up the title, not Red Bull itself.

#13 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,205 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 20:46

After the last race, no earlier. It's never over until then.

#14 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 21:17

We need a chase like in Nascar! last 6 races are the race for the chase!

Lol, don't give Bernie ideas. After what happened in 2011 and now. And 2002 or 2004, he might be tempted to do something like that.:D

#15 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,780 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 21:21

Singapore. It might not where he wins it mathematically, but if he has the same performance there/Ferrari don't perform, that fat ladies will come out in force.

#16 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,726 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 21:45

The only way I see him not winning it by the end of the Indian GP weekend is if he crashes in Singapore (not impossible purely because the walls are so close to the track, so if a mistake is made it's more likely to result in a retirement). Thing is as well, chances are he'll keep winning, but it's also possible that each race, 2nd place could be different, making it even more likely he'll win it in India.

#17 Dozer

Dozer

• 137 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 22:04

Stick a fork in it, she's done, I voted India :wave:

#18 michal2009b

michal2009b

• 86 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 22:06

Alonso in Brazil :D Only two failures for Vettel and we are with them :D Realistically Vettel in Abu Dhabi or USA, don't think he'll dominate all Asian rounds.

#19 Rakaman

Rakaman

• 196 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 22:19

He already has. 

Advertisement

#20 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:43

Lewis in Brazil.

Mercedes finds form and dominates the last few races.

#21 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:32

India. Vettel has improved his consistency so much over the last three or four seasons that I cannot see how anyone could beat him. Mercedes seems to have stopped the development for this year so Vettel is going to be untouchable in the qualies. In the lead he can conserve his tyres and car.

#22 sv401

sv401

• 757 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:42

India is possible with race wins and no problems. Abu Dhabi with one failure (gearbox ?), but strong results (wins) otherwise. Austin with a DNF and Alonso also winning.

Edited by sv401, 09 September 2013 - 04:43.

#23 topical

topical

• 2,815 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:28

The title race is so boring that it's hard to care. I expect he'll win it with 3-4 races to spare and the world will hardly notice.

#24 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:58

The title race is so boring that it's hard to care. I expect he'll win it with 3-4 races to spare and the world will hardly notice.

Flashback to 2012

Edited by mnmracer, 09 September 2013 - 07:59.

#25 Kobasmashi

Kobasmashi

• 734 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:08

Although Seb and Alonso are good around Singapore, I think Merc will probably repeat their trick of being fast on low speed tracks and take the win there, hopefully Lewis leading a one-two to keep his slim hopes alive. Then Korea will probably also be Red Bull vs Merc but it's Vettel's playground. Suzuka? Jenson showed in 2011 that it's not always as aero-dominated as its reputation suggests, so maybe Alonso to sneak one. Abu Dhabi: Lewis USA: Vettel: Brazil: Crazy wet/dry race with the championship already decided, Massa heads home Webber and Hülkenberg......

Vettel will be champion in Abu Dhabi I think, I just can't see Ferrari giving them a challenge, and Merc have left themselves too much to do.

#26 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:11

there is a chance that he will wrap it already with Japan win. Yet I believe more likely is with win in India

#27 Antonov

Antonov

• 603 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:16

India, although I would rather have it decided under the flood lights of Abu Dhabi.

#28 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:54

Vettel has now won the WDC in Abu Dhabi, Japan and Brazil.

If he's about to secure the championship in either of those countries, he might find that a nice time to give Mark his parting gift so he can win in India or Austin.

#29 Juggles

Juggles

• 902 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 15:46

It's a shame Hamilton is so far back now; now we're back to high downforce tracks the Mercedes is the only car that can challenge Red Bull. Bluntly, Ferrari and Alonso don't have a chance.

I voted for Abu Dhabi. He needs a fifty point lead over his nearest rival at the end of that race and, while I think Hamilton may close the 81 point gap a bit, he won't be within 50 points. Alonso will continue to slip back and I expect him to fall out of mathematical contention either one race before Hamilton or in the same race (i.e. in India or Abu Dhabi).

Either way, I don't begrudge Vettel this championship. It has been his era along with Red Bull and he is finishing it off in style. To quote the man I'm counting on to beat Vettel from 2014:

While his main rivals have struggled to match the pace of the Red Bull driver, Hamilton is adamant that it is not disheartening seeing a rival continually doing so well.

"It's not depressing," he said. "Sebastian is driving very well, as he should do as a world champion, so you have to give credit to him, and he is a nice guy.

"He's also got the best car and he is delivering with it. He's not making any mistakes.

#30 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 16:10

Vettel has now won the WDC in Abu Dhabi, Japan and Brazil.

If he's about to secure the championship in either of those countries, he might find that a nice time to give Mark his parting gift so he can win in India or Austin.

Win it in India to make it 4 different countries, then he'll get close to another Schumi record! (6 circuits in 5 countries- Adelaide, Aida,Suzuka x2,Budapest,Magny Cours, Spa)

Or he could do it in USA but I'm hoping he can get it done before then- and CERTAINLY before Braizl!

#31 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 16:24

He`ll arrive at Abu Dhabi between 60 and 65 points ahead of Alonso and then win the race with Hamilton second.

#32 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 18:07

I voted for Abu Dhabi. I don't believe he would win earlier, because he is bound to have a bad race at some point. I think. 

Edited by rasul, 09 September 2013 - 18:09.

#33 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 18:32

Looking good for those who voted for India.

#34 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 18:40

Would anyone at this point vote against India?