Kimi to Ferrari? Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1087 replies to this topic

#51 Antonov

Antonov

• 593 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:12

Ummm no...that would be Brazil 2007 :D

the 2014, 15 and 16 titles were impressive too.

Advertisement

#52 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:16

As a Chinese I am sorry to suggest that 98% of Chinese people could not tell nor could not care about the difference between Latins, Americans, Europeans or  Scandinavians.

All we have been told is that white skins are Americans, blacks are Africans and yellow are Asian. Also we would only care about whether the drivers are Chinese or non-Chinese :drunk:  :drunk:

I didn't mean to suggest Chinese have something against Latin people, just that having an all Latin lineup makes no difference in the Chinese market so it might no longer be Ferrari's main interest with the way the luxury car market and future growth potential is shifting.

The second part of your post is not really worth commenting on.

Edited by Cool Beans, 09 September 2013 - 07:27.

#53 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 858 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:20

No smoke without a fire, I suppose. My hunch is that Kimi will be announced today or tomorrow. Different scenario will render lots of 'sources' useless. 

#54 mclarenplayer

mclarenplayer

• 101 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:38

It seemed like there will be no official announcement today...

#55 Radion

Radion

• 967 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:47

This is what I think:

The fact that shell has shown very interest in kimi by paying his salary tells me one think: Santander/Alonso now have a counterpart in Shell/Kimi at ferrari. And there lays the problem. 

Ferrari simply can't satisfy both interests. And since shell is 'bigger' than santander...

So there's definitly a chance kimi going to ferrari to replace alonso, as he and santander obviously 'lost' their number one status to shell/kimi.

Because one thing is for sure: Shell won't be paying kimi's salary for fun. They'll want to see him on the very top.

Shell could be to alonso what santander was to kimi.  :wave:

Edited by Radion, 09 September 2013 - 07:51.

#56 Higli

Higli

• 262 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:52

By wednesday it will be Kimi/Hulk.

#57 northell

northell

• 112 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:53

Hah i knew that when kimi came back to f1 he would spice things up a bit but this is a hurricane now!!

#58 OSX

OSX

• 4,274 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:01

The fact that shell has shown very interest in kimi by paying his salary tells me one think: Santander/Alonso now have a counterpart in Shell/Kimi at ferrari. And there lays the problem. 

Ferrari simply can't satisfy both interests.

Sponsors want maximum visibility possible, along with the leased shine and prestige that comes from being associated with the legendary Ferrari brand, and pairing Alonso with Raikkonen ensures just that. So whichever driver wins, Ferrari and thus it's sponsors win.

#59 Baffomet

Baffomet

• 30 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:03

Nope. Still not believing any of this. 

Advertisement

#60 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 1,718 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:17

I don't want to get my hopes up but I am sure I will be a Ferrari fan next season. Just confirm it already!

Edited by MikeV1987, 09 September 2013 - 08:19.

#61 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 3,307 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:29

Steve Robertson [Kimi's manager] to Spiegel Online: "Soon we will be announcing some good news"

#62 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 3,307 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:39

Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1 4m
Raikkonen to Ferrari is not done yet, top-level source inside team says. That's not to say it won't be. Hulkenberg or Massa still possible

#63 destiny

destiny

• 104 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:40

Kimi's return might not make alonso to move out as it might be too costly for Alonso\Santander if they are bound by iron clad contracts.

#64 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 524 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:41

ofc it's "not done" when the news are starting to leak  :lol:

Edited by Miggeex, 09 September 2013 - 08:41.

#65 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 3,001 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:41

Raikkonen to Ferrari is not done yet, top-level source inside team says. That's not to say it won't be. Hulkenberg or Massa still possible

Wtf!?!?! I think I'll just shut the internet down and check the situation on wednesday. This is beyond ridiculous now.

Edit: Domenicali saying the same on autosport now: http://www.autosport...t.php/id/109781

Edited by Jovanotti, 09 September 2013 - 08:57.

#66 Antonov

Antonov

• 593 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:43

:mad:

#67 TT6

TT6

• 3,571 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:47

Of course Ferrari leak some misinformation ("deal not made yet") since they want to make a proper announcement.

#68 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:01

Steve Robertson [Kimi's manager] to Spiegel Online: "Soon we will be announcing some good news"

This is what we need to know, also TS got info from Robertson that Kimi's deal will be announced this week.

#69 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:02

Wtf!?!?! I think I'll just shut the internet down and check the situation on wednesday. This is beyond ridiculous now.

Edit: Domenicali saying the same on autosport now: http://www.autosport...t.php/id/109781

Mercedes denied Hamilton,Lauda etc move day before they were announced...Robertson denied Kimi-Ferrari 2006 on same morning when deal was announced ....

#70 mclarenplayer

mclarenplayer

• 101 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:03

Andrew Benson really ask his high-level source today?

Don't think so. He just repeat what Ferrari senior figures said yesterday.

#71 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 412 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:07

I wouldn't trust Benson if he told me the moon was round. I do however believe that Kimi is returning to Maranello.

#72 OSX

OSX

• 4,274 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:17

Surely you understand that the Ferrari top brass will not admit publicly that a decision has been made before the team has made the official announcement...

#73 OSX

OSX

• 4,274 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:21

Why do you post that BBC article ad of Benson's when much more reputable and reliable sources have reported that the deal is done. You're just gonna upset a bunch of anxious Kimi fans with that...

#74 jokuvaan

jokuvaan

• 4,063 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:25

And who is Shell chairman?

http://www.shell.com.../the-board.html

#75 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 3,307 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:27

Why do you post that BBC article ad of Benson's when much more reputable and reliable sources have reported that the deal is done. You're just gonna upset a bunch of anxious Kimi fans with that...

I don't think you can say Andrew Benson and the BBC are not reputable or reliable. Thought it was relevant piece of info. Although I do believe it's in Ferrari's interest to leak misinformation and play down anticipation. They want to make a real announcement after all.

Don't worry, people. This is happening. Too many reliable sources already confirming it.

Edited by Cyanide, 09 September 2013 - 09:27.

#76 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 524 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:28

It's not easy to prevent things from leaking when there are top drivers involved and huge announcement coming. By saying "it's not done yet" they can make the official announcement atleast a little bigger event. 

Wasn't probably planned that the reporters would immediately give it away when Ferrari began to inform media about the new driver.

Now Domenicali had to get involved so things won't get out of control completely too soon.

#77 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 3,001 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:31

Surely you understand that the Ferrari top brass will not admit publicly that a decision has been made before the team has made the official announcement...

I'm sure the deal will go through (already was before the weekend), but I meant that the endless twists, turns and new claims were annoying.

Edited by Jovanotti, 09 September 2013 - 09:32.

#78 peroa

peroa

• 8,985 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:32

Today:

@SportmphMark: Am hearing Kimi/Ferrari deal now agreed. > Alo won't like equal no.1 status + maybe a Merc powered team better for '14 regs

A few days ago:

Mark Hughes ‏@SportmphMark

Why do we think McLaren haven't taken up Button's option yet? Is Martin W waiting to see if Alonso may yet be on the market?#SkyF1

#79 OSX

OSX

• 4,274 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:33

I don't think you can say Andrew Benson and the BBC are not reputable or reliable.

I didn't say that. I said that much more reputable and reliable sources than Benson have said the deal is done.

Advertisement

#80 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 3,307 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:35

I'm sure the deal will go through (already was before the weekend), but I meant that the endless twists, turns and new claims were annoying.

Domenicali confirmed to AMuS that they signed Raikkonen. The deal is done, otherwise AMuS wouldn't report it.

#81 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,584 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:36

People are free to provide the links they like as long as they are relevant. Whether they make for pleasant reading should not be a factor in a thread where people are looking for all the latest updates.

That said, my guess is also that AB is calling this one wrong. His track reacord in Ferrari driver prediction is not that strong.

#82 OSX

OSX

• 4,274 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:38

Benson saying something different than a bunch of more reputable and reliable sources are saying is not a twist. Nor is Ferrari top brass' denials a twist since the team's official announcement hasn't been done yet.

#83 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 3,001 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:43

I'm annoyed by it, if you're not then fine. For me that's semantics and and I'm not gonna argue about that.

#84 OSX

OSX

• 4,274 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:43

People are free to provide the links they like as long as they are relevant.

Naturally.

#85 droiddamudi

droiddamudi

• 45 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:48

seriously wow,

its heating up now, I hope what's been mention in rumor regarding shell- kimi - Ferrari and Santander - Alonso - renault is true. I don't know if it will happen or not but you can't say what Ferrari can or can't do especially with LDM.

With all media love with Alonso being best and Ferrari lousy car I'd be pissed if I am the boss. doesn't matter if car is good or not. but surely Ferrari was hit hard with all "average f1 car" reputation it got in past few years.

LDM was not afraid to change team during golden era just to show who's the boss and with all recent outburst I'm sure he'll do it again who's the boss .

now the issue is whole Fernando - Santander package and no1 no2 driver policy, if Ferrari want to bring kimi in, it will be equal status and I'm not sure if Alonso had any stipulation in contract regarding same, and if Ferrari want Alonso out of team it surely mean they are preparing for someone else like vettel in near future and kimi is just stop gap.

I'll be shock if Alonso - Santander Renault is true, I never expected this much change if it happen to be true.

PS: ignore any spell/grimmer mistakes, posted via phone.

#86 as65p

as65p

• 17,803 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:48

Benson saying something different than a bunch of more reputable and reliable sources are saying is not a twist. Nor is Ferrari top brass' denials a twist since the team's official announcement hasn't been done yet.

Of course it's a twist to talk as if the decision is still open when in reality it has already been made. Very common, yes, but still a twist.

#87 OSX

OSX

• 4,274 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:49

I'm annoyed by it, if you're not then fine. For me that's semantics and and I'm not gonna argue about that.

Nor will I. I just told what I think since I thought it might help.

Edited by OSX, 09 September 2013 - 09:49.

#88 as65p

as65p

• 17,803 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:52

seriously wow,

its heating up now, I hope what's been mention in rumor regarding shell- kimi - Ferrari and Santander - Alonso - renault is true. I don't know if it will happen or not but you can't say what Ferrari can or can't do especially with LDM.

With all media love with Alonso being best and Ferrari lousy car I'd be pissed if I am the boss. doesn't matter if car is good or not. but surely Ferrari was hit hard with all "average f1 car" reputation it got in past few years.

LDM was not afraid to change team during golden era just to show who's the boss and with all recent outburst I'm sure he'll do it again who's the boss .

It would be incredibly childish if that was really LdM's motivation. The sad (or funny, depending  where you come from) thing is, it might well be so.

#89 kimster89

kimster89

• 810 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:52

We could be facing a huge clash of titans within ferrari itself. On one side Kimi+Shell+Allison on the other Alonso+Santander+Fry...lets hope that they dont implode....

#90 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,584 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:53

Bit of a change in emphasis from Andrew Benson:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/24016050

Kimi Raikkonen is the leading contender to join Ferrari as the team begin talks aimed at finalising their 2014 line-up.

The Finn is the favoured candidate to return to the team for whom he last drove in 2009 but Nico Hulkenberg and current Ferrari driver Felipe Massa are still in the frame.

#91 Owen

Owen

• 10,778 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:55

back pedalling furiously.

#92 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 3,307 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:55

Kimi Raikkonen the favourite to partner Fernando Alonso at Ferrari

The Finn is the favoured candidate to return to the team for whom he last drove in 2009 but Nico Hulkenberg and current Ferrari driver Felipe Massa are still in the frame.

Lead driver Fernando Alonso is not keen on Raikkonen joining but his relationship with Ferrari is tense after a turbulent year. Hulkenberg could be a compromise.

There are widespread reports that a deal between Raikkonen and Ferrari has already been concluded, but a high-level source inside the team said on Sunday evening that was not the case. Talks to finalise the 2014 Ferrari line-up are beginning on Monday and are expected to conclude over the next few days.

Edited by Cyanide, 09 September 2013 - 10:05.

#93 rasul

rasul

• 955 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:59

It would be incredibly childish if that was really LdM's motivation. The sad (or funny, depending  where you come from) thing is, it might well be so.

There is nothing childish about it. It's true that thanks to Alonso's "I'm outperforming the average car" myth, Ferrari's reputation has suffered a big blow in the past few years. Ferrari is a luxury brand and its value depends on how people view it. 

Edited by rasul, 09 September 2013 - 10:00.

#94 BorkoF2012

BorkoF2012

• 954 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:01

Kimi Raikkonen the favourite to replace Fernando Alonso at Ferrari

Why did you write this? The original article says:

Kimi Raikkonen the favourite to partner Fernando Alonso at Ferrari

#95 Antonov

Antonov

• 593 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:02

I don't want him to be the favourite, I want him to be confirmed :mad:

#96 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,122 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:03

Just a question if it is Fernando and Kimi next year will that mean Andrea Stella will go back to being Kimi's engineer or would Kimi now be with Rob Smedley? 

#97 as65p

as65p

• 17,803 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:04

There is nothing childish about it. It's true that thanks to Alonso's "I'm outperforming the average car" myth, Ferrari's reputation has suffered a big blow in the past few years. Ferrari is a luxury brand and its value depends on how people view it. 

Classic case of shooting the messenger, more like.

If Ferraris reputation has suffered it's because they haven't been able to build good enough cars.

#98 droiddamudi

droiddamudi

• 45 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:07

exactly , media portray it this way.

#99 OSX

OSX

• 4,274 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:08

Just a question if it is Fernando and Kimi next year will that mean Andrea Stella will go back to being Kimi's engineer or would Kimi now be with Rob Smedley? 

My is guess is that Kimi will be taking Mark Slade with him to Ferrari.

Advertisement

#100 kimster89

kimster89

• 810 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:09

Adam Hay-Nicholls (@AdamHayNicholls):

Key part of the Kimi-Ferrari deal, I'm told, is to allow him to go rallying. With backing from Fiat presumably.