* * * * - 14 votes

Kimi to Ferrari? Part II

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1087 replies to this topic

#101 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 3,301 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:09

Key part of the Kimi-Ferrari deal, I'm told, is to allow him to go rallying. With backing from Fiat presumably.

Lotus won't allow Kimi to go rallying (after what happened to Kubica). Ferrari, seemingly, might.

Adam Hay-Nicholls is Metro F1's correspondent.

Advertisement

#102 Antonov

Antonov

• 592 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:12

dear lord, Andrew Benson...

Andrew Benson @andrewbensonf1 5m

It would be fascinating to see how @alo_oficial and Raikkonen compared if they did end up as Ferrari team-mates...

cont'd guy who's worked with both said thought @alo_oficial wd win "pretty convincingly. Everywhere, especially qually & first laps of race"

I'm now going to put my tin hat on and wait for the inevitable abuse from Raikkonen fans...

:(

#103 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,121 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:13

Ferrari would seriously make themselves look even more foolish if they replace Alonso with Kimi, the irony. 

Why not both though? 

#104 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 3,301 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:15

AUTOSPRINT now also reports that the deal is done. 

http://autosprint.co...-e-fatta/10173/

An additional detail is that Montezemolo will be at the Frankfrut Motor Show on Wednesday. So maybe announcement on Tuesday?

#105 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 2,124 posts

Has Benson forgot about Alonso's poor qualifying outings in the last year?

#106 kimster89

kimster89

• 809 posts

Seriously whats Bensons deal with Kimi? He a real jerk....

#107 rasul

rasul

• 955 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:17

Benson.  :D​  He doesn't even try to pretend to be unbiased. And that's BBC's chief F1 writer, or whatever his title is. 

#108 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 3,301 posts

Seriously whats Bensons deal with Kimi? He a real jerk....

Has more to do with his fanboyism towards Alonso. Very unprofessional coming from a journalist.  :down:

#109 Antonov

Antonov

• 592 posts

I think it's not so much that he has things against Kimi, he just loves Alonso.

#110 tmzxaar

tmzxaar

• 364 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:18

Haha poor Benson, it's so funny it's sad.

#111 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 1,716 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:19

Andrew Benson is just baiting people to read his b.s. and its working.

Edited by MikeV1987, 09 September 2013 - 10:20.

#112 as65p

as65p

• 17,800 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:22

Haha poor Benson, it's so funny it's sad.

Well, part of his post appears spot on. :D

"I'm now going to put my tin hat on and wait for the inevitable abuse from Raikkonen fans..."

#113 expert

expert

• 1,030 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:23

Just a question if it is Fernando and Kimi next year will that mean Andrea Stella will go back to being Kimi's engineer or would Kimi now be with Rob Smedley? 

Smedley's so used to talking Felipe baby through races I'm not sure how well he'd jell with "leave me alone" Raikkonen.

Edited by expert, 09 September 2013 - 10:23.

#114 Der Pate

Der Pate

• 624 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:23

BTW, we all know, that Alonso has a number-one-clause in his contract. Even if Raikkonen joins Ferrari, for Alonso hasn´t change anything. He will insist on his number-one-status. Or can it be, that Raikkonen accepts the number2?

#115 Antonov

Antonov

• 592 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:25

confirm Kimi already. Champagne is awaiting, cooled and stuff.

#116 BorkoF2012

BorkoF2012

• 954 posts

So Benson is unprofessional because he said something that doesn't go in Raikkonen's favor?

#117 expert

expert

• 1,030 posts

BTW, we all know, that Alonso has a number-one-clause in his contract. Even if Raikkonen joins Ferrari, for Alonso hasn´t change anything. He will insist on his number-one-status. Or can it be, that Raikkonen accepts the number2?

We don't all know that at all. 

#118 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,121 posts

How did you manage to see Alonso's contract? Any pictures? 

#119 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,699 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:26

Care to supply a source?

Advertisement

#120 jjrichards

jjrichards

• 13 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:26

After X years, it they havent won Y championships(or some % of success/profit/return), The clause will expire. 

Thats how professional contracts are done. 

Edited by jjrichards, 09 September 2013 - 10:27.

#121 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 3,301 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:27

So Benson is unprofessional because he said something that doesn't go in Raikkonen's favor?

No, he's unprofessional because he's completely biased. This is not the first time he pointed towards Alonso favoritism. A journalist should be objective, at least in his publications and posts. Subjectivity is for pub talks and afternoon conversations. They don't belong on the BBC website. 

#122 as65p

as65p

• 17,800 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:28

Or can it be that you presume wrong?

You're quite right, IF Alonso had no. 1 status in his contract the only way for Kimi (or any other driver) would be to join as no.2. Do you believe that, in Raikönnens case? Really?

#123 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,299 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:29

confirm Kimi already. Champagne is awaiting, cooled and stuff.

Hadn't we all agreed some two years ago that Räikkönen's contracts are welcomed with a Coke and a Magnum (a Magnum Frac for me)? :p

Seriously, Ferrari must have been having a lot of fun with their name all over the traditional and social media and might want to enjoy this a bit longer.

#124 BorkoF2012

BorkoF2012

• 954 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:29

No, he's unprofessional because he's completely biased. This is not the first time he pointed towards Alonso favoritism. A journalist should be objective, at least in his publications and posts. Subjectivity is for pub talks and afternoon conversations. They don't belong on the BBC website. 

He said what he heard. I don't see what's wrong with that. If he said "In my opinion, Alonso is going to destroy Raikkonen", that would be unprofessional.

#125 jjrichards

jjrichards

• 13 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:31

Not at all, he have all the rights to  predict the outcome. Especially being a Journalist.

But when ever he comes across Kimi Raikkonen's name he tries to suppress Raikkonen's success... well that needs to be called "unprofessional".

For ex: Kimi's rally career is a disaster and Unsuccessful.

True to a extent but he made it as Badoer's season in 2009  

#126 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 3,301 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:32

No, we don't know. 

Massa's poor displays are the only reason why Alonso is favorite in that team. He's the one who delivers the goodies and is close to WDCs. When Raikkonen steps in, that no. 1 status disappears until proven otherwise. And it wasn't part of any contract to begin with. It's performance based, and Alonso has been performing better than Massa. No-brainer. 

#127 Jvr

Jvr

• 782 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:33

By "him," I take it you refer to Kimi, who RB publicly said they were considering and just as publicly, rejected! :lol:

You couldn't mean Alonso, the guy whose Ferrari contract was extended thru 2016, and who's finished 2nd in the WDC in 2 out of the last 3 years, in the 3rd or 4th best car. Ferrari apparently really want him, so he'll be staying there. :smoking:

http://www.rtl.de/cm...34-1624239.html

Ferrari: Räikkönen kommt - Alonso flüchtet

Maybe not time for your cigar yet..

Oh yeah, sorry about cherrypicking.

Edited by Jvr, 09 September 2013 - 10:34.

#128 Galko877

Galko877

• 4,215 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:34

This thing about journalists expecting Alonso trash Räikkönen reminds me of what was said when Hamilton joined McLaren and we all know how that turned out.

#129 kimister

kimister

• 1,014 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:37

What's wrong with him  :rotfl:

He is supposed to be a professional journalist, however the only thing he has done with this kind of tweets is to increase the tension and even while there is no confirmation from both parties .We are still in 2013 and Kimi-Fernando do not race for same team at the moment  :lol:  He is just acting like an ordinary forum member underestimating the driver who is the teammate of his favorite. :cool:

Edited by kimister, 09 September 2013 - 10:39.

#130 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,699 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:39

Can we please get back to the topic, Kimi to Ferrari

This is not the place to discuss journalists or the press nor is it a place for Kimi vs Fernando.

#131 Der Pate

Der Pate

• 624 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:40

No, we don't know. 

Massa's poor displays are the only reason why Alonso is favorite in that team. He's the one who delivers the goodies and is close to WDCs. When Raikkonen steps in, that no. 1 status disappears until proven otherwise. And it wasn't part of any contract to begin with. It's performance based, and Alonso has been performing better than Massa. No-brainer. 

Sorry, I thought it´s common knowledge and everyone accepts that.

Then forget my question! Of course they would/should equal treatment...

The most important thing for me in this silly season is the move Kimi -> Ferrari! - About the rest, I don´t care! If Alonso stays, there will be an epic battle just like Senna/Prost or maybe Mansell/Piquet. If Alonso leaves to Lotus, he is a coward and I really like to see him vanish alongside Lotus! (Sorry about that, it´s just my personal feeling)

#132 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,898 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:48

I wouldn't trust Benson if he told me the moon was round. I do however believe that Kimi is returning to Maranello.

Dude, you have the best one-liners. I just exchanged one of your quotes for this new one in my sig  :lol:

It's funny cuz it's true.

#133 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:48

Well Slade worked with Kimi and Alonso and as a race engineer he is closer to them than other team members and he hasn't for sure said Alonso is any better than Kimi, neither has Stella who has worked with both.

#134 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 406 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:51

Dude, you have the best one-liners. I just exchanged one of your quotes for this new one in my sig  :lol:

It's funny cuz it's true.

#135 nectar

nectar

• 97 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:51

Sorry, I thought it´s common knowledge and everyone accepts that.

Then forget my question! Of course they would/should equal treatment...

The most important thing for me in this silly season is the move Kimi -> Ferrari! - About the rest, I don´t care! If Alonso stays, there will be an epic battle just like Senna/Prost or maybe Mansell/Piquet. If Alonso leaves to Lotus, he is a coward and I really like to see him vanish alongside Lotus! (Sorry about that, it´s just my personal feeling)

I share your assumption as mine as well. No proof is available, so in the imaginary world let's say, Alonso has No.1 clause in his contract. The moment they sign Raikkonen Ferrari has some dealings to do with Alonso's contract as well. That opens some door for Alonso to be freed from the original contract. Hence the rumor he's moving. But you know, that's all just guessing.

#136 swerved

swerved

• 3,689 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:53

Boullier, however, is pushing on as he said: "I am very hopeful within a week I can have answers to the reassurances he is asking for.

"From that point on we can move very fast when it comes to talking about next year and trying to find a successful solution.

"It would be nice to close it by Singapore. That is realistic. It should be realistic."

Would this be the deal he said would be done within a week, back in Hungary ?

"But now Kimi is in a position where he is being chased by most of the paddock and he will decide.

"He knows what he gets with us, but he doesn't know what he will get if he changes teams."

http://www.sportingl.../669/8913470/-?

I have really mixed feelings about Lotus, I just wish they were a lot more stable in their finances, it would tick a lot of boxes.

#137 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 3,301 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:57

Boullier has been talking a lot about new hope, new sponsors, new everything - nothing came through. Infinity Racing are out, a deal should have been confirmed months ago. He's expecting reassurances in a week? Kimi already signed last week. He's a bit late. 

#138 EthanM

EthanM

• 2,480 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:00

Renault engines cost 18 mil per season. Renault might waive a large part (maybe even all) of that in exchange for more visibility on the car/team but IMO any hopes they will buy Enstone back and/or turn them into the defacto Renault works team are exaggerated.

But that Renault discount on the engines (which are a big ticket item as far as 2014 budgets go) plus any money Santander might bring in might be enough to resurrect the team. 

#139 denthierry

denthierry

• 1,281 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:01

Boullier, however, is pushing on as he said: "I am very hopeful within a week I can have answers to the reassurances he is asking for.

"From that point on we can move very fast when it comes to talking about next year and trying to find a successful solution.

"It would be nice to close it by Singapore. That is realistic. It should be realistic."

Would this be the deal he said would be done within a week, back in Hungary ?

"But now Kimi is in a position where he is being chased by most of the paddock and he will decide.

"He knows what he gets with us, but he doesn't know what he will get if he changes teams."

http://www.sportingl.../669/8913470/-?

I have really mixed feelings about Lotus, I just wish they were a lot more stable in their finances, it would tick a lot of boxes.

Would EB still say such things if he would know for a fact that Kimi signed elsewhere already? Or is this a sign that Ferrari are actually telling the truth when they claim they haven't made a decision yet?  And if so... i'd be Ferrari or Kimi, i might wait till Singapore to make that final decision.  There's absolutely no reason whatsoever for them to rush their decision or make an announcement whatsoever.  Unless Alonso "asked" them to make up their minds asap maybe...?

Advertisement

#140 kimster89

kimster89

• 809 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:02

Kimi is too old to wait for Lotus to sort their stability, finances.... He needs a top drive now. And thats Ferrari.

#141 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:04

Would EB still say such things if he would know for a fact that Kimi signed elsewhere already? Or is this a sign that Ferrari are actually telling the truth when they claim they haven't made a decision yet?  And if so... i'd be Ferrari or Kimi, i might wait till Singapore to make that final decision.  There's absolutely no reason whatsoever for them to rush their decision or make an announcement whatsoever.  Unless Alonso "asked" them to make up their minds asap maybe...?

Read McLaren quotes from 2006 by Dennis,Withmarsh and Haug and you will know the asnwer.

#142 denthierry

denthierry

• 1,281 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:04

Or maybe he's doing "a Horner" with "Kimi is still in the mix" claims just (desperately) hoping it would unsettle any ongoing (final?) talks between Kimi and any other team?

#143 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:06

Boullier has been talking a lot about new hope, new sponsors, new everything - nothing came through. Infinity Racing are out, a deal should have been confirmed months ago. He's expecting reassurances in a week? Kimi already signed last week. He's a bit late

kimi signed much before already :) Steve Robertson already said as much that for sure nothing was signed last week as he is the one who signs things...he even showed his calendar to YLE ...not that it tells much. But anyway the deal was signed already over month ago and today/tomorrow will hear more details from it.

#144 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 3,301 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:06

Or maybe he's doing "a Horner" with "Kimi is still in the mix" claims just (desperately) hoping it would unsettle any ongoing (final?) talks between Kimi and any other team?

You bet. Plus he wants the sponsors to hurry up and sign with them if they want Kimi onboard. 

#145 swerved

swerved

• 3,689 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:07

Boullier has been talking a lot about new hope, new sponsors, new everything - nothing came through. Infinity Racing are out, a deal should have been confirmed months ago. He's expecting reassurances in a week? Kimi already signed last week. He's a bit late. 

It is looking that way i agree, whilst its immensely satisfying to know that Kimi could get that Ferrari recall i'll still wait until Ferrari confirm it, even if and when they do, the satisfaction will be tinged with a little sadness, Lotus have been very instrumental in Kimi's renewed success, i've said before they've been good for each other, it might not have been the smoothest of trips, but it been a rewarding and enjoyable one.

#146 denthierry

denthierry

• 1,281 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:07

Read McLaren quotes from 2006 by Dennis,Withmarsh and Haug and you will know the asnwer.

Hi Vesu, care to elaborate a little? It's kind a tough for me to try to go and find those specific quotes now... :-)  much appreciated.

#147 denthierry

denthierry

• 1,281 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:09

You bet. Plus he wants the sponsors to hurry up and sign with them if they want Kimi onboard. 

Indeed, u're right, plenty of reasons.

#148 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:10

If sponsors would sign only with the Lotus because of Kimi they would put it in the sponsorship contract between the company and the team. Kimi won't mean a **** if they will get any contract, it will be because of the fact that they want to sponsor the team, not the Kimi (if they would wnat to sponsor Kimi they would just sign personal sponsorship).

#149 expert

expert

• 1,030 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:12

1. EB could be saything these things to put pressure on someone else he is negtioating with

2. EB could be saying things because Kimi hasn't informed him yet that he has already signed with someone else.

#150 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 3,301 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:12

If sponsors would sign only with the Lotus because of Kimi they would put it in the sponsorship contract between the company and the team. Kimi won't mean a **** if they will get any contract, it will be because of the fact that they want to sponsor the team, not the Kimi (if they would wnat to sponsor Kimi they would just sign personal sponsorship).

Sponsors won't sign if Lotus are not championship contenders. And without Kimi onboard, they're not. 

They want exposure in the front, not in the midfield or the back.