* * * * * 1 votes

Webber turned down Ferrari for 2013

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 21:51

Of course it's my interpretation. What I am referring to is Alonso sending text messages to Webber trying to convince him to come. Did I make that up?

Why was Alonso trying so much? Because they are such good friends? You are free to believe it's because of that or because Webber is an awesome driver or whatever. 

I also don't think it diminishes Alonso in any way to be trying to his best to make his team stronger, I just also find it amusing (again based on my interpretation). I don't see what you guys are so upset about.

Advertisement

#52 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,884 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 22:07

Hypothetically, if he had taken the offer, how would that have AFFECTED the driver market?

Sorry, no offence intended but people getting 'affect/effect' mixed up just drives me spare.  different words with different meanings.

Edited by Longtimefan, 28 January 2014 - 22:07.

#53 Velocifer

Velocifer

• 736 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 22:34

Was expecting Webber to go to Ferrari, but I guess he'd had enough being a no. 2 driver.

One would not think it possible in a million years a driver turning down offers from both Red Bull and Ferrari, but it actually happened. I guess Webber was REALLY fed up.. :drunk:

#54 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 23:15

Exactly. Not at all sarcastic. Teams don't like give one year contracts as that gives the driver too much flexibility, assuming the driver has value.

And seeing how much Webber knew about the inner workings of Red Bull, yes, they did him a favour letting him sign on for one year and decide year to year what to do. 

Also, lol at Alonso desperately trying to bring over some RBR secrets. 

It is sarcastic. As I said before there's more in that interview. I can't find the original (i'd be nice if someone could find it) so I will translate from Spanish media: http://www.elconfide...-ferrari_81343/

Webber also talked about how his retirement announcement was a total surprise for Red Bull hierarchy and he admitted that through all his years in the team "Dietrich Mateschitz has been my best ally in Red Bull, without a doubt, and I wanted to tell him face to face my plans with Porsche. He totally understood and even if I have left Red Bull as a driver I'm still a Red Bull athlete".

Webber himself was surprised Mateschitz hadn't told the team his decision, "It was a great masterclass on PR, max exposure for Porsche, for me and for my relationship with Dietrich". It was something the Australian must have enjoyed because "above all, I guess the way I did it, I must have pissed Helmut (Marko) off "

#55 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 1,095 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 23:29

Was expecting Webber to go to Ferrari, but I guess he'd had enough being a no. 2 driver.

One would not think it possible in a million years a driver turning down offers from both Red Bull and Ferrari, but it actually happened. I guess Webber was REALLY fed up.. :drunk:

To be fair, driving for Porsche is hardly the worst thing that could have happened in his career...

#56 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,054 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 23:32

I can't see the problem with his statements,he told Oz. Journo's in 2010(11?) Marko wanted him out,he also said he has had offers to drive for Ferrari on different ocassions since Massa's accident.He also said early 2013 to one of his personal sponsors that it wasn't that simple just to leave RB and drive for the Italians,there was a lot going on behind the scenes as far as taking his knowledge of the RB  operations to another Team, he wasn't naive or arrogant enough to not know they wanted him for more than his driving ability.

Edited by Ian G, 28 January 2014 - 23:34.

#57 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,855 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 23:52

Of course it's my interpretation. What I am referring to is Alonso sending text messages to Webber trying to convince him to come. Did I make that up?

Why was Alonso trying so much?

He likes him as a person, so would be a good working relationship

He respects his talent, to push Alonso to be at his best

He knows (and Id assume Webber too) that he is that slight bit better all round which makes Alonso a WDC contender and Webber a challenger for wins

He would bring in solid points most races (helps the team and makes it harder for rivals) - as he did for years with RBR

He does want to know more about the operations of RBR

and im sure many others

But I guess if you think its just that Alonso wants to steal secrets then thats your perogative

#58 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 974 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 00:06

Would have loved to see him have a go in the Ferrari, ah well.

#59 icecream

icecream

• 396 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:39

so what's the deal with drivers switching teams and IP?  sure officially they can't just take all a team's secrets with them, as much as I understand it's impossible to police.  i guess i'm just surprised to hear webber say on record that they wanted him "to go there with a lot of IP", and that he almost did. 

Advertisement

#60 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:40

I still don't understand why he refused them. "Dragging their heels a bit" was enough for him to refuse a Ferrari drive alongside a friend? WTH.

I think he's bigged up some of these events in his memory. 

#61 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,332 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:56

icecream

you can't delete what's in your head - the knowledge you have  - that's the IP he's talking about

Ethan

He was totally being sarcastic - you can especially tell when he mentions the "competitng for the title" and still only getting a 1 year contract.

#62 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,431 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:42

Nice to see Mark dispelling the evil Dr Marko is evil and is mistreating Webber myth

Fail

#63 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,411 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:45

He was totally being sarcastic - you can especially tell when he mentions the "competitng for the title" and still only getting a 1 year contract.

That is how I see it as well.

#64 Meanbeakin

Meanbeakin

• 539 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:14

I could've imagined Alonso/Webber being like Senna/Berger.