- - - - -

RedBull running shorter ratios?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fondmetal

Fondmetal

• 507 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:22

Both tracks Spa and Monza they appeared to be running shorter ratios, they acceleration is amazing, seems to me they hit vmax quicker than others and stay there longer even if its 6-8km slower they would be able to be clear and not get overtaken. Why has anyone else not considered doing the same? Whats happened to the Mercedes power? They couldnt make any use of it even around Monza a real power track.

Advertisement

#2 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:28

IIRC your gear ratios are chosen before the first race and locked in for the year.

9.6.2 The maximum number of numerical change gear ratio pairs a competitor has available to him during a Championship season is 30. All such gear ratio pairs must be declared to the FIA technical delegate at or before the first Event of the Championship.

#3 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,298 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:08

The 7 (next season 8) ratios used on each track can be picked from 30 choices.

RB's gear ratios looked pretty normal to me.  Certainly if they were short it's very unlikely they would have a decent vmax (and they did). See Mclaren's issues this race with running ratios slightly too short.

I think the point is their car is rather good.

#4 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 2,393 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:22

Theyve been doing this since Spa 2010 when they ran shorter ratios to have higher wheel torque coming out of Eau Rouge. That year they were complaining about a lack of power from the engines.