Massa exits Ferrari from 2014 [split]

• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#1 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:43

I will not run anymore by ferrari from 2014. I would like to thank you for your friendship, Victories and ...instagram.com/p/eFxzaDHLfK/

http://twitter.com/Felipe1Massa

:cry:

Advertisement

#2 paweu

paweu

• 47 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:47

Felipe just Tweeted that he won't be a Ferrari driver in 2014.

https://twitter.com/...502694640201728

Edited by paweu, 10 September 2013 - 18:47.

#3 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:48

I am so glad I got to meet Felipe in person this year, took a picture with him and got his autograph, without knowing that this would be his last year driving for SF..

#4 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Could I request that we keep this thread to the Massa side of things please. Sad news having been a Massa fan since he first drove with the team. Always have felt Hungary 2009 changed Massa. I do hope he gets picked up by Lotus or another team and doesn't leave F1 altogether.

#5 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,186 posts

Bye Felipe, thanks for the memories.

#6 Frankbullitt

Frankbullitt

• 3,134 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:50

Always liked Massa, my hear broke for him in 2008 when I saw him with tears in his eyes. He has had a great time at Ferrari no doubt, and has beaten Schumacher, Raikkonen and Alonso at some point during that.

I hope he stays on the grid as well, he still has lots to offer and it would be a shame if he were to go.

Thanks Felipe.

#7 pRy

pRy

• 26,336 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:50

He will finish the year on 140 races for Ferrari. A nice round number. He has been a very loyal servant to the team & came so close to winning the title.

Edited by pRy, 10 September 2013 - 18:51.

#8 Lone

Lone

• 1,122 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:52

Good luck in the future to Massa. I hope he finds a competitive drive.

#9 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:54

So Ferrari let Massa announce his own future. A courtesy Mercedes didn't show to Schumacher. Well done Maranello.

I think I'll miss Massa. He didn't say he is to retire so he might be looking to other options. I don't think it's good for him to return Sauber. I hope he won't do a Barrichello.

#10 RaikkonenZn

RaikkonenZn

• 152 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:55

Good by Felipe - I believe he has served Ferrari well but has not been at his best since 2008. I don't believe the accident & consequent layoff did him any good either! A great driver at times, I hope that he possibly gets another chance at a top to mid level team, even where he is sort of the lead driver- I wouldn't mind seeing him at Lotus with something to prove.

I'd be very keen for Lotus to pair Massa and Hulk if Kimi does leave. Massa has got some good experience and as Alonso said he's good at working with the team & the simulator.

Edited by RaikkonenZn, 10 September 2013 - 18:58.

#11 Junky

Junky

• 815 posts

Good luck to the future. I'm pretty sure that at the end of his career, he will admit that he wasn't the same after Hungary 2009. Kind like Piquet's confession in 1991 that after the 1987 accident in Imola he lost speed.

#12 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 899 posts

About time! He only drives one good race per year.

#13 Raikkonen94

Raikkonen94

• 1,008 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:57

I hope he finds a F1 seat. While he isn't a top driver like Vettel, Raikkonen, Hamilton or Alonso he's still a valueable addition to the F1 pack. Thanks to him Kimi could win the 2007 WDC and Kimi helped Massa to be an almost (!) champion in 2008. Sadly he's underperforming for quite some time now, so I understand the decision but it would be sad to see him go!

#14 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:58

Good luck for the future Felipe, hopefully in a competitive F1 team.

#15 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Farewell Felipe. I have been very impressed with how he has gone about his business with Ferrari. He may not have been as competitive in recent years, but he has always struck me as having an excellent attitude about it all, and has tried his best.

I think it is the right time for him to move on, and I hope for the best for him!

#16 Richard T

Richard T

• 2,108 posts

Felipe is one of the most symphatic souls on the grid. I wish him whatever he goes to do a lot of success and gets to be the leader of his team or organisation. And also that he gets to continue to work with connection to Ferrari or F1.

It's been 8 very joyful years with the Scuderia.

Ciao Felipe!

#17 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 18:59

Suppose he had to jump the gun and make an announcement tonight, nobody would even talk about him if it was announced at the same time as Kimi.

#18 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

I'm glad that Ferrari takes a better driver, but feel a bit sad too, even though Felipe didn't justify the results for the seat.

#19 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Massa's win in Brazil 2008 will go to the record books. He was mighty there and also in Istanbul.. I am still confident that he is a better driver than half of the grid and hope he lands a good seat next year..Sauber, ToroRosso, Williams, Lotus could all be some good options for next year. 

Advertisement

#20 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,798 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:00

I've wished him out of Ferrari quite a few times in the past years, but now I am sad. Thanks Felipe, and the best of luck finding a new team you are happy and successful in.

#21 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Much as he gave Lewis Hamilton a run for his money in 2008,Felipe will forever be remembered as Alonso's back-door-biatch...sadly.

#22 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,958 posts

He's a great guy, but it's definitely time to move on.

I just hope he learned from what happened to Rubens at the end of his career. Surely it is better to leave the sport on his own terms, rather than be forced out?

Who knows, he may find another drive in F1, but I'm not too confident.

#23 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

He's still a good driver for F1, it's just that after holding a seat for 8 years at Ferrari, and being outperformed by his teammates for most of those years, it really is time to move on. Even if he retires from the sport, what a career he's had. Think about it.

#24 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 400 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:01

Personally, I think he should retire as one of the longest serving Ferrari drivers in history rather then going to some midfield or back-end team for the rest of his career.

#25 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:01

Always liked Felipe but it's his time. Wish him the best.

#26 string158

string158

• 1,055 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:02

Massa had a good run for SF, a decent haul of wins under his belt.  Must be gutting to know how close he came in 2008, especially with Alonso moving into the team. 

Who is using Ferrari engines next year?  I wonder if Ferrari will be helping him move to one of them?

#27 Anja

Anja

• 10,346 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:02

End of an era. Not a big fan of his but I hope he finds some decent seat in F1 or elsewhere.

#28 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:03

No surprise.  Hopefully he will remain on the F1 grid next season.  He's shown flickers of his old form from time to time; perhaps a fresh start is just what he needs.  He has been a good servant for Ferrari, both in fighting for the WDC and playing the faithful No.2.

#29 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:03

I've wished him out of Ferrari quite a few times in the past years, but now I am sad. Thanks Felipe, and the best of luck finding a new team you are happy and successful in.

I'm feeling exactly the same.

#30 Tosh

Tosh

• 411 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:04

Thank you, Felipe ! Wish you the best!

#31 steferrari

steferrari

• 1,587 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:06

Grazie di tutto Felipe, I wish you the best and I hope you can find another competitive seat in F1... good luck, you're a great person !

#32 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:07

I never thought after 2008 that he wouldn't win another grand prix. I so wish he had won the title that year but I guess it wasn't to be. I hope he does find a new seat. I think he would be a new driver at a different team. Coulthard looked like he should retire from F1 after his last season at McLaren but his first couple of years at Red Bull were fantastic. 

#33 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,026 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:07

"From 2014 i will no longer be driving for Ferrari. I would like to thank the team for all the victories and incredible moments experienced together. Thank you also to my wife and all of my family, to my fans and all my Sponsors. From each one of you I have always received a great support! Right now I want to push as hard as possible with Ferrari for the remaining 7 races. For next year, I want to find a team that can give me a competitive car to win many more races and challenge for the Championship which remains my greatest objective! Thank you all. Felipe"

:lol: :lol:

Really, I can't believe he's saying that seriously...

About time he's given the knock, only 3 years too late.

#34 apexpredator

apexpredator

• 242 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:08

It has been sad to see the demise of Massa. I was never a fan of his although Ferrari is the team I've always supported. 

But let's not forget that there was a time when he would absolutely dominate races (particularly at Istanbul and Brazil). 

I believe many things have contributed to his decline in performance, the new tyres, Alonso/Ferrari battering him psychologically, the crash, and the fact that Ferrari just haven't produced quick cars since his return. I firmly believe that what Massa has delivered is in line with the car's performance. When the car is quick he is quick (e.g. Monza last year, this year). It also doesn't help that the grid is on an entirely new level of competition, it is being called the golden era of world champions plus the margins have been quite small. 

#35 mardmarium

mardmarium

• 489 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:09

Great respect towards Massa due to his efforts, his teamwork, his respect towards Ferrari and the achievements he has gotten in F1. Thanks Felipe!

#36 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,679 posts

I feel sorry for him. He was a nice guy, and he do in the same level as Kimi or Lewis till his incident in Hungary. + Imho Alonsos status also hurt him (mentally).

I hope he find a decent place, like Sauber, Lotus or FI where he can show that he still has potential.

+ fingers crossed for Hulkenberg win the WDC next year with the Lotus :-)

#37 Jeeves

Jeeves

• 1,089 posts

Well, that was sort of hanging in the air, so to speak. Would love to see him drive Sports Cars if he doesn't continue in F1.

Edited by Jeeves, 10 September 2013 - 19:10.

#38 jstrains

jstrains

• 3,221 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:10

Thank you Felipe

d06tur1894.jpg

felipe-massa_1106383c.jpeg

felipe-massa-dressed-up-as-santa.jpg

Edited by jstrains, 10 September 2013 - 19:17.

#39 Anja

Anja

• 10,346 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:10

+ fingers crossed for Hulkenberg win the WDC next year with the Lotus :-)

...what :drunk:

Advertisement

#40 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 588 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:11

It's a bit of a shame how the end of his Ferrari stint went. Such a great driver though. He just had a difficult situation in the team. Proves something that he was able to stick with the team for so long. Hopefully he'll find a team where he could truly find himself again as a driver and get that full confidence back. Well now he can drive the end of the season without too much pressure and hopefully he can make it count. I don't think that he deserves to be left out of the sport yet. Hoping here that he won't be walked over by the young guys with their piles of money.

Edit: Though I don't want him to go to a team that can fight only for 10th or worse positions.

Edited by Miggeex, 10 September 2013 - 19:13.

#41 MMandi

MMandi

• 137 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:12

Now I hope Lotus picks him up and he gets the environment he needs to pick up his performance I don't think he lost anything personally but good luck Felipe.

#42 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:12

He never really had the easiest teammates. From Villeneuve to Schumacher and Raikkonen, to top it all of 3 years against Alonso really made him look bad at times. But he hasn't had the easiest career mentally.

#43 Absulute

Absulute

• 1,051 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:13

Cheerio Felipe.

A really good driver, and part of the single funniest moment I've ever seen in F1.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=mlJWwuV9eBw

I hope he gets a decent ride.

#44 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:14

Was quite consistently outperforming Kimi before he got twatted in the face with a spring. Has never been the same driver since - although having to deal with Fred's talent and inevitable favoritism from the Ferrari management has no doubt muddied the picture.

As for next year? I think he'll end up at Williams with a healthy bag of Santander cash........

#45 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,958 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:15

Personally, I think he should retire as one of the longest serving Ferrari drivers in history rather then going to some midfield or back-end team for the rest of his career.

Same here. Or even worse - being forced to bring cash to another team.

He deserves more respect than that, and I'd rather him retire instead of being desperate to stay in F1. Just talk to Webber, Barrichello et al - there's life beyond Formula One.

#46 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,306 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:15

Sad to see this in a way, but I suppose Ferrari have given him every chance for the past three years and he's not been delivering.

It's a real shame, I firmly believe the accident killed his career. I was gutted (and hugely impressed by his attitude) when he lost the title in 2008, which I really felt he deserved. Then in 2009 he was fantastic, really world class until the accident, which I don't think he ever bounced back from.

So good memories, and although I think Ferrari are probably making the right decision it is a shame to see Felipe leaving them and, I suspect, F1.

#47 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:16

Santander cash!?

#48 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 19:17

I have not always been kind to him and wanted him gone, but now that he's leaving, I do feel sad.  He's one of the few genuinely good guys in the paddock and always will be the "almost" and "what if" kind of driver. Almost a champion. A great team player. 

Thank you for everything, Felipe. Damn, I wish he was on the podium at Monza. 

I do hope he will be on the podium in Brazil. He deserves it.

#49 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Sad to see this in a way, but I suppose Ferrari have given him every chance for the past three years and he's not been delivering.

It's a real shame, I firmly believe the accident killed his career. I was gutted (and hugely impressed by his attitude) when he lost the title in 2008, which I really felt he deserved. Then in 2009 he was fantastic, really world class until the accident, which I don't think he ever bounced back from.

So good memories, and although I think Ferrari are probably making the right decision it is a shame to see Felipe leaving them and, I suspect, F1.

I think 2009 was his best season actually. He wasn't making many mistakes, and it seemed like he was driving with the confidence of a champion. I really wish we had the chance to see whether he could drag that car to victory like Kimi did. 

#50 keeppari

keeppari

• 356 posts

I've hoped for a while that they'd oust him from Ferrari but still it feels kinda gloomy. He had a good start to 2010 but ever since it's been a steady downhill. I can't help but to think that Ferrari has been concentrating their efforts so hard with Alonso ever since he arrived that Felipe has been neglected. It would be interesting to see him have a go with another team next season.