- - - - -

Massa exits Ferrari from 2014 [split]

• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#101 Pitlane

Pitlane

• 433 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:14

Overall Felipe's story at SF was a sad one. ...

Well, its not all that sad. I mean, he can tell his children he teamed up with 3 of the best drivers in the world during his career, who had 11 WDC inbetween them.

Forgot he teamed up with Jacques as well :p

Edited by Pitlane, 10 September 2013 - 21:20.

Advertisement

#102 No brain no pain

No brain no pain

• 162 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:14

Felipe Massa posted this about an hour ago on his FB-account:

Nao vou mais correr pela ferrari a partir de 2014 ! Gostaria de agradecer pela amizade , Vitorias e um lindo momento com a Ferrari . A ajuda da minha esposa , da minha familia e de todos os meus Fans. Toda a ajuda dos meus patrocinadores !!... vou com tudo para as ultimate 7 corridas como piloto da Ferrari !A partir de agora quero achar uma equipe que me de um carro competitivo para conseguir mais vitorias e vencer um campeonato q e o meu sonho !! Um beijo a todos !! Felipe .See More
— feeling sad.
I will not run anymore by ferrari from 2014. I would like to thank you for your friendship, Victories and a beautiful moment with Ferrari. The help of my wife, my family and all my Fans. Any help from my sponsors! I'm all for the ultimate 7 races as Ferrari driver!From now on I want to find a team that give me a competitive car to achieve more victories and win a Championship q and my dream!! A kiss to all! Felipe. (Translated by Bing)

Edited by No brain no pain, 10 September 2013 - 21:16.

#103 EthanM

EthanM

• 2,104 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:17

It's sad that Felipe will be remembered for taking a grid penalty to allow Alonso a better starting position rather than the grace with which he handled defeat back in 2008.

I hope Ferrari can do him a final kindness and help him get a Sauber seat, just so he can wrap up his carreer without having to be a "team player" for a season

#104 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,074 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:19

I am sad for Felipe, but glad for F1.

Before his accident he could have been anything, as it is he has had a fine career, earned plenty of $$$ and has a lovely family to spend his life with. Thank goodness for the Hungarian doctors that saved his life.

#105 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:21

#F1 Rookie generation 2002 at their debut race in Melbourne - Mark Webber, Mika Salo, Felipe Massa, Allan McNish: http://bit.ly/15OwIF2 

Mark-Webber-2002-GP-Australien-McNish-Sa

Edited by V3TT3L, 10 September 2013 - 21:24.

#106 Pitlane

Pitlane

• 433 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:22

#F1 Rookie generation 2002 at their debut race in Melbourne - Mark Webber, Mika Salo, Felipe Massa, Allan McNish: http://bit.ly/15OwIF2 

Mika looks a bit asian dont you think ;)

#107 redreni

redreni

• 2,202 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:27

Predictable but still slightly depressing to see a minority of posters being disrespectful about a top, top sportsman and a true gentleman. A dedicated servant of the Scuderia. Rob Smedley remarked last season that, when asked if he was happy with Felipe's improved form, "I'm never gonna be appy until ee wins". I sincerely hope he does manage to get a win before the end of the season although this is pure hope rather than expectation.

It's clear to anyone who looks on Forix that Felipe is not the driver he was prior to his accident, but he is still the same man, which is something to be thankful for, frankly, when one considers the seriousness of what happened to him. He could have lost his life or ended up with profound brain damage. There could also be other factors playing into his loss of form, including the refuelling ban from 2010, the Alonso effect, and by now, age. But from 2009-2013 he has done his level best to deliver results for Ferrari and he showed in Hockenheim 2010, in Monza qualy 2012/2013, in Austin 2012 and at various other times that he is Ferrari through-and-through.

Up until 2009 he was a top, top driver, who on his day could outpace anybody. I don't know why but I'll always remeber Hungaroring 2008, when he drove around the outside of Hamilton at turn 1 then, knowing he was fuelled two laps shorter, pulled the required gap on supposedly the fastest driver on the grid. He didn't finish that race due to engine failure, but he really put one over Hamilton psychologically. Hamilton pushed so hard in a vain attempt to keep up, that he ran off the circuit and into the dust and grit and crap, and this may have contributed to Hamilton's subsequent puncture in that race.

He was brilliant at qualifying very light, leading from the front, and using the lighter car to get the gap to cover the overlap. He lost the 2008 championship because of pitstop blunders by the team, but he so nearly overcame those to win anyway. If the rain at Interlagos had held off another 30s he would have been world champion.

I don't see an opportunity for Felipe to drive for a winning team next year, and I doubt he will ever get such an opportunity in F1 again. I think he ought seriously to consider a switch to Indycar.

#108 Deerfield

Deerfield

• 102 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:31

It's sad that Felipe will be remembered for taking a grid penalty to allow Alonso a better starting position rather than the grace with which he handled defeat back in 2008.

I hope Ferrari can do him a final kindness and help him get a Sauber seat, just so he can wrap up his carreer without having to be a "team player" for a season

Sad in the sense that, when he was finally ready and everything seemed in favour of him, an incredibly unpredictable accident wiped his hopes off.

Regarding Sauber, I think Nicolas Todt is still involved, and sure Massa experience could be good for them

#109 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:35

Hasn't Massa been driving the Red cars for the longest with 8 years after Schumacher (11)?

Hope he'll find a seat. I expect him to go to Sauber. Hulk probably won't be there and with Sirotkin joining next year they need an experienced driver, which Guitierez isn't. Plus, they might get a discount on the engines by signing Massa.

#110 Massa

Massa

• 4,204 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:39

Hasn't Massa been driving the Red cars for the longest with 8 years after Schumacher (11)?

Hope he'll find a seat. I expect him to go to Sauber. Hulk probably won't be there and with Sirotkin joining next year they need an experienced driver, which Guitierez isn't. Plus, they might get a discount on the engines by signing Massa.

Ferrari: Grand Prix

1 Michael Schumacher, 179

2 Felipe Massa, 132

3 Rubens Barrichello, 102

4 Gerhard Berger, 96

5 Michele Alboreto, 80

6 Jean Alesi, 79

Ferrari: Wins

1 Michael Schumacher, 72

2 Niki Lauda, 15

3 Alberto Ascari, 13

4 Felipe Massa, 11

5 Fernando Alonso, 11

6 Rubens Barrichello/Kimi Raikkonen, 9

Ferrari: Poles

1 Michael Schumacher, 58

2 Niki Lauda, 23

3 Felipe Massa, 15

4 Alberto Ascari, 13

5 Jacky Ickx, 11

6 Rubens Barrichello, 11

#111 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,034 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:40

BT1BXotCAAAZt_4.jpg

Photo taken Saturday at Monza. Two lost dogs puppies   :(

That's a sad photo. 

#112 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 38,236 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:41

Can't say I'm sad to see him go, he should've gone last year or the year before ; but he was an extremely loyal servant to Ferrari and tried his best even though he clearly never got back to speed fully after the accident.  Not sure where he'll find a drive next year to be honest, I can't see Lotus taking him - Sauber I guess is his best shot.

#113 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,034 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:44

I still think he has some decent speed. But his mind needs to be worked so he can regain confidence on himself. Maybe in a free pressured environment he will deliver again. Rubens didn't do too bad at Honda/Brawn. 

#114 Pitlane

Pitlane

• 433 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:45

That's a sad photo. 

Yeah, it makes me think of how Marc Webber got to say goodbye to Monza on the podium. Must have been pretty hard on Massa as it may have been his last Italian GP aswell

#115 MMandi

MMandi

• 137 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:50

Actually I hope Mclaren or Lotus take him, I'm sure he has quite a bit of know how

#116 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:54

vader_nooo.jpg

#117 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 2,334 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:54

Massa just needs a new environment - Sauber would be perfect for him alongside Sirotkin. He'd have the lead driver role that could set him in the right state of mind again,. 

#118 MMandi

MMandi

• 137 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:57

I doubt Massa would want to be driving at Sauber, over simply leaving

#119 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,901 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 21:57

I think it is sad that people start points-scoring when we should be remembering the good times of one of the nicest guys in the paddock and one of the greatest servants Ferrari ever had.

Advertisement

#120 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,911 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 22:03

If he ever gt his confidence back be could still be a very good front runner.

Alonso's status within the team meant his motivation and confidence dipped.

Now that the pressure is off I bet we see a really strong Felipe.

#121 hogstar

hogstar

• 181 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 22:49

Massa had been a Ferrari for too long and it couldn't of done his confidence any good that every season could be your last with team. He is still worthy of a F1 seat and could thrive at the right team though his options appear to be limited, though Sauber being an obvious one if Nico moves on. I suspect Massa will be a far happier person next season and can run his own race without deferring to a team mate on occasion. All the very best to him.

#122 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,488 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 22:51

Either he wants to race or not. He should take the opportunities.. If not.. well maybe it would explain why he was nowhere these years.

#123 Winter98

Winter98

• 638 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 22:53

I am sad for Felipe, but glad for F1.

Before his accident he could have been anything, as it is he has had a fine career, earned plenty of $$$ and has a lovely family to spend his life with. Thank goodness for the Hungarian doctors that saved his life.

:up: :up: :up:

Very well said gtd.

#124 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,222 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 22:56

Bye.

I thought you were great at times, but you sat in that red car for too long and outstayed your welcome in my opinion.  Brazil 2008 was so close.  Your best and most poignant moment.

#125 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,417 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 22:58

Seems telling to me that despite the fact I never rooted for him or liked him much, I still can't come up with absolutely anything against him, real or perceived, as a bloke. "Honour" definitely is a word that fits him.

I personally don't believe the crash took away his speed, although it can't possibly have helped. I think it was just one in a series of events that slowly took away his desire/motivation. If you look at how he stacked up against Raikkonen, whilst there were variances in form, they were both very consistent and close to each other, the differences rarely beyond 2 tenths or 3. Yet against Alonso he had periods he was consistently very close albeit just behind the Spaniard, and others he was absolutely a million miles off. It varied so wildly, and curiously picked up back always when his seat was at stake. That screams motivation to me.

Now, this is not meant to be a slagging off of Massa at all. Look at all he's gone through, who wouldn't lose motivation? First against all odds he builds a performance momentum, self-belief and reputation nobody thought he had in him, culminating in 2008. Then he loses his one chance to win the title, at his home circuit no less, at the very last corner of the last lap despite a perfect performance. Then he nearly dies! Then when he comes back, he finds that his new team-mate is just a tiny little bit out of his reach, and his big golden chance in F1 as the leader of a top team is gone. Then just as a rare opportunity shows up to win a race, and maybe claim back some internal terrain vs Alonso, in a rare weekend Massa is on top, he's told to move over. No Hungary 2009 didn't finish Felipe Massa - it just wore him down. Germany 2010 did, however. And who wouldn't go down after all that.

Now, the future. I think he could recapture some of his form without pressure in the midfield, yes, but I don't think he's ever gonna be the same, and as things stand in F1 there aren't many seats below the top teams that won't go rather to paydrivers, or young guns who are as quick and more promising than Felipe these days. I'm not seeing a lot of future here, and it may be best to retire if he has any choice at all. He will be fondly remembered by many as the driver he used to be a few years back, in particular that weekend in Brazil in 2008. He ultimately wasn't a crowned winner, but it doesn't feel right to label him a loser. His career was so incredibly similar to his fellow Brazilian predecessor Rubens Barrichello, yet their attitude and the reaction you had for both drivers couldn't be any more strikingly different. Rubens was mocked by a nation, Felipe respected by fans of all nations. Within good reason.

#126 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,417 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 22:58

Seems telling to me that despite the fact I never rooted for him or liked him much, I still can't come up with absolutely anything against him, real or perceived, as a bloke. "Honour" definitely is a word that fits him.

I personally don't believe the crash took away his speed, although it can't possibly have helped. I think it was just one in a series of events that slowly took away his desire/motivation. If you look at how he stacked up against Raikkonen, whilst there were variances in form, they were both very consistent and close to each other, the differences rarely beyond 2 tenths or 3. Yet against Alonso he had periods he was consistently very close albeit just behind the Spaniard, and others he was absolutely a million miles off. It varied so wildly, and curiously picked up back always when his seat was at stake. That screams motivation to me.

Now, this is not meant to be a slagging off of Massa at all. Look at all he's gone through, who wouldn't lose motivation? First against all odds he builds a performance momentum, self-belief and reputation nobody thought he had in him, culminating in 2008. Then he loses his one chance to win the title, at his home circuit no less, at the very last corner of the last lap despite a perfect performance. Then he nearly dies! Then when he comes back, he finds that his new team-mate is just a tiny little bit out of his reach, and his big golden chance in F1 as the leader of a top team is gone. Then just as a rare opportunity shows up to win a race, and maybe claim back some internal terrain vs Alonso, in a rare weekend Massa is on top, he's told to move over. No Hungary 2009 didn't finish Felipe Massa - it just wore him down. Germany 2010 did, however. And who wouldn't go down after all that.

Now, the future. I think he could recapture some of his form without pressure in the midfield, yes, but I don't think he's ever gonna be the same, and as things stand in F1 there aren't many seats below the top teams that won't go rather to paydrivers, or young guns who are as quick and more promising than Felipe these days. I'm not seeing a lot of future here, and it may be best to retire if he has any choice at all. He will be fondly remembered by many as the driver he used to be a few years back, in particular that weekend in Brazil in 2008. He ultimately wasn't a crowned winner, but it doesn't feel right to label him a loser. His career was so incredibly similar to his fellow Brazilian predecessor Rubens Barrichello, yet their attitude and the reaction you had for both drivers couldn't be any more strikingly different. Rubens was mocked by a nation, Felipe respected by fans of all nations. Within good reason.

#127 No brain no pain

No brain no pain

• 162 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 23:01

Mika Salo is not in this pic. Takuma Sato is.....

#128 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,417 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 23:06

Contrary to what that photo makes it look like, Mark Webber is not a giant -he's just besides 3 midgets. Just sayin'

#129 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,172 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 23:16

Felipe could have been a great driver had not been for the Hungary 2009 accident. What a pity. From that point he just didn't deliver and he's been quite lucky to keep his seat for another 4 years. Ferrari have been very human with him and have given him so many opportunities, unseen in any professional environment to be honest. Also it's obvious that this is not Felipe's decision so it's another great treatment from Ferrari to one of their most faithful drivers. In my opinion he's going to have a tough time in finding a competitive drive at this point, especially when top teams are already defined. The Lotus seat will most likely go to Hulkenberg, and Mercedes, Red Bull, McLaren have already decided their 2014 lineup. Might find a place in Williams, who knows, any other option will just mean he'll collect some more money before retiring from F1.

In 2008 I was really rooting for him. I felt very sorry for such a horrible way to lose the championship especially when he did an incredible race in Hungary until the engine blew up or was going to win when Ferrari screwed up in the pits in Singapore. He deserved that title even if he was almost as error prone as Lewis Hamilton that year.

Good luck Felipe

Edited by Nitropower, 10 September 2013 - 23:17.

#130 GustavoB

GustavoB

• 252 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 23:33

As a brazilian I'll remember Felipe in his peak....2008 was a wonderful season to watch, the dificulty to overtake, the battles against Hamilton and Raikonnen. But today 4 moments still stand clear no my mind...

That double overtake over Barrichelo and Kovalainen

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JG7y3XqBuY4

His qualifying lap in Singapure with more fuel than Raikonnen and 0.5 seconds faster....

The start of Hungary GP when he braked later than Hamilton and when outside to get 1st place, did a perfect race to have the victory taken by an engine fail. 

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=kC7-Qdcj7wQ

And the end of Brazilian GP...when the GP started I was thinking that just a miracle could give the title to him....but in the last lap I was like Oh my God he will be champion, just not beliving in that, a brazilian driver being champion in Brazil...and than all that frustration, I couldn't believe for a few minutes I was just in shock. 

#131 BlackCat

BlackCat

• 797 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 23:33

good riddance - never liked the guy, too emotional like a sissy.

#132 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 917 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 23:43

Either he wants to race or not. He should take the opportunities.. If not.. well maybe it would explain why he was nowhere these years.

But what is better? Making up the numbers in the midfield of F1, or potentially having the chance to challenge for wins/podiums in something like IndyCar or whatever?

As I said earlier (although no surprise if it falls on deaf ears on this incredibly F1 oriented forum) there's life beyond Formula One. He'd be an asset to another series, that's for sure.

#133 HP

HP

• 14,177 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 00:06

Thank you Felipe. I wished you'd taken a WDC with Ferrari.

In the end you showed to everyone that winning in F1 can be different than to win at all costs.For that alone you gave more to Ferrari and F1 than you can possibly imagine.

Wish you success whatever your next step is.

Ciao

#134 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 00:16

You're aware he won't read you here, right?

#135 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,040 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 00:21

His 2008 season was one of the best we have seen. But I think he was out of his depth in 2010 once Fernando came along. But still, I liked him quite a bit.

#136 Morbus

Morbus

• 438 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 00:24

When Massa gave way for Alonso in Germany, I said it right there and then: "we will never win a race in Ferrari again, and if he doesn't quit fast, he will never win an F1 race again, at any team".

What. Did. I. Say?

#137 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 00:32

When Massa gave way for Alonso in Germany, I said it right there and then: "we will never win a race in Ferrari again, and if he doesn't quit fast, he will never win an F1 race again, at any team".

What. Did. I. Say?

You genius! Mama mia regazzo!

#138 unitedevents

unitedevents

• 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 00:38

I'll remember Felipe for Interlagos, but also for the incredible Fuji 2007 battle with Robert Kubica. In fact, I think this was probably the best battle in F1 in this century so far. Last lap for 6th place and they exchanged positions on every corner. MAGIC!

It's such a shame that both, Felipe and Robert never fullfilled their potential through their incredibly bad luck in an era where motor racing is deemed the safest.

I'm sorry for the results he had in his "second" Ferrari career, but he needed more ego. I'm sure he could have found a place in a top team after Hockenheim 2010, yet he stayed at Ferrari and the situation just got worse. 5 podiums in 2010, none in 2011. Taking Kubica's place at Renault or better Petrov's place would have been great.

I just hope Kimi is truly 100% immune to the whole Alonso politics machine in Ferrari.

#139 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,040 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 00:48

I'll remember Felipe for Interlagos, but also for the incredible Fuji 2007 battle with Robert Kubica. In fact, I think this was probably the best battle in F1 in this century so far. Last lap for 6th place and they exchanged positions on every corner. MAGIC!

It's such a shame that both, Felipe and Robert never fullfilled their potential through their incredibly bad luck in an era where motor racing is deemed the safest.

I'm sorry for the results he had in his "second" Ferrari career, but he needed more ego. I'm sure he could have found a place in a top team after Hockenheim 2010, yet he stayed at Ferrari and the situation just got worse. 5 podiums in 2010, none in 2011. Taking Kubica's place at Renault or better Petrov's place would have been great.

I just hope Kimi is truly 100% immune to the whole Alonso politics machine in Ferrari.

Kimi wouldn't care.

Advertisement

#140 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,543 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 00:54

:up:

Nail on the head really. That's a pretty comprehensive list of things that have fought to bring him down, and you hadn't even mentioned his struggles with the new tyres in both '10 and '11. This is unquestionably the end of his F1 career, thus the end of the class of '02 as well.

#141 Rebbeharc

Rebbeharc

• 52 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 00:59

Contrary to what that photo makes it look like, Mark Webber is not a giant -he's just besides 3 midgets. Just sayin'

293awc2.jpg

#142 Gag Bueno

Gag Bueno

• 360 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:17

Wish him all the best for the future (even if sometimes the obsession from the Brazilian media with him was hard to understand ... ) but I don't believe he will remain in F1. And:

Actually since China 2010  and Ferrari's half-arsed "apology" it was pretty clear that tough times were coming for Felipe-Baby ...

#143 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:27

Fitting

fec6c7cecc2d8bcd7fea584f3f6a366f58e45690

#144 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,665 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:27

I thought the way Massa handled losing the 2008 WDC was one of the best exibitions of class under duress I have ever seen in sports.

I can't say I feel sorry for a guy who got to drive so many years for Ferrari and the $ he put in his pocket. Plus he has the memories of his wins. I hope he stays in F1, I always enjoy seeing his Dad in the garage,

Edited by Watkins74, 11 September 2013 - 01:31.

#145 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:14

Come try out NASCAR, Felipe! You have a lot of Brazilian brothers watching and racing already. 

#146 exmayol

exmayol

• 551 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:29

I tend to agree but with next year tech changes Sauber may repeat their 2012 stunt and produce a good car.

#147 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,024 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:47

It was a great run Massa!!  Thanks for the thrills!

Never Give Up!  Gun for F1 in 2014!!  :D

#148 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,716 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:11

When I saw Massa in his first year at Ferrari, he was less than impressive at the Oz Gp and I remember saying to my brother "He'll be out by mid season" after he spun or crashed near us (cant remember which).

Happy to eat my words.

The heartbreaking moment when you saw his dad in the garage realise that he hadnt won the WDC sticks out as one of my strongest single memories of the last decade in F1.

To have the balls to come back after the Hungary accident is impressive and cant be underestimated. Was such a shame that the next time he looked like winning Fernando suddenly got faster than him.

Overall, seemed to friendly and jovial to be an F1 driver, that will be missed.

#149 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,434 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:20

Good luck to Massa, a good driver, nothing less, nothing more :up: . Kudos for being the first to officially announce it :up: :up: :up:

#150 aray

aray

• 2,516 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:35

Goodbye Felipe....i wish he had won 2008 WDC...

Edited by aray, 11 September 2013 - 03:37.