- - - - -

Massa exits Ferrari from 2014 [split]

• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#151 lewymp4

lewymp4

• 520 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:56

If the rain at Interlagos had held off another 30s he would have been world champion.

If it didn't rain, Glock wouldn't have never been able to secure 4th place.

Advertisement

#152 Icicle

Icicle

• 528 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:07

Thank you Felipe.

#153 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:32

thank you  Felipe for your service to Ferrari and F1 in general.

to all the people who are sad that he didn't win the 2008 WDC, here's a thought

if he had been a WDC, do you think he'd have been more insulted after the things Ferrari did when Alonso arrived??? as bad as things were since 2010, it'd have been even worse for massa if he was a 1 time WDC. look how people (including me) rate JB's WDC. but he proved critics (again me included) wrong by being head and shoulders with LH.

i'm for once glad (now) that he didn't win the 2008 wdc, it would've demoralized him even more and made him more pathetic to the F1 community. (i.e nicky hayden of F1 IMO)

#154 Gorma

Gorma

• 1,279 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:36

I think a WDC would have given Massa a lot more confidence and he would have been a better driver.

#155 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,262 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:44

Sad to see him go. He was one of the biggest reasons to like Ferrari in recent years. His attitude on the podium in Brazil '08 said it all. I don't think he was ever the same after his accident though.

#156 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 1,698 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:50

I'm glad to see him out of Ferrari. That atmosphere couldn't be good for his mental attitude.

I don't want to see him out of F1 though. There are a few teams using Ferrari engines next year, i'm sure Ferrari could leverage him a deal with one of those teams.

#157 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:04

I think a WDC would have given Massa a lot more confidence and he would have been a better driver.

maybe, but to me ... Massa will be remembered more as a driver who held the WDC for a few seconds (not in a derogatory way), it was one of those sad stories that makes the history more memorable than a happy ending.

i still remember how he beat his chest to show unity with the crowd who were even more disappointed that day, and honestly that made my eyes water. some say that Alonso not winning 2012 was the greatest tragedy in F1, well i disagree, if there was a tragic end to a WDC battle, i'd certainly be 2008.

How many WDC contenders have lost WDC that narrowly in his home GP??? i don't remember any

manu people say now that after some years massa will be remembered as a lap dog for Alonso, for his 'alonso is faster than you' or the 'gearbox seal'. but in reality, massa will be remembered for his lost 2008 WDC and his fight back to the grid after 2009 accident. 

d08bra2027s.jpg

#158 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 403 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:27

I met Massa earlier this year when he was in town for the F1 race. Trully a great person, met his dad and mother as well. He was down to earth, and humble. We shook hands, took a pic, and i wished him all the best.

I'm a huge Massa fan, but he was just not the same since 2009 accident.

I wish him all the best, perhaps at Lotus, or Sauber, or even at Le Mans with Mark Webber.

He gave it his best, and that was it.

#159 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 1,710 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:08

A driver that exceeded the expectations of myself and many other people. When Ferrari signed him as testdriver after his stint with Sauber, I thought: 'Career over. But he was never anything special in the first place.' Then he was chosen as teammate for Schumacher and I have to admit: he was much, much better than I expected. The best teammate Schumacher had to face except for Nico Rosberg. One of the most succesfull drivers of Ferrari.

Grazie, Felipe, and my apologies for underestimating you at the start of your career!

Advertisement

#160 kimster89

kimster89

• 617 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:20

Felipe will  go down as one of the unluckiest drivers in f1. To lose the championship like that is truly awful experience. I think losing that WDC+accident from which he was no the same+Hard team mate destroyed him mentally.

#161 teejay

teejay

• 3,632 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:31

I just hope Smedley stays - he is a character of the paddock!

#162 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:46

I've never got my head round where his speed comes from, when he seems to miss so many apexes and needs coaching about exit speed by Smedley.  Anyway he has been quick, fair play.  I liked him in 2008, didn't in 2011, now I'm happy to wish him well in whatever's he's going to do next.  I doubt that'll be F1 though.  

#163 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:57

He will be out of F1. I can't see him in any team from Top 5 cause he isn't the same Felipe as he used to be. Let's be honest he often is slow, it is simply as that. He doesn't bring any cash as well, he is old. There is simply not a single reason to hire him at the very moment.

Though I wish him all the best in his life. 

#164 Puhoon

Puhoon

• 236 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:10

Way to show respect, Say what you will about Massa but he did everything Farrari asked of him

Why should I show respect? It's not like he died or something. 

#165 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:22

I liked the way Felipe was, and always thought that he is a WDC material. I do still think that he can, if he was given better race team. 

Do work hard to be in Lotus!

#166 baddog

baddog

• 23,332 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:22

Everyone thought he was a joke, and he showed he was far from it. The accident probably was the beginning of the end, and it was extremely clear Ferrari had to move on soon, but that doesnt take away from his achievements, or the great mindset and attitude he brought to the series.

If he stays in another team then best luck to him, if not then likewise.

#167 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,297 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:27

thank you  Felipe for your service to Ferrari and F1 in general.

to all the people who are sad that he didn't win the 2008 WDC, here's a thought

if he had been a WDC, do you think he'd have been more insulted after the things Ferrari did when Alonso arrived??? as bad as things were since 2010, it'd have been even worse for massa if he was a 1 time WDC. look how people (including me) rate JB's WDC. but he proved critics (again me included) wrong by being head and shoulders with LH.

i'm for once glad (now) that he didn't win the 2008 wdc, it would've demoralized him even more and made him more pathetic to the F1 community. (i.e nicky hayden of F1 IMO)

Find a better example, man. :lol:   Hayden is the last person I would ever call pathetic.   

#168 destiny

destiny

• 104 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:39

Massa has been violated (willingly) as a No 2 for so many years, it would have destroyed his self-confidence & self-esteem to be a leader again.

Unless he brings big sponsorship money Williams and Lotus would not look at him.They would look for a top pilot or a rich pay driver.It is best for him to look outside F1 for new challenges rather than to be in a small team and struggle or maybe beaten by a rokee

Edited by destiny, 11 September 2013 - 08:40.

#169 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,960 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:44

Having Fernando as a team mate along with all his political games and demands can be quite toxic for someone. Only Lewis weathered the storm and that is because Ron firmly had his arm around him and there was no clear #1 and #2 driver policy.

I hope Kimi can weather the storm next year with all the BS that comes along with Fernando Alonso, unless Kimi is equally as fast and that unsettled Fernando.

I hope Massa can find refuge at Sauber or maybe even Torro Rosso. It'll mean he will have been powered by Ferrari all his entire career if he does so.

#170 destiny

destiny

• 104 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:49

I hope Massa can find refuge at Sauber or maybe even Torro Rosso. It'll mean he will have been powered by Ferrari all his entire career if he does so.

He should go out of F1 to newer challenges as he has been well trained to be a good N0 2,he can never succeed here.

Edited by destiny, 11 September 2013 - 08:51.

#171 icewest07

icewest07

• 220 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:15

maybe, but to me ... Massa will be remembered more as a driver who held the WDC for a few seconds (not in a derogatory way), it was one of those sad stories that makes the history more memorable than a happy ending.

i still remember how he beat his chest to show unity with the crowd who were even more disappointed that day, and honestly that made my eyes water. some say that Alonso not winning 2012 was the greatest tragedy in F1, well i disagree, if there was a tragic end to a WDC battle, i'd certainly be 2008.

How many WDC contenders have lost WDC that narrowly in his home GP??? i don't remember any

manu people say now that after some years massa will be remembered as a lap dog for Alonso, for his 'alonso is faster than you' or the 'gearbox seal'. but in reality, massa will be remembered for his lost 2008 WDC and his fight back to the grid after 2009 accident. 

d08bra2027s.jpg

This is a great pic more so because ironically the 2 guys standing behind him on this podium (highlight of his career if you ask me) are the ones who will make his whole career (ups and downs)  mostly remembered in the F1 History boooks : many will argue that he famously beat/matched Kimi and 'forced him out' of Ferrari only to get destroyed by Alonso so that Kimi can rejoin Ferrari...

Farewell Felipe ! It's better like that, because your position at Ferrari lately was only becoming an embarrassment for yourself...

Ps : I'm a Kimi fans btw :wave:

Edited by icewest07, 11 September 2013 - 09:17.

#172 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 743 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:41

I was always hoping that Massa would regain his pre-accident form with Ferrari and become a genuine contender again, although I would imagine that were it not for the accident, if his pace/consistency had been as poor as it has been over the last couple of years, he would have lost his seat already.

I wonder if a move to GT/tin-top racing might be beneficial for him, where the danger of being hit by anything while driving is vastly reduced.

#173 sportingcp

sportingcp

• 106 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:50

FINALLY! After his accident he was a waste of a top seat. It is more than time for him to move on and do something else.

#174 kar

kar

• 10,307 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:03

Felipe, a damn good driver on his day, a far better team player than Barrichello and probably faster too.

Really ought to have been world champion in 2008. 

Thank you for the memories, the victories and the smile.

Good luck Felipe and thank you again!

#175 kimister

kimister

• 929 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:12

Good luck Felipe baby  :p

#176 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:28

Best of luck Massa. May you get a race seat next year, preferably in the Lotus with Petrobras backup.

#177 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,307 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:39

I hope he get's a drive at Sauber. I have been wanting him to leave Ferrari since end of 2010.

The down fall started with his accident, but then nothing ever helped matters after that. Giving up his win in Germany 2010 was one of the stand out moments for me where I knew he was not going to be able to compete to his full ability mentally. Situations like effect people like Massa, but its all done now and he was the best team player in F1, and certainly one of the nice guys with a good personality.

If he leaves F1 I will still follow his career with interest.

#178 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 13,677 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:42

Massa's strength was always leading from the front. Unfortunately for him, Ferrari have had a mere ten front row starts in the last 4.5 years (compared with 44 in the preceeding three seasons). If we'd seen the Alonso-Massa pairing in the RBR, I suspect he'd have given Alonso a run for his money.  Instead we've seen a constant need for the Ferraris to fight with traffic, and that's played to Alonso's strength.

#179 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,035 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:44

All the luck for next years! You will be a strong opponent in any team! And we still have 7 GP to have some fun! pic.twitter.com/gsHQvVY9hT

Advertisement

#180 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:59

All the luck for next years! You will be a strong opponent in any team! And we still have 7 GP to have some fun! pic.twitter.com/gsHQvVY9hT

com'on felipe baby, show the world that you aren't Alonso's lap dog no more ... End your Ferrari career  in a Blaze of Glory 

#181 lewymp4

lewymp4

• 520 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 18:18

I just hope Smedley stays - he is a character of the paddock!

Hopefully Smedley could become Raikkonen race engineer, but i doubt that could ever happen. Can you imagine how the s**t would hit the fan, if ever Smedley was ever to tell Raikkonen to pick up the pace, or " Fernando is faster than you.".... :lol:

#182 unitedevents

unitedevents

• 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 18:47

I think Smedley goes with Felipe or he gets promoted. He might enjoy working with Kimi, but he has friendship with Felipe and I think he'll follow him.

#183 mkoscevic

mkoscevic

• 629 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 18:55

Goodbye Felipe, thanks for many supreme moments since 2006 in red cars.

It feels like 2006 wasn't so far away back and Malaysia, Turkey, Brazil are still fresh in my mind.

#184 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,352 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 19:25

I hope Alonso has a chance to pay Felipe back somewhere in the next seven races, the title is long gone. Massa absolutely deserves payback for Hockenheim 2010, Monza 2012, Monza 2013 and USA 2012.

#185 Exb

Exb

• 1,155 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 20:25

Will be sad to see Felipe leave F1, but not sure if there is anywhere else he can go that could provide him with a competitive car or not seem like a massive step down after driving for Ferrari. He has had a very good career (winning 11 gps and 2 constructors titles which is a lot more than a lot of drivers can say) but I think my standout moment of his career was the win, podium and press conference in Brazil 2008. I think he gained so much respect that day. I don't think he ever fully recovered from the accident in 2009 and his confidence seemed to take a huge knock with Alonso as his team mate so I think it is right he should move on. Hopefully he can have some good results before the end of the season, maybe now he knows he is leaving some of the pressure will be lifted and he can get back a bit of speed and consistency that saw him go so close in 2008. I wish him the best of luck wherever he goes and whatever he does as he seems like a great guy and well liked by all that know him.
Thanks for all the memories Felipe!!!

#186 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 20:35

SD gives his thought regarding Massa's departure 

http://formula1.ferr...h.8AONtv9o.dpuf

“At the start of the summer, we had a meeting to assess the situation and I reiterated that renewing our agreement was one of the options on the table, maybe it was even the most likely.
Then came a series of difficult races, for him and for the team and in the end, we realized the best choice, for both parties, was to make a change.
I think that, even for Felipe, the time had come to look outside what had become his home for twelve years and which, to a certain extent, will always be his home. You see, I saw Felipe arrive in Maranello when he was just a kid and I will see him walk out of here a grown man. ''

#187 BiH

BiH

• 2,309 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 20:37

Seems like genuine friendship between the two.

Similar to Schumacher and Massa days, expect Schumacher for whatever reason doesn't seem to care anymore lol. Think he used to go to Felipe's kart race every year.

#188 expert

expert

• 1,025 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 21:02

d08bra2027s.jpg

Yeah pretty amazing stuff.

Also, nice moment between the "iceman" and Felipe at the end of this clip.

#189 bernardv

bernardv

• 123 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 21:28

It would be real funny if Massa gets a seat at Lotus and then Lotus ends up in front of Ferrari in 2014 WCC. 

#190 MMandi

MMandi

• 137 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 22:05

It would be real funny if Massa gets a seat at Lotus and then Lotus ends up in front of Ferrari in 2014 WCC. 

I thought this...

#191 GerardF1

GerardF1

• 690 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:06

You know he was never WDC - for any length of time.   It isn't like he held the trophy at the FIA awards and then Hamilton snatched it from him.

#192 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,116 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:07

You know he was never WDC - for any length of time.   It isn't like he held the trophy at the FIA awards and then Hamilton snatched it from him.

Holding a trophy is just for show.

#193 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,092 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:13

d08bra2027s.jpg

You summed it up quite well mate  :up:

Kudos. 

#194 GerardF1

GerardF1

• 690 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:23

Holding a trophy is just for show.

Actually winning the WDC is for keeps.

This 38.907 second pretend championship is a nice myth. But it is still a myth.  You might as well walk around and tell people that at the first race of the year that Chilton was in a 22 way tie for the title and was co-champion.  The point he was in the tie was before the race - but he was still co-champion.

#195 wrcva

wrcva

• 978 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:08

He has the speed but has not been able to race without some sort of script before.    It will be great to see him "free roaming" in some team without any corporate constraints for the final judgement before he retires.    

#196 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:50

#197 Tropicana

Tropicana

• 29 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 17:42

You know he was never WDC - for any length of time. It isn't like he held the trophy at the FIA awards and then Hamilton snatched it from him.

Lol. The way some people here hate Hamilton you would think he did just that.

Anyway my dream is Massa ends up at a team that unexpectedly makes a championship capable car and the championship comes down to him and Lewis again. Imagine last race of the season. Lewis vs Massa again for tge title.

#198 Electric

Electric

• 9 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:06

Always liked Massa, my hear broke for him in 2008 when I saw him with tears in his eyes. He has had a great time at Ferrari no doubt, and has beaten Schumacher, Raikkonen and Alonso at some point during that.

I hope he stays on the grid as well, he still has lots to offer and it would be a shame if he were to go.

Thanks Felipe.

That is what I remember.  It was so cruel the way things played out.  And not to forget the time when got hit on the head in 2009, almost killed him.  He came back and still raced well.  Sad to see him loose his Ferrari seat.

#199 Der Pate

Der Pate

• 624 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:59

I always said, that Massa doesn´t deserve a ride on the Ferrari! But now I´m feeling sorry for him! Hopefully he gets a ride at some other decent team in F1! I didn´t like his way of driving, but he seems to be a nice guy!

Advertisement

#200 Tropicana

Tropicana

• 29 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 14:38

The amazing thing is people here making posts saying they wished Massa had won the title in 2008. Amazing! It would have been a lot more sad it Hamilton had lost the championship on the last race of the season 2 years in a row. Nothing Hamilton has done would have made him deserve that. Clearly he is faster than Massa and most of the field. As a matter of fact it would have been a tragedy if he was running around with 0 championships while Massa was running around as Nando's servant  as a former champion. The right man won the title despite the disgrace the whole Spa incident was.

I hope Massa ends up at another team but he might revert to the bitter 2011 Massa who would rather crash than let Hamilton pass him. I would not really be sad if he has to move on from F1.