Photo

Curragh Races 1954 - Handicaps

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 19:14

This is a question for experts on Irish races. I have the results of the 1954 Wakefield Trophy races at the Curragh, and the handicap results for the concurrent O'Boyle Trophy.

Can anyone tell me if the competitors were flagged the first time they passed the line after the winner crossed it in accordance with standard modern practice, or if they were allowed to continue circulating until they had completed the full 30 laps, (of course minus credit laps) ? This was the "norm" for British pre-war long distance handicaps. There would then be a time limit eg 10 minutes after the winner crossed the line, so most would complete 30 laps but not all.

The reason I ask is that with knowledge of the handicap and the average speed, one can calculte the race time. I have been able to agree the times for 1st - 6th which were published in the Irish Times so I know my maths is OK. The method works fine down to about 16th then goes haywire for reason's I can't  fathom. However the time depends on whether the cars ran out the full 30 laps or if some were flagged off with different laps, which is the only logical solution I can come to.   

Richard Page

Advertisement

#2 prpr

prpr

• 148 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 19:47

No idea on the answer but if nobody else can help I advise you contact the Royal Irish Automobile Club (riac.ie), Bob Montgomery is the man to talk to on all matters relating to Irish motorsport history.