Photo
* * * * - 8 votes

IndyCar Grand Prix of Houston

• Please log in to reply
657 replies to this topic

Poll: Why not.. (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Sato?

1. Sato (14 votes [25.93%])

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

2. Sato (9 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. Sato (8 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

4. Sato (16 votes [29.63%])

Percentage of vote: 29.63%

5. Sato (7 votes [12.96%])

Percentage of vote: 12.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 21:12

WE HOUSTON NOW!
WE STANDING STARTS AGAIN!

2dr.png

6595DCFEC46368226A133A8CA87037.jpg

Everything is bigger in Texas, including the first corner pile-ups. After only a month, Baltimore will have to hand that particular crown over. But don't worry: if it can be smoked, snorted, freebased, drank, eaten, injected or absorbed rectally, Baltimore is still the place to get it. But with two races, you will likely get more of it in Houston. Settle down, settle down. I know another street circuit is just about as much excitement as we can take, and now our dreams will be invaded for the next 3 weeks with visions of Houston's concrete goddess. Fortunately, I've found an excellent way of passing the time until the first race on October 5th: by playing the "Be an IndyCar Track Designer!" game! It's easier than hide and go seek. Simply walk into a crowded part of downtown, regard a section of asphalt last repaved in 1976 thoughtfully for a few moments, and then nod knowingly at a passerby and say "You know, we could build a beautiful chicane here". Then find the mayor and demand he close down the city for a week and give you 50 million dollars. Play it with your kids!

Dat Schedule:

5 October (Saturday)

"Race" 1: 3:00pm

6 October (Sunday)

"Race" 2: 1:00pm

Note: All times posted Eastern/Greatest time zone. For West Coast USA, subtract 3 hours. For British/European, add 5 hours. For other time zones, other times.

Other Important Stuff:
(click to open .pdf)

Entry list

Spotter guide

Pit lane assignments

Full schedule

"I can't watch the race on TV! Can someone give me a stream?"

1300044776986.jpg
>still needing mazes

If you don't know where to go by now you're doing something wrong! Just pigeon a message to anyone here on race day complaining about the anthem singer and you'll get a nice message back.

Hey%20;%20%29.png

Houston's race around the Reliant Park circuit shows its age by the fact that Paul Tracy, Jimmy Vasser and Gil de Ferran have all won here more recently than Dario Franchitti last won here. The 2003, 2008 and 2009 events here were among the most memorable. Sebastien Bourdais won here in 2006 and 2007, before the whole Toro Rosso thing, so we can reasonably expect him to drag his car into the top 10 before it all goes tits up on him in the end. Unlike Toronto, I've never been to Houston, and therefore cannot reasonably say anything all that hilarious about the place. I could just pretend to know what I'm talking about (Coulthard-style, as I like to think of it) but it occurs to me that someone from Texas might actually read this, and that they probably have guns. Growing up in Canada, I was therefore never murdered by any of my classmates, and thus have never become desensitized to firearms. Houston has hosted a few open wheel races in the past and I suggest you try your best to enjoy the doubleheader coming up on the first weekend of October. Castroneves' lead and consitency and IndyCar's current oval aero packages mean Fontana is likely to be a bit of a bore, and even if it isn't, I'll probably spend most of the race thinking about Greg Moore. Houston may be the last chance for us to be happy and excited about anything IndyCar until Long Beach next year.

You may remember past Grands Prix in Houston, but never fear, if you drink enough cough syrup you're bound to forget any damage IndyCar has inflicted upon your brain. Just in case you didn't know that was an option. The two races this weekend are rounds 17 and 18 of 19, and conclude what in fairness has been an excellent season for IndyCar in terms of on-track product. And also in terms of everyone still being alive so far. 2013 has seen 11 different winners in 16 races, proving that on any given Sunday in IndyCar, the best drivers and teams can be screwed out of the victory. James Hinchcliffe has three wins. Strangely, this is more than his teammate Ryan Hunter-Reay (who is signed for next year), Marco Andretti (who is signed for next year), and E.J. Viso, who may just turn up next year to crush more dreams whether he's signed or not. Scott Dixon has three wins as well, the Mayor of Dixtown taking the return to Pocono and both races in Toronto. Indeed, who would have guessed that with the season nearly over, Dario Franchitti is the only Ganassi driver without a victory. Dixon's three victories are joined by the maiden win for Charlie Kimball (the only licensed IndyCar driver to compete with diarrhea), which took place at Mid Ohio.

helio75h_1478123a.jpg

It may seem a bit early to start reminiscing about the season, but there are only 3 races to go and only 1 after Houston, and the title is Helio Castroneves' to lose with the lead of 49 points he has, despite the constant presence of Scott "The Taxman" Dixon looming in the shadows and creeping up behind him. After last week's NASCAR race at Richmond I fear any more mathematics of any kind is too much for any of us to take, and indeed, I got a nosebleed just looking at the word "points" up there. Essentially, it comes down to this (or at least, it would have done, if IndyCar didn't insist on giving bonus points for every driver who manages to turn a lap without pissing themselves too thoroughly). Here is a basic overview of the major scenarios:

• If Dixon wins all three remaining races, Helio needs to finish 3rd or better in all three. This would be a points difference of 45 in Dixon's favor, not enough to overcome Castroneves' 49-point lead.
  • If Dixon wins all three and gets at least 5 bonus points somewhere in there (either from leading a lap, leading the most laps, qualifying bonuses, etc.) then Helio needs better than a hat-trick of thirds.
  • If Helio finishes 2nd with no bonus points in the last 3 races, he will have 621pts. If he does this, no matter what Dixon does, Helio wins the title (Dixon winning all 3 races plus a maximum of bonuses at each gives him 615).
  • Simon Pagenaud, basically, needs to score podiums at each race and have both Dixon and Helio down in the low teens to have any chance at all. A win for either of them will (for all intents and purposes) eliminate him.
  • Marco Andretti is 1pt behind Pagenaud and Ryan Hunter-Reay is 4pts behind Pagenaud: everything that applies to him applies to them, only slightly more so.
  • In a tie between Dixon and Helio, the driver with the most wins would have the tiebreaker. Dixon has 3 wins, and Helio 1. If there is a tie with Helio winning 2 of the remaining races and Dixon none of them, the tiebreaker moves to the number of second places, which is the reverse of the wins: Helio has 3, Dixon has 1.

You may not wish to admit it, but I for one have no problem admitting ignorance (I'd have nothing to admit if I didn't), so you're welcome to join me in putting your hands up and conceding you have no idea how the IndyCar points system works, and I certainly didn't until I looked it up here. But this is going to be rather important over the next couple of races, so here it is, plain as tits:

Finishing Position / Points Awarded

01 / 50pts

02 / 40pts

03 / 35pts

04 / 32pts

05 / 30pts

06 / 28pts

07 / 26pts

08 / 24pts

09 / 22pts

10 / 20pts

11 / 19pts

12 / 18pts

13 / 17pts

14 / 16pts

15 / 15pts

16 / 14pts

17 / 13pts

18 / 12pts

19 / 11pts

20 / 10pts

21 / 09pts

22 / 08pts

23 / 07pts

24 / 06pts

25 / 05pts

26 / 05pts

27 / 05pts

28 / 05pts

29 / 05pts

30 / 05pts

31 / 05pts

32 / 05pts

33 / 05pts

Drivers receive 1pt for leading a lap.

Drivers receive 2pts for leading the most laps.

Drivers receive 1pt for qualifying on pole.

Drivers receive 1pt for being fastest in either two groups in qualifying for the second race of a doubleheader.

Bam! Got it? Write it on your arm. Qualifying points for Indianapolis and Iowa are different for some reason, but we don't have to worry about that until next year. And if so far all you're feeling is dread at the idea of this upcoming Houston doubleheader?

uv1f.png

Here is our track map!

oogn.png

So, what the hell happened last race? You remember, it was Baltimore! First corner chaos and misery to the X-treme. There were no fewer than 87 first-corner accidents, with IndyCar's invasion of Baltimore leaving the streets of Maryland's diamond in the rough looking somewhat like Warsaw circa 1939. If such a gruesome and tasteless reference offends you and you have relatives who died there, my apologies, but maybe you should take a leaf out of Poland's book and fight back next time. Between laps 41 and 65 there were never more than a couple green flag laps run before someone spun someone else in turn 1 and the track went yellow again. I missed one of the accidents because my stream of the race froze, and when I restarted I was taken out by Will Power.

Simon Pagenaud won the race, meaning his title hopes became less like a snowball's chance in hell and more like a Columbian's chance in a jet dryer. Josef Newgarden, who continues to make me turn to mush by posting pictures of himself with cats on his Twitter, finished second, a fine result of which absolutely nothing scathing could be said. Sebastien Bourdais managed to keep it pointed the right way after countless contacts throughout the race to come home 3rd. This all just goes to show something, but I'll be damned if I can think of what it is.

ggxk.jpg

In the mean time, it's been a busy week for Scott Dixon, who was fined $30,000 clams for his comments after Sonoma and Baltimore. Don't read the comments on that article. Seriously, just enjoy your day. Dixon was seen on live TV after Sonoma, hopping up and down in rage, calling for race director Beaux Barfield's head and showing all the subtlety you'd expect from a man who just ran over another team's pit crew. Dixon called the whole thing a "dick move", presumably offended that the Penske crewmen were selfishly changing Will Power's tires rather than diving for cover when Dixon left his pits. Undoubtedly, no one will make that mistake again. Dixon's bad luck continued at Baltimore where he was thwarted by Will Power once more, whose opinions on the contents of his mirrors during the restart were not complicated by actually looking into them. Dixon received a lot of support after Sonoma but sadly failed to take my own advice to heart when I suggested the next person he run over is whoever insists on having that God damn tire chicane at Baltimore. But hey, at least there's no silly chicanes at Houston.

So you've never watched IndyCar before and you don't know who to cheer for? No problem, because I am proud to present the first ever edition of the IndyCar yearbook! The book commemorates all the drivers who've helped fill the 2013 season with memories to vaguely remember years from now. The yearbook mirrors IndyCar's continuing expansion and innovation of technology: from the old Panoz, to the old Dallara, to the new Dallara, and one day to the new Dallara with fancy aero kits, the yearbook itself follows this fine tradition of modernization. From written in pencil on a napkin to written in sauce on a pizza box to spray painted on the turn 4 wall at Indy, this year it's proudly presented on 11 pages of paper in an actual book!

Features include:

• Full color photos of the drivers, beautifully stuck onto the paper with blue stick-tack (no tape here!)
  • A short biography of each driver
  • For the first time ever, presented with dignity and class in 3 different colors of Sharpie marker!
  • A graduating quote from the driver, patiently scribbled verbatim, word-for-word, from the driver's official Twitter account! Wow!

Hot dog! Get your copy of the 2013 IndyCar Yearbook here:

Oh boy!

So who has been winning stuff lately?

Formula_One_Standings_1998.PNG

Dem Standings

IZOD IndyCar Series

1 CASTRONEVES, Hélio (501pts)

2 DIXON, Scott (452pts)

3 PAGENAUD, Simon (431pts)

Firestone Indy Lights

1 KARAM, Sage (373pts)

2 MUNOZ, Carlos (371pts)

3 CHAVES, Gabby (369pts)

Pro Mazda Championship

1 BRABHAM, Matthew (401pts)

2 FERREIRA, Diego (321pts)
3 BLACKSTOCK, Shelby (263pts)

USF2000

1 HARGROVE, Scott (269pts)
2 ALBERICO, Neil (225pts)

3 GRIST, GARETT (195pts)

And now, all the usual features!

Uneccessary Danica Mentions:

v105.png

You wish you had..

...a chance to get adopted by Josef Newgarden.

Take a drink every time..

"..and remember, when the lights go out, that's when the drivers can take off".

Useless Indy Fact of the Day:

The last time Champ Car was at Houston, that day's Miss Grand Prix of Houston became Queen of all the Miss Grands Prix that year and was the 2007 Face of Champ Car. Almost impossibly, she's gotten better with age..

Do you remember..

..every single second the last time we raced at Houston? Fortunately you don't need to, because the Internet exists: 2007 Grand Prix of Houston (full race).

Anagram of the Day:

Sebastien Bourdais / Boundaries bite ass

This is all getting out of hand, isn't it?

Edited by Andrew Hope, 02 October 2013 - 18:24.

Advertisement

#2 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 21:29

lol'd at death zone

#3 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,268 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 22:17

You had me at diarrhea :rotfl: 

#4 prommer

prommer

• 4,957 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 22:22

Holy cow, lady!  Get off the front wing!  What, does she work for Foyt?

Amazing OP as always. :up: :up:

#5 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 692 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 22:46

haha amazing post OP

#6 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,960 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 22:46

I still love the 1998 F1 standings, but not sure if I love the yearbook more (yes, I dl'd it!)

#7 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 00:15

I still love the 1998 F1 standings, but not sure if I love the yearbook more (yes, I dl'd it!)

I would hope so, that thing took almost 14 minutes to make. And for the record, the quotes are really things they said on Twitter, just taken completely out of context (except for 3 or 4 guys who said literally nothing funny on Twitter).

Edited by Andrew Hope, 14 September 2013 - 01:26.

#8 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 00:45

Damn son! My boy hope here writing novellas. Gonna have to get a blanket, some cocoa sit down to read this. Great stuff!

Edited by SR388, 14 September 2013 - 00:46.

#9 rghojai

rghojai

• 2,010 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 00:47

That is epic. Are you smoking drugs or something?!?

#10 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:49

This. Is. Too. Good!

#11 greenman

greenman

• 1,565 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:02

Hope you're one of maybe 2% of the people on this board that's making it 80% worthwile.  :up:

BTW I have to ask, is that Viso quote real? 

#12 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:22

Thanks buddy. Nah I made that Viso quote up. I looked on Twitter for something interesting for all of them and most of them had something great, but Viso, Dixon, Luhr and Lazier I had to make up. The rest are actual quotes.

I like how Sato IV in the poll got out to an early 3-0 lead, but Sato III and Sato I have suddenly caught up to him.

#13 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,165 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:54

The yearbook has been read and laughter has been had.

#14 stewie

stewie

• 3,554 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:37

Excellent year book!! One should get it published in WHSmiths*!

* Or nearest US equivalent... 

#15 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:41

Anyone else think Power will crash out of the lead?

#16 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,339 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 14:51

The 'what misforture will befall Power and Dixon' sweepstakes will officially open on race day.

#17 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,400 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 14:59

Holy cow, lady!  Get off the front wing!  What, does she work for Foyt?

Nice balance though!

#18 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 15:00

I voted for Sato, it was the most logical choice of the 5 options...

#19 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,165 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 15:11

My god, three more weeks 'till the twin races. :(

Advertisement

#20 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 15:24

I like how Sato IV in the poll got out to an early 3-0 lead, but Sato III and Sato I have suddenly caught up to him.

Well I wanted to vote for the Sato that best represented my thoughts for the future. I sure hope Sato 1 doesn't win, I'll tell you that much.

#21 red stick

red stick

• 14,104 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 15:28

Going to this one.  Anyone else planning on coming?

And Sato Mk V is the clear choice; the earlier developments containing too many fundamental flaws.

#22 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 15:30

You people are clueless. Sato will be in the NASCAR Chase by then.

#23 red stick

red stick

• 14,104 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 15:39

I didn't realize he was a victim of Bowyer's spin.  The conspiracy deepens . . .

#24 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,606 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 15:44

Going to this one.  Anyone else planning on coming?

And Sato Mk V is the clear choice; the earlier developments containing too many fundamental flaws.

Yeah I'll probably be there. That course is awful but you can get pretty close to the action, so there's that.

LOL at the OP. I think that's by far the most I've ever seen written about an IndyCar race at one shot.

Edited by AustinF1, 14 September 2013 - 15:45.

#25 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 15:56

LOL at the OP. I think that's by far the most I've ever seen written about an IndyCar race at one shot.

I don't **** around!

#26 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 16:02

Best OP I've seen this year.  :up:  :up:

Sato, Sato, Sato, Sato or Sato? None, PAGENAUD!  :p

#27 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 18:40

Sato is NASCAR would be great because the cars can absorb so much punishment. He could wreck 10 times in every race if he really tried to.

#28 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 20:32

OH SHI-

Baltimore axed from 2014 schedule.

#29 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 21:19

That's the problem with street circuits, they're beholden to political volatility... and 50:50 in terms of track quality.

#30 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 21:50

Wasn't the fate of this race really a political issue in the city from the get-go? I recall hearing that even before the race's first go-around, that the mayor (or city council), or visa versa, had tried to cut and run. 

I think that with every year, the fact that the city did nothing to fix those damn train tracks showed the view of the event by the city. 

What is a bad thing is all this talk after last season and early this year of growth (a off-season Euro Winter Series), yet we have lost two of the biggest rounds on the schedule in Brazil and Baltimore, with nothing to show for it. No new events even remotely rumored to replace it.

#31 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 22:15

Wasn't the fate of this race really a political issue in the city from the get-go? I recall hearing that even before the race's first go-around, that the mayor (or city council), or visa versa, had tried to cut and run. 

I think that with every year, the fact that the city did nothing to fix those damn train tracks showed the view of the event by the city. 

What is a bad thing is all this talk after last season and early this year of growth (a off-season Euro Winter Series), yet we have lost two of the biggest rounds on the schedule in Brazil and Baltimore, with nothing to show for it. No new events even remotely rumored to replace it.

Pretty much. Well the Ravens got pissed because the Orioles had to move their game back because of the Gp, and the Orioles game ended up spilling over the Ravens game, and they were salty on not playing @ home.

Also I'm pretty sure every driver complained about the track and it was bad press etc for the Mayor. Who knows lol.

And who knows if St Pete will be there next year either (they're rebuilding the pier, and all of that area soon . . . )

#32 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 22:55

Not many would be sad to see less street circuits on the calendar.

#33 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 23:51

I voted for Sato!  Stick that in your crack pipe and smoke it!

Great OP, Monsieur Hope.

Neil

#34 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 00:06

Baltimore was one of the more entertaining races of the season(s). It may have been for bad reasons, but they weren't boring events.

#35 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:54

Baltimore was one of the more entertaining races of the season(s). It may have been for bad reasons, but they weren't boring events.

But Ross it was more than half yellow :(

#36 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:26

I tip my hat to this OP. 

#37 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,204 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:48

Hope, you have got to do an opening post for an F1 thread at some point this year just so you can show those guys how to lighten up and have fun. :lol:

Awesome as always. :up:

#38 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:46

Last time one of us made an F1 joke we got banned T_T

#39 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,165 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:57

Haha, seriously?

Advertisement

#40 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 18:43

You would be unwise to say anything critical of Formulol One on here. It rarely ends well. As much as I'd like to make an F1 thread you tend to get a lot of people with English as a second or a third language on here, and my threads tend to make it look like I hate IndyCar, when really I love it to death and it just almost always lets me down.

#41 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 19:09

You would be unwise to say anything critical of Formulol One on here. It rarely ends well. As much as I'd like to make an F1 thread you tend to get a lot of people with English as a second or a third language on here, and my threads tend to make it look like I hate IndyCar, when really I love it to death and it just almost always lets me down.

Hell, my "Scott Dixon Memorial/Mid-Ohio" title failed worse than Dario's NASCAR foray and that was mostly read by English as a 1st language members. 

As to the second point, isn't being a sadomasochist part of being an IndyCar fan? We love it the series, but we deep down we love the thrill of the endless positivity we get when it crashes and burns around us. 

#42 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,205 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 19:17

Yeah, part of the fun of being an IndyCar fan is being how much you can take the mickey out of it. Half the fun of watching the race with my family is laughing at things like the abundance of advertising (which comes as a shock to us Brits!), the frequent yellow flags and the number of times the commentators feel obliged to tell you that Kimball is diabetic. Would I change it, though? Not at all.

Edited by Muppetmad, 15 September 2013 - 19:18.

#43 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,163 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 19:31

Original Post

I enjoyed that :up: :drunk:

#44 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 19:44

Yeah, part of the fun of being an IndyCar fan is being how much you can take the mickey out of it. Half the fun of watching the race with my family is laughing at things like the abundance of advertising (which comes as a shock to us Brits!), the frequent yellow flags and the number of times the commentators feel obliged to tell you that Kimball is diabetic. Would I change it, though? Not at all.

Well said. IndyCar does the very important job of giving us a racing series that is reasonably exciting on a regular basis, but not really requiring as much emotional investment as F1 does. We all have drivers we want to win, but it's not going to ruin our week if they don't, because so much amusing **** happened besides who won the race.

Often, probably because I've done way too many drugs in 22 shorts years of life, I like to think of IndyCar like a girl you knew in school. When she was just an anonymous cute face standing by the lockers, she seemed extravagant. All your dreams in one. Then you finally scrounged some courage and talked to her, and found out she's a little less than elegant perfection. Sometimes she seems like pure class, and sometimes she trips and falls on her face. Sometimes she shows up on time and makes your day, and sometimes she doesn't show up at all and you have to roll up your sleeves and make your own fun. Your guts still turn to mush around her sometimes, but more often, you're just amused to listen to her talk, or else simply bored. But she's always sincere, and that's all that matters in the end. I feel like IndyCar is the same way. During the off-season I forget all the ludicrous interpretations of the rule book, all the endless yellows. All the moments of cringeworthy episodes of professional race car drivers having to make goofy hand gestures at fat guys in orange suits to get them to restart their car for the third time that day. Instead I remember Sato divebombing Franchitti on the last lap of Indy, Hinchcliffe taking the win at the last corner in Brazil, Charlie Kimball leaving Mid Ohio an IndyCar winner for the rest of his life, Sato winning at Long Beach. Now she's at the lockers again and looking perfect, and next season begins before you know it.

Like NASCAR you just have to take it for what it is. And try not to kill people who can't shut up about how everything was better in the 90s.

#45 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,165 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 19:56

Damn waste of potential. F1 really needs a brutal shot of the wittiness bad around these here parts. I swear someday political correctness will be the death of us.

#46 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,730 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 20:19

Marvellous stuff Hope. Am now back in front of a computer after a three week or so hiatus. Indycar doesn't seem to have changed much.

Anyone figure we're going to get a clean race/Death Race 2000 binary in Houston? Do you think they agree which will be which at the drivers' meeting?

I'm not sure what my favourite Houston Moment is but I think it's Montoya nearly throwing away the 1999 championship by crashing into Castroneves's stationary car under yellow. Castroneves retired from the race and Juan Pablo still won the title, BUT WHO'S LAUGHING NOW

#47 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,165 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 20:19

Hope, that's the kind of gal I had as a first girlfriend. A kind of Heather Graham in a vintage country summer pimples girl way, joy and sunshine flowed from her through fields of classy kindness and over hills of the warm fuzzies. Life was good man, the girl yours, a dear little semi-idyllic corner of the world. Moments of fist pumping awesomeness ensued and then... the yellows, the rulings, the steering wheel of death to the wrist, the Sonoma pitlanes, the SatoKinderSurpriseToTheDefendingChampInThePitEntrys, the un-winnings of Mr.Power, the diabetes, the Torontos & the Baltimores, Bourdais's half-o-trophie and of course, the Visos. But the flaws made her unique. That is the '13 season. And it will always have a special place in my filthy race loving heart.

#48 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,730 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 20:38

Haha, I totally forgot when Sato drove into Hunter-Reay at Pocono. That was a-mazing.

#49 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 20:40

Hope, that's the kind of gal I had as a first girlfriend. A kind of Heather Graham in a vintage country summer pimples girl way, joy and sunshine flowed from her through fields of classy kindness and over hills of the warm fuzzies. Life was good man, the girl yours, a dear little semi-idyllic corner of the world. Moments of fist pumping awesomeness ensued and then... the yellows, the rulings, the steering wheel of death to the wrist, the Sonoma pitlanes, the SatoKinderSurpriseToTheDefendingChampInThePitEntrys, the un-winnings of Mr.Power, the diabetes, the Torontos & the Baltimores, Bourdais's half-o-trophie and of course, the Visos. But the flaws made her unique. That is the '13 season. And it will always have a special place in my filthy race loving heart.

I am now patiently awaiting the OvDrone Book of Racing Poetry. It's gonna be great. Just don't use any goofy poem words like "thou".

#50 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 20:41

Bah!  If Indycar is a girl, she's the one down the bike sheds doin' it for the entire football team, and a few teachers as well.  I say this as one not invited to partake...

Neil