Photo
* * * * - 8 votes

IndyCar Grand Prix of Houston

• Please log in to reply
657 replies to this topic

Poll: Why not.. (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Sato?

1. Sato (14 votes [25.93%])

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

2. Sato (9 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. Sato (8 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

4. Sato (16 votes [29.63%])

Percentage of vote: 29.63%

5. Sato (7 votes [12.96%])

Percentage of vote: 12.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 rghojai

rghojai

• 366 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 17:37

Muppetmad got into Cambridge?!? Huge congratulations and much respect. Bloody hell; there's a smart person among us.

Advertisement

#102 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,045 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 17:50

Muppetmad got into Cambridge?!? Huge congratulations and much respect. Bloody hell; there's a smart person among us.

Yeah I looked up Cambridge when he was posting about that. The name ringed a bell in my common pleb brain. He's a real smart cookie, apparently. Maybe he can do the thread for Fontana.

#103 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 2,455 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 18:46

Haha, thank you :lol: Believe me, I never feel that smart on this forum - I never win any arguments and I always end up saying the most stupid things! :p

Yeah I looked up Cambridge when he was posting about that. The name ringed a bell in my common pleb brain. He's a real smart cookie, apparently. Maybe he can do the thread for Fontana.

If nobody else would like to make the thread I'd certainly be up for it, although I can guarantee it won't be as good as your threads are!

Meanwhile, I was bemused to learn that Dragon are entering Formula E - if they don't have the money to give Bourdais a half-decent car for more than two weekends a year, where will they find the money for another series?

Edited by Muppetmad, 25 September 2013 - 18:47.

#104 paulb

paulb

• 2,537 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 20:05

Speaking of Fontana (aka Fontucky), local radio is advertising "the best drivers in Indycar".  Brilliant!

#105 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,045 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 20:33

That is brilliant.

By the way, does "Fontana" sound like an exotic girl's name to anyone else? I've wondered about this when thinking about races there for, oh.. 8 or 9 years now. It sounds less like that than Sonoma, but more than Lime Rock.

#106 rghojai

rghojai

• 366 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 20:44

Muppetmad: Apparently you're smart enough to save your brain cells for things more worthwhile than this neck of the woods.

#107 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 1,935 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 20:48

Congrats Muppetmad! Go, work hard, party hard and ex-pe-ri-ment or my main dudes Dionysus and Slaanesh will get miffed.

That is brilliant.

By the way, does "Fontana" sound like an exotic girl's name to anyone else? I've wondered about this when thinking about races there for, oh.. 8 or 9 years now. It sounds less like that than Sonoma, but more than Lime Rock.

Hah, Imola was my home girl, but damn, Suzuka... now, she, she was tough to tame.

#108 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,045 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 21:39

Congrats Muppetmad! Go, work hard, party hard and ex-pe-ri-ment or my main dudes Dionysus and Slaanesh will get miffed.

Hah, Imola was my home girl, but damn, Suzuka... now, she, she was tough to tame.

You could definitely get away with naming an Asian girl Suzuka. Adria might work as a name as well. I know we're really scraping the bottom of the barrel on things to talk about here, but I do genuinely find this more interesting than anything going in with IndyCar right now.

Adelaide of course is a genuine name for girls already.

This new notification thing at the top right of the forum is whack. I had 26 notifications when I signed in this morning and I couldn't think what on Earth I'd said the day before. Mainly just people moaning about my posts in the Webber/Alonslow thread. It does feel strangely nice to have those little notifications though. I'd like to think it would make you talk less nonsense all the time but in my case clearly not.

#109 Risil

Risil

• 13,897 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 22:14

Buttonwillow. Goiania. Varano.

Muppetmad: Enjoy yourself, make friends with your tutors and join the university motorsports club. And congrats!

#110 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 23:05

I knew a girl who was a bit of a Circuit of the Americas, if you know what I mean.

26 notifications? Bah. I like the fact the new forum displays "4 warning points" under my avatar. 

Maybe they could program it to flash bright colors when I allude to vaginas. 

#111 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,045 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 00:11

I knew a girl who was a bit of a Circuit of the Americas, if you know what I mean.

26 notifications? Bah. I like the fact the new forum displays "4 warning points" under my avatar. 

4 warning points? I only got 3. This is a real pussy of a situation to be in.

#112 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:17

I wonder who has the most. I also wonder if talking about warning points gives you more warning points.

#113 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,045 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:34

I wonder who has the most. I also wonder if talking about warning points gives you more warning points.

It probably vagina does. But then pussy again I don't know if just saying bad words makes any balls difference at all.

Testicles.

#114 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 2,455 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:16

This poll has been very exciting! Sato is tying with Sato, with Sato only one vote behind - who will win at this rate? Why not Sato? He certainly has a chance.

This break is brutal - who thought that a break of over a month at this point of the season would be a good idea?

#115 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,045 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 17:10

This poll has been very exciting! Sato is tying with Sato, with Sato only one vote behind - who will win at this rate? Why not Sato? He certainly has a chance.

This break is brutal - who thought that a break of over a month at this point of the season would be a good idea?

It's ridiculous. This is the third weekend in a row I've been thinking IndyCar is back only to remember it's not until October. I think I read something about a possible race in Italy that fell through or some jazz. It's such an IndyCar thing to do to leave a gap of 4 or 5 weeks in their schedule for a race that had a 1/100 chance of happening, and not having a back-up plan for it.

#116 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,946 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 17:50

It's more that business terms can't be agreed with promoters\venues. Road America being one example (although the track owner is strongly hinting at a 2014 tyre test and says he has a title sponsor for 2015).

I can understand the gap is boring if you only pay attention to race weekends, but there's plenty of "behind-the-scenes" developments. Nothing concrete yet but the potential 2014 rookie battle looks promising, and of course JPM could shake things up at the front. Conway getting all of the road\street courses if he leaves WEC. Texas now matches the 2001 cancelled race length that CART had planned to run. Indy Lights will look like a proper championship again (with lower costs) and have Matt Brabham in it. Honda's either been sandbagging at the Fontana test or their new twin turbo isn't as good as Chevy.

Andrew: start the Indycar thread in the same week as the race, some of us don't want these to turn into forum GD fodder :p

#117 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,045 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 17:56

It's more that business terms can't be agreed with promoters\venues. Road America being one example (although the track owner is strongly hinting at a 2014 tyre test and says he has a title sponsor for 2015).

I can understand the gap is boring if you only pay attention to race weekends, but there's plenty of "behind-the-scenes" developments. Nothing concrete yet but the potential 2014 rookie battle looks promising, and of course JPM could shake things up at the front. Conway getting all of the road\street courses if he leaves WEC. Texas now matches the 2001 cancelled race length that CART had planned to run. Indy Lights will look like a proper championship again (with lower costs) and have Matt Brabham in it. Honda's either been sandbagging at the Fontana test or their new twin turbo isn't as good as Chevy.

Andrew: start the Indycar thread in the same week as the race, some of us don't want these to turn into forum GD fodder :p

Yeah, next time I make the thread (next season I guess) I'll make it the week of the race. I just made it early this time because I was fixing typos in the Baltimore thread and OLB made his thread to let us all know he had tickets but wasn't going.

#118 Option1

Option1

• 13,213 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 19:13

Bah, this is a great thread!  Where else could we get Sato on Sato action?  A Sato foursome no less (there's always one who "only wants to watch...").  And he hasn't even crashed into himself yet!

Neil

Edited by Option1, 26 September 2013 - 19:14.

#119 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,946 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 21:34

Speaking of which, I looked up Foyt's sponsor... http://en.wikipedia....wiki/ABC_Supply

ABC Supply Company Incorporated is an major American roofing supply company based in Beloit, Wisconsin, USA. It ranked 82 in Forbes list of largest private companies. It also sells windows, gutters, and siding for residential and commercial. Annual sales topped $4.5 billion in 2012

I wonder if he's going to re-sign Sato, given the lack of results recently..

Advertisement

#120 racinggeek

racinggeek

• 218 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 23:07

For those looking for IndyCar news during this break, here ya go -- not a surprise, but now it's officially official: http://www.indycar.c...oad-course-race

#121 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing

• 5,470 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 20:03

Find me at grandstand 1

#122 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:45

4 warning points? I only got 3. This is a real pussy of a situation to be in.

I suspect you got your warning points for being on topic on an Indycar thread.  :p

#123 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,045 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 17:24

6 days and 23 hours to go.. is that on topic?

#124 Risil

Risil

• 13,897 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 17:31

Here's a real Miller-Vasser-Fryer bitch-off to keep everyone entertained. From RACER.com, which is what we're all supposed to read now SpeedTV's shut up shop.

Apparently they had a more grown up version of the shit that happens when the wrong person starts an Indycar thread.

Edited by Risil, 29 September 2013 - 17:32.

#125 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,045 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 17:41

Here's a real Miller-Vasser-Fryer bitch-off to keep everyone entertained. From RACER.com, which is what we're all supposed to read now SpeedTV's shut up shop.

Apparently they had a more grown up version of the shit that happens when the wrong person starts an Indycar thread.

Strange story. Understandable that Miller would be pissed about this, and it doesn't really sound like the stereotypical "old man that's been in the business forever pissed at the young person" story.

I don't know why Ganassi wants Kanaan anyway. Hinchcliffe would be the smarter choice. Or Briscoe Inferno.

#126 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 2,455 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 18:07

I don't know why Ganassi wants Kanaan anyway. Hinchcliffe would be the smarter choice. Or Briscoe Inferno.

Hmmm. I've never been convinced about Briscoe - I don't think he'd be any better a choice than Kanaan. At Penske he only ever competed for the title once and blew it in spectacular fashion. Otherwise, he's only ever been solid, not spectacular - the sort of driver you'd have in a midfield team like he's in currently, not in a top car, I'd say.

I agree about Hinchcliffe though, and I think he'd fit quite nicely into TCGR.

#127 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,260 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 19:07

I have no sympathy for Miller in this case because the Kanaan-Gibbs thing was BS from day one and he either knowingly or ignorantly played along with it. 

#128 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,045 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 19:12

Hmmm. I've never been convinced about Briscoe - I don't think he'd be any better a choice than Kanaan. At Penske he only ever competed for the title once and blew it in spectacular fashion. Otherwise, he's only ever been solid, not spectacular - the sort of driver you'd have in a midfield team like he's in currently, not in a top car, I'd say.

I agree about Hinchcliffe though, and I think he'd fit quite nicely into TCGR.

Yeah, I agree that Kanaan is probably better than Briscoe right now. But Kanaan is 10 years older. This deal looks to me like Ganassi trying to get a team together they wanted 6 or 7 years ago, and I don't see Kanaan lasting more than 2 or 3 seasons, where as if Briscoe is someone Ganassi wanted, they'd be able to keep him for a decade if the wanted to.

#129 Risil

Risil

• 13,897 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 19:14

This deal looks to me like Ganassi trying to get a team together they wanted 6 or 7 years ago

Heh, I think you're on the mark here. Kimball's doing well but I don't see him morphing into a Hinchcliffe or Hunter-Reay.

#130 SR388

SR388

• 3,826 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 19:15

Is the race this week? Is it just a figment of my imagination? Has the season actually ended? Did Taku win it all?

The world may never know.  

#131 Risil

Risil

• 13,897 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 19:44

Everyone in US open-wheel racing died in 1995 after Uncle Bobby accidentally served some e.coli-laced chilli at the awards banquet. What we think is Indycar is actually a form of Purgatory that somehow we're all in on.

Edited by Risil, 29 September 2013 - 19:44.

#132 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,045 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 20:05

Of course, IndyCar purgatory is different from the regular kind, since even though you're still just floating around in blinding white light unable to touch anything, somehow there's still a first corner pile-up every weekend.

#133 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,946 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 22:09

Hmm, Dixon has the best stats at the doubleheader events: http://www.indycar.c...n-doubleheaders

#134 Risil

Risil

• 13,897 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 22:16

All well and good, but what the championship really needs is a double Castroneves retirement and a double win from Pag... Oh, who am I kidding.

We need a Dixie double.

Edited by Risil, 29 September 2013 - 22:17.

#135 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 1,935 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 22:24

Indycar purgatory is what Dixon is experiencing right now with the added gravitas of having to perform the Will Power double NH flip off over and over again to the Indycar powers-at-be for all eternity like an unholy torturous gif with sitcom laughs in the background.

#136 Risil

Risil

• 13,897 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 22:35

:up: :lol:

#137 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,045 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 21:20

Still waiting on dat spotter guide, but the other biz has been updated in the OP. Not that there's anything interesting on the entry list, Conway in the second Dale Coyne car and that's about it. Don't go to IndyCar.com today, there is honestly nothing there to read that's more fun than just staring at the wall and imagining an IndyCar there, except a decent picture of Scott Dixon.

sbwz.jpg

#138 Risil

Risil

• 13,897 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 21:43

Superspeedway spec bodywork looks pretty good. Even the outsize sidepods are growing on me, in a "There is no room for Coanda exhausts, Sebastian Vettel cannot possibly win" kind of way.

Edited by Risil, 30 September 2013 - 21:45.

#139 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,263 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 23:19

4 warning points????
meh...

How many ya think that "Kill Your Children 500" thread got me?

Anyhoo....
My dear long suffering wife is joining me in NYC this weekend and will demand I dance attendance upon her .... That being the case, I'll be missing both of these races.

Jp

Advertisement

#140 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,045 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 23:52

4 warning points????
meh...

How many ya think that "Kill Your Children 500" thread got me?

Anyhoo....
My dear long suffering wife is joining me in NYC this weekend and will demand I dance attendance upon her .... That being the case, I'll be missing both of these races.

Jp

If it makes you feel any better, any time I make a race thread I seriously consider trying to top the NRA Kill Your Children 500 for entertainment value, and IndyCar Iowa Cornholio 250 is as close as I've got.

#141 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,946 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 00:15

Still waiting on dat spotter guide, but the other biz has been updated in the OP. Not that there's anything interesting on the entry list, Conway in the second Dale Coyne car and that's about it. Don't go to IndyCar.com today, there is honestly nothing there to read that's more fun than just staring at the wall and imagining an IndyCar there, except a decent picture of Scott Dixon.

Ah, but you posted that pic of Pocono because it's been confirmed for 2014 :p 

#142 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,045 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:03

Ah, but you posted that pic of Pocono because it's been confirmed for 2014 :p

Indeed. That "What Turn 4" joke is a lot funnier on lap 1 than it is on lap 200.

Apparently Montoya is getting into mega shape for the IndyCar return. He's like me once I get started with muh kettle bell routine this week. Man, I'm gonna miss my gut.

#143 Peat

Peat

• 1,248 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:49

Finally, some IndyCar. A double penetration of my Saturday AND Sunday too!

Sky+ is set, time to make myself pretty for the weekend!

#144 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,045 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 16:14

I don't know what the hell is going on in that post, but I wish I could like it more than once.

#145 paulb

paulb

• 2,537 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 17:27

If IndyCar only knew how brilliant you all are for creating entertainment, ex nihilo.

25xizp8q.gif

#146 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,263 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 18:53

Oh they do...
It's just that they have no idea what to do with it....

Sound familiar?

Jp

#147 Red17

Red17

• 3,386 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 19:53

I just got a listing that shows Indycar overlaping with Nascar on both days, is this correct?

#148 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,045 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 20:04

I just got a listing that shows Indycar overlaping with Nascar on both days, is this correct?

I don't even have to check - of course it does. Idiots.

#149 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,263 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:11

BViva-hCMAAccQB.jpg

Jp

#150 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,260 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:40

Dario probably has that much in the ashtray of his car.