• Please log in to reply
242 replies to this topic

#1 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 15:45

Massa does not want to play the adjutant

(rough google translate)

Felipe Massa , whose contract was not renewed by the Scuderia , has announced that he will run in the remaining races self advertising and no longer wants to play Alonso's aides .

"No, I will not do it . Now I attack ,"

the 32- year-old said in an interview with Brazilian TV station ' O Globo ' .

At Ferrari he witnessed also the bitterest moment of his career, when he received the order 2010 Germany Grand Prix, to let Alonso pass. His race engineer Rob Smedley radioed to him - and a few turns later Massa let his teammates pass .

"That day was very painfull , and it hurt long," Massa looked back with nostalgia .

Edited by eronrules, 16 September 2013 - 16:13.

Advertisement

#2 MinT

MinT

• 2,280 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 15:49

Well done phillip - only 7 years too late..

#3 f1motogp

f1motogp

• 35 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 15:50

Let's hope he does so and Ferrari let him race the remaining races but i doubt it. Anyway Alonso still has Webber to assist him.

#4 OO7

OO7

• 23,407 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 15:54

This is interesting considering Fernando almost always qualifies ahead and pulls away during the races, also if Ferrari decide to break the seal on his gearbox there is little he can do about that.

#5 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 15:58

Massa will attack, hm. I bet the whole grid is shaking in fear.

#6 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 16:01

Rubens all over again :p

#7 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 16:01

I always cringe when I see drivers making these kind of remarks as they are simply creating rods for their own backs. Massa is now creating an expectation that he will be significantly closer to Alonso in the remaiing races, that he was being held back for team purposes. What is he finds he isn't any closer? Fat lot of good that will do his future prospects.

#8 nosecone

nosecone

• 1,938 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 16:03

Well, maybe a contender for the "most surprising F1 news"

But i wish really he's doing great now. Maybe he wins a race(... would be a troublefull race for others)

Edited by nosecone, 16 September 2013 - 16:05.

#9 sportingcp

sportingcp

• 246 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 16:03

Well it´s a little to late now. This is why I don´t like this guy, first every time he opens his mouth it´s BS. First he says in his announcement leaving Ferrari he still wants to get a top seat and be a WDC, I mean c´mon who is he trying to convince? And now this, he´s again playing that role of the victim, poor little boy, it´s curious he was for 8 years in a Ferrari seat and didn´t complain (of course it feels good to receive an huge salary) and now that he knows we won´t continue (finally!) he is saying that he is gonna attack, yes now it´s the time.. I respect what he went through after his accident, but this kind of behaviour always making excuses and playing the victim role, it´s something I never liked about this guy.

#10 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 16:05

Massa has no beef with Alonso or the Ferrari team. He knows he did not do a good enough job for the last 4 seasons and that is why he is out. Simple as that. Maybe his ego was too fragile that he couldn't play the supporting role to Alonso and his confidence and ability waned as a result. I know I would be similar as would many other drivers. 

However, now the pressure is off, he will see out his contract but I also think he'll push Fernando harder than before because he is effectively also auditioning to the other teams as well as also saying 'look, I'm not a B-level driver, I'm not shot-to-sh*t either and I can get the job done".

I think he'll be at another team next year, probably Sauber, which is why I also think he'll do the best job for Ferrari as they could give him a boost (and Sauber a discount on the engines) towards that seat.

#11 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 16:08

A little late for that now, but good for him anyway.

#12 Kyo

Kyo

• 1,313 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 16:09

He only said that if comes up a situation where they are close in the race track he will fight for the position and not only give it away like he did before. I don't really see what is the big deal.

#13 DeLoreanFan

DeLoreanFan

• 69 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 16:10

Ferrari has its hands full with its drivers right now. It doesn't need this kind of talk ATM . Don't be surprised to see de La Rosa at Friday practices from now on.

#14 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 16:17

Funny if he now wins every race.

:rolleyes:

#15 OO7

OO7

• 23,407 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 16:24

If he did, he will need his legal team to have an investigation launched into Ferrari having him drugged with control chemicals for most of his Ferrari career.

#16 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 16:24

He only said that if comes up a situation where they are close in the race track he will fight for the position and not only give it away like he did before. I don't really see what is the big deal.

It seems like an awkward attempt at some tough talk, but I expect Massa will still help Alonso whenever he can, which judging by past years, won't be very often.

Massa still has a contract for this year which no doubt talks about such situations. It's the same as before his replacement was announced. That he is leaving doesn't change that.

Edited by Nonesuch, 16 September 2013 - 16:26.

#17 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,278 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 16:26

he's got nothing to lose. If next weekend Fernando is way faster (again) then what? his chances of a good (ish) drive are not that big anyway

however if he out-drives Fernando then his stock goes up

it's worth a shot

#18 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 16:43

What was Massa waiting for?

#19 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 16:45

What was Massa waiting for?

Isn't it obvious? Play second fiddle or get booted from the team. Now he's gone next year anyway and has nothing to lose.

How sweet would it be if Massa wins a race now? Even if he lucks into it. Would love to see it.

Advertisement

#20 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 16:47

even though it might come to naught, considering both Rob Smedley and Massa are leaving the team, they would want to leave on a high. yes massa still has a lot of Loyalty towards the team, but towards alonso ??? who knows.

#21 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 16:48

He can attack all he likes.  Even if he has the ability to beat Alonso (and certainly he occasionally can) if the team wants Alonso to beat him then they will find a way for Alonso to beat him.

#22 vista

vista

• 1,352 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 16:50

This only applies in a direct duel with Alonso in the race; he will fight the position. There is no reason to believe his race pace will be faster relative to Alonso.  

#23 Timantti

Timantti

• 971 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 17:04

Good for Massa. Unfortunately for him, he rarely outqualifies Alonso and has, I think, never been faster than him in the race.

#24 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 17:08

I would probably check my pulse if that happens. 

#25 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,528 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 17:10

Looking forward. It is time to bang the door loud Felipe-baby!

#26 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 17:10

:( It looks like my Kraken receive 'team orders'.  ;)

#27 Radion

Radion

• 2,524 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 17:11

Massa for the win in brazil this year! :up:

#28 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 17:11

Interesting, so now he will 'attack'.. yet find himself in the same position. It's not like he was never allowed to go quicker than he actually did, so why would that change now? Ok sure, Ferrari used him at some moments, but IMO those were justified and much needed actions under the same philosophy as the tactics Ferrari applied in 2007/2008 to optimize their WDC chances.

#29 Konsta

Konsta

• 2,876 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 17:16

Interesting, so now he will 'attack'.. yet find himself in the same position. It's not like he was never allowed to go quicker than he actually did, so why would that change now? Ok sure, Ferrari used him at some moments, but IMO those were justified and much needed actions under the same philosophy as the tactics Ferrari applied in 2007/2008 to optimize their WDC chances.

:-)

Yes, wait and see. He might end up 7th or if he blasts full out maybe even 6th on occasions. Felipe had his days - now he is just talk without much substance.

#30 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 17:16

Them's fighting words. I like Felipe, but really how often has he been faster than Alonso in the past few years and bona fida held back by Ferrari in the past few years? I can probably count the times on my thumbs. Overall I have been impressed with how he has held himself in trying circumstances, but I don't think he is in the same class as Nando to really cause him problems.

Good luck to Felipe, I really would like to see him win another race for Ferrari and will be cheering him on in Brazil especially, but I think he is setting himself up for a fall with this.

#31 ChrisAttebery

ChrisAttebery

• 28 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 17:24

It would be great to see FM beat ALO at the last race of the season and cost him a position in the WDC.  :rotfl:

#32 zottzell

zottzell

• 133 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 17:36

If he really intends to follow up on that statement then I Think he could be a sore thorn in Alonso's side in the races to come seeing that the only one Massa really put up some fight againt on the track is other Ferrari drivers.
The rest of the field have Little or nothing to worry about since he seem to yield in Most other fights.

#33 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,492 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 17:42

It would be great to see FM beat ALO at the last race of the season and cost him a position in the WDC.  :rotfl:

I'd love to see Felipe get a win before the end of the season (ideally Brazil), but Alonso is not the real reason for Felipe's problems. The real question is whether Alonso will fight him hard for positions at his home GP if the WDC is not at stake. I doubt Alonso cares about any position in the WDC except first.

#34 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 17:43

This reminds me the thoughts that after Malaysia 2013 team order farce Webber would not hold himself back and would attack Vettel hard on any opportunity. So far yet to beat Vettel in a race, usually finishing some way behind. 

#35 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 18:11

Good riddance, you ungrateful little round-faced goober. 

#36 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 18:12

He can attack all he likes.  Even if he has the ability to beat Alonso (and certainly he occasionally can) if the team wants Alonso to beat him then they will find a way for Alonso to beat him.

I hope Ferrari does just that, too.  If he's coming out and saying he wont help the team, then I hope the team gives him slow pitstops and bad strategies in order to show him who works for who.

He's extremely lucky for Ferrari to have held onto him as long as they have, holding faith in him year after year.  And now he's gonna say this?  PFffttt. 

Edited by Seanspeed, 16 September 2013 - 18:13.

#37 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 18:17

What the hell kind of nonsense is that? Coming out and saying he won't help the team? All he's come out and said, 6 years too late, is that he's going to try and win races.

#38 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,959 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 18:17

Good to hear. He needs to, if he wants to impress and have a shot of staying in F1 next year.

#39 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 18:18

I'd love to see Felipe get a win before the end of the season (ideally Brazil), but Alonso is not the real reason for Felipe's problems. The real question is whether Alonso will fight him hard for positions at his home GP if the WDC is not at stake. I doubt Alonso cares about any position in the WDC except first.

Felipe came within about 5 seconds of taking Button for the lead last year in Brazil. I did wonder at the time how they would have played that had he managed to get to the lead.

Advertisement

#40 Massa

Massa

• 10,112 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 18:19

I hope Ferrari does just that, too.  If he's coming out and saying he wont help the team, then I hope the team gives him slow pitstops and bad strategies in order to show him who works for who.

He's extremely lucky for Ferrari to have held onto him as long as they have, holding faith in him year after year.  And now he's gonna say this?  PFffttt. 

http://www.nextgen-a...onso,66492.html

In this article, it's says Ferrari will not ask him to help Alonso. It's not Massa who decide himself.

#41 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 18:22

If Massa finished all races Alonso won right behind in second place he would have a fair point. But Massa has finished way behind in races Alonso did well. Sorry but it does not help your case of the team "holding you back" when you are not even close to begin with.

#42 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 18:28

:up: Exactly. I understand that he might be disappointed that he is effectively being fired, but these kinds of comments come across as very petty.

#43 JimiKart

JimiKart

• 457 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 18:32

Thank God for Massa, after all these years he's finally going to take points of Vettel, it's about time.

#44 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,804 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 18:50

A man has to stick to being  professional until the last day. He needs to do what is contract has written. If there's nothing about being second driver and helping the team mate, then attack and prove his worth. But don't say a word in public about it. He's giving warnings to Alonso and Ferrari. Which is stupid because it ruins the surprise effect.  

#45 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,254 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 18:57

He is playing the victim card.  Attack anyway, but don't talk about it. 

#46 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,492 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 18:58

:up: Exactly. I understand that he might be disappointed that he is effectively being fired, but these kinds of comments come across as very petty.

He had a lot of seasons at Ferrari and, before that, being groomed in Sauber for Ferrari. No-one has a Ferrari seat by right, and it always has to come to an end sometime.  I don't know that you can look at it as being fired. Ferrari wanted to make a change after eight years. Either Felipe has done enough to be attractive to other teams, in which case he will have opportunities (like Barrichello or Irvine), or he hasn't.  

#47 XAXIXAX

XAXIXAX

• 513 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 19:27

no big news here. the ONLY one he fought hard last 4 years was Alonso.
I'd love him to say I'll be fighting Vettel seriously from now to the end of my Ferrari stint.

#48 XAXIXAX

XAXIXAX

• 513 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 19:32

Thank God for Massa, after all these years he's finally going to take points of Vettel, it's about time.

This. How much has this guy helped his team lately?

#49 Puhoon

Puhoon

• 241 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 19:38

I really doubt that he's gonna grow a pair in 7 races.

#50 Schuttelberg

Schuttelberg

• 326 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 19:48

Repulsive & pathetic, if i were to be mild. I think I'd like to remember the driver on the podium and at the press conference at Brazil in 2008. This isn't the Felipe Massa I want to know or remember. Ferrari have used him in the past few seasons, but he's allowed them to undermine him and he's got one person to blame for all that's happened to him in the past three or four seasons and that's himself. A lot of people around the world have this No.1 and No.2 driver theory which I've never understood. No team intentionally wants a particular driver to succeed if he's slower than his team mate. They rely on team orders when one consistently beats the other. Alonso has well and truly walloped Massa. This is Massa's way of venting his frustration out. Reminds me of another Brazilian driver who drove for Ferrari. If i were the Lotus boss, this would not impress me.