- - - - -

Free practice emptyness

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:28

The first half hour of FP1 nothing happens on track except for installation laps. The FIA and its broadcasters adapt their footage to suit this, instead of thinking of how to improve the situation. The fans just seem used to it as well by now. Spectators can't really voice their opinion anyway. I mean teams wouldn't mind testing more and there's talk of bringing testing days back, so why don't they just use the time they get during racing weekends? What's holding the teams back? Tyre limitations, dirty asphalt? I can't think of any reason that wouldn't be solvable somehow and improve the show.

Advertisement

#2 Shambolic

Shambolic

• 1,305 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:40

The first half hour of FP1 nothing happens on track except for installation laps. The FIA and its broadcasters adapt their footage to suit this, instead of thinking of how to improve the situation. The fans just seem used to it as well by now. Spectators can't really voice their opinion anyway. I mean teams wouldn't mind testing more and there's talk of bringing testing days back, so why don't they just use the time they get during racing weekends? What's holding the teams back? Tyre limitations, dirty asphalt? I can't think of any reason that wouldn't be solvable somehow and improve the show.

Tyre quotas, engine quotas, long life gearboxes, general apathy...

And it'll only get worse when the engines and boxes have to last even longer.

I'd like to see points awarded for re-use of major components, as opposed to grid slots lost for replacing them. Some teams might run more, some teams might play the longevity game for points, but either way we might actually get some proper running in practice sessions.

If teams were given a set of each compound, a free change of gearbox, and use of a Friday only engine without penalty, they might do some more running. But then they'd complain the extra gearboxes, engines, brakes, fuel, cost them more money...

(At least they run the practice sessions. I still miss Sunday warm up)

#3 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 583 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:41

Reliability constraints.

Yes, they will love to test, but no, they will not love to test and harm their races because, while doing so, their limited gearbox+engine allowance get used while doing testing. 

You want the teams out on the track? 

Allow them to use different components (engine, gearbox, etc) for Fridays, not counted towards their qualy/race

Allow them to take extra cars (like the T-Car of old) for testing on Friday, so they will not have to rush and work as crazy monkies fitting racing components in on time.

The drawback? the costs would skyrocket.

#4 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:41

I think a set of tyres that can only be used in the opening half hour would easily and immediately increase car activity, although Boullier just said on sky that they are doing checks etc, so just maybe this is an unavoidable problem no matter what solution you throw their way.

#5 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,406 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:42

Give teams an additional set of tyres which they have to take back after 30 or 40 minutes of FP1 and they will run. 3 set of tyres for 3 hours of driving isn't really much and no wonder why teams don't want to waste any of them for driving on green track and get thata which is less useful.

I'm not sure but I think I've read there was such proposition to do it from 2014 onwards. Can recall if it was accepted, though.

#6 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:53

Reliability constraints.

Yes, they will love to test, but no, they will not love to test and harm their races because, while doing so, their limited gearbox+engine allowance get used while doing testing. 

You want the teams out on the track? 

Allow them to use different components (engine, gearbox, etc) for Fridays, not counted towards their qualy/race

Allow them to take extra cars (like the T-Car of old) for testing on Friday, so they will not have to rush and work as crazy monkies fitting racing components in on time.

The drawback? the costs would skyrocket.

They already can use different engines and gearboxes in FP. The restrictions only apply to qualfiying and the race.

#7 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:56

They already can use different engines and gearboxes in FP. The restrictions only apply to qualfiying and the race.

Not really. The Friday engine still comes out of their allocation, they don't get free ones for that day only.

#8 OO7

OO7

• 23,407 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:03

Give teams an additional set of tyres which they have to take back after 30 or 40 minutes of FP1 and they will run.

Not necessarily.  They usually say the track at that time is so unrepresentative they wouldn't learn anything, so they'd probably only go out for the install and aero testing/constant speed runs.

#9 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:05

GP2 ran just before F1 though, the track can't be that unrepresentative?

But yeah if it's not just tires but general material lifespan I'm not sure handing them another set of tires would do the trick.

#10 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:06

Not really. The Friday engine still comes out of their allocation, they don't get free ones for that day only.

That's not really problem after the first few races, as they're just reusing old engines already past their service life for the FPs.

#11 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:11

As well on the limitations of tyres and components, I think some intallation laps are inevitable.

These cars have been packed up, shipped, and not run for a couple of weeks. It makes sense to take a little bit of time over checking that all systems are ok, the car has been put together properly and there are no glitches before pushing them.

I'm not a fan of endurance-F1, but I'm also not a fan of 'forcing' the teams to do any running if it doesn't suit their program.

#12 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,647 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:11

And then keep changing them? They only have a limited crew and a curfew for them.

The comment above about the warmup is so true. I really miss my Sunday F1 breakfast.

#13 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,406 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:29

Not necessarily.  They usually say the track at that time is so unrepresentative they wouldn't learn anything, so they'd probably only go out for the install and aero testing/constant speed runs.

Maybe, but I guess at least those least experienced drivers would go and try to get more confidence on the track.

Also if they have to take back this set of tyres, they don't have much to lose anyway. Track will only get more representative, when somebody is driving on it and rubbering it.

Edited by Anderis, 20 September 2013 - 11:30.

#14 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:45

That's not really problem after the first few races, as they're just reusing old engines already past their service life for the FPs.

It will be a greater issue next year when they only get 5 for the season.

#15 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 14:08

Half serious/ half joking: Can't they take old car's along and run young talents to act as street sweeper? They could allocate a general fund for something like that, no? At the same time, Pirelli could bolt any type of tires on these cars for testing purposes.

#16 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 15:42

Teams already have an extra set of tyres for the first twenty minutes don't they? I know it's crisis in F1 as well, but why not have teams run two types of engines + gearboxes during a race weekend. One set for practices and the other for quali and race.

#17 Lucass

Lucass

• 121 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 17:46

It's not a problem so it doesn't need to be solved.

Hardly anyone watches Free Practice anyway and there are plenty broadcasters who don't even air it.

It's only a 'problem' for hardcore fans like us here and many will watch regardless.

#18 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 19:15

If I can, on Friday I only watch the first part of FP2 really. Can't be bothered with the last 45 mins of long runs. FP3 is more exciting, the build up to quali and in that session no boring long runs.

Edited by DutchQuicksilver, 20 September 2013 - 19:16.

#19 Suntrek

Suntrek

• 1,796 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 19:58

Give teams an additional set of tyres which they have to take back after 30 or 40 minutes of FP1 and they will run. 3 set of tyres for 3 hours of driving isn't really much and no wonder why teams don't want to waste any of them for driving on green track and get thata which is less useful.

I'm not sure but I think I've read there was such proposition to do it from 2014 onwards. Can recall if it was accepted, though.

It was indeed. Teams will be allocated an extra set of tyres only to be used in the first 30 minutes of FP1 in 2014.

http://www.fia.com/s...n 8.07.2013.pdf

paragraph 25.4 a