Lotus E21 (part 3)

• Please log in to reply
2440 replies to this topic

#2401 Pothead4Philosopher

Pothead4Philosopher

• 542 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 16:04

No, he's not, and no, one doesn't.

Sure, he doesn't get everything right, and he can be tiresome from time to time, but his blog is still one of the best F1-blogs.

One can like his style of writing, no problem. I like Gail Collins's opinion pieces -- and her excellent wit.

My issue arises from a journalistic point of view. He attempts to be one (a journo) in his blog entries, that is plain awful and an utter waste of time for readers. Only time I have ever seen him right about something, news wise, is when others, long before him, have already broken the news. Then that is just copy/paste journalism.

Sorry mate, I do not buy into your strain of thought.

Apology for wandering OT here.

Advertisement

#2402 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 20:23

well i expected a bit more from Kovalainen, though his problem with front wing didnt help.

Yet his S1 in the race was pretty horrible.

#2403 kimster89

kimster89

• 803 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 20:35

We can see clearly that the driver is important, not just car. Kova P15, GRO P2 in the same car.

#2404 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 20:48

Well done by RoGro!!!  :up:  :up:  :up:

Kova was pretty disappointing! Just shows that Fridays are just .... Fridays! ... And Kimi/RoGro arent overrated  :kiss:   ;)

#2405 Amz964

Amz964

• 49 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 20:49

Great drive from Gro keeping 1 Red bull behind him great achievement and Heikki was unlucky with the front wing but his pace wasn't bad

#2406 Yhamm

Yhamm

• 653 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 20:49

Too bad for Kova, bad start and a tire down I think? missing important points there

Grosjean was perfect in this race. Great start once again and he was solid to defend his 2nd place.

Edited by Yhamm, 17 November 2013 - 20:50.

#2407 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 20:52

it is sad, that Vettel is always there. Grosjean seriously deserves a win

#2408 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,934 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 20:53

We can see clearly that the driver is important, not just car. Kova P15, GRO P2 in the same car.

With that performance by Kova, the team will not beat Ferrari unless one of them DNF in Brazil.

#2409 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 20:54

well i expected a bit more from Kovalainen, though his problem with front wing didnt help.
Yet his S1 in the race was pretty horrible.

He had bad first sector whole weekend...he also had kers problem today, team also messed two pitstops, so all in all horrible day

#2410 Anja

Anja

• 556 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 21:01

Lotus wouldn't have any problems getting P2 in WCC if Kimi was still driving. Very clever move by Ferrari it turns out.

#2411 eREr

eREr

• 479 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 21:39

Lotus wouldn't have any problems getting P2 in WCC if Kimi was still driving.

Actually no. When Kimi was penalised and finished the race after 400m in Abu Dhabi the 2nd position was lost. Now the 3rd place is also a hard task as the delta is 18 points and there's only one race to go.

#2412 Hans V

Hans V

• 372 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 21:41

Lotus had a good shot at Ferrari, especially with Massa having gone back to sleep after he landed the Williams-drive (wonder what Claire and Sir Frank thought of that deal today....). With Kova droning about in the back of the midfield they can kiss those extra 15 million USD a third place in the WCC would have gotten them goodbye. They would have been better off paying Kimi half of his money....

Edited by Hans V, 17 November 2013 - 21:42.

#2413 eREr

eREr

• 479 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 21:51

Perfect race by RoGro!  :up: I would not bet any penny on him to keep P2 against Webber, I thought MW would overtake him easily, just like in Suzuka. The pressure was really high and he performed perfectly without the smallest mistake. Top job by him! :up:

Shame about Heikki, unfortunately he lost 4 positions during the 1st lap (2 at the start and additional 2 positions on the long straigt), and after the 1st pit stop he was dead slow (car problem?). His points are really missing against Ferrari.

Edited by eREr, 17 November 2013 - 21:53.

#2414 kimister

kimister

• 1,014 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 21:54

Gro was great today  :up:  :up:  really really impressed...

Sorry for Heikki though  :cry:

P.S. E21 again was the second best car out there  :up:  I wish Kimi could have raced today ( I missed him :(  ),  two Lotuses in the podium would quarantee P3 surely, but health is the most important thing in the life.

Edited by kimister, 17 November 2013 - 21:58.

#2415 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 22:19

let's be honest.

Lotus IS 2nd fastest car since Singapor each race. And only some retarded actions from pit wall changes that

#2416 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 14:50

Very, very nice to see Grosjean delivering as well as he is. He will be a formidable opponent under pressure if he has taken some lessons from his mental experience over the crashes, as well as partnering with Kimi. 

#2417 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,955 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 16:19

With the exception of Vettel, nobody has done a better job than Grosjean in the second-half of the season. The signs were there in Germany (a race I still think he would have won but for the backwards rolling Marussia) and Hungary and he has been excellent since.

The car is IMO ahead of Mercedes and Ferrari but some bad luck (Grosjean Singapore and Kimi's penalty in Abu-Dhabi) means the team will probably finish 4th. At least they took the fight to RBR in Japan and kept them honest in Korea which is more than can be said for the rest.

#2418 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 18:09

Anybody out there?

Not a good qualy for Kova considering that RoGro was first in Q2.
Good qualy by RoGro.

#2419 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 18:09

Anybody out there?

Good qualy by RoGro.

Advertisement

#2420 kimister

kimister

• 1,014 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 19:07

This was the last quali for E21 and it was really a lovely car. I wish it could have been brought to finish line first more than once. It had lots of potential, only if pit wall has acted more ...wisely sometimes. Anyway, this year was a tough learning period for Enstone in terms of fighting again for victories and in championship fight.

It seems E21 is not hard to drive in the rain as its ancestor showed last year. Therefore, team can pick up some solid points tomorrow , but I do not think it will be enough to leap ahead of Ferrari in the points table.

#2421 eREr

eREr

• 479 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 21:24

Anybody out there?

Good qualy by RoGro.

I thought RoGro had chance for P1 in Q3. He was preety quick in Q2 and he was the first one who switched to inters, but the lap times were not good enough. I was hoping for much better than P6. As Alonso will start from P3 and Heikki from P11, I don't think WCC 3rd position is achievable. But who knows. If it will be a dry race, then P3 is lost, If it rains, then there's small chance to grab P3 in WCC. We'll see.

#2422 Yhamm

Yhamm

• 653 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 16:28

"let's wait to see if i'm confirmed here [at Lotus]"

can't believe they did nothing yet :(

I still fear that with Lotus problem he can be without a seat next year :s

Anyway, really sad to finish the year this way. Grosjean said that the 7th gear was too short and he was lacking speed, thats why Hulk passed him, but he was confident on long run. Weird to see an engine explode

Kovalaien is nowhere... and Lotus will just stay 4th in the championship :(

#2423 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,299 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 16:43

"let's wait to see if i'm confirmed here [at Lotus]"

can't believe they did nothing yet :(

I still fear that with Lotus problem he can be without a seat next year :s

Anyway, really sad to finish the year this way. Grosjean said that the 7th gear was too short and he was lacking speed, thats why Hulk passed him, but he was confident on long run. Weird to see an engine explode

Kovalaien is nowhere... and Lotus will just stay 4th in the championship :(

Was that Grosjean? I guess yes.

Well, some serious journos have already begun to talk about the possibility (there are also other possibilities, no panic yet, please) of not being there next year if the money doesn't arrive. And I don't think Grosjean has a back-up plan just in case.

#2424 Yhamm

Yhamm

• 653 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 16:52

yes, it was Grosjean on French TV just after he had to stop his race

#2425 Amz964

Amz964

• 49 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 17:30

Well a bad end to season that started so well the e21 was a very good car and deserved a better sendoff such a shame that Romain's race ended so early I think he could have been in the top 5 but HK pace has been very poor in the race and hopefully the team gets the investment because it would be such a shame if the team does not end up on the grid next year

#2426 Pothead4Philosopher

Pothead4Philosopher

• 542 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 18:22

Well then, here is Lotus F1 team's season in a few words: 4th in WCC, lost Allison, Kimi and a bunch of other engineers, losing/bleeding € or $ 8 million a month, relying on Quantum character Ijaz to save them.

My thanks to the folks making the car, but I have no good words for the management. Freaking amateur hour turned to amateur season. Pity.

Next season, if there is one, will be difficult -- and that's being optimistic.

#2427 Gorma

Gorma

• 1,705 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 18:23

My thanks to the folks making the car, but I have no good words for the management. Freaking amateur hour turned to amateur season. Pity.

Same as my thoughts.

#2428 OccasionalCommenter

OccasionalCommenter

• 89 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 18:24

Another excellent season on track. However,  off track things look very bleak indeed.

#2429 ForeverInLoveWithF1

ForeverInLoveWithF1

• 52 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 16:43

Lotus had a good shot at Ferrari, especially with Massa having gone back to sleep after he landed the Williams-drive (wonder what Claire and Sir Frank thought of that deal today....). With Kova droning about in the back of the midfield they can kiss those extra 15 million USD a third place in the WCC would have gotten them goodbye. They would have been better off paying Kimi half of his money....

How should I understand this statement? You mean his absence was not due to the terrible back pain and the unavoidable back surgery but because of lack of payment?

#2430 jedioriginal

jedioriginal

• 675 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 16:59

If this Maldonado deal is happening,next year will be interesting...Gro and Maldo,hmmmmm....

#2431 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,299 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 17:09

If this Maldonado deal is happening,next year will be interesting...Gro and Maldo,hmmmmm....

At least, it would increase the chances of seeing the Enstone team on the grid (I must admit, I'm a bit -a lot- worried about Lotus and Sauber)

#2432 Yhamm

Yhamm

• 653 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 17:13

and they still have nothing signed with Renault I think?

#2433 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,299 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 17:20

I don't remember any official announcement. Everybody gives for granted it will be Renault, but last thing I remember was something of the likes of "we'll care about that later"

#2434 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,906 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 17:38

Lotus' problems cannot be solved by signing Maldonado. Even ignoring the conflict between Total and PDVSA, Genii Capital want a return on the loans extended to the team. I belive the team is leveraged to almost €100 million. Maldonado is no longer believed to be bringing the megabucks he had at Williams. The other problem is Genii could simply use his money to offset the loans rather than invest in the team. The calculus suggests a competitive Lotus requires the Quantum deal to come through.

#2435 kimister

kimister

• 1,014 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 17:40

Well then, here is Lotus F1 team's season in a few words: 4th in WCC, lost Allison, Kimi and a bunch of other engineers, losing/bleeding € or $ 8 million a month, relying on Quantum character Ijaz to save them.

I agree with you.

#2436 quidam

quidam

• 188 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 19:02

losing/bleeding € or $ 8 million a month

Who check Lotus account   :smoking:

#2437 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 519 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 22:44

What are the chances that Lotus won't be on the grid next year?

#2438 quidam

quidam

• 188 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:34

What are the chances that Lotus won't be on the grid next year?

You better look at Sauber chance

Since the agreement with Russian partners have failed to realize, Sauber fans should prepare for the fact that the winter months will be extremely difficult, and the team will have to fight for survival - Benoit writes the newspaper Blick.
source  F1news

Edited by quidam, 27 November 2013 - 05:39.

#2439 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:58

It was among one of many boxes that needed ticking after the money came in. Boullier did mention that they're trying to work with Renault to take up some "branding opportunities" or something "even closer". This was back in mid-October. 

Advertisement

#2440 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,299 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:13

You better look at Sauber chance

So what? Sauber is in a very bad situation, but it doesn't change Lotus' and doesn't make disappear the possibility (I hope very low) of Lotus not making it to the grid next season if everything goes terribly wrong.

If I'm starving, I won't stop feeling hungry or dying from hunger just because my neighbour is hungry too.

#2441 jedioriginal

jedioriginal

• 675 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:10

Heikki Kulta from TS is saying that according to rumours Maldonado/Lotus deal was finalized early this week in Caracas.