* * - - - 18 votes

Vettel being booed again, and again...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
743 replies to this topic

#1 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 14:56

What the SkySports F1 guys don't understand is that it's not a sporting problem, it's just that people generally don't like Vettel's character.

It was very visible in Ted Kravitz' feature before the race, they didn't get along. It's as simple as that.

Advertisement

#2 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:01

What the SkySports F1 guys don't understand is that it's not a sporting problem, it's just that people generally don't like Vettel's character.

It was very visible in Ted Kravitz' feature before the race, they didn't get along. It's as simple as that.

:rolleyes:

Character my arse. And who are you to say Brunde, Croft and Co don't understand? They're right there amongst it week in week out; it's just becoming a crass, classless habit now, making Vettel the pantomine villain, largely because he's beating some drivers who have a section of uber worshipping fans and are fecked off with their heroes constantly getting beaten.

#3 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:03

And here we go again.

#4 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

He'd probably be booed on the other steps too, too bad Newey doesn't let us witness it.

#5 ebc

ebc

• 438 posts

Who cares if he is booed, that you seem to get pleasure from seeing him booed says more about you.

And the people who boo him do not know his character, you have to know someone personally before you can judge them like that.

He is booed because he is winning, other drivers have done far worse than Vettel, Alonso for example blackmailed his own team yet he is not booed because he is not winning.

Plenty of other sportsmen get booed for winning like Jimmie Johnson or Rafa Nadal and Tiger Woods., it is not a big deal so stop opening new threads afaer every race.

#6 AndreasF1

AndreasF1

• 1,200 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:04

You put Vettel in a Ferrari and the booes will turn into cheers!

I recall Schumacher wasn't treated much better when he was driving a Benetton and winning every other race against a far superior Williams.

#7 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:04

I'm not getting pleasure from it, I wouldn't boo him, I'm just getting people an explanation, as everybody seems to be clueless about the problem.

#8 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:05

It's pathetic from the spectators, Vettel shouldn't be booed just because he is currently best and is driving amazingly well....as a person he is also very likeable.

#9 InfectedPumpkin

InfectedPumpkin

• 535 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:05

Vettel's character? He is one of the nicest guys on the grid. Always funny and always eager to give you autograph. Almost everyone who meet him can tell you the same.

The problem is he is not the fastest in general, but have fastest car. That is why people may booed him.

#10 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:06

This thread again.

I see it as boo-ing a package doing F1 better than everyone else. All the excuses about Seb's character, or his ignoring team orders, don't stack in my opinion.

I think its a combination of lowest common denominator, and mob mentality. People in mobs/crowds feel safe to bully and be unpleasant, when if face to face with Seb they would likely be perfectly cordial.

#11 P123

P123

• 23,963 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:06

Not another topic of angst where people claim booing to be the worst thing ever, never happened in F1 before Vs others who try and convince us that Vettel really is a dastardly fellow who deserves to be publicly flogged for waving his finger, fighting in Malaysia or some such other spurious reasons....  :yawnface:

Booing happens.  In F1, in all sports.  It is not new.  Vettel gets boo'd for whatever reason you wish to choose.  It isn't vindication of your negative views of him though.

#12 Iremos

Iremos

• 116 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:07

This thread again.

I see it as boo-ing a package doing F1 better than everyone else. All the excuses about Seb's character, or his ignoring team orders, don't stack in my opinion.

I think its a combination of lowest common denominator, and mob mentality. People in mobs/crowds feel safe to bully and be unpleasant, when if face to face with Seb they would likely be perfectly cordial.

Well, you are wrong.

#13 Realyn

Realyn

• 558 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:08

I'm not getting pleasure from it, I wouldn't boo him, I'm just getting people an explanation, as everybody seems to be clueless about the problem.

Thanks for enlightening us since you know it all.

#14 tommi34

tommi34

• 379 posts

What's the problem with his character? For example Alonso is much more controversial, but still more popular.

It's just about Vettel winning all the time and supporters of other drivers being fed up with it. The boos are very disrespective, though.

#15 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Not another topic of angst where people claim booing to be the worst thing ever, never happened in F1 before Vs others who try and convince us that Vettel really is a dastardly fellow who deserves to be publicly flogged for waving his finger, fighting in Malaysia or some such other spurious reasons....  :yawnface:

Booing happens.  In F1, in all sports.  It is not new.  Vettel gets boo'd for whatever reason you wish to choose.  It isn't vindication of your negative views of him though.

I keep seeing this - please, an example of one other sport where the fans boo the winner at the end of the event.

I've never seen it in football - fans are more likely to boo their own team at the end of a match than the opposition team. Also the whole team would cop it as one.

When have we seen a single person boo'd at the end of a sporting event for winning?

#16 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:09

Well, you are wrong.

Care to expand on which parts you think I am wrong about?

#17 P123

P123

• 23,963 posts

Oh, and the F1 press and paddock are massively over-reacting to it.

#18 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,683 posts

What annoys me is people use "Multi 21" as an excuse to justify the booing. It's a silly excuse and I'm sure most people only don't actually believe it.

#19 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Fair play to brundle for at least trying to hush the the loudmouths in the podium ceremony, and his comments after were spot on, people pay a lot of money to see excellence, and Vettel is providing it, he should be applauded for that.

If people can find nothing nice to say, perhaps they should say nothing, applaud if you appreciate  the effort and result, dont applaud if you dont appreciate them would seem to be a better response, certainly a more grown up one, the booing is really becoming tiresome.

Advertisement

#20 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:10

why was he not booed in germany if it would be for his character? Character is an universal thing....  I didn't like Schumi cause of his character till he came to Mercedes despite Michael being german...

so if Seb had a shitty character and the booing would be caused by that it would have happened in germany too

#21 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:11

Jesus wept! I didn't realise that Singapore was a British colony again?!

#22 P123

P123

• 23,963 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:12

I keep seeing this - please, an example of one other sport where the fans boo the winner at the end of the event.

I've never seen it in football - fans are more likely to boo their own team at the end of a match than the opposition team. Also the whole team would cop it as one.

When have we seen a single person boo'd at the end of a sporting event for winning?

Really, you can't compared it with football.  The opposition fans will spout their displeasure through a match.  They can scream all the venom they like, they know they will be heard.  The only chance for similar spouting at an F1 event is when the drivers are standing up there on the podium, open to the crowd.

#23 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:13

Well im certain that Marc Marquez will dominate MotoGP in a similar way in next year and if he wont get the boos then will know people dont like seb coz of his personality not his dominance. If Marc will get boos to, then we can conclude people just dont stand dominance.

#24 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,124 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:14

Well im certain that Marc Marquez will dominate MotoGP in a similar way in next year and if he wont get the boos then will know people dont like seb coz of his personality not his dominance. If Marc will get boos to, then we can conclude people just dont stand dominance.

Does Marquez do the 'finger' after he wins? 

#25 Lemans

Lemans

• 2,739 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:14

Booing at a sporting event? How shocking!!

#26 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:15

Really, you can't compared it with football.  The opposition fans will spout their displeasure through a match.  They can scream all the venom they like, they know they will be heard.  The only chance for similar spouting at an F1 event is when the drivers are standing up there on the podium, open to the crowd.

Ok fair enough, but in your post I responded to you said that this happens in all sports.

I haven't noticed it, so which other sports do we have where fans routinely directly boo the winner at the end of the event?

Edited by spacekid, 22 September 2013 - 15:15.

#27 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:15

Fair play to brundle for at least trying to hush the the loudmouths in the podium ceremony, and his comments after were spot on, people pay a lot of money to see excellence, and Vettel is providing it, he should be applauded for that.

If people can find nothing nice to say, perhaps they should say nothing, applaud if you appreciate  the effort and result, dont applaud if you dont appreciate them would seem to be a better response, certainly a more grown up one, the booing is really becoming tiresome.

Yep, Lauda and Hill also saying the same. Nobody with a functioning brain thinks it's big, clever, funny or justified, it's just a demonstration of ignorance and ill manners.

#28 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:16

Come on, guys. Really? It's a sporting event. People have paid enough for the race ticket to express their opinion - and they're free to do it. 

If you don't like it, turn off the TV during the podium interview and read the transcripts later. 

Edited by Cyanide, 22 September 2013 - 15:17.

#29 sesku

sesku

• 289 posts

Judging Vettel character simply from TV, internet and other media really stupid. Please stop. :|

#30 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Seems to me for all the theorising we lack parallels. Nobody in motorsport has ever been treated like this.

#31 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:17

Does Marquez do the 'finger' after he wins? 

Oh god. The finger? Really? It's still the finger that's bugging you guys? 

#32 Iremos

Iremos

• 116 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:18

People on here might have hurt feelings about it, (need some patting?), but F1 gives the fans a possibility to speak and they have spoken. Deal with it. Plus, feel free to act holier than thou and "my opinion is worth more than theirs" because you are just being a hypocrite by doing so.

#33 P123

P123

• 23,963 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:19

Ok fair enough, but in your post I responded to you said that this happens in all sports.

I haven't noticed it, so which other sports do we have where fans routinely directly boo the winner at the end of the event?

I've already explained why F1 is different in that respect.  It's the crowds opportunity to be heard.  I'm not saying it's right, but lets cut out the pretence that booing is a grotesque crime or anything new in F1. 

#34 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,554 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:20

What annoys me is people use "Multi 21" as an excuse to justify the booing. It's a silly excuse and I'm sure most people only don't actually believe it.

If anything it's not the overtake itself, but the fake apology/backtrack that came afterwards that grates with some people.

#35 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:20

Oh god. The finger? Really? It's still the finger that's bugging you guys? 

Finger + other annoying mimics = character

#36 Coral

Coral

• 6,788 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:21

I don't agree with the booing but Vettel just is not popular. He's also in a seriously dominant car and the "races" which people have paid good money to see are merely processions. The podium interviews don't help and personally I think they should be scrapped.

As for Marc Marquez...no I don't think he will be booed, even if he becomes very dominant...he is just far too cute and smiley to boo! :love:  I mean, Valentino Rossi was very dominant at one time and I don't ever remember him getting booed...Casey Stoner on the other hand... :drunk:

Vettel can't force people to like him. He is not popular...it's as simple as that.

#37 JRUK

JRUK

• 77 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:21

Come on, guys. Really? It's a sporting event. People have paid enough for the race ticket to express their opinion - and they're free to do it.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that riot police are sent in to stop the booing. They are free to boo and everyone else is free to express their opinion on the people who boo.

#38 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:22

Jesus wept; you're through the bottom of the barrel now.

#39 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:24

Why talk about Marquez, if the same thing happened already to Lorenzo?

http://www.motorcycl...s-off-boo-boys/

When Vettel isn't dominating like he does right now, things will calm down as they did for Lorenzo who isn't dominating right now.

Advertisement

#40 Iremos

Iremos

• 116 posts

Careful, Ravenak, those "true F1 fans" might force you to "like" Vettel and if you don't, then you are surely a hater. Oh the self-entitlement..

#41 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

the people who actually work in F1, nobody of them ever said anything different...

I've spent many, many weekends in the paddock in recent years and it's true, there's really not much to say about him.

Last year eating in the RBR motorhome, he sat at the table next to mine and looked awfully nice and would always smile to me when eye contact was made.

BUT. Here you go. He bears some bad vibe and that's what people react to.

#42 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

If you don't like it, turn off the TV during the podium interview and read the transcripts later. 

so do I understand that right? You say paying money gives you the right you to bully other people? Cause that's what the booing is, bullying... nothing else

#43 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:25

I've already explained why F1 is different in that respect.  It's the crowds opportunity to be heard.  I'm not saying it's right, but lets cut out the pretence that booing is a grotesque crime or anything new in F1. 

I hate to push the point, but again you said this happens in all sports. I'm just asking which other sports do we routinely see the winner boo'd during the winners ceremony?

If F1 is unique then it doesn't happen in all sports. I honestly can't remember seeing this sort of behaviour in F1 in the past at so many events directed at a single person, or in any other motorsports. If you have other examples of a driver in another series, or in F1, being boo'd at pretty much every race he wins then when has it happened.

I don't think anyone has called it a 'groteque crime' - this seems like hyperbole to diminish the argument that it is wrong.

I however completely agree with Niki Lauda - it is disrespectful and shows ignorance towards what it takes to be an F1 winner. I find this very dissapointing. I also don't like bullying.

#44 kimster89

kimster89

• 1,413 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:25

I don't agree with the booing but Vettel just is not popular. He's also in a seriously dominant car and the "races" which people have paid good money to see are merely processions. The podium interviews don't help and personally I think they should be scrapped.

As for Marc Marquez...no I don't think he will be booed, even if he becomes very dominant...he is just far too cute and smiley to boo! :love:  I mean, Valentino Rossi was very dominant at one time and I don't ever remember him getting booed...Casey Stoner on the other hand... :drunk:

Vettel can't force people to like him. He is not popular...it's as simple as that.

I think Vettel just tries to hard to be liked and its getting worse for him. Kimi on the other hand just doesnt care and look his huuge fan base.

#45 kimister

kimister

• 2,979 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:26

'' Niki Lauda: "These guys don't understand about the sport," he says of the boos #f1 '' 

https://twitter.com/...797679547682816 

#46 P123

P123

• 23,963 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:27

I think your post just confirms that people can choose rather silly reasons to cheer for, or cheer against other drivers.

Above you, I note we have somebody who not so long ago was telling us that Hamilton not wearing a cap just reinforced their reasosn for disliking him.  Ok... :drunk:   And then we have another member here, who tells us that the crowd should just say nothing if they don't have anything positive to say; a wise if futile thought,  yet whose reaction (and the first reaction posted on the race thread) after the first corner accident at Spa 2012 was to post "LOL @ Hamilton".  So really, should we be surprised that a few people in a crowd may boo if this forum is any example of the hardcore of F1 fandom?  I think not.

#47 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:27

Valentino Rossi was dominating a decade ago, but he was/is a very popular rider.

Surely he has a different character, one that appeases fans.

Vettel is not a bad character that some try to make it out to be, just his character is not one that engages "the masses".

#48 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:28

Booing Vettel is just ignorant sour grapes. He is clearly without peer at the moment, and I say that as a long time Webber fan. Brilliant drive.

#49 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:30

so do I understand that right? You say paying money gives you the right you to bully other people? Cause that's what the booing is, bullying... nothing else

Bullying? Are you serious? I don't think you fully understand the word, mate. Vettel is not being threatened, intimidated or dominated. If people were throwing stuff at him, I would understand. But like this, he just shrugs it off and wins another race in the process. 

His fans are more bothered by it than he is, it seems. Like I said, if it hurts that much, turn off the TV during podium interviews and read the transcripts later. Because you're certainly not going to change the mentality of all those people. Booing is part of a competition/sporting event - always has been, always will be. 

Edited by Cyanide, 22 September 2013 - 15:31.

#50 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:30

'' Niki Lauda: "These guys don't understand about the sport," he says of the boos #f1 '' 

https://twitter.com/...797679547682816

Because it's friggin not about the sport.

That's why I say they're all cluesless: Brundle, Lauda and others don't understand, people just, don't, like him.