* * * * - 3 votes

Put yer back into it!.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 18:07

I'm reluctant to call Kimi's drive heroic, and there were the sceptics who hinted that he didn't really have any back problems in any case, but Brundle confirmed pre-race that Kimi was in fact in considerable pain, so whichever way you look at it it was an inspired drive, especially his pass on Button which really needed to be made as Webber was gaining hand over fist.

13th to a podium could be a considered a good drive , consider that the driver was injured and for me it becomes a great drive, which other drivers have given similar performances ?

Advertisement

#2 P123

P123

• 23,877 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 18:12

It's a pity he wasn't able to do a proper quali run on Saturday.

Montoya raced best part of a season with a duff shoulder,  Webber with his shoulder and leg.... and I recall JV winning in Argentina despite a severe stomach bug.... 

#3 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,143 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 18:14

It really was a great drive, back pain or no back pain and a great pass on Button. Uber kudos to Kimi.

#4 jedioriginal

jedioriginal

• 675 posts

1.51 after passed Button. Mind blowing stuff with sore back and on a track like Singapore :clap:

Edited by jedioriginal, 22 September 2013 - 18:14.

#5 OccasionalCommenter

OccasionalCommenter

• 89 posts

Webber vomiting in his helmet springs to mind. It was a pretty good drive for him too, until Vettel rear-ended him.

#6 jedioriginal

jedioriginal

• 675 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 18:16

Webber vomiting in his helmet springs to mind. It was a pretty good drive for him too, until Vettel rear-ended him.

Heh :up: True warrior

#7 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 18:17

Nigel Mansell, in every race. Or so he claimed (kidding Nige, I love you as a driver :) )

Good effort from Kimi today. I'll take his word for it that he was hurt today, as I don't think Kimi would bother to open his mouth to say something that wasn't true.

In honour of Rush, how about Lauda at Monza in '76? That was pretty tough, manly stuff.

#8 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 18:17

Nigel did that too, in Indycar if I remember.

#9 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 18:18

it was great drive wihtout a doubt.

Kimi himself have had similar difficulties before...his neck was injured during 2007 monza practise crash and he could barely keep his head straight yet did finish to the podium. Lauda 1976 doing fantastic race after Nurburgring accident.

#10 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 18:21

It's a pity he wasn't able to do a proper quali run on Saturday.

Montoya raced best part of a season with a duff shoulder,  Webber with his shoulder and leg.... and I recall JV winning in Argentina despite a severe stomach bug.... 

:up: Webbers one was funny, but no less brave in spite of that, his leg one was brave and not funny, Lauda is another one, personally i think almost anything Zanardi did post crash was heroic and i'm amazed at some of the MotoGP guys, proper nutcases, but brave ones.

#11 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 18:25

I also remember Kimi getting some fuel from Kovalainen's car to his eyes (and momentary flames around him) at Interlagos 2009. He said he was momentarily blinded and his eyes were still burning a bit after the race.

Edited by Wander, 22 September 2013 - 18:25.

#12 jedioriginal

jedioriginal

• 675 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 18:31

I also remember Kimi getting some fuel from Kovalainen's car to his eyes (and momentary flames around him) at Interlagos 2009. He said he was momentarily blinded and his eyes were still burning a bit after the race.

Here is the video.http://www.youtube.c...h?v=OvgjhfQLTNk

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Hzg_9UXo9s8

Idiots. They should know that fire does not work to Iceman :lol:

Edited by jedioriginal, 22 September 2013 - 18:46.

#13 P123

P123

• 23,877 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 18:33

:up: Webbers one was funny, but no less brave in spite of that, his leg one was brave and not funny, Lauda is another one, personally i think almost anything Zanardi did post crash was heroic and i'm amazed at some of the MotoGP guys, proper nutcases, but brave ones.

Heh- there must be a huge list for MotoGP.  Lorenzo stands out this season.

And AZ stands above all.  There was a topic regarding what would make another great racing movie......

#14 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 18:41

Great drive by Raikkonen today :up:

People forget that Formula 1 drivers are true athletes.

#15 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,393 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 18:45

Nigel did that too, in Indycar if I remember.

Nelson Piquet won a world championship in such circumstances.

#16 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 18:47

think hamlin got a few top 5's earlier this year on his return, then crashed a bunch more then disapeared :\

#17 Amin

Amin

• 702 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 18:47

Hamilton: "I don't know how Kimi came from where he did, that's incredible"

#18 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 18:48

Heh- there must be a huge list for MotoGP.  Lorenzo stands out this season.

And AZ stands above all.  There was a topic regarding what would make another great racing movie......

His life story would make a decent movie  :D and his is probably the reason i wouldn't call Kimi's driver heroic, in isolation it was certainly a ballsy one, and typical of him, Zanardi is on a whole other level and as with Lauda's whilst they may or may not have been in considerable pain there must surely have been some demons whispering in their ears when they first got back in.

When we're often distracted by the politics and the validity (or otherwise) of the rules and whether 1 driver/team is "ruining" the sport its easy to forget just how driven these guys are, and the risks and pain they go through to do what they enjoy most, and ultimately to entertain us.

Sometimes even when they're not being paid!

#19 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 18:51

think hamlin got a few top 5's earlier this year on his return, then crashed a bunch more then disapeared :\

he raced with a torn ACL, didn't he?

Didn't Brad K. win a race with a broken ankle?

Advertisement

#20 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 20:10

Truex nearly drove into a win and into the chase with a broken wrist/hand a few weeks ago.

#21 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 20:15

he raced with a torn ACL, didn't he?

Didn't Brad K. win a race with a broken ankle?

yeah denny won with his knee trouble or whatever it was too

#22 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,143 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 20:17

Lorenzo at Assen, Pedrosa at Laguna Seca, Truex at Atlanta, Woffinden last night at the Speedway in Stockholm with the collarbone sticking out winning a heat... these were great men'o'steel performances this year and I'm sure I forgot some here and there.

#23 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 21:40

Pretty sure that Hamilton has raced with a broken heart for much of this season.

Mr.-Krabs-Playing-The-Worlds-Smallest-Vi

#24 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 1,282 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 00:41

BTCC cult hero Rob Austin raced with this leg injury (shark bite?) at Snetterton this year:

Warning - vivid leg injury: https://twitter.com/...848517296058368

#25 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:39

Pretty sure that Hamilton has raced with a broken heart for much of this season.

Mr.-Krabs-Playing-The-Worlds-Smallest-Vi

:lol:

#26 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:42

According to Kimi his back really wasn't an issue in the race. 

#27 jedioriginal

jedioriginal

• 675 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:52

And according to Kimi he don't know is he able to race in Korea two weeks from now,so hard to say how bad the back really was...

#28 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:55

true, but he had taken painkillers so he didn't feel until he raised out from the car.

#29 motorhead

motorhead

• 1,563 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:06

Aki Hintsa who is a doctor at McLaren injected cortison in Kimi´s back before the race.

#30 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:11

Aki Hintsa who is a doctor at McLaren injected cortison in Kimi´s back before the race.

So what's your point? Raikkonen said it wasn't an issue. I believe him, no need to create some "heroic" myth.

#31 Gyno

Gyno

• 657 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:24

Kimi said after the race that the back problem wasn't really that bad.

Also only reason he made it to 3rd place was because of the SC.

Without that he would have been 7th or 8th.

#32 Der Pate

Der Pate

• 624 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:29

I recall Niki Lauda took part in the Monza-GP in 1984 (fighting for the championship against Alain Prost) and had troubles with his rib. In Qualifying he shouted out because of pain and didn´t know, if he could race till the end. In the end he won the race...

And Gerhard Berger drove his best races, when he was ill. Remember his first win in Mexiko 1986. If you watch the podium-ceremony, you see how he looks...

#33 BRG

BRG

• 25,897 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 14:57

Motor racing history is full of stories like this.  Nigel Mansell did his F1 test for Lotus whilst suffering from a broken neck.  And was it Mansell who did his first GP sitting in a bath of petrol due to a fuel leak?  Lauda came back to race only a few weeks after being given the Last Rites after his accident at the 'Ring despite massive burns and internal injuries.  After his 1969 crash at Watkins Glen, Graham Hill raced in F1 despite being barely able to walk and having to be helped into and out of the car - and he finished 6th at Monaco like that.

These are all tough cookies.  Even nowadays!

#34 keiichi

keiichi

• 527 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 15:41

Nuvolari also had a remarkable story:

It was also in 1925 that Nuvolari was asked by Alfa Romeo to have a trial in their Grand Prix car. The car's gearbox seized and Nuvolari crashed,[8] severely lacerating his back.[9] Despite his injuries, he competed in the Nations Grand Prix at Monza six days later, winning the race after he had persuaded staff at the hospital to bandage him in a manner such that he could sit on his motorcycle and receive a push start.

From wikipedia

#35 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 15:44

Yeah Our Noige was the first name which sprang to mind when I read the OP.  Always an entertaining interview after a race, trying to work out what the problem was going to be this week to make his dominant win so difficult.

#36 SpaceHorseParty

SpaceHorseParty

• 1,585 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 15:50

Jackie Stewart won the 1968 German Grand Prix (in Nordschleife) with a broken wrist in torrential rain. He was four minutes ahead of Graham Hill, who placed second.

#37 motorhead

motorhead

• 1,563 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 17:10

So what's your point? Raikkonen said it wasn't an issue. I believe him, no need to create some "heroic" myth.

I wasn´t creating anything, just saying...funny that it was rival teams doctor. I have had a shot or two of cortison and I know it helps for the pain, I´m not considering myself a hero becouse of that, it just keeps me going.

Edited by motorhead, 23 September 2013 - 17:12.

#38 Headspin

Headspin

• 278 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 18:34

I wasn´t creating anything, just saying...funny that it was rival teams doctor. I have had a shot or two of cortison and I know it helps for the pain, I´m not considering myself a hero becouse of that, it just keeps me going.

Actually, it is funny that because of Kimi, Jenson had to defend hard and thus destroying his tires even further.

#39 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,267 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 18:35

I recall Niki Lauda took part in the Monza-GP in 1984 (fighting for the championship against Alain Prost) and had troubles with his rib. In Qualifying he shouted out because of pain and didn´t know, if he could race till the end. In the end he won the race...

And Gerhard Berger drove his best races, when he was ill. Remember his first win in Mexiko 1986. If you watch the podium-ceremony, you see how he looks...

Berger's last win was similarly heroic - he won the 1997 German Grand Prix having missed the past three races due to sinus problems and the death of his father.

Also, although it wasn't an injury, I thought the performance of the Schumacher brothers at Imola 2003 was remarkable - Michael won and Ralf was fourth despite the death of their mother only hours earlier.

Advertisement

#40 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 387 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 21:17

If you guys want to talk nascar, Ricky Rudd once won a race with his eyelids taped open after a huge crash the week before. Can't remember exactly what his injury was.

#41 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,728 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 21:35

he suffered a concussion. His eyes were swollen so badly he taped his eyes open in order to be able to race in the Daytona 500

#42 Winter98

Winter98

• 638 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 00:52

Motor racing history is full of stories like this.  Nigel Mansell did his F1 test for Lotus whilst suffering from a broken neck.  And was it Mansell who did his first GP sitting in a bath of petrol due to a fuel leak?  Lauda came back to race only a few weeks after being given the Last Rites after his accident at the 'Ring despite massive burns and internal injuries.  After his 1969 crash at Watkins Glen, Graham Hill raced in F1 despite being barely able to walk and having to be helped into and out of the car - and he finished 6th at Monaco like that.

These are all tough cookies.  Even nowadays!

Time for a Hockey story (Sorry, I'm Canadian  :p )

In 1964 Bobby Baun broke his leg early in a playoff game.  He returned later that same game, and scored the winning goal in Overtime.

Across all sports there are amazing stories like this, and IMO it's called "For the Love of the Game", and it's the reason all of these guys are so successful at what they do.  And so many of these stories are from back when athletes were making peanuts compared to today.  Heck, hockey players had to work a summer job to make ends meet.  I have total respect and admiration for all these guys.

Edited by Winter98, 24 September 2013 - 01:02.

#43 Morbus

Morbus

• 489 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:11

On the Tour the France, back in the 1910s, the yellow jersey finished a stage after breaking his bike's fork at the top of a mountain, WALKING down the mountain with his bike by hand, finding a blacksmith where he mended the fork himself (back then they weren't allowed to receive help from other people), THROUGH THE NIGHT and finished the stage not last, and went on to win the tour. Incidentally, he was penalized by 1 minute for receiving help from a young boy who operated the furnace for him.

#44 Avastrol

Avastrol

• 445 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:13

I guess in this case, the combination of painkillers and adrenaline made is such that it was no issue/had very minimal impact during the race itself, but it's afterwards and the days after that Kimi probably felt knackered.

Besides, it's a case of a pinched nerve, and so not as dramatic as the gnarlier accidents where drivers/riders race with bones/flesh sticking out held together by leathers and bandages. But because it's direct to nerves, it's probably would have been just as painful.

#45 ZZei

ZZei

• 614 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:38

Ï think it was, as it was pointed out, he was using less of the track and curbs during the race than the other drivers. Plus raikkonen was mounted down really slow in the second pitstop when the SC came out.

Could be the finnish mentality of not trying to sound cocky by shouting out your injuries. In kimis case most likely he just isnt interested in sharing his backproblems to the whole wide world.

#46 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:22

Some good examples  :up: Some of which i recall and some i had no idea about.

As for Kimi's troubles, well he must have taken his shades off for someone, Or it could be that this piece doesn't have to get past the BBC's "Chief F1 Writer"   :lol:

"It is this tenacity that teams love about Rӓikkӧnen. He is more steel than ice because eventually ice melts. Kimi is very tough and despite a perceived devil may care attitude, he absolutely wants to win and loves nothing more than defying the odds."

http://www.motorspor...k-in-singapore/

Edited by swerved, 24 September 2013 - 12:36.

#47 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:27

Ï think it was, as it was pointed out, he was using less of the track and curbs during the race than the other drivers. Plus raikkonen was mounted down really slow in the second pitstop when the SC came out.

Could be the finnish mentality of not trying to sound cocky by shouting out your injuries. In kimis case most likely he just isnt interested in sharing his backproblems to the whole wide world.

He already shared that he was injured on Saturday.  I don't see why he would suddenly just lie about it the next day.  If he says it wasn't bothering him that much, I don't see why we should think he's not telling the truth. 

Makes sense, too.  His pain was blamed for why he was so slow in qualifying.  So it stands to reason he wouldn't have been very fast during a much longer race if he was still hurting that badly. 

#48 ZZei

ZZei

• 614 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 14:46

He already shared that he was injured on Saturday.  I don't see why he would suddenly just lie about it the next day.  If he says it wasn't bothering him that much, I don't see why we should think he's not telling the truth. 

Makes sense, too.  His pain was blamed for why he was so slow in qualifying.  So it stands to reason he wouldn't have been very fast during a much longer race if he was still hurting that badly. 

Fair point. At no point did I say he was lying though. He just didnt make a bigger fuss about it (surprised?) as maybe some some other drivers may have done. But atleast to my eye he wasnt being as aggressive as one could be around a street track. So it may have affected his pace a bit, especially when he was trying to find his way round button.