Vettel's Opinion on booing: I've learned that I can't please everyone."

• Please log in to reply
373 replies to this topic

#1 Romulan

Romulan

• 325 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 18:14

“It’s nothing personal,” said Vettel.

Asked how he can deal so coolly with such a potentially emotional issue, he explained: “I’ve learned that I can’t please everyone."

F1Zone

I hope anyone wishing to stand on a podium takes these words to heart.  If your job requires 100% of your focus, you can't let the noise get into your head.

Advertisement

#2 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 18:17

To be fair, he is right. The only truly stupid quote in that article was from Niki Lauda.

#3 Romulan

Romulan

• 325 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 18:25

To be fair, he is right. The only truly stupid quote in that article was from Niki Lauda.

To say the least, I found Niki Lauda's statement 'interesting'.

#4 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,209 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 18:31

Niki Lauda is in a much better position to do something about the boredom than I am  :cat:

#5 JSDSKI

JSDSKI

• 1,439 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 18:34

Reasons for booing, in order: 

1) Malaysia (truly amped up after that)

2) Mindless crowd reinforcement (now its become "something to do with your mates") and a join-in phenomenon

It will all fade away soon enough. 

Edited by JSDSKI, 27 September 2013 - 18:40.

#6 Romulan

Romulan

• 325 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 18:43

Reasons for booing, in order:  Malaysia (truly amped up after that)

The point I will argue is not the reasons for said booing, but how quickly Vettel adapts to adversity.

#7 OccasionalCommenter

OccasionalCommenter

• 89 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 18:43

2) Mindless crowd reinforcement (now its become "something to do with your mates") and a join-in phenomenon

Crowd was booing him loudly in Australia, when he finished third.

#8 Exb

Exb

• 3,961 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 18:52

According to Joe Saward he thinks its all down to Malaysia and doesn't seem impressed at Vettel attacking the crowd over booing him.

http://joesaward.wor...ject-of-booing/

I personally think Vettel has handled it well as it can't be nice whatever the reason.

#9 Romulan

Romulan

• 325 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 18:53

Crowd was booing him loudly in Australia, when he finished third.

A racing crowd is not a single entity.

#10 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 18:55

Are people STILL going on about Malaysia?!

Geez...it happened ages ago. Just move on and get over it!

#11 Romulan

Romulan

• 325 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 18:59

According to Joe Saward he thinks its all down to Malaysia and doesn't seem impressed at Vettel attacking the crowd over booing him.

I personally think Vettel has handled it well as it can't be nice whatever the reason.

One ingredient in the recipe for success.

#12 LewDaMan

LewDaMan

• 263 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 19:13

Vettel and Red Bull have handled this terribly. Not even once do they seem to have considered their own contribution to making Vettel unpopular.

As such, blaming the fans (laughably and hopelessly  speculating that it's one group of fans travelling from GP to GP) makes them more unpopular still and in the process ensured that the booing is not going away any time soon. The only options Vettel and Red Bull had were to a) ignore it and keep quiet or b) simply say that it's up to the fans if that's how they feel. That way they'd have not blown the whole booing episode out of all proportion and if anything, they'd have probably gained sympathy from non-booing F1 fans.

Yet it always seems with Red Bull that if anything displeases them then the whole world has to hear about it. They're very "nouveau riche" in that way. Plenty of money but very little class. Or you can look it another way, both Vettel and Red Bull are surprisingly bad when it comes to PR. And from a company that is concerned with promoting a young and hip image, that's incredible. Red Bull would have made themselves immensely popular had they employed either Hamilton or Alonso when both have been flashing plenty of thigh in Red Bull's direction. In short, it would have been a PR coup and they could have told the F1 world: "We listen to the fans. We're giving them what they want to see."

Another thing Vettel and Red Bull should have considered is that there is plenty of history of booing in F1. Brazilian fans can be very vocal towards any driver who competes against a WDC-chasing Brazilian driver e.g Mansell/Prost in Senna's era, Hamilton in 2008 when against Massa and Button in 2009 when against Barrichello. In fact, some Brazilian fans have been known to pelt drivers with objects thrown from the stands.

And to really put things in perspective for Red Bull and Vettel, Damon Hill received death threats before the German GP in 1995. Yes, death threats. All of this reaction to a bit of booing is pathetic. Truly pathetic. An already unpopular team and driver have just made things worse for themselves.

Edited by LewDaMan, 27 September 2013 - 19:44.

#13 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 1,427 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 19:40

The Dieter Rencken article today has this ludicrous paragraph where he says the FIA should do something about the booing. Er, what?! Does he want them arrested or something?

"Such sporting superiority, be it down to driver, car or a combination of both, should be revered not jeered. It is simply unacceptable, and should be actioned by the sport's authorities ASAP."

#14 P123

P123

• 23,968 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 19:48

Vettel handles the booing a lot better than the majority of the over-reacting F1 press and some of the people on this forum.

#15 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 19:50

Are people STILL going on about Malaysia?!

Geez...it happened ages ago. Just move on and get over it!

By that same logic, we should not talk about Senna vs Prost, Schumi vs Mika or anything that happened over 6 months ago. 

Get a grip, people are going to discuss it for years to come it was a highly debatable issue. This comes for a man who does not really have a strong opinion on the incident himself, but I understand why others do.

#16 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 19:53

The Dieter Rencken article today has this ludicrous paragraph where he says the FIA should do something about the booing. Er, what?! Does he want them arrested or something?

"Such sporting superiority, be it down to driver, car or a combination of both, should be revered not jeered. It is simply unacceptable, and should be actioned by the sport's authorities ASAP."

Well he's far from alone. Many of those involved in the paddock and media clearly think it's wearing very thin now; not only is it disrespectful to Vettel, but increasingly everyone else, including the interviewer and those at home trying to hear them talking.

#17 P123

P123

• 23,968 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 19:55

Well he's far from alone. Many of those involved in the paddock and media clearly think it's wearing very thin now; not only is it disrespectful to Vettel, but increasingly everyone else, including the interviewer and those at home trying to hear them talking. 

The simple solution is to stop the podium interviews.  The interaction with the crowd gives certain elements a direct opportunity to respond, and obviously depending on who is up there and where they are in the world it won't always be cheering.  The more the F1 press prattle on about the minority who are doing it the longer it remains an issue as they are simply promoting this as the latest hot topic in F1.  You aren't going to get everybody to keep their emotions in check at a sporting event.

#18 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 19:59

Agree entirely. I never liked it even before the booing furore; it seemed a gimicky change for change sake that often didn't result it such good questions or answers as the old version.

#19 Romulan

Romulan

• 325 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 20:02

Richter: "There's just been a very serious penetration into our WOPR Execution Order file."

Advertisement

#20 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 20:03

Agree with both him and especially Lauda. 

#21 TheManAlive

TheManAlive

• 2,800 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 20:08

I agree that they should get rid of the podium interviews. They are pointless drivel with silly questions asked most of the time and the majority of the answers are the drivers thanking the fans as opposed to actually discussing the race. Get rid of the interviews and the chance for booing will lessen.

The reason the media fixated on the booing so much at Singapore was due to there being very little else to actually talk about with regards Vettel's race. Yes he and the car were very impressive, fast and walked it but that does not make for a new an interesting topic for after race dissection. Talking endlessly about booing was far more interesting for them.

#22 Lucass

Lucass

• 121 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 20:11

And as so often Dieter Rencken is right FIA & FOM should and surely will do something about it.

Stop the -silly- podium interviews and/or keep the boo-trash -and unfortunately the proper F1 fans- away from the podium.

Vettel is handling it more than fine but it's good that Red Bull, many in the paddock and the media are making a big thing out of it.

This way it can't be ignored and will be dealt with. :up:

#23 Romulan

Romulan

• 325 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 20:14

The award ceremony was not designed as a place for fans to vent their frustrations.  The owner(s) of Formula 1 should act to de-WWF the podium.

Edited by Romulan, 27 September 2013 - 20:31.

#24 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 20:24

They brought the podium ceremonies on live tv to give the show an aspect of track reality.

Track/arena reality is that you will hear cheering but you will also hear jeering. You cant have your cake and it too.

If you dont want fans expressing their emotions about the show or performers you put in front of them then move the interviews back to the conference rooms.

Edited by fabr68, 27 September 2013 - 20:26.

#25 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 20:29

And to really put things in perspective for Red Bull and Vettel, Damon Hill received death threats before the German GP in 1995. Yes, death threats. All of this reaction to a bit of booing is pathetic. Truly pathetic.

It's at least partially down to a lack of interesting stories or scandals in F1 right now. The WDC is almost over, the Kimi deal is done, so there is not much to write about at the moment (at least nothing attracting lots of readers).

#26 Romulan

Romulan

• 325 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 20:29

Vettel and Red Bull have handled this terribly. Not even once do they seem to have considered their own contribution to making Vettel unpopular.

As such, blaming the fans (laughably and hopelessly  speculating that it's one group of fans travelling from GP to GP) makes them more unpopular still and in the process ensured that the booing is not going away any time soon. The only options Vettel and Red Bull had were to a) ignore it and keep quiet or b) simply say that it's up to the fans if that's how they feel. That way they'd have not blown the whole booing episode out of all proportion and if anything, they'd have probably gained sympathy from non-booing F1 fans.

Yet it always seems with Red Bull that if anything displeases them then the whole world has to hear about it. They're very "nouveau riche" in that way. Plenty of money but very little class. Or you can look it another way, both Vettel and Red Bull are surprisingly bad when it comes to PR. And from a company that is concerned with promoting a young and hip image, that's incredible. Red Bull would have made themselves immensely popular had they employed either Hamilton or Alonso when both have been flashing plenty of thigh in Red Bull's direction. In short, it would have been a PR coup and they could have told the F1 world: "We listen to the fans. We're giving them what they want to see."

Another thing Vettel and Red Bull should have considered is that there is plenty of history of booing in F1. Brazilian fans can be very vocal towards any driver who competes against a WDC-chasing Brazilian driver e.g Mansell/Prost in Senna's era, Hamilton in 2008 when against Massa and Button in 2009 when against Barrichello. In fact, some Brazilian fans have been known to pelt drivers with objects thrown from the stands.

And to really put things in perspective for Red Bull and Vettel, Damon Hill received death threats before the German GP in 1995. Yes, death threats. All of this reaction to a bit of booing is pathetic. Truly pathetic. An already unpopular team and driver have just made things worse for themselves.

When your competitors are looking for an advantage on and off the track -- it's important for Red Bull and Vettel to frame the argument.

#27 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,515 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 21:00

When your competitors are looking for an advantage on and off the track -- it's important for Red Bull and Vettel to frame the argument.

Red Bull and Vettel are just not very good at verbalizing then. I think he booking is stupid, and I bracket all who does this in the same group as the morons who want to hear themselves yelling "mashed potatoe" during a Golf Telecast.

I do not think that Malaysia is the reason for the booing, I would rather hang with Vettel than Webber any day, I think the booing is more against Red Bull than Vettle, for the reason that Rencken writes in his article. Vettel's suggestion of a traveling group of booers will only mean there will be more booking coming.

Red Bull and Vettel should say nothing, and when ever a question was asked should have taken the higher road. There is a problem in how Red Bull approach the media and general public, where on occasion they leave the impression that they see all of us as bumbling idiots, that is as far as I see it a much bigger reason than any for the booking.

:cool:

#28 skc

skc

• 1,748 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 22:19

Just by the way, Red Bull and Vettel aren't the ones moaning about the booing. The press keeps asking them about it, so they answer. The idea that Vettel is "attacking" the booers is asinine.

#29 Romulan

Romulan

• 325 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 22:32

Red Bull and Vettel are just not very good at verbalizing then. I think he booking is stupid, and I bracket all who does this in the same group as the morons who want to hear themselves yelling "mashed potatoe" during a Golf Telecast.

I do not think that Malaysia is the reason for the booing, I would rather hang with Vettel than Webber any day, I think the booing is more against Red Bull than Vettle, for the reason that Rencken writes in his article. Vettel's suggestion of a traveling group of booers will only mean there will be more booking coming.

Red Bull and Vettel should say nothing, and when ever a question was asked should have taken the higher road. There is a problem in how Red Bull approach the media and general public, where on occasion they leave the impression that they see all of us as bumbling idiots, that is as far as I see it a much bigger reason than any for the booking.

:cool:

In today's instant global market of opinion, it is wise to put out brush fires before they become forest fires.  If you don't take charge of the problem, you leave your opponents to do as they wish.

If I was Red Bull's public relations officer, my memo would read: Team Red Bull says nothing, Horner says he doesn't like booing and Vettel says it doesn't bother him.  All Red Bull employees should reiterate Vettel's last statement everyday, or until such time as people tire of asking.

#30 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 1,132 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:00

The reason for the booing as far as I can see is that Vettel simply isn't all that popular amoungst F1 fans, it would seem. Sure, he has his fans no-one is denying that but he just isn't all that liked on the whole.

#31 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:19

Cutting the podium interviews won't change anything because they will still be on the podium, they will boo when he receives his trophy anyway.

#32 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 583 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:42

A few  things:

1. Joe Saward is a moron.  He uses his blog as an attacking tool against drivers who are not of his liking, but he doesn't allow second opinions on the subject.  He is so insecure of himself that, more than once, he has ended up closing comments on his blog, deleting post, or simply attacking its users. 

2. Malaysia? Really? The whole problem with Malaysia is that it was Vettel who did it. Had it been the other way around (Webber attacking,Vettel and passing him) we would be talking about it as "good Webber for the Sport, team orders suck! Racers should be allowed to race, not asked to protect their teammates" etc, etc. 

3. Attacking the fans? He made what was clearly a joke (the travelling around, very wealthy european fans comment), and he seems to doesn't care.  He will continue to win (probably even more than 4 titles, no matter how bad that pisses off people like Mr. Saward) and he will continue to have a healthy sleep at night despite the boos of a handful. 

4. The really hypocritical thing with this is how the press was ignoring the issue until it became "a fashion" (i.e. you boo vettel in the podium, regardless of...) and now are coming with make-up excuses.  Vettel was winning, Hamilton and Alonso were not. The press has been overselling the point about "it is all his car, not him" to the point a lot of average joes who go to races have bought it, and don't celebrate an "average" driver winning with the "awesome" car (however, how many P2 in the WDC has Webber got with the same car?).  What the press has not been able to admit is that Vettel hasn't had the best car by a mile for a generous chunk of this season (or last season for that matter), yet he is the one currently on top; and when he had the amazing car (2011) he dominated to above Schumacher standards (and yet, where did Webber finished that season?).  If the media were to take its real position, and present how ridiculously good the kid is, the whole point of "it is only the car, let's boo him" will start to fade away.

#33 03011969

• 656 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:46

Vettel is simply the pantomime villain in a season that's become predictable, combined with 3 previous years of success and the Malaysia incident with the much-loved Webber.

Malaysia may have been Vettel's fault, but that alone would not bring about the booing, and one can hardly blame Vettel for trying, and largely succeeding, in winning every race.

Is the booing poor form from the crowd? Probably. But it some ways it's nice to see some passion and emotion from the F1 crowd, which often seems relatively sterile (and I've been to multiple F1 races around the world) compared with some other sports.

#34 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:05

Yawn... This booing is just a new silly gimmick, and will evantually be used for the next driver winning too often.

It shouldn't be getting all this attention and trying to tie it up with Malaysia, although I believe what Vettel did there was right and enjoyable to watch. :smoking:

In Monza it was worse for non-Ferrari drivers on the podium, and the only reason why this booing is blowing out of proportion is because of internet opinion flooding social media.

#35 Melchiot

Melchiot

• 377 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:38

I'm not sure they booed him when he won in Bahrain( tho i might be wrong)

It seems to me that it all started in Canada and the media making a fuss about it didnt help either.

#36 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,337 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:03

It will all fade away soon enough. 

Why do people still think this booing is still about Malaysia :rolleyes:

I'm not sure they booed him when he won in Bahrain( tho i might be wrong)

It seems to me that it all started in Canada and the media making a fuss about it didnt help either.

No wonder, there's no crowd in Bahrain :)

Edited by DutchQuicksilver, 28 September 2013 - 11:05.

#37 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:39

Why do people still think this booing is still about Malaysia :rolleyes:

Just to be clear...

Are you saying it was never about Malaysia?

Or that it was but it isn't now?

#38 Winter98

Winter98

• 638 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:40

A few  things:

1. Joe Saward is a moron.  He uses his blog as an attacking tool against drivers who are not of his liking, but he doesn't allow second opinions on the subject.  He is so insecure of himself that, more than once, he has ended up closing comments on his blog, deleting post, or simply attacking its users. 

2. Malaysia? Really? The whole problem with Malaysia is that it was Vettel who did it. Had it been the other way around (Webber attacking,Vettel and passing him) we would be talking about it as "good Webber for the Sport, team orders suck! Racers should be allowed to race, not asked to protect their teammates" etc, etc. 

3. Attacking the fans? He made what was clearly a joke (the travelling around, very wealthy european fans comment), and he seems to doesn't care.  He will continue to win (probably even more than 4 titles, no matter how bad that pisses off people like Mr. Saward) and he will continue to have a healthy sleep at night despite the boos of a handful. 

4. The really hypocritical thing with this is how the press was ignoring the issue until it became "a fashion" (i.e. you boo vettel in the podium, regardless of...) and now are coming with make-up excuses.  Vettel was winning, Hamilton and Alonso were not. The press has been overselling the point about "it is all his car, not him" to the point a lot of average joes who go to races have bought it, and don't celebrate an "average" driver winning with the "awesome" car (however, how many P2 in the WDC has Webber got with the same car?).  What the press has not been able to admit is that Vettel hasn't had the best car by a mile for a generous chunk of this season (or last season for that matter), yet he is the one currently on top; and when he had the amazing car (2011) he dominated to above Schumacher standards (and yet, where did Webber finished that season?).  If the media were to take its real position, and present how ridiculously good the kid is, the whole point of "it is only the car, let's boo him" will start to fade away.

Great post.   :up:

#39 flaviob

flaviob

• 18 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:20

Yeah, he ignored a team order, as reigning world champion, in the SECOND RACE OF THE SEASON, to let a slower guy win, who tried to push him into the wall at the final race of the previous season in order to ruin Vettel's championship bid. And a guy who even has ignored team orders himself multiple times before.

Oh, what an ungrateful bastard that guy Vettel is. People are so right to boo him for that lack of love for Webber. He really should have gifted that win to Webber as a thanks to all the great support he received from him.

If you're for one moment objective about that "incident" then you'll see that this was the only logical and right thing for Vettel to do. But people who hate him anyway will just use it as an excuse for their booing.

Advertisement

#40 mtojay

mtojay

• 179 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:31

Cutting the podium interviews won't change anything because they will still be on the podium, they will boo when he receives his trophy anyway.

you wouldnt hear it that loud. simply because of the fact that people are quiet when there are interviews, they have to stop cheering to listen to the interviews. if there is a group of 10-15 people booing in an interview you hear it. but in the ceremonie people cheer, the boo boys surely would still boo, but the cheering would be louder.  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

so yes, it would actually change a lot.

#41 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:46

By that same logic, we should not talk about Senna vs Prost, Schumi vs Mika or anything that happened over 6 months ago. 

Get a grip, people are going to discuss it for years to come it was a highly debatable issue. This comes for a man who does not really have a strong opinion on the incident himself, but I understand why others do.

The crucial difference there though is that Prost isn't booed by fans whenever he appears at a race. People MOVED on.

Likewise, people don't boo Lewis for lying to the stewards in 2009, or boo Alonso for winning the crashgate race or the German GP in 2010 etc. Fans didn't boo Schumacher at races in the last few seasons because of what happened between him and Damon Hill or Jacques Villeneuve donkey's years ago.

Perfectly acceptable to talk about an incident long after it has happened, but I just find it amazing that people could be so uptight about it. As stated, if people want to boo Vettel, surely they should be booing others equally loudly for far worse things they have done than simply ignoring a team order. I don't know about you, but I find lying to the stewards or winning a fixed race or whatever are as equally boo-worthy and villainous. Just applying the same logic as you...

Let it go, and if for some reason you are incapable of letting it go, then who's problem is that? Not Vettel's. 

Edited by JHSingo, 28 September 2013 - 12:51.

#42 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,472 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:57

Alot of people including Red Bull have to ignore that Vettel just does not have a likeable attitude. They have to look far for all kinds of reason they might think causes this. But you see it straight in the selfish way he celebrates and his overall attitude. Acting like a snotty-nosed brat just doesnt come across well. Vettel just is not loved like the other greats of the sport. He has no class, and people sense that.

#43 REDalert

REDalert

• 671 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 13:10

There is a place for booing, its when somebody does something wrong, like Seb at "multi 21" case.

That unnecessary booing takes away the whole idea of booing. When driver has a good car and do everything as he should, or even better, thats not place to boo..

#44 flaviob

flaviob

• 18 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 13:15

Alot of people including Red Bull have to ignore that Vettel just does not have a likeable attitude. They have to look far for all kinds of reason they might think causes this. But you see it straight in the selfish way he celebrates and his overall attitude. Acting like a snotty-nosed brat just doesnt come across well. Vettel just is not loved like the other greats of the sport. He has no class, and people sense that.

OMG, "the selfish way he celebrates"??? He's the guy who always applauds the work of the team at the end of a race.

That's in stark difference to another guy on the grid who says:

"When I'm winning it's me - When I'm losing it's the car"

#45 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 13:16

Drivers like Vettel or Alonso will throw the toys out of the pram if things don't go their way.  They are super competitive and used to being treated a certain way.  Being treated this way, makes them perform better.  It pushes them to a higher level.

They will say or do anything to achieve this.  And then the rest is just about managing PR.  That's why I think it's silly to over analyse any quotes about them.  They aren't politicians that are competiting to be elected by the public.. they are racing drivers trying to win.

#46 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 14:25

The crucial difference there though is that Prost isn't booed by fans whenever he appears at a race. People MOVED on.

Likewise, people don't boo Lewis for lying to the stewards in 2009, or boo Alonso for winning the crashgate race or the German GP in 2010 etc. Fans didn't boo Schumacher at races in the last few seasons because of what happened between him and Damon Hill or Jacques Villeneuve donkey's years ago.

Perfectly acceptable to talk about an incident long after it has happened, but I just find it amazing that people could be so uptight about it. As stated, if people want to boo Vettel, surely they should be booing others equally loudly for far worse things they have done than simply ignoring a team order. I don't know about you, but I find lying to the stewards or winning a fixed race or whatever are as equally boo-worthy and villainous. Just applying the same logic as you...

Let it go, and if for some reason you are incapable of letting it go, then who's problem is that? Not Vettel's. 

If you are saying "let it go" to myself, then you did not read my post. I said I have no strong opinion on Multi 21.

You are assuming Multi-21 is the sole reason Vettel gets booed, which I think it is not, there are lots of various reasons. Whilst it is true that to judge Vettel on that one incident is a double standard compared to other driver transgressions, some people will just not "let it go" when it comes to Multi 21.

The same applies to some of Schumacher's or Senna's actions that people still hold against them, the only difference is they did not get demonized as much in public by booing. In short, to me and you Multi 21 is a storm in a teacup, but to others it is not, we can not expect everyone to have the same standards.

#47 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,472 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 14:56

OMG, "the selfish way he celebrates"??? He's the guy who always applauds the work of the team at the end of a race.

That's in stark difference to another guy on the grid who says:

"When I'm winning it's me - When I'm losing it's the car"

You see it in his body language after a win. Its all about me me me with his finger whacking. The way he sticks his finger into the camera is the opposite of cool or stylish, his body language looks quite ******** to be frank. Look at the way other drivers celebrate, from the past to the present. If Button wins, Hamilton wins, Alonso, Massa or drivers of the past... The way they celebrate is with everybody and they let you feel you can celebrate with them. Pure joy, you are welcomed to be happy for them. But the way Vettel celebrates he makes it all about him, theres nothing to celebrate with him, he is celebrating for himself only. Then its the way he talks down on other drivers and teams with no respect or any class, its what he gives is what he gets back. This will follow him for the rest of the career, you cant teach good style. You either have it or not.

Edited by Kucki, 28 September 2013 - 15:00.

#48 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,961 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 15:05

It never ceases to amaze me how many people are clearly insulted or whatever by a finger. Laughable. :rolleyes:

#49 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 15:14

You see it in his body language after a win. Its all about me me me with his finger whacking. The way he sticks his finger into the camera is the opposite of cool or stylish, his body language looks quite ******** to be frank. Look at the way other drivers celebrate, from the past to the present. If Button wins, Hamilton wins, Alonso, Massa or drivers of the past... The way they celebrate is with everybody and they let you feel you can celebrate with them. Pure joy, you are welcomed to be happy for them. But the way Vettel celebrates he makes it all about him, theres nothing to celebrate with him, he is celebrating for himself only. Then its the way he talks down on other drivers and teams with no respect or any class, its what he gives is what he gets back. This will follow him for the rest of the career, you cant teach good style. You either have it or not.

You must hate Hamilton then, and loathe Alonso and Kimi, since they've all slotted into one or more of your above crimes in the past.

#50 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,472 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 15:25

You must hate Hamilton then, and loathe Alonso and Kimi, since they've all slotted into one or more of your above crimes in the past.

I dont hate anybody celebrity or everyday person. Vettels story would actually have a great positive shine about him. The way he was seen with Schumacher on Kart photos or posters of him as a kid. Growing up in the Schumacher era watching, admiring his success, like him coming in early immediately fast as a young man in big F1. Then winning in a slower car like the Toro Rosso, as Schumacher surprised in the Benetton. Racing Schumacher himself, and actually starting to put his own era on top of all these other great drivers. People love a winner usually.

Edited by Kucki, 28 September 2013 - 15:27.