“Headland Engineering” - Ted Headland

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CDCJ

CDCJ

• 49 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 16:16

Hi all,

Does anyone know “HEADLAND ENGINEERING” history? I heard from my friend as follows:

Ted Headland, once had workshops in London before relocating to Southampton and used to do a lot of development work on many racing cars of the 50's/60's. His involvement with the Lotus twincam started from the outset. Keith Duckworth (of Cosworth fame) who had a major hand in the development used to work for a time with Ted. Ted was also well known for his own Headland Carburetors. Please tell me know if you have more information or nice site on web. I’m study about various Lotus twin cam engine at that time.

Thank you.

Hiro :)

Advertisement

#2 spagroo

spagroo

• 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 16:32

Hi,
I just stumbled on this searching for any info on my (late) friend Ted Headland. You wont find very much I'm afraid, no brochure's or the like. I can tell you that amongst other things he made his own flat slide carbs and held a patent on one for the 1950's. He was a proper engineer, at one time did work for the Chequred Flag (Chiswick?) with the Gemini FJ. He had premises in Southampton (Merryoak I think) at one time but was working from the rear of his house in when I knew him. I can provide lots more info but not sure of what use. He was a wiz with engines and had a Mk1 Lotus cortina which he modified.

Best regards,

John

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 21:35

Thanks for coming along, John...

I have no doubt you can add some interesting information here, I hope others can prompt your memories.

#4 PJGD

PJGD

• 143 posts

Posted 03 August 2023 - 02:41

The carburettor patent mentioned above would be GB804529A, filed in 1956 and published in 1958.

#5 Rupertlt1

Rupertlt1

• 3,038 posts

Posted 03 August 2023 - 04:09

Headland Carburettors was the entrant for an Elva at the 1957 Brighton Speed Trials. Driver H. M. Gadsby.

The car was well off the pace in the 1100 c.c. sports car class.

RGDS RLT

Edited by Rupertlt1, 03 August 2023 - 05:38.

#6 CDCJ

CDCJ

• 49 posts

Posted 03 August 2023 - 12:30

Hi John, Hello from Japan!

Thank you for finding my post from 2013 and providing the information. I owned a 1964 Lotus Cortina MK1 and was interested in the Lotus Twin Cam engine tuners and engineers of the time. I had a "HEADLAND ENGINEERING" twin cam cover and was looking for information on it, but could not find any pics or documentation so far. From the information you have given us I am very interested in Chequered Flag Racing (Gemini) and especially Lotus Cortina. Did he tune Lotus twincam engines for racing teams etc.? I would be happy to know further details if you know. It would also be useful for future generations to have the information recorded on this site.

Best regards,

Hiro  :yawnface: