* * * * * 1 votes

Korean GP build up

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#1 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,726 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 17:29

Not got all the fancy details like track maps etc, but thought I'd mention that tropical storm Fitow is at risk of hitting the track on Sunday and by then could have developed into a typhoon. Important to epmhasise that there's NO guarantee it'll hit at all, and if it does, it may hit Monday rather than Sunday, but it's certainly a risk (obviously if it does hit and it ends up as a typhoon which it may do, and if it's a direct hit at the wrong time, then it's entirely possible that the race may be cancelled, as obviously a direct hit would likely mean damage, therefore no Monday race (plus Japan is the week after, so again, no chance of a Monday race).

The only way around it I can think of, if it was forecast to hit and cause severe damage on the Sunday, would be to basically totally change the Saturday schedule and have FP3, quali and the race all on the same day, albeit unlikely I know. Anyway, impossible to predict what'll happen at this stage, as proven by Suzuka 2004 where the track was expected to take a direct hit up to a few hours before the scheduled hit (hence the track being closed on the Saturday) and it changing course late on meaning Suzuka got away lightly in comparison to what could've happened. Sunday is the only day at risk of the tropical storm, Friday and Saturday should be ok. Worth keeping an eye on though, as it obviously has the potential to have serious implications.

Advertisement

#2 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 17:31

way tooo early  :o

#3 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 17:35

There's always someone before a GP weekend who says rain is expected!

and (nearly) every time it it warm and sunny on race day

As for the race, I hope it goes like the last 3 and at least the crowd will be lower than at most club meetings in the UK, the booing on the podium will be inaudible. The track has a good mix of straights, fast and slow corners so will be interesting to see who goes well on different parts of the track

#4 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,771 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 17:37

worst signature ever. 

#5 Crossmax

Crossmax

• 1,334 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 17:39

It will be interesting to see if RBR chooses an Abu Dhabi-like approach for Webber, and keep their normal one for Vettel. Should they do it, it will be interesting to see the difference in ultimate pace between the two philosophies.

#6 st99

st99

• 385 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 18:24

It would be perfect if we had a full wet race. This track is not the most entertaining of the calendar and some rain could animate a little the weekend.

#7 Anderis

Anderis

• 7,392 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 18:37

It would be perfect if we had a full wet race. This track is not the most entertaining of the calendar and some rain could animate a little the weekend.

It's hillarious how many wet qualifying sessions we had this season (it was 5, wasn't it?) and not a single wet race. This is crazy considering the fact that there is more chance for rain to appear at some point of the race than qualifying, since the race is longer.

I would welcome a wet race then.

#8 steferrari

steferrari

• 1,580 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 18:45

Alonso win, Vettel DNF, -35. Asd.gif

#9 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 18:54

Chef's Corner

794ddcc59a748fa389b1be11930dd49e350d265f

Bon appetit! 

#10 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 18:56

There isn't much to be decided anymore unless disaster strikes repeatedly... It's almost like F1 fast fowarded from the summer break to friendly meetings before winter. Or something.

#11 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,949 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 20:52

Who's going to win the race for drivers who aren't called Sebastian Vettel this time then? I guess Fernando Alonso's a good bet. :p

#12 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 21:13

Chef's Corner

Bon appetit! 

I dug a sandwhich out of my locker at the end of 8th grade that looked a bit like that. You know you've been neglecting your locker when something that was alive becomes dead to be your food and then alive again to run away at the end of the semester.

#13 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,312 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 21:19

According to James Allen, RBR will have big advantage in S1 and S3. 

So yeah, there's that. 

#14 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 21:21

He's really going out on a limb there.

#15 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 21:32

I dug a sandwhich out of my locker at the end of 8th grade that looked a bit like that. You know you've been neglecting your locker when something that was alive becomes dead to be your food and then alive again to run away at the end of the semester.

http://www.thetimes....icle3563331.ece

#16 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 21:41

See, when I was fighting that sammich I really did feel like I was at the Korean GP, until I realized that my lunch was dead when it was given to me.

#17 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,625 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 22:58

Two big Asia races this weekend.
Fuji WEC
Korea F1

I put WEC first for a reason.

Edited by TomNokoe, 30 September 2013 - 22:58.

#18 Raven8

Raven8

• 705 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 23:28

DoN't think i'll watch it, if it''s RBR dominance again

#19 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 00:39

Not got all the fancy details like track maps etc, but thought I'd mention that tropical storm Fitow is at risk of hitting the track on Sunday and by then could have developed into a typhoon. Important to epmhasise that there's NO guarantee it'll hit at all, and if it does, it may hit Monday rather than Sunday, but it's certainly a risk (obviously if it does hit and it ends up as a typhoon which it may do, and if it's a direct hit at the wrong time, then it's entirely possible that the race may be cancelled, as obviously a direct hit would likely mean damage, therefore no Monday race (plus Japan is the week after, so again, no chance of a Monday race).

The only way around it I can think of, if it was forecast to hit and cause severe damage on the Sunday, would be to basically totally change the Saturday schedule and have FP3, quali and the race all on the same day, albeit unlikely I know. Anyway, impossible to predict what'll happen at this stage, as proven by Suzuka 2004 where the track was expected to take a direct hit up to a few hours before the scheduled hit (hence the track being closed on the Saturday) and it changing course late on meaning Suzuka got away lightly in comparison to what could've happened. Sunday is the only day at risk of the tropical storm, Friday and Saturday should be ok. Worth keeping an eye on though, as it obviously has the potential to have serious implications.

Stray typhoons like Fitow are nothing special this time of year. There are always couple of typhoons lurking around the equatorial pacific in summer and autumn, and they go everywhere, from Philippine to Vietnam to Taiwan to Japan to middle pacific. There's no way you can tell exactly which way it goes and how strong it will be. I dont know which agency is making such prediction like if it'll hit it may hit mon rather than sun, but that's obviously going way too far. Certainly there are patterns but can make accurate prediction only for the next couple days. Also typhoons in general are alot less likely to hit Korea, as even if it comes north, it tends to make an east turn and travel somewhat along the Japan main island, esp in autumn. 

In other words, typhoon has always been risk factor for Japan GP for the last 25 years or so, and other asian gps as well. Some typhoons travel very slowly and can affect one region for more than 1 days. Just last month typhoon hit Japan, it wasnt strong one and travelled relatively fast but still caused heavy rain for 2 days in several area. Whole Suzuka GP weekend washed away and cancelled by typhoon strike is realistic risk, as it's just a matter of timing. If F1 race at Suzuka continues for another 10 years, 20 years or 50 years or more, it will happen someday   ;)

Advertisement

#20 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:16

worst signature ever. 

Au contraire, zee best signature ever :D

#21 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:17

What about Gamera ?  :p  :love:

#22 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:29

I hope Vettel laps the whole damn field. Why not?

#23 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,618 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:42

Vettel by whatever gap he wants.

#24 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,519 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:48

I'd like to see a 2010nish washout... But it won't happen.

#25 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:13

Lol. I'm not gonna bother watching TBH....... Because Finger Boy is just going to spank everyone like a ginger stepchild. Not worth getting up that early for.

I may watch the re-run if something spectacular happens........

#26 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 588 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:30

It's a great track after the first sector. That's what I can say about it.

I can remember a lot of good fights from there.

EDIT: Wasn't it here in 2010 when they were driving behind the safety-car because of the rain and while others were whining in the radio: "It's too wet to drive...", Hamilton told to radio: "What do they expect? It's a wet race..." That was a funny moment lol

Edited by Miggeex, 01 October 2013 - 09:35.

#27 Gallivant

Gallivant

• 8 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:39

DoN't think i'll watch it, if it''s RBR dominance again

You won't know unless you watch it!

#28 Raven8

Raven8

• 705 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:03

You won't know unless you watch it!

I can watch a replay if it would really be worth watching

#29 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:06

a lot of untr00 F1 fans :rolleyes:

#30 Raven8

Raven8

• 705 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:08

What the hell is untr00

#31 xman

xman

• 853 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:10

Of course I will watch it. I just forget Vettel is in the lead. Luckily the director knows that it's boring to show the leading car when he's got a 30 seconds gap behind him. So we get to see the midfield pack racing eachother, just like Singapore. I think it was exciting at times though.

I hope we will see some rain this time.

#32 Racer3

Racer3

• 425 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:11

I can watch a replay if it would really be worth watching

Seems like a selective perception of reality... :lol:

#33 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:21

Nah.

I just live on the other side of the planet....... and I don't fancy getting up with the house burglars to watch what will be a repeat of Singapore at the front of the grid.

#34 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:27

Chef's Corner

Bon appetit! 

I kinda want to pet it.  Looks soft.

#35 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:30

Two big Asia races this weekend.
Fuji WEC
Korea F1

I put WEC first for a reason.

Isn't the WEC race on the 20th, which is in two weeks time?

I agree that it'll probably prove far more entertaining than anything the Korean track can cook up, but it seems we'll have to wait a little while longer to see it!  ;)

hYUKm7R.jpg

Edited by Nonesuch, 01 October 2013 - 10:33.

#36 muramasa

muramasa

• 8,479 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:31

What the hell is untr00

from time to time i see this word used in all those forums and comment sections, and altho i dont really know exactly what the hell it is, from context i thought it's a slang that mean "(not) loyal or faithful", and came from "true". Just easy guess. I could be completely wrong tho :lol:

#37 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,726 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:34

EDIT: Wasn't it here in 2010 when they were driving behind the safety-car because of the rain and while others were whining in the radio: "It's too wet to drive...", Hamilton told to radio: "What do they expect? It's a wet race..." That was a funny moment lol

Yep, you're right, he was saying it was good to go, everyone else was "it's too wet, I can't see (er, what do you expect if you're behind another car in the rain?), it's too slippy, there's too many puddles, there's too much standing water" etc.

#38 Antonov

Antonov

• 603 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:35

our only hope for an explosive race lies with the neighbouring North.

#39 Raven8

Raven8

• 705 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:53

from time to time i see this word used in all those forums and comment sections, and altho i dont really know exactly what the hell it is, from context i thought it's a slang that mean "(not) loyal or faithful", and came from "true". Just easy guess. I could be completely wrong tho :lol:

ok

Advertisement

#40 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,746 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:01

It will be interesting to see if RBR chooses an Abu Dhabi-like approach for Webber, and keep their normal one for Vettel. Should they do it, it will be interesting to see the difference in ultimate pace between the two philosophies.

Care to expand on that a little?

#41 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:13

1. Vettel, 2.-3. Alonso/Webber.

#42 Crossmax

Crossmax

• 1,334 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:17

I meant that given that Webber will be starting the race P11 at best (more realistically P13-15), will RBR choose to run a skinnier wing and longer gears to help him clear traffic (like they did with Seb in Abu Dhabi), or will they stick to their normal approach with relatively short ratios and a lower top speed? They have had plenty of time to run simulations of the various configurations, so (unlike Abu Dhabi) they can start with this setup already in FP1 and refine it throughout the weekend.

#43 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,949 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:39

I'd like to see a 2010nish washout... But it won't happen.

Yes, because getting up at 7am on a Sunday for a red flag and a lengthy delay was a tonne of fun, wasn't it?  ;)

#44 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:47

I predict the same guys on the podium as in Singapore, with Räikkönen 2nd and Alonso 3rd.

#45 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:52

Oh I forgot Webber has a grid penalty. So another standard 4th or 5th place for him.

#46 mangeliiito

mangeliiito

• 1,039 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:07

Chef's Corner
Bon appetit!

Apparantly they have learned to throw away things now, fantastic!

#47 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,746 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 13:30

I meant that given that Webber will be starting the race P11 at best (more realistically P13-15), will RBR choose to run a skinnier wing and longer gears to help him clear traffic (like they did with Seb in Abu Dhabi), or will they stick to their normal approach with relatively short ratios and a lower top speed? They have had plenty of time to run simulations of the various configurations, so (unlike Abu Dhabi) they can start with this setup already in FP1 and refine it throughout the weekend.

Aaah, precisely. I'd forgotten about his penalty. Interesting, but I guess they should do as they did last year - worked so well then.

#48 Juggles

Juggles

• 902 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 15:00

That attitude pretty much sums up why I'm his fan. Everyone else was arguing that the track was undriveable while Hamilton popped up every now and then with "it's fine" or "it's almost intermediates." He was right too; I'm pretty sure it was only a couple of laps after the restart that they came in for inters. Malaysia 2012 was even more embarrassing: they kept the safety car out because apparently the conditions were so poor but then on the same lap as the safety car went in half the field flooded into the pits for inters.

I'm so desperate for a proper wet race, i.e. full wet tyres for the entire race, but the margins are so narrow now it's almost impossible.

That said, I've resolved not to even think about wet races after the disappointments of Spa and Monza. I'm not going to look at a weather forecast all week.

I feel like Korea and F1 in general is owed a non-Vettel victory but sadly I don't think he'll be in the mood to oblige. At least we know Webber will get a fantastic start given he's in the midfield.

#49 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 16:14

It's a great track after the first sector. That's what I can say about it.

I can remember a lot of good fights from there.

it wasn't as simple was it??? IIRC, due to the newly laid track surface, the surface didn't disperse water properly, it clinged onto the surface. this was perhaps due to uncured tar/oil on the surface, typical of newly laid tarmac. from TV broadcast, the cars looked like diving on a lake, and the sprays were horrible as well. 

_51515694_webber466.jpg

#50 Neolew

Neolew

• 67 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 16:24

Isn't the WEC race on the 20th, which is in two weeks time?

I agree that it'll probably prove far more entertaining than anything the Korean track can cook up, but it seems we'll have to wait a little while longer to see it!  ;)

hYUKm7R.jpg

Korea GP is the worst race on the calendar and Vettel is going to cruise to another predictable win for Newey GP...

I miss Fuji GP. I wish the awful borefest Korean gp would be dropped and the race moved across the sea of Japan to Fuji raceway instead, the 2007-2008 races there was great! Japan last held 2 races 1994-1995 the Pacific GP at Okayama International Circuit and Japanese GP at Suzuka.

The only reason the race is still held in south korea because south korean company LG is a huge technical partner and pays a lot of money for its excessive On screen branding and the south korean gov government subsidize the snoozefest [at a loss of $36m last year] for 'nation branding' purposes.

This is precisely what's wrong with modern formula 1 culture

My predictions for the 2013 korean gp  -

The Circuit still looks is located in the middle of an unfinished construction project.. 

gdya.jpg,

There will be the customary mention of PSY and the gangnam, not such a rich deep culture if the first thing people think of south korea is a goofy manufactured youtube dance craze....

Most of the seats in the stands will be empty, The track thanks to poor construction will probably break up again and sabotage someones race similar to Lewis in 2012....

owud.jpgnsc6.jpg

Edited by Neolew, 01 October 2013 - 16:27.