Vesuvius

• 5,799 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 19:14

Hoping for Hulkenberg to Lotus.

#53 sock22

sock22

• 403 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 19:22

It seems a no brainer for me. Massa out at Ferrari and Raikkonen/Hulkenberg in at Ferrari/Lotus in either order depending on who Ferrari decide to take on. With that change I think we would have the right ten drivers in the top five teams next year, with the jury out on Perez and Grosjean depending on their performances next season.

#54 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,041 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 19:34

what about mclaren? 

Can't see why when they've got Perez, who is not only just as good but comes with commercial opportunities as well.

I'd like to see him at Ferrari, Massa has overextended his welcome by now. As long as he gets a fair opportunity of course.

#55 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,227 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 23:02

Can't see why when they've got Perez, who is not only just as good but comes with commercial opportunities as well.

I think a lot of people would disagree that Perez is as good as Hulkenberg. 

#56 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,204 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:23

+1  :up:

#57 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,612 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:51

Why is Kobayashi being talked about?

Oh right, muramasa is posting.

Hulkenberg is deserving of a top seat, but his issue is he never seems to have the money to get a shot. You can only demand a large salary without bringing cash if you're a champion.

Realistically Ferrari is the only ride that doesn't need you to bring cash. And Massa has inexplicably held onto that seat for 4 years without showing any race winning form.

Lotus may take him if Kimi departs for Ferrari and Alonso stays, but would Alonso stay in those circumstances?

Edited by Buttoneer, 09 September 2013 - 10:35.
Please don't accuse people of trolling - report the posts and let us sort it

#58 HP

HP

• 14,197 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:04

It seems a no brainer for me. Massa out at Ferrari and Raikkonen/Hulkenberg in at Ferrari/Lotus in either order depending on who Ferrari decide to take on. With that change I think we would have the right ten drivers in the top five teams next year, with the jury out on Perez and Grosjean depending on their performances next season.

Well Grosjean either didn't deliver as expected, or Lotus can't build 2 top cars. IMO a bit of both. But if Lotus can't build 2 equal top cars, then Hulk might be worse off than at Sauber, since I'd expect Grosjean to get preference.

#59 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,204 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:21

it seems Hulkenberg to Lotus rumors may hit a stumbling block if the latest rumors have some truth in it.

http://www.motorspor...lonso-to-lotus/

Bild newspaper said it could coincide with  (alonso to LotusF1) a ramping up of works Renault support for the Enstone based team, backed fully by the French carmaker's chairman Carlos Ghosn.

When asked about that potentially explosive news, Lotus team boss Eric Boullier said: "If Fernando knocks on my door, I will answer it.

"I just hope that I can pay for it!"

He is also quoted by f1news.ru: "We are trying to establish a relationship with Renault and Total, which is important from a technical standpoint but it also may help on the financial side."

Switzerland’s Blick newspaper reported that Nico Hulkenberg will definitely not be staying at Sauber next year.

now if renault and Total both increases sponsorship, it's more than likely that Grosjean's seat is secured with the team. and if the news about Alonso even has an ounce of possiblity into it, then  game over for hulk. it may even not be alonso either, perhaps jules bianchi or pastor maldonado can replace kimi as well. also according to Massa, he has options aswell. 

Advertisement

#60 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,893 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:33

Back to FI?

#61 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:41

Well Grosjean either didn't deliver as expected, or Lotus can't build 2 top cars. IMO a bit of both. But if Lotus can't build 2 equal top cars, then Hulk might be worse off than at Sauber, since I'd expect Grosjean to get preference.

well if Lotus can decide between Alonso + Hulk and Alonso + Grosjean. Then I would take 1st (ofc if whole Santander + Alonso package might be true)

#62 EthanM

EthanM

• 2,104 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:49

I don't think Grosjean will move from Lotus. The Hulk will either a) go to Ferrari if Alonso leaves b) go to Lotus if Raikkonen leaves and partners Alonso at Ferrari or c) move sideways in the midfield, maybe to FI

IMO it would be a shame if he can't find a frontline drive, and I still find it incredible Red Bull didn't (apparently) even consider him as a Webber replacement. Between Ricciardo and the Hulk I would choose the latter any day of the week.

#63 Kobasmashi

Kobasmashi

• 330 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:57

Because after Singapore, when Hamilton announced his decision to leave, Di Resta was leading Hulk 44 points - 31 points. That's hardly 'crushing' his teammate. Imo, you're a bit harsh on Di Resta as it was a pretty close teammate battle until the final few races.

It's a 19/20 race championship. That's like saying Hamilton was pretty dominant in 2007 until China and it wasn't fair that Kimi beat him (I know that's a bit of an obtuse example). Hülkenberg really stepped it up at the end of 2012, and the poor bloke must have thought he'd done a great job earning himself a move to, then best of the rest, Sauber.

#64 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,365 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:00

The choice for Riccardio is partly political. RB couldn't skip his junior team again. Talents are running away from them due to the lack of promotion.

I find the Alonso switch hard to believe. He needs to buy of his Ferrari contract first. And why woukd Renault pay for Alonso, but not for Kimi? Or was Kimi given the same guarantee last year and it didn't pan out. Hulkenberg is switching to often for comfort. As a team owner I wouldn't want a driver who is constantly jumping ship (forced or not). Dark horse is McLaren. Why are the waiting with the Button contract?

#65 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,227 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:02

Anyways, teams like McLaren, Red Bull and Ferrari all are very much financially capable of providing seats on pure merit.   

#66 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:06

I don't think Grosjean will move from Lotus. The Hulk will either a) go to Ferrari if Alonso leaves b) go to Lotus if Raikkonen leaves and partners Alonso at Ferrari or c) move sideways in the midfield, maybe to FI

IMO it would be a shame if he can't find a frontline drive, and I still find it incredible Red Bull didn't (apparently) even consider him as a Webber replacement. Between Ricciardo and the Hulk I would choose the latter any day of the week.

well I disagree with hulk over ricciardo.

Both are really good, Ricciardo showed it also with his whole season performance.

#67 apoka

apoka

• 3,487 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:36

My feeling is that he will end up at Lotus. RB is set, McLaren probably won't change, Merc won't change, Fer are likely to have Alonso+Kimi. That leaves Lotus as best team with a seat available and Hulk probably the most promising driver outside of the top 4 teams. However, with the financial worries at Lotus, that could again not be a long term home for him. In addition, Lotus doesn't have a good recent track record of supporting the careers of their drivers - Kimi being the exception, but he already arrived as a proven world champion. I don't really see a straightforward career path for the Hulk at the moment.

Edited by apoka, 09 September 2013 - 08:50.

#68 v@sh

v@sh

• 709 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:46

Ditto, I think he will go to Lotus if he doesn't get the Ferrari seat. As long as he gets in one of those seats I think we've got the right drivers in all the top seats next year (Ricciardo included).

#69 froggy22

froggy22

• 795 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:25

i'm talking about peoples reaction.

Take Brundle for example, he praise hulk blindly and unconditionally for rare good race, not so spectacular actually in a car that matched Monza, while he NEVER ever showed such level of attitude to Perez and Kobayashi last year. Kobayashi had several 4th and 5th in more spectaclar fashion but he nor fans took no notice of them. In fact Brundle was obviously grumpy when Kobayashi was on podium at Suzuka last year, he was even teasing and wishing JB would catch Kobayashi.

I hope Hulk will get good seat too. But not at the expense of drivers like Kobayashi who showed and proved his worth more and better.

Brundle is Kobayashi's number 1 fan. :rotfl: , he loves all of Kamui's overtakes. And he rates Perez highly too. He was always praising the 2 of them. Kamui is also highly thought of in the paddock, Ferrari even took him to race for them in their GT car, how often do you see that, an F1 driver thought highly enough to become a part of a team. anyway lets not bring Kamui into this, he's not gonna be on the grid next year, as much as it pains me to say it. I and many many others would love to have him back, but it doesnt look like its gonna happen anytime soon.

Anyway Hulkenberg, to me its looking like he will be going to Lotus, i think Kimi has got the Ferrari drive. Who his partner at Lotus will be is another queston, Maldonado rumours seem to be getting stronger

#70 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,251 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:37

Please stop discussing Kobayashi.  The thread is about Hulkenberg.

#71 grunge

grunge

• 4,266 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:01

As far as Lotus is concerned,rumors about them signing Maldanado for his money are getting serious now..Maybe the financial situation means they cant afford Hulkenberg who wont bring in any sponsor money...

But he said in his last interview that he did have ''options'' for next year..so im hopeful he can land himself a decent seat..Aside from an outside shot at Ferrari,Id be happy with either of Lotus and FI

Edited by grunge, 09 September 2013 - 11:02.

#72 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 1,473 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:05

Fantastic weekend for Nico. He's on equal points with Ricciardo and 1 point behind Perez. If those two can get a top seat then surely this guy should as well. I am hoping Kimi goes to Ferrari, and I hope Hulkenberg will take the Lotus seat.

He's 1 point behind Ricciardo.

#73 grunge

grunge

• 4,266 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:40

The Ultimate Worrier wrote

I like Hulkenberg, but I worry if he moves to Lotus or somewhere he's going to make another wrong decision. I get the impression that he might end up like Alesi - incredible talent but wrong decisions in hindsight - or like Webber and end up in a phenomenal team towards the end of his career.

That's a bit unfair, Brundle absolutely loves Hulk. He's been singing his praises for a good while now. 

Because after Singapore, when Hamilton announced his decision to leave, Di Resta was leading Hulk 44 points - 31 points. That's hardly 'crushing' his teammate. Imo, you're a bit harsh on Di Resta as it was a pretty close teammate battle until the final few races.

Well the praise for Hulk is well deserved as i feel his immaculate career record thus far justifies his hype..His man-love for DiResta though is completely subjective because how exactly has the Brit set the world on fire till yet?..as Brundle would have us believe.

Beaten by Sutil 42-27

Beaten by Hulk 60-43

So whats all the fuss about?

I used the word crushed because the end season scores were 63 and 40...That is a very handsome margin considering they were driving for a Mid field team..Also when you consider Nico had 3 non finishes due to no fault of his own while DiResta had only 1.

The head to head Quali record may show they were more or less equal yet anyone whos watched the season knows that wasnt the case..DiResta had no answer for Nico's raw speed..something that is well translated into their head to head Q3 lap times over the whole season..Hulk was 2 and a half tenths faster than DiResta on average.

Edited by grunge, 09 September 2013 - 11:46.

#74 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 807 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:55

It's a 19/20 race championship. That's like saying Hamilton was pretty dominant in 2007 until China and it wasn't fair that Kimi beat him (I know that's a bit of an obtuse example). Hülkenberg really stepped it up at the end of 2012, and the poor bloke must have thought he'd done a great job earning himself a move to, then best of the rest, Sauber.

He did have a good end of season, although you missed the point of what was said.

Hulk's 2012 season,beating the Brit by a handsome margin proves that point.So if DiResta's name can be mentioned again and again in the Press when Mclaren were about to sign Hamilton's replacement i wonder what more does poor Hulkenberg need to do to prove he deserves a chance too, ahead of the likes of Perez and DiResta.

After Singapore, Di Resta was leading Hulk in the points tally 44 - 31, which was why his name was 'mentioned again and again in the Press when Mclaren were about to sign Hamilton's replacement'.  The following races had no factor in deciding who claimed the vacant seat, as Hamilton leaving and Perez joining was a done deal before the next grand prix in Japan. It's easy to see why McLaren were looking at Di Resta, as he was beating his teammate when they were deciding on a new driver.

#75 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 1,160 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:01

McLaren had an opportunity for Hulkenberg last year, and they chose Perez. I see no real reason why it would be different now.

#76 bub

bub

• 2,002 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:03

Ferrari hopefully. 

Edit - Actually change that to Lotus.

Edited by bub, 09 September 2013 - 14:43.

#77 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,204 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:34

again saying, i'm really hyped for a RAI - HULK combo .... iceman hulk has a nice tone to it.  :clap:

#78 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 807 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:39

again saying, i'm really hyped for a RAI - HULK combo .... iceman hulk has a nice tone to it.  :clap:

Forget Tooned. Ferrari could do their own cartoon tie in with those two characters  :D .

#79 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,227 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 14:51

McLaren had an opportunity for Hulkenberg last year, and they chose Perez. I see no real reason why it would be different now.

And a lot of people question that decision.  McLaren fans included.

Advertisement

#80 SonJR

SonJR

• 131 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 15:25

I fear for Hülkenberg that Lotus would drop back as a team if he joins them. I just have this feeling he's a 'the only luck I have is bad luck' guy when it comes to picking teams.

#81 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,204 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 16:19

#F1 Joke I heard in Monza. If @NicoHulkenberg moves to @Lotus_F1Team - will they not pay him more than Sauber is not paying him right now?

#82 st99

st99

• 379 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 16:46

I really hope the Hulk to Lotus rumours are true, he's very talented and it's time for him to finally have a chanceat a top team.

#83 BRG

BRG

• 11,447 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 18:29

I really hope the Hulk to Lotus rumours are true, he's very talented and it's time for him to finally have a chanceat a top team.

I suspect that the F1 establishment aren't so sure.  He is just another moderately promising young driver, they are two a penny. 

#84 l8apex

l8apex

• 198 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 18:52

McLaren should snatch him and it doesn't really matters who has to leave. He seems clearly at least on par with Button and better than Perez.

That would be a bold move, one that  Whitmarsh would never likely do.

He will probably end up at either Ferrari, Lotus or Force India.

#85 OSX

OSX

• 4,174 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 18:54

Lotus.

#86 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 21:05

If Briatore by latest silly rumour returns to... Lotus... would he take the Hulk?

#87 POLLATRON

POLLATRON

• 27 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 21:08

From my point of view, there are only 2 optioms:

- If Kimi goes to Ferrari-> he will replace Kimi at Renault

- If Kimi does not go to Ferrari-> he will take Massa's seat

Edited by POLLATRON, 09 September 2013 - 21:08.

#88 Kobasmashi

Kobasmashi

• 330 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 22:35

Wouldn't it be funny if he left Force India, who had money problems, for Sauber, only for them to run into money problems and for Hulk to leave them end up at Lotus, who have money problems.

#89 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,058 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 22:37

Is Hulkenberg the new Frentzen? Joins Prost, team goes bust. Joins Arrows, team goes bust.

#90 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 22:53

Wouldn't it be funny if he left Force India, who had money problems, for Sauber, only for them to run into money problems and for Hulk to leave them end up at Lotus, who have money problems.

And Williams  :(

#91 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 1,473 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:32

+1  :up:

+2

Perez is flat out ordinary. 

#92 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 1,473 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:33

Yeah i'm not sure i'd be running to Lotus if I was Hulk. With Allison leaving I think they're going to fall off. 

The Bennetton/Lotus/Renault team seems to get good in 2 year cycles, 1994 and 1995, 2005 and 2006 and 2012 and 2013. 

#93 apoka

apoka

• 3,487 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:12

And Williams  :(

Exactly. Williams, Force India, Sauber and possibly soon Lotus all have/had money problems and the Hulk doesn't come with big sponsorship. It's far from certain that Lotus will still be a top team next year (I believe McLaren will overtake them and Ferrari, Red Bull, Merc will stay ahead). I think he'll only be able to show his potential in a financially stable team, but all those seats are taken (if Kimi moves to Ferrari). His best chance is to keep driving well to fill a vacant top team seat in 2015/16.

#94 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,058 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:00

Yeah i'm not sure i'd be running to Lotus if I was Hulk. With Allison leaving I think they're going to fall off. 

The Bennetton/Lotus/Renault team seems to get good in 2 year cycles, 1994 and 1995, 2005 and 2006 and 2012 and 2013. 

But at the moment they're more in the "win 1 GP per year" sort of competitiveness that they were in 1992 and 1993, and 2003 and 2004, so if the pattern holds, championships in 2014 and 2015. :smoking:

#95 fastwriter

fastwriter

• 173 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:10

And a lot of people question that decision.  McLaren fans included.

Maybe with the rumoured new sponsor, they do not need Perez' Bucks anymore?

#96 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,449 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:18

I suspect that the F1 establishment aren't so sure.  He is just another moderately promising young driver, they are two a penny. 

I suspect you haven't close examined the merits of all the current promising young drivers, and stacked them up against each other. He did take a while to warm up in F1 and didn't look particularly great in his first year vs Rubens, then the first half of the season last year vs di Resta, which is what seeded the plant of doubt in a lot of people's minds. Since then he's been magnificent and more in line with his equally magnificent junior career.

There's no guarantees Hulk's a future champion, but he sure looks to me like the most likely future champion out of the bunch (ie, I rate him slightly higher than Pérez, Grosjean, Ricciardo, di Resta, Bianchi, ...).

My hunch is he's around Nico Rosberg / Jenson Button level - a tenth/lap below the very top level, but very close to it, and give him a top car he'll score wins in it if not a championship in the right circumstances.

If the Red Bull, Mercedes, McLaren and Ferrari doors are closed at the moment, he has got to go Lotus. Financial troubles and fears of incoming decline or not, they're by far the better remaining option. Just don't sign a 5 year contract with them.

#97 DS27

DS27

• 993 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:41

:up:  A Lotus is the least he deserves

#98 SonJR

SonJR

• 131 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:00

+2

Perez is flat out ordinary. 

Agreed. And yet I think his seat is safe due to ClaroVideo/Telmex, unfortunately.

Edited by SonJR, 10 September 2013 - 10:04.

#99 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:07

With Sirotkin arriving he is going nowhere. Massa most likely to keep his seat and Raikkonen will stay at Lotus.

Advertisement

#100 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,021 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:18

I think he'll probably end up at Lotus. 

If Kimi goes to Ferrari, the Hulk is set for Lotus.

Even if Lotus needs Maldonado's money, Hulk is still a safer bet than Grogro.

And even if Kimi stayed at Lotus, he'd be a better choice than Grogro.

I don't see him at Ferrari, because I am afraid that they will stick with Masse if the can't get Kimi.