Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

How can new drivers get a sweet fanbase?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 22:00

One of the most difficult challenges a driver entering Formulol One faces is to get himself a fanbase. This is difficult at the best of times for new drivers who desperately need to make a good first impression in the F1 paddock. If you're just a regular dude, it can be damn near impossible to convince the world to cheer for you instead of one of the other guys on the grid. It's easy for some drivers, who may have a reputation before F1, but for those pilots who aren't fortunate enough to have Scottish flags on their helmets or the ability to cover up a lack of personality with a mountain of ice cream, they have to start from square one. They're brand new in F1 and whether they last ten races or ten seasons, they have to win the favor of fans of the sport. (Of course, they don't really have to do this, because a lot of fans seem to think they matter to the sport a hell of a lot more than they actually do, but your F1 career is going to go a lot more smoothly if everyone likes you). No one can deny it's in your best interests to be universally loved. And even if you get a large fanbase, it may not be the one you were after. You don't want to end up like Liberace, spending 40 years as a hero to old ladies and forever asking them if their grandsons were around.

So how does a new driver make everyone like him? In this here thread, we can discuss ways that new drivers can establish a fanbase and avoid being hated by the majority of the people who watch this sport. What can a driver do when no one knows his name? What can he do when no one likes him, but already people hate him because he's taking a spot on the grid away from someone they already like?

I've thought of one thing a driver could do to make the fans love him: play a character. Don't be a boring old PR robot, be an actual robot. Nevermind that petting the bull after you win ****, get out of your car and robot walk over to the podium. Trade your champagne bottle for a can of robot oil and give your post-race interview in a robot voice. Or if you're a villainous fiend of a driver, grow a twirly moustache and be shamelessly deceitful. Talk on the radio about how you'll fend off other drivers for your teammate, and then blow past him on the last corner to victory. Do it every race like it's a new thing and twirl your moustache whilst laughing madly on the podium. A lot of men in today's world fancy themselves white knights, so if you're a new driver looking to get some fans on your side, why not go and be an actual knight? Ride a horse around the paddock, saving pit babes from Niki Lauda. This would be perfect for Sergey Sirotkin next year, who could title himself Sir Rotkin, and gallop up and down the pit lane with a sword like someone out of Game of Thrones, fighting for justice and slaying Lannisters and FIA stewards for the good of the realm. He could even save a grid girl the villainous driver tied up and left on the start/finish line. Only a heartless communist wouldn't cheer for that guy. That is how you make a good first impression on F1 fans of the world.

So what would you tell new drivers to do? What would you do in your first season of F1 to get the fans on your side?

Advertisement

#2 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 22:04

Do the Kimi: don't bother at all and just perform.

#3 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 22:36

Well they say the F1 paddock is the pihrana club, so you'd probably want to treat it like your first day in the prison cafeteria. 

Find the meanest dude on the block and punch him squaw in the smacker.

143012-britain-ecclestone-ad.jpg  

...then steal his fruit cup.

bernie-ecclestone_2234605b.jpg

Ecclestone refused to comment on the whereabouts of his fruit cup.- (Reuters) 

From that point onward everyone is either scared of you or they want to be your friend. 

But everyone respects you.  :up:

Edited by gm914, 30 September 2013 - 22:39.

#4 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 23:15

Pull off some good overtakes and good defensive moves early on your career, and you have a fanbase set for life.

It worked for Kobayashi.

#5 Farhannn15

Farhannn15

• 746 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 23:23

Like the comment above pull off some nice overtakes like Kobayashi or just be good-looking like Rosberg haha

#6 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 23:30

Earn them.

#7 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 23:53

Earn them.

I think it's "voila", not "viola".

This is a viola:

Jakes_Viola.png

Unless you're being ironic. In that case, carry on.

#8 R Soul

R Soul

• 1,639 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 00:05

These are also violas: product_4712.jpg

Hm, another way to gain a fanbase is to speak your mind. If Bahrain is like an airport, say so. If South Korea is like a building site, you know what to do. And then there are the Pirelli tyres...

One might ask why you want to be in F1 if you have so many complaints. The simple answer is that you like to drive fast cars around interesting tracks. Some criticisms could be done in an optimistic way. E.g. rather than complaining about the engine freeze, say how awesome it would be with 2000 hp.

#9 solochamp07

solochamp07

• 502 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 00:23

Pull off some good overtakes and good defensive moves early on your career, and you have a fanbase set for life.

It worked for Kobayashi.

I agree completely. It also worked for Jacques, Montoya and Lewis, to name a few. I think all these guys endeared themselves to fans, myself very much included, with the high level of combat skills they showed immediately. All came in guns blazing, putting some brazen overtakes on some pretty big names, in their first races.

Granted, the drivers I've named had better cars for their debuts than Kobayashi but I don't think it matters much in this context; I'd wager it's the moments that people remember. For example, I leapt clean out of my seat when JPM mugged MS in Brazil that year but I remember little else of the race (aside from that Verstappen thingy).

#10 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:00

Damn, I didn't think anyone would take this thread seriously. It's just a joke!

Although mercilessly divebombing everyone would be a killer idea. You don't even have to wait for Australia, you can kamikaze pass another driver waiting in line at the buffet table before FP1 in Australia. Let them know you mean business.

#11 Avastrol

Avastrol

• 445 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:14

Sirotkin to have a dual personality. Sir Jay (or Sir Gay, depending on how one pronounces his "G" sounds), and Sir Rotkin. It would culminate in both entities eventually possessing their own corporeal form, both fighting over who would actually drive the car every weekend by way of Formula Jousting (it involves 2 F1 cars heading towards each other while the two Sirs ride on its back, taxi-style, while holding a foam paddle, in an attempt to order to unseat the other jouster). The winner drives the car, the loser meets his untimely demise only to show up at the next race none the worse for wear. At the end of the season the unified Sir Gay/Rotkin will be unmasked, and it will be revealed to be none other than Michael Schumacher. "It was me all along!"

Sebastian Vettel to grow a Graham Hill-esque beard, and to go full Dick Dastardly.

#12 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:05

Tear it up in Jerez or FP as a Friday driver - and I'll collect you.

I've inherited one and collected 3 since I began watching as a mini mite.  

#13 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:25

Sex tape.

#14 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:07

Drive in Indycart

#15 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:10

mhhh.... is not that hard really.... of this years rookies

everybody likes Bottas and Bianchi cause of the potential future they have

everybody likes Gutierrez cause he is frickin adorable ! #fact

just Giedo.... mh....

#16 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:13

Just shut up and drive as fast as you can. Opening your mouth can only deter fans.

"It's a racing driver and racing drivers have tiny little brains. And therefore worthless opinions and they're very dull. Doctors call it 'Mansell's Syndrome'. Its job is simply to go out there and drive fast." - Jeremy Clarkson

Edited by Gorma, 01 October 2013 - 04:17.

#17 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:16

Opening your mouth can only deter fans.

Unless you're a confused young driver curious about what it's like to play for the other team. Then that might help you get some fans.

#18 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:39

be like robby gordon?

I think that going in and giving it everything, and looking like you are giving it 110%, you can burn the tyres off it putting on a show

you can talk and be popular, like karunepdia :-)

#19 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:49

the more secretive you are, the more X-factor you have. and the more Fans you'll have.

i remember watching speedracer when i was a kid and the best character was Racer-X,

130px-Racer_X_promotional_image.jpg

the reason kimi is so popular is cause his personal life is still a mystery to many of us (we know he likes to party, drink and moto-cross, that's pretty much it :smoking: ), he doesn't show emotion (in the paddock, on podiums, in interviews), he doesn't sugar coat his dialogs or give PR speeches, and most importantly, he doesn't try to woo anyone.  

however, drivers like kimi only comes once in a lifetime. also in this day and age, drivers have to be PR friendly, talkative, with a fake grin (i.e DR :o ). kimi was from an era when one didn't need buckets of wad to get a seat, or whoring himself in front of the media (PDR/MaxC). and by definition, once you open up too much of your personal life to the media (FB/Twitter etc), it's inevitable that you'll have haters. 

last week on the F1 show, Natalie suggested that SV should become a Twatter like FA or MW, as they are more readily available and always involves with the followers, but to me, (who doesn't have FB/Twitter acc :rolleyes: ), i don't see why SV needs to whore out his personal emotions. let him keep those to himself. let the booers boo, haters hate, trollers troll, but the history book will tell as it is, Sebastian Vettel ... one of the best WDC (if not THE best if he beats MSC's record). he needs to change nothing. 

Advertisement

#20 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:35

Go pink.  Pink helmet, matching gloves and race boots.  A hint of eyeliner and ensure he's got the best hairstyle on the track.  Don't push it too far, but give the impress he bats for the other side, but has a great 6 pack.  The gurlies will want to put him right and 'other side' will have a hero.

#21 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:31

This belongs to the charisma topic. 

Your driving on track counts a lot here, a bit of your personality is represented in your driving style.

I think Kobayashi is a good example. If you happen to race against top drivers, championship contenders hard and fair in the beginning of your career, you'll get attention. But truth is you need a car for that. Of course if you are in Marussia/Caterham it is a bit difficult to impress anyone or get fans. People may have said Bianchi has potential, but how many FANS does he really have? Barely any I have heard of.

You need to have an attractive personality and drive well/fast. BUT...

BUT the question is - how did Raikkonen get fans and Heidfeld didn't? Neither of them is exactly outspoken and both drove well from the beginning of their careers. Heidfeld matched/beat Alesi from my recollection and in 2001 both of them were still future prospects.

Was getting McLaren contract really the differentiator that boosted Kimi's fanbase? I don't remember Raikkonen being significantly more popular than Heidfeld in 2001 though I may not remember properly.

Raikkonen's popularity derives from a mix of driving well and ice-cold personality. If he was an average driver, I think most people could care less and "Heidfeld" popularity would have happened to him. Look at current Bottas. He doesn't really have fans, does he. Coz he is silent and not outspoken. Being silent works only if you are super-good at driving, then it makes you look like special - "oh look the mute guy beat the superstar (Schumacher) again, he is really incredible!" If you let your driving do the talking and you are really good at it, it makes your personality look special, because usually people do not associate modesty with success. If you are successful with modesty, then it makes you special.

Edited by sopa, 01 October 2013 - 09:35.

#22 Kobasmashi

Kobasmashi

• 734 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:40

Kimi's not just quiet though, he full on doesn't give a ****

#23 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,306 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:46

Sirotkin to have a dual personality. Sir Jay (or Sir Gay, depending on how one pronounces his "G" sounds), and Sir Rotkin. It would culminate in both entities eventually possessing their own corporeal form, both fighting over who would actually drive the car every weekend by way of Formula Jousting (it involves 2 F1 cars heading towards each other while the two Sirs ride on its back, taxi-style, while holding a foam paddle, in an attempt to order to unseat the other jouster). The winner drives the car, the loser meets his untimely demise only to show up at the next race none the worse for wear. At the end of the season the unified Sir Gay/Rotkin will be unmasked, and it will be revealed to be none other than Michael Schumacher. "It was me all along!"

Sebastian Vettel to grow a Graham Hill-esque beard, and to go full Dick Dastardly.

This is perhaps the post of the year. Wonderful stuff!  :rotfl:

#24 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:11

Kimi's not just quiet though, he full on doesn't give a ****

But you can understand this only if you are at the top of the sport and media spotlight is on you. Until then you are just a quiet guy and nobody knows about you.

What do people know about the personalities of Enrique Bernoldi and Luciano Burti, who debuted around the time of Kimi? I don't think really anything, because they got lost in midfield and didn't stand out.

However, if you are a top driver, then due to media attention people will get to know about the details of your personality and you become sort of "family member" for F1 fans, because they either know or think they know much. It may sound odd, but Vettel is also sort of a family member of F1 fans - just he plays the role of a spoilt kid or Dick Dastardly in the eyes of F1 fans, so he is not a likable family member. :D

So to become popular you have two options - be a very good racing driver, which opens the doors of top teams and leads you to title challenges, which in turn leads to media attention regardless of who you are. If Paul di Resta was a top driver and beat Vettel to the WDC, I am sure he would have fans regardless of people thinking he does not have any personality. Think of Moto GP. Stoner was something similar, yet had lots of fans, because his riding was superb.

Other option is to simply have an attractive driving style, which endares fans and you can stand out even in midfield. Both Kobayashi and Sato had some following despite being in midfield. If your driving skills don't enable you to get above midfield, then getting fans needs some charisma.

Edited by sopa, 01 October 2013 - 10:16.

#25 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:20

Just race, and if possible, unlap himself and pull away from the leader, and be ready to get smacked afterwards. Worked for Irvine on his first race.

#26 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:24

mhhh.... is not that hard really.... of this years rookies

everybody likes Bottas and Bianchi cause of the potential future they have

everybody likes Gutierrez cause he is frickin adorable ! #fact

just Giedo.... mh....

Liking and being a FAN is different. You can like many drivers, but is he your first choice? Like it is said that in Premier League Newcastle United is "everyone's" second favourite team. But doesn't make them THE most popular.

I am sure many people like Heikki Kovalainen, because he is a nice and friendly chap. However, how many FANS did he have? Did he have people vehemently defending him on BB boards? Did he have 100+ page discussion topics? Is his fanbase anywhere near the one of top drivers or was he just another likable guy on the grid, whose disappearance hasn't made much of a difference?

#27 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:44

It largely depends on someone's likability and charisma and your own character, just like the process of how you can become friends with someone. 

Then it's about being yourself, be open and honest. Use social media for fans more than for friends. Rosberg's video blogs are quite awesome, although it hasn't made me a fan, but I can imagine it could potentially help people become fans.

Also, it's about leaving out the negative stuff. Di Resta isn't helping himself with his presence in the press on many weekends. 

And then you simply have to be good. Get more out of your chances than your teammate. Give a fan hope that you can achieve a lot. It's hard to become a fan of someone who doesn't show much promise, as a fan you want to share the joy of success and that potential has to be there.

#28 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:35

To go out of your way trying to obtain a fan base suggests it's contrived and exactly the opposite of what's required in my opinion... you're not there to be everyone's best friend!

#29 Junky

Junky

• 815 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:40

I don't know, but giving his way to be, I would bet in Felix da Costa as somebody appreciate by the F1 fans. 

But of course, at the end of day it's also all the results. At least in the beginning of their careers.

#30 Moosed

Moosed

• 84 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:05

It worked for Kobayashi.

what percentage of those kobayashi "fans" do you think watch him in WEC now ? i'll be its around 1% and thats probably being generous.

#31 Moosed

Moosed

• 84 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:07

the answer is simple, you win a proper long lasting fanbase by being in a top team and racing at the front of the grid... its like any other sport, competing near the top brings your more press/coverage and thus more exposure and ultimately a giant influx of glory hunters who then become the core demopgrahic of your fanbase.

#32 mangeliiito

mangeliiito

• 1,039 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:18

Tie your PR lady to a post (for Sir Rotkin to rescue) and say whatever the hell you want!

#33 Overtax

Overtax

• 19 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 13:01

Being born in one of the bigger countries will help alot aswel.

#34 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 14:08

Being born in one of the bigger countries will help alot aswel.

narain karthikeyan - india

vitaly petrov - russia 

scott speed - USA 

they beg to differ  :p

#35 Juggles

Juggles

• 902 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 14:17

Pastor Maldonado - from time to time he is called Jaws because of his braces and ability to attack people out of nowhere. He should play up to this image by switching his helmet for an aerodynamic sharkhead mask. Not only will he look more attractive, he will improve airflow around the car and attract thousands of the 'Street Sharks' generation to his cause (seriously, did anyone else watch this show, I have literally never found another human being who did?).

Paul di Resta - he only has one chance: play the Scottish card, play it again, and play it until he is killing English people in the street. He needs to show up to the paddock on Thursday in a kilt and sporran, ideally with a claymore on his back. He'll need to complain slightly more than he does now but I'm sure he'll rise to the challenge. He should also donate half his salary to 'the Yes campaign' and burn the other half just because the notes say Bank of England on them. This will almost certainly guarantee him victory in BBC Sports Personality of the Year and possibly the X Factor as well.

Christian Horner - not a driver but I feel he needs advice more than anyone. He is widely mocked for being Bernie Ecclestone's lapdog. Why not play to that? Follow Bernie around at all times until it becomes really, really awkward. Stand behind him in every interview, carry around a boombox playing a reading of the last rites on repeat, perhaps even start dressing as the Grim Reaper. He already randomly appears in Bernie's holiday snaps, but take it to the next level. When Bernie is enjoying an evening in with Fabiana, Christian should try to insert himself into the mix. He's no male model but I'm sure she'll be thrilled to spend time with a man who doesn't have a saggy anus for a face.

Charles Pic - I'm not a miracle worker.

On a slightly more macabre note, the honest answer to the question is probably "take Sebastian Vettel out of every race from now until the end of the season."

#36 Kobasmashi

Kobasmashi

• 734 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 17:00

Tie your PR lady to a post (for Sir Rotkin to rescue) and say whatever the hell you want!

I can see Sir Rotkin being the next Ceiling Vitaly and Webber face  :clap:

#37 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:06

Or get yourself a twitter account and start performing better over there than in the car.

https://twitter.com/takiinoue

(seriously, the guy is hilarious)

#38 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,826 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:57

Graham Hill sported a 'tache not a beard:

Graham_Hill_4.gif

If you want a driver with a beard to emulate, Harald Ertl is your man:

tumblr_inline_mthr4stRKF1qan6a4.jpg

#39 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:04

Win, but don't win too much. 

Advertisement

#40 wonk123

wonk123

• 1,658 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:20

If Vettel grew a mo like Graham Hill's and if he ever gets beaten again was to say in the press conference "Drat, double drat, and triple drat" then I would be a fan for life

#41 finignig

finignig

• 386 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:39

Pastor Maldonado - from time to time he is called Jaws because of his braces and ability to attack people out of nowhere. He should play up to this image by switching his helmet for an aerodynamic sharkhead mask. Not only will he look more attractive, he will improve airflow around the car and attract thousands of the 'Street Sharks' generation to his cause (seriously, did anyone else watch this show, I have literally never found another human being who did?).

I have, although dubbed in Arabic  :drunk:

Edited by finignig, 03 October 2013 - 09:40.

#42 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 588 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:58

- Well, get to a team and replace some big name who has been beaten by your new, and his old team-mate. Then beat that team-mate or at least do well against him. (Kimi replacing Mika and doing very well against Coulthard, or Massa replacing Barrichello and doing well against Schumacher in those circumstances.)

- Take a fight against the most successful driver/drivers on the grid at that moment. (Kimi and Alonso fighting Schumacher and then Hamilton fighting Alonso, Kimi and Massa)

- Drive in legendary teams.

- Be a part of a close WDC-battle.

- Learn from your mistakes.

- Have some sort of fairy tale story of your route to Formula 1 ( :lol:  well that's true!)

- Be part of ups and downs. 

- Have charisma/interesting personality. You either have it or not.

And the last thing: Formula 1 + any form of racing is all about winning. Not about being happy for having 1 point no matter in which team you drive...

Edited by Miggeex, 03 October 2013 - 10:01.

#43 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:43

Not to be too macabre about it but - walk away from an enourmous crash. A surprising number of people I know who are very casual watchers of F1 seemed to know about Kubica's crash in Canada '07. For races after they knew about him.