* * * - - 4 votes

Rosberg: "Vettel should think less about my balls and mind his own business"

• Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#1 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 14:36

(Sorry if already posted or inappropriate for a separate thread)

http://www.spiegel.d...e-a-925946.html

Rosberg hits back on Vettel after Seb's comment that he and his team are working harder while others "are hanging their balls in the pool".

Nico

- "My guys are working so hard, day and night. Sebastian can't even know if his team is working harder. We are doing everything we can, this remark was a bit arrogant. Sebastian should care less about my balls and rather mind his own business."

- "With such statements he risks losing the respect of the other drivers. I will also talk to him personally about this."

- "Sebastian is incurring the booing himself. If he talks about how I'm hanging my balls into the pool, then there are also such boos. This manner almost backfired when I almost stole his pole position in the last race".

Well somebody's obviously pissed off. I also thought Vettel's comment was a bit daft, but he probably just wanted to express that his whole team is really working hard and not necessarily that others are lazy, which is what he also said when he tried to relativise his earlier comment:

Vettel:
-"I didn't want to say something against others but to show that our success is not coming by chance. We are one of the most hardworking teams".

Thoughts?

Edited by Jovanotti, 03 October 2013 - 14:43.

Advertisement

#2 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 14:38

Vettel's comment was funnier.

Vettel - 1

Rosberg - 0

#3 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 14:40

I agree with Nico all the way. There's no doubt that all of the teams are busting their asses to try and catch Red Bull. Effort can only get you so far, you need the technical talent as well. Red Bull has that in droves.

#4 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 14:46

I agree with Nico all the way. There's no doubt that all of the teams are busting their asses to try and catch Red Bull. Effort can only get you so far, you need the technical talent as well. Red Bull has that in droves.

To be frank, "working hard" doesn't mean quantity but quality. You can work "your asses off" 24/7, but if there is little result, there is little point in it.

You can dig a hole, but accidentally throw the earth back into the hole you were digging. Superficially it looks like you worked a lot, because you put in a lot of effort, but work result is zero. From practical point of view you didn't do any work at all, even if it looks like effort was top-notch.

#5 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 14:48

I see why Rosberg has taken offense.

I have read reports that Nico has worked his balls off this year with fitness and simulator work, really stepped everything up in order to improve his performance and try and match Lewis. Its nice to see a bit of fire in Nico, I did not have him down as the type and I thought he and Seb were good mates (they may still be, but this has obviously created a issue)

Red Bull have a clear advantage this year in overall performance, but 2014 could be a different story. Merc had more work to do to get there car into the elite level of cars this years, the RB was already they, RB just had to maintain and adapt a bit. Both teams I think have worked very hard, you could accuse neither of being complacent. On the other hand you could accuse Ferrari of not addressing their one lap pace which hurts their qualifying efforts.

The only downside is, this is yet another event where Vettel bashing occurs, this one is a bit more justified than others but it is getting to a point know where the guy is under such a microscope everything he does is analysed by some. I am waiting for the thread where he gets bashed for not eating his corn flakes properly!

#6 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 14:48

Much ado about nothing

#7 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 14:53

Thank goodness it wasn't Hamilton who said it OMG.

#8 skc

skc

• 1,748 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 14:53

Is there a link to Sebs original comments? He mentioned Nico by name?

#9 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 14:56

it's as we germans say Aus einer Mücke nen Elefanten machen

Changing a mosquito to an elefant.... but it's the journalists that ask the questions that lead the media in one direction...

whatever.... that drama is annoying 2012 was more enjoyable to watch cause of less drama

Edited by Sin, 03 October 2013 - 15:07.

#10 Silvercheese

Silvercheese

• 113 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 14:59

I have read reports that Nico has worked his balls off this year with fitness and simulator work, really stepped everything up in order to improve his performance and try and match Lewis. Its nice to see a bit of fire in Nico, I did not have him down as the type and I thought he and Seb were good mates (they may still be, but this has obviously created a issue)

Red Bull have a clear advantage this year in overall performance, but 2014 could be a different story. Merc had more work to do to get there car into the elite level of cars this years, the RB was already they, RB just had to maintain and adapt a bit. Both teams I think have worked very hard, you could accuse neither of being complacent. On the other hand you could accuse Ferrari of not addressing their one lap pace which hurts their qualifying efforts.

The only downside is, this is yet another event where Vettel bashing occurs, this one is a bit more justified than others but it is getting to a point know where the guy is under such a microscope everything he does is analysed by some. I am waiting for the thread where he gets bashed for not eating his corn flakes properly!

My understanding is the person who is insulted by this is just on the defensive after being called out on it because it applies to them the most.

#11 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,682 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 14:59

Vettel's comment was funnier.

Vettel - 1

Rosberg - 0

This, and Vettel's full of **** saying he wasn't trying to get a dig in. You don't have to insult others in order to praise your team.

Edited by AustinF1, 03 October 2013 - 15:26.

#12 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,682 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:00

If it's justified, then it isn't bashing.

#13 fatd

fatd

• 800 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:01

+1 as Sin said, too much drama and things blown out of proportion.

#14 Farhannn15

Farhannn15

• 746 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:08

I highly doubt this will cause Nico and Seb to argue about this. It's just an opinion that's been blown out of proportion 

#15 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:08

If it's justified, then it isn't bashing.

True, but Vettel gets a lot of bashing he does not deserve, this is just a odd occasion where he might be slightly justified. Other drivers make equally arrogant/silly comments on a regular basis though, its just that it would seem that Lewis and Seb get jumped on more.

#16 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:10

Whatever else is true, that's a great headline. :lol:

#17 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:10

My understanding is the person who is insulted by this is just on the defensive after being called out on it because it applies to them the most.

Just to be clear then, are you saying that Nico has taken offense, because he is the one most wronged by Vettel's statement? As Nico is a driver who is putting in the hard work. If so, I 100% agree

#18 OldSoldier2

OldSoldier2

• 144 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:11

Seb has his own odd sense of humor, that is all. His comments today about Red Bell's "traction control" and working extra hard on it during the Singapore weekend.

"Well, of course, as everybody witnessed it worked in Singapore. We’d been working on it all Friday and Saturday, and yes, on Sunday it worked perfectly for the first time - when it mattered. I am sure for the races to come that we will be able to enhance the system even further - to profit even more."

#19 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,419 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:12

Comments like this is why Vettel is no popular, he is also making an arrogant statement about their engine mapping in the article about the 'traction control', it may for all we know be correct, but again using a very poor choice of words saying things.

:cool:

Advertisement

#20 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,900 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:13

Comments like this is why Vettel is no popular, he is also making an arrogant statement about their engine mapping in the article about the 'traction control', it may for all we know be correct, but again using a very poor choice of words saying things.

Yep, sometimes he is too funny for his own good.

#21 fed up

fed up

• 3,692 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:14

Vettel is right, he and his team work harder than any other in the paddock. The proof is in the pudding so to speak ~ 2 seconds per lap

#22 Winter98

Winter98

• 638 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:14

A well balanced post as always.  :up:

#23 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:15

Is there a link to Sebs original comments? He mentioned Nico by name?

I'm pretty sure he didn't, at least in his original comment on the podium, i'm sure he said "others", maybe Rosberg is feeling a little guilty, either way its a none story which, unlike Vettel, probably has little traction.

#24 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:16

Vettel is right, he and his team work harder than any other in the paddock. The proof is in the pudding so to speak ~ 2 seconds per lap

I think thats the $250 million.

#25 Silvercheese

Silvercheese

• 113 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:17

Just to be clear then, are you saying that Nico has taken offense, because he is the one most wronged by Vettel's statement? As Nico is a driver who is putting in the hard work. If so, I 100% agree

In that Rosberg is in fact "lazy" (past/present) and he is on the defensive because he believes Vettel directed that jab solely at him which he didn't. He made it his business to be singled out.

People do get angry just by having their lifestyle criticized for it's obvious flaws.

Edited by Silvercheese, 03 October 2013 - 15:18.

#26 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:19

It looks like Vettel likes to take digs at people, who dislike him or in any way feel his success isn't deserved.

In the grand scheme of things it is his humour, which shouldn't be taken seriously, but for those, who find his success unfair or take it personally, it rubs extra salt to the wounds.

#27 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:21

I get what you are saying, but there is a double standard present.

Kimi who I am a fan of says and does much worse, ignoring fans and being outright rude to interviewers. Yes, I do find it amusing most of the time, but its like one is held to one standard and the other another standard. Webber also did not play team player in Brazil last year, yet Seb is demonized for Multi-21, I know they are different scenarios and 2 wrongs do not make a right, but the same principle applies.

Silvercheese - In regards to your comment, your logic makes sense, I would speculate that Rosberg has gotten defensive as Vettel's comment does overlook the work Merc and Nico himself have put in. It is possible Nico has been lazy in the past, as could have Merc. But it is hard to say they have been this year, there has been notable improvement from both car and driver. 

Edited by sennafan24, 03 October 2013 - 15:21.

#28 Silvercheese

Silvercheese

• 113 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:24

I get what you are saying, but there is a double standard present.

Kimi who I am a fan of says and does much worse, ignoring fans and being outright rude to interviewers. Yes, I do find it amusing most of the time, but its like one is held to one standard and the other another standard. Webber also did not play team player in Brazil last year, yet Seb is demonized for Multi-21, I know they are different scenarios and 2 wrongs do not make a right, but the same principle applies.

Silvercheese - In regards to your comment, your logic makes sense, I would speculate that Rosberg has gotten defensive as Vettel's comment does overlook the work Merc and Nico himself have put in. It is possible Nico has been lazy in the past, as could have Merc. But it is hard to say they have been this year, there has been notable improvement from both car and driver. 

:up:

#29 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:25

Vettel's comment reflected on the fact that they are being accused of cheating when they are working harder (more clever).

#30 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,682 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:27

Whatever else is true, that's a great headline. :lol:

Indeed.

#31 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:28

Ironically, the guy that fits Vettel's balls-comment the most would be his buddy Kimi - whom he probably tried to imitate a bit with his choice of words there, and not for the first time.

#32 Silvercheese

Silvercheese

• 113 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:31

Ironically, the guy that fits Vettel's balls-comment the most would be his buddy Kimi - whom he probably tried to imitate a bit with his choice of words there, and not for the first time.

That or Hamilton?

#33 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:37

That or Hamilton?

Don't think Hamilton has an image of being lazy, and I believe Sebastian really didn't talk about someone in particular.

#34 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,419 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:38

Of course there are double standards, have always been, will always be.

But as discussed in the booking thread, Red Bull and Vettel have a way to come across as arrogant, overbearing, better knowing and portraying all others as 'idiots'. As I wrote there, I would rather spend time with Vettel than Webber. I do see a difference in Kimi being the morose and unappealing person he is to me, and then the persona portrayed by Vettel in public, but really is the way that both Red Bull and Vettel seem unable to get themselves to actually convey sincerity and good vibrations, rather than the above mentioned arrogance. Red Bull lives from promoting a horrid fluid, and supposedly excel in working marketing magic in all their endeavors, why can they not display some of that magic in F1?

#35 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:46

This is more exciting than hoping for rain, but I don't really care.

#36 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:47

But as discussed in the booking thread, Red Bull and Vettel have a way to come across as arrogant, overbearing, better knowing and portraying all others as 'idiots'. As I wrote there, I would rather spend time with Vettel than Webber. I do see a difference in Kimi being the morose and unappealing person he is to me, and then the persona portrayed by Vettel in public, but really is the way that both Red Bull and Vettel seem unable to get themselves to actually convey sincerity and good vibrations, rather than the above mentioned arrogance. Red Bull lives from promoting a horrid fluid, and supposedly excel in working marketing magic in all their endeavors, why can they not display some of that magic in F1?

Not to everyone, of course some will only see what they want to see, and some will refuse to see what might be there in truth but in my opinion the perception of arrogance stems mostly from the fact that they're beating everybody.

Almost every pundit i've heard expressing a view attests to what a nice guy Vettel is, but when you see a ridiculous post on here claiming that Vettels salute is really him giving everyone the middle finger then its little wonder that what i consider to be a myth is propogated.

#37 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:48

I actually agree with everything you say about Red Bull. They have done a amazing job and are highly competent at what they do. But they lack a certain heart to them, they seem more like a business rather than a race team (which might be a reason for their success. They do lack a certain meaning and expression to them.

Vettel is just guilty by association, part of the dissent aimed to Vettel is due to the team he drives for I believe. I think the fans worldwide would be more kind if he was a Ferrari driver. Horner is overbearing, but I have always find Seb kind of harmless in a way. He lacks a certain aura to be overbearing, he is not like Lewis or Alonso who you could call superstars due to their magnetism.

I like Vettel, and have come round to rate him highly as a driver, but I am not a fan. I just think the bashing he gets in recent times is wholly unjustifiable, as a driver and as a human being.

#38 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,419 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:53

Not to everyone, of course some will only see what they want to see, and some will refuse to see what might be there in truth but in my opinion the perception of arrogance stems mostly from the fact that they're beating everybody.

Almost every pundit i've heard expressing a view attests to what a nice guy Vettel is, but when you see a ridiculous post on here claiming that Vettels salute is really him giving everyone the middle finger then its little wonder that what i consider to be a myth is propogated.

I repeat that I would rather spend time with Vettel than Webber, and Kimi being nasty to a journalist does not really equate to talking down on the rest of the field. Red Bull have done, and are doing an amazing job which can not be talked up enough. They are excelling for the 4th year in a row, to an extent almost unheard of in the sport, Vettel is a true great champion.

But Red Bull and Vettel choose very poor wording a lot of times, and they really should take the constant criticisms (and booing) to heart and look in the mirror.

#39 Lucass

Lucass

• 121 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 15:59

Yep, sometimes he is too funny for his own good.

That might be it although it's mostly a lack of humour of the drivers he's soundly beating and their fans.

I expect that soon he'll go in Michael Schumacher mode and avoid the -British- press as much as possible and only speak to a selected few journalists that he has an understanding with. Sabine Kehm 2.0

Funniest line this: 'This manner almost backfired when I almost stole his pole position in the last race'  :lol:  well done Nico you almost stole pole position and hey you were even in P1 for one whole corner in Singapore.

Advertisement

#40 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 16:12

Much ado about nothing

Quite. Mildy ill-judged comment, but in no way deserving of yet more Vettel vilification.

#41 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 16:13

That was a quite a cheeky remark from Vettel. Can't blame Rosberg for his reaction. If you and your team have been working your back-sides off and then get accused of being lazy, you might feel slightly offended.

#42 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 16:14

Anyone else think about Kimi in his hot tub with The Dudesons at Monaco? 

#43 krea

krea

• 2,181 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 16:17

I wish he would have showed more balls after Malaysia.

#44 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 16:20

Well somebody's obviously pissed off. I also thought Vettel's comment was a bit daft, but he probably just wanted to express that his whole team is really working hard and not necessarily that others are lazy, which is what he also said when he tried to relativise his earlier comment:

Thoughts?

and that is how you express it ?  undermining the work of the other teams.. What a stupid comment to make..

#45 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 16:21

Vettel's words are not personally directed to Rosberg. So the latter may have some doubts about his balls and therefore reacts. :)

#46 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 16:24

by the way I'm going to write a slash fanfiction about Nico and Seb now ! :o this is the kind of material for it...

and no... not really :P

Edited by Sin, 03 October 2013 - 16:24.

#47 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 16:25

Vettel is probably tired that no one yet gives him the full respect that he thinks he deserves for winning those 3 titles. He is letting out this frustration and starting to make these silly comments about his competitors, which are totally inappropriate for a champion.

Edited by discover23, 03 October 2013 - 16:25.

#48 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 16:28

Vettel's words are not personally directed to Rosberg. So the latter may have some doubts about his balls and therefore reacts. :)

Reacts ? or retracts, I know mine do when i go in a pool  :D

#49 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 16:31

So much is lost in these quotes when we don't know the context, how the comment was said, was the driver obviously joking etc.

On face value Seb's comments were fairly classless - but then I think the original quote also stated that he said the comment with a cheeky grin... so hardly a serious comment. Probably ill advised, and I'd be lying if I said I 'like' Seb, but I expect he'll grow up eventually.

Nico comes across here as slightly pompous but again I don't know the context - it isn't as if he has phoned up a journalist to give his opinion, I expect he was replying to a specific question. I do like Nico, but maybe a small injection of a sense of humour here would have seen him as the bigger man.

Anyway it isn't a huge deal. I like the idea that before each race the drivers have to cut a WWE style promo on how they are going to trash their main opponent to build heat into the rivalries. We already have  DRS, toy tyres and bizare stewarding decisions and penalties for everything, might as well go the whole hog.

#50 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 16:32

What if they take each other out in the race, we might get a Piquet vs Salazar moment.