Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Who is McLaren's new "headline" tech signing?

• Please log in to reply
325 replies to this topic

Poll: Who is McLaren's new "headline" tech signing? (161 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is McLaren's new "headline" tech signing?

1. Ross Brawn (62 votes [38.51%])

Percentage of vote: 38.51%

2. Pat Fry (10 votes [6.21%])

Percentage of vote: 6.21%

3. Bob Bell (5 votes [3.11%])

Percentage of vote: 3.11%

4. Aldo Costa (5 votes [3.11%])

Percentage of vote: 3.11%

5. Geoff Willis (4 votes [2.48%])

Percentage of vote: 2.48%

6. Rob Marshall (4 votes [2.48%])

Percentage of vote: 2.48%

7. Peter Prodromou (56 votes [34.78%])

Percentage of vote: 34.78%

8. Other - list below (13 votes [8.07%])

Percentage of vote: 8.07%

9. Rob Smedley (1 votes [0.62%])

Percentage of vote: 0.62%

10. James Key (1 votes [0.62%])

Percentage of vote: 0.62%

11. Paul Monaghan (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,105 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 22:16

Adrian Newey is not at the track this weekend, the first time ever I can remember him not going. Could be a coincidence but could also be the start of his 6 month gardening leave.

He's not at the track because they have 2013 sewn up. He's busy building rb10

Advertisement

#52 HP

HP

• 14,184 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 22:21

As SpaMaster said, getting new (or will it be old) names won't cure all problems.

Those who were the main designers of a McLaren car that won a WDC are gone, and I don't think Fry Lowe nor Newey will return anytime soon or to be frank ever.

I do think the names to look for will be of interest and good standing with Honda. That should narrow down the list a bit, but also include names that are not on the list, remembering names that were working for Honda.

(Edited major faux pas by mixing up Lowe with Fry)

Edited by HP, 05 October 2013 - 22:26.

#53 skyfolker

skyfolker

• 177 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 22:35

It wouldn't be exactly "headline",i.e. big name,but maybe it could be Mark Gillan.

#54 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,946 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 22:45

I dont know why people expects or think much of prev Honda connection, either for drivers or engineers. F1 is actually rather small circle so some people will surely end up "reuniting" with Honda, but that'll simply be because the certain persons are the best available for Macca.

If anything Honda will be most happy if Macca could somehow get people like Newey, Prodoromou, Allison, Alonso, Vettel, Lewis etc, I guess.

#55 HP

HP

• 14,184 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 23:06

Some folks mentioned Coughlan. Would either Honda or McLaren want him? Hence my comment.

In case that isn't clear enough, remember spygate and which team it was that Coughlan wanted to head to with the data, together with the guy working for red. Likewise Honda has always shown interest to work with certain engineers they esteem and even more so with drivers (altough the driver part isn't part of this topic).

#56 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 369 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:45

Why is Ross Brawn even an option here? He is a TP and why the hell would he go to another team for a demotion? Does anyone really believe he will be replacing Whitmarsh? Crazy. :rolleyes:

#57 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,254 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:08

Yes. I'm sure it is. For sure. 

Christian said he was in his office and communicating with the team via video conferencing.

#58 skyfolker

skyfolker

• 177 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:27

Adrian Newey is not at the track this weekend, the first time ever I can remember him not going. Could be a coincidence but could also be the start of his 6 month gardening leave. 

Not the first time,he was also absent from Korea 2011.

#59 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:33

Christian said he was in his office and communicating with the team via video conferencing.

Or... at the McLaren factory signing a contract.

Advertisement

#60 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 3,970 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:17

Very interested in seeing what MaCa has up it's sleeve. Honda's return I'm sure is quite appealing to many in and of itself, plus it's McLaren. Getting in a year before Honda's return and getting acquainted with the team and it's inner workings will be good for whomever is going over. Prodromou would be a great catch for MaCa, but I'm hoping he comes to Ferrari. :p

#61 Rurouni

Rurouni

• 384 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:33

No. 

That's a myth. I have no idea what Honda management think about Jenson, but at least Japan dont love Jenson.

I mean, he's not hated nor unpopular, but he's not so widely popular or even well known at all. Among current driver, probably Kimi  is the most popular driver among Japanese F1 fans in general. Maybe Vettel overtook Kimi nowadays I feel, but anyway they are close.

Not really sure where he's positioned, well I feel Alonso is actually more popular coz of Japan's big Ferrari fan base.

Among recent F1 drivers however, MS is by far the most popular and well known driver here.

Jense is one of my favourite drivers btw tho, he's cool guy and I very much appreciate his attitude of putting message to cheer Japan after 311 earthquake on top of his helmet for the whole 2011 season. :up:

I think compared to Kimi, Jenson certainly look (and probably act) more professional, thus can fit more within the Japanese work ethic and while he isn't as popular as Kimi or Vettel, he certainly more marketable to the general public. Basically Jenson is a known quantity for them. As for the other driver, I'm pretty sure they want the fastest driver and that person is definitely isn't Sergio (he is still young though). But if Honda can influence who will be in the McLaren line-up, they probably give a pretty hefty discount to McLaren or they are basically contributing big enough to McLaren finance (probably the biggest contributor... be it from the engine discount or from actually sponsoring the team) that McLaren need Honda approval for their line-up.

But right now I don't really know. Is McLaren needs Honda approval? is this big tech signing is purely McLaren initiative or driven by Honda? we don't even know who'll be the main McLaren sponsor for next year. McLaren certainly keep their lips tight about their 2014 main sponsor. What I can say is that I can't wait for 2014 in general and especially 2015 with the McLaren-Honda.

I would love if they poach someone from RB. Doesn't have to be Newey, but someone sufficiently high enough.

#62 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,434 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:04

Rob Smedley? Belongs under "technical department".

#63 GT Racing Online Magazine

GT Racing Online Magazine

• 824 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:08

If you haven't signed Adrian Newey you shouldn't try to create hype around tech dept signings, as it's likely to disappoint the large masses.

#64 jcbc3

jcbc3

• 5,055 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:04

Secondly, when he upped and left McLaren he took 16 engineers from McLaren with him. I doubt Ron would ever forgive him for that. (Source: http://www.f1fanatic.../gordon-murray/)

Did you miss this part of the interview you linked to yourself?

"

We’re eating in one of Surrey’s very few Michelin-starred restaurants, Drake’s in Ripley. Gordon has been there before, when Ron Dennis threw a birthday party for his wife Lisa a year or so back, and chooses scallops and John Dory. He prefers to drink red wine and, after careful discussion with the sommelier, selects a Rioja."

If there was bad blood, I doubt Dennis would have him at his wife's b-day party.

#65 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,843 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:18

A lot of people reject the Brawn-to-McLaren theory, but I buy it, and I think he'd be a perfect fit, with a bit of a shuffle at the top of McLaren.

#66 Kimiraikkonen

Kimiraikkonen

• 2,238 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:25

Brawn would be good for us. :up: :up:

#67 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:09

Not the first time,he was also absent from Korea 2011.

Looks like he doesn't like their food.

#68 Oldie

Oldie

• 88 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:14

Nigel Stepney? :p

Yeah I know, not really top tech guy. But good with copiers I've heard.

#69 FizzyJerk

FizzyJerk

• 332 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:58

Beckham

#70 No brain no pain

No brain no pain

• 162 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 17:56

Newey.

#71 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,469 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 20:28

I think compared to Kimi, Jenson certainly look (and probably act) more professional, thus can fit more within the Japanese work ethic and while he isn't as popular as Kimi or Vettel, he certainly more marketable to the general public. Basically Jenson is a known quantity for them. As for the other driver, I'm pretty sure they want the fastest driver and that person is definitely isn't Sergio (he is still young though). But if Honda can influence who will be in the McLaren line-up, they probably give a pretty hefty discount to McLaren or they are basically contributing big enough to McLaren finance (probably the biggest contributor... be it from the engine discount or from actually sponsoring the team) that McLaren need Honda approval for their line-up.

But right now I don't really know. Is McLaren needs Honda approval? is this big tech signing is purely McLaren initiative or driven by Honda? we don't even know who'll be the main McLaren sponsor for next year. McLaren certainly keep their lips tight about their 2014 main sponsor. What I can say is that I can't wait for 2014 in general and especially 2015 with the McLaren-Honda.

I would love if they poach someone from RB. Doesn't have to be Newey, but someone sufficiently high enough.

So basically either or both of Rob Marshall and Peter Prodomou. They're the brains behind the brains at RB.

#72 bogi

bogi

• 2,987 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 20:49

Technical director - promoted this year

Chief engineer - signed few months ago

Chef designer - almost 30 years in McLaren, probably near retireent

Principal Aerodynamicist - promoted around 2009/10

Head of aero - none from 2010/11

Fill the void...

#73 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,543 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 20:54

Beckham

You say that, but she's designed one car already.

#74 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,390 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 21:00

Looks like he doesn't like their food.

I think he was put off in 2010 when he asked a local restaurant what their food was like..... And they told him it was the "dogs bollocks". Happy days. 

By the time he'd figured it out...... the food was already down the hatch.....

#75 KingTiger

KingTiger

• 483 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 23:24

I'd like to see Vettel and Horner's faces if it was Newey. They'd drop down the grid faster than you can say "but I thought vettel was special?"

#76 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,469 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 23:37

We don't know who McLaren's title sponsor is for next year yet do we?

If it's as significant as Whitmarsh says it is, they must be getting a fair wad of cash from their new sponsor...

#77 Absulute

Absulute

• 867 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 23:46

It needs to be someone from the fizzy drinks.  That's got to be the benchmark.

#78 Knot

Knot

• 364 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 00:28

Doesn't matter who they sign or what money their sponsors bring them. As long as Whitlessmarsh is in charge, McLaren will continue to devolve.

#79 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,308 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 00:33

I'd like to see Vettel and Horner's faces if it was Newey. They'd drop down the grid faster than you can say "but I thought vettel was special?"

Yes, and it would be rather satisfying to see Jenson repeating all Vettel's achievements.

Advertisement

#80 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:33

A lot of people reject the Brawn-to-McLaren theory, but I buy it, and I think he'd be a perfect fit, with a bit of a shuffle at the top of McLaren.

Especially if that shuffle placed Michael at Left Right Out.

#81 apoka

apoka

• 3,482 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:53

Yes, and it would be rather satisfying to see Jenson repeating all Vettel's achievements.

Dream on.  :yawnface:

#82 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,180 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:50

According to Ted in his extended notebook (on the web), it could be Pat Fry , which doesn't really seems to me like 'headlining' tech signing, rater let go by ferrari  :o

#83 Woody3says

Woody3says

• 423 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:06

Brawn to leave Merc at year end, goes to Mclaren/Honda

http://bit.ly/197YEIg

@F1enigma does not think Brawn is the big signing for Mclaren. Hmm... As F1 turns!

Edited by Woody3says, 07 October 2013 - 08:33.

#84 blacksheep79

blacksheep79

• 111 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:08

german sportbild says that ross brawn will leave mercedes at the end of the year

http://sportbild.bil...t-mercedes.html

he could be one of the new guys

edit:

blacksheep79  woody3says is faster than you, do you anderstood that massage :D  

Edited by blacksheep79, 07 October 2013 - 08:10.

#85 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,454 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:10

Fascinating if he goes to McLaren. Sportbild reports Honda wants him.

#86 fpbecker

fpbecker

• 42 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:17

Adrian Newey.

#87 Woody3says

Woody3says

• 423 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:18

So could this be Honda's way of saying "Look, you TOLD us the car was good and we bailed anyway. This time we will just let you run things ok?"

Just barely blacksheep79!

#88 apoka

apoka

• 3,482 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:25

Wow

More precisely the story says that he leaves Merc and that there are rumors that he goes to McLaren Honda (it is not reported as a done deal).

#89 Youichi

Youichi

• 2,992 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:26

I think it will be Peter Prodromou, a few weeks ago when Ferrari announced they'd sign Dirk DeBeer from Lotus, a rumour was doing the rounds that Peter had handed in his notice at RedBull and was going to Lotus.

Then Lotus announced they'd signed Nicolas Hennel from Ferrari, so it's possible that Peter is off to McLaren instead of Lotus.

#90 mp4x

mp4x

• 215 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:43

If Ross Brawn joins the team the only position available is MW’s position and what is the rationale behind this? Martin Whitmarsh building all the hype about losing his own job? I don’t think so.

#91 Raven8

Raven8

• 705 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:55

If Brawn will go to mclaren it wil be double bad for Mercedes as will take all the knowlege about the 2014 Mercedes over to McLaren and give them an advantage. :well:

#92 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,389 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:05

Im sorry not even a newey produced car could make that happen :-) I really hope its newey, although im sure its not. Brawn, well he is more management, but  would bring good knowledge i quess and maybe a few good engineers. Im sorry but with alison taken, only newey would make headlines. But then again if he is looking for a new challenge. Mclaren has infact become the "small one/underdog", compared to Ferrari, Merc and RB. 

#93 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,843 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:18

Why is Ross Brawn even an option here? He is a TP and why the hell would he go to another team for a demotion? Does anyone really believe he will be replacing Whitmarsh? Crazy. :rolleyes:

I have lost count of the number of times that people have said my theories are "crazy" only to be proven right.

Incidentally, you automatically assume that he would be demoted or replace Whitmarsh. Shows you aren't really thinking this through at all. My theory is that Whitmarsh would be PROMOTED to an exec role, leaving vacant the role of heading up the race team. 

#94 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,238 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:23

James Key might be a possibility.

#95 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,389 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:37

That would be interesting also

#96 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:46

OK, this is getting VERY interesting!  :D

#97 lustigson

lustigson

• 4,749 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:15

My first thought was Newey, as well, when reading Whitmarsh's comments — that certainly would be a major tech signing.

However, should Ross Brawn be available, he would at least be a good longer-term bet. He's not in his 20s, of course, but he's not yet turned 60, I believe. He could be interesting to both McLaren and especially Honda, since they got him last time around, too.

#98 EthanM

EthanM

• 2,104 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:18

he literally just joined the extended Red Bull family, I don't see him moving yet. Maybe if Newey renews after 2015 he will start thinking about it, but for now, he has to see himself as the man to take over Newey's mantle when he retires

IMO Prodromou is the one that has plateaued at Red Bull and might be looking elsewhere. Although I think Ross Brawn via a backdoor Honda position is the more likely candidate

Edited by EthanM, 07 October 2013 - 10:19.

#99 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,270 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:30

Looks like it's Ross brawn

Advertisement

#100 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 19,931 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:48

Looks like it's Ross brawn

McLaren have denied it.

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/110425

High-level sources at McLaren have dismissed any talk that Brawn is on his way there.