Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Who is McLaren's new "headline" tech signing?

• Please log in to reply
325 replies to this topic

Poll: Who is McLaren's new "headline" tech signing? (161 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is McLaren's new "headline" tech signing?

1. Ross Brawn (62 votes [38.51%])

Percentage of vote: 38.51%

2. Pat Fry (10 votes [6.21%])

Percentage of vote: 6.21%

3. Bob Bell (5 votes [3.11%])

Percentage of vote: 3.11%

4. Aldo Costa (5 votes [3.11%])

Percentage of vote: 3.11%

5. Geoff Willis (4 votes [2.48%])

Percentage of vote: 2.48%

6. Rob Marshall (4 votes [2.48%])

Percentage of vote: 2.48%

7. Peter Prodromou (56 votes [34.78%])

Percentage of vote: 34.78%

8. Other - list below (13 votes [8.07%])

Percentage of vote: 8.07%

9. Rob Smedley (1 votes [0.62%])

Percentage of vote: 0.62%

10. James Key (1 votes [0.62%])

Percentage of vote: 0.62%

11. Paul Monaghan (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#201 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:10

McLaren says luring Red Bull aero chief Prodromou just the start

They are on fire!  :smoking:

Edited by Anonymous, 12 October 2013 - 12:11.

Advertisement

#202 mp4x

mp4x

• 220 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 13:42

Wow that’s great news. Martin Whitmarsh deserves to be acknowledged for this one. It certainly gives McLaren a very big advantage both in aerodynamics department and in negotiation with other big names. Now they are even more tempting: 
1. They are McLaren 
2. They have a top engine (Mercedes in 2014 and Honda in 2015) 
3. They are going to replace Vodafone with a big name in 2014 
4. They are months ahead of other top teams in developing their 2014 project 
5. Now they have Peter Prodromou, a top-class aerodynamicist.
Now what is missing? The technical team was constantly getting weaker and weaker and they lost some big names like Pat Fry and Paddy Lowe till they hired Matt Morris and now this guy. I hope they strengthen the technical team even more and don’t forget the big missing factor, two top drivers.

#203 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,905 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 13:51

Red Bull and other teams with money will now give their top staff golden handcuffs to make sure Mclaren can lure them away

#204 nosecone

nosecone

• 882 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 13:55

From McLaren's twitter feed;

@McLarenF1 1h

Who's rubbing shoulders with #JonathanNeale in today's FIA press conf? #JapaneseGP #F1 pic.twitter.com/SYbB6mfHPB

I don't get the point in this post (pardon tweet) if there isn't something in it

#205 Massa

Massa

• 4,379 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 13:57

Wow that’s great news. Martin Whitmarsh deserves to be acknowledged for this one. It certainly gives McLaren a very big advantage both in aerodynamics department and in negotiation with other big names. Now they are even more tempting: 
1. They are McLaren 
Now what is missing? The technical team was constantly getting weaker and weaker and they lost some big names like Pat Fry and Paddy Lowe till they hired Matt Morris and now this guy. I hope they strengthen the technical team even more and don’t forget the big missing factor, two top drivers.

Honda a top engine ? We don't know yet and why you thik they are month ahead for 2014 ? Ferrari for exemple have a team especially for the 2014 project since the start of the season :confused:

#206 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 820 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 14:00

Red Bull and other teams with money will now give their top staff golden handcuffs to make sure Mclaren can lure them away

Not everybody thinks money is the most important thing. I'm sure PP earns good money at Red Bull but perhaps he is moving to McLaren because he'll have a higher profile position.

Edited by RosannaG, 12 October 2013 - 14:02.

#207 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 820 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 14:06

I don't get the point in this post (pardon tweet) if there isn't something in it

Me either... I have no clue what they meant with that tweet. 

#208 bogi

bogi

• 3,125 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 14:28

Honda a top engine ? We don't know yet and why you thik they are month ahead for 2014 ? Ferrari for exemple have a team especially for the 2014 project since the start of the season :confused:

Aero tunnel/CFD usage is limited, McLaren abandoned MP4-28 development around Silverstone and all aero testing is going for MP4-29.

#209 Massa

Massa

• 4,379 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 14:29

Aero tunnel/CFD usage is limited, McLaren abandoned MP4-28 development around Silverstone and all aero testing is going for MP4-29.

Ok thanks :up:

#210 bogi

bogi

• 3,125 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 14:36

15394.jpg

:D

#211 BiH

BiH

• 2,337 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 15:12

so wait he won't be joining till 2015?

wtf is the point of announcing it so early.

seems like McLaren is under pressure.

#212 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,440 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 15:23

McLaren is under pressure, but early announcement might be a tactic to put pressure on RB to release early or shorten the gardening leave.

Similar happended last year with Lowe to Merc.

#213 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,829 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 15:24

McLaren is under pressure, but early announcement might be a tactic to put pressure on RB to release early or shorten the gardening leave.

Similar happended last year with Lowe to Merc.

Yeah it's likely that they want him earlier, and sought to get the pre-contract deal signed and sorted so now they can work on a release deal with RBR... I'd say it depends on how well the development of RB10 goes.

#214 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,168 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 15:30

McLaren is not under any pressure. There is not any logic behind to keep him in the team for 2014 as he will learn new secrets of Red Bull if he works. So, he will leave the team earlier than what is written on contract. I expect to see him in McLaren team kit after summer break.  :cool:

Edited by Mc_Silver, 12 October 2013 - 15:32.

#215 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,829 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 15:31

You don't think Honda are piling significant resources into the 2015 project? Honda is an engine company overall, and they place their reputation on their engines more so than their full F1 cars IMO. The key is how they implement the hybrid tech, of which they have no real-world experience in F1 terms having developed a KERS system for 2009 but not running it after the pullout.

Honda also don't have to worry about quantity of engines for customers, as McLaren is their sole partner and thus they have a much smaller build list.

#216 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,168 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 15:40

You don't think Honda are piling significant resources into the 2015 project? Honda is an engine company overall, and they place their reputation on their engines more so than their full F1 cars IMO. The key is how they implement the hybrid tech, of which they have no real-world experience in F1 terms having developed a KERS system for 2009 but not running it after the pullout.

Honda also don't have to worry about quantity of engines for customers, as McLaren is their sole partner and thus they have a much smaller build list.

This. 

So, what do you guys think about the other possible "headline" tech signing? As I said earlier, we might see some other Red Bull staff coming to McLaren along with Peter. My gut feeling says it will be Rob Marshall or Ross Brawn. BTW, I believe there is something going on behind the scenes between Brawn and Honda as well.

#217 nosecone

nosecone

• 882 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 15:43

This. 

So, what do you guys think about the other possible "headline" tech signing?

Pat Fry.  and i would like Rob Marshall but somehow i think they can't recruite all three. This is a way too optimistic from me :p

If not Pat Fry and not Marshall, maybe James Key. He designed the 2012 Sauber and that car has won some podiums

Edited by nosecone, 12 October 2013 - 15:44.

#218 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,440 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 15:44

This. 

So, what do you guys think about the other possible "headline" tech signing? As I said earlier, we might see some other Red Bull staff coming to McLaren along with Peter. My gut feeling says it will be Rob Marshall or Ross Brawn. BTW, I believe there is something going on behind the scenes between Brawn and Honda as well

Before PP was announced, the talk was Brawn or Pat Fry back.

Could still be valid.

#219 bogi

bogi

• 3,125 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 15:48

This. 

So, what do you guys think about the other possible "headline" tech signing? As I said earlier, we might see some other Red Bull staff coming to McLaren along with Peter. My gut feeling says it will be Rob Marshall or Ross Brawn. BTW, I believe there is something going on behind the scenes between Brawn and Honda as well.

Technical Director (Tim Goss) and Chief Engineer (Matt Morris) are promoted this year, so there won't be any changes there. Maybe they will change Chief Designer (Neil Oatley) who is very close to retirement.

Advertisement

#220 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,829 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 15:48

This. 

I think there is something there between McLaren and Brawn as well, but the sticking point may be what role they have in mind for him and what a man who has led teams basically since Todt gave him the overall running of the team some years ago at Ferrari has in mind for himself.

It's hard to hire a guy who has led the great age of the Scuderia, initially helped Honda rise back up and in doing so after the pullout and subsequent buyout of the team, led them to an amazing double title out of near disaster, then sold that same team to another manufacturer for big bucks whilst taking the Team Principal seat along with it. The man is one of the great men of F1 in the last 30 years and finding a 'job' for him is tricky.

McLaren now saying they're on a recruitment drive also suggest that perhaps Ferrari, Lotus, Mercedes and Red Bull should start talking to their key employees about renewing contracts, because McLaren will probably be after them all in the hope they get a few.

#221 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,757 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 16:17

What they need now is whoever does Red Bull strategy.

#222 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,829 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 16:18

What they need now is whoever does Red Bull strategy.

You mean anyone but Sam Michael.

#223 nosecone

nosecone

• 882 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 16:22

You mean anyone but Sam Michael.

McLaren is the only team who has a race operations thread here. for a reason ... Sadly :cry:

Edited by nosecone, 12 October 2013 - 16:23.

#224 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,168 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 16:27

What is your technical background and how would you describe your role and responsibilities as Chief Aerodynamicist?
"I studied Aeronautical Engineering at Imperial College in London for three years, before spending an additional twelve months on a Masters. I then joined McLaren to introduce and begin to develop Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) within the company. My role progressed to looking after the wind tunnel testing and in 2000 I became Head of Aerodynamics.
As Chief Aerodynamicist at McLaren Racing, I lead a team of aerodynamicists and CFD engineers, whose responsibility and goal is to effectively advance the aerodynamic design of the car to improve aerodynamic performance, using the various tools available to us, which are CAD, CFD, and the wind tunnel. It is also vital to continue developing the tools that are available to us to help us to do that job."
Old Interview with Peter Prodromou

http://www.f1technical.net/news/1545

#225 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 16:30

This is a big win for McLaren. Also a huge loss for Red Bull, the guy has a golden touch for aerodynamics.

#226 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 820 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 17:02

I'm really happy PP is getting the credit he sure deserves because until now, a lot of people thought that the only one who was responsable for Red Bull success was Adrian Newey.  :smoking:

Oh well, it better late than ever.  :D

#227 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,500 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 17:14

Now what is missing? 

Proper drivers.

#228 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,183 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 17:17

I was correct!

#229 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,183 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 17:20

1. They are McLaren

And I bet they STILL dont win a WDC or WCC in either 2014 or 2015.

#230 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,829 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 19:13

Would you expect a title first time out for Honda? Would you expect a title in 2014 when the staff turnover hasn't been able to have that much effect and they will be getting the bare minimum in support from Mercedes?

I wouldn't, but I wouldn't pre-emptively blame McLaren for it.

#231 Lemans

Lemans

• 1,389 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 19:52

Oatley, Goss, Morris and now Prodromou. McLaren have themselves a nice little Technical team. Except for Oatley, they're all relatively young, too.

#232 Treads

Treads

• 817 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 19:54

Well, he won't be joining McLaren, apparently, till end of 2014 so obviously he won't have a big impact on that year's car!

Furthermore, although I am a McLaren fan, I can't say I disagree. Ferrari and Red Bull and Mercedes have more money right now and Honda's resource boost isn't going to come onstream instantly. 

#233 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,829 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 19:56

Oatley, Goss, Morris and now Prodromou. McLaren have themselves a nice little Technical team. Except for Oatley, they're all relatively young, too.

Well when Ferrari have Rory Byrne coming back to help them, being old isn't really a problem.

#234 Treads

Treads

• 817 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 20:02

Just generally of PP... absolutely huge news for McLaren. 

For me, one of the reasons Mercedes have done so well this season is having a bunch of other senior engineers from other teams coming in with knowledge of all the secret tools trick features that add some laptime to a car. Now obviously this isn't the whole story, as the car functions as a system overall and there is a limit to how much speed can be bolted on without considering that overall system. But the fact is, PP both brings that knowledge and obviously a great ability to shape that overall aero system and flow and as such adds to the car in every good way. 

#235 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 20:21

McLaren are still 2 men short.

Where is the man who will ensure the McLaren will start the season in the top 3 and keep it there?

Where is the man who will ensure the McLaren race strategy works properly and they don't bumble along making mistake after mistake through the season?

Until this year, McLaren have always been near the top, towards the end of the season.  They are forever playing catchup.  As for race strategy - I've often thought a schoolboy could have done a better job with a Ipad.

#236 vista

vista

• 549 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 20:24

As an Alonso fan I find it interesting to combine this thread with the "Mclaren and Honda eye Alonso?" thread. Personally, I have never heard of PP before because we never hear anything about the Red Bull car itself regarding updates etc., and only Newey make comments.

Anyhow, Mclaren is gathering momentum with this new signing and it seems they have a well structured, organized plan about the future - unlike the spaghetti night club.

#237 Lemans

Lemans

• 1,389 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 20:34

Well when Ferrari have Rory Byrne coming back to help them, being old isn't really a problem.

Agree. I didn't mean to suggest Oatley's age is a problem. My point was that hopefully they will keep the team they are building intact for a long while for the sake of stability.

#238 nosecone

nosecone

• 882 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 20:34

As an Alonso fan I find it interesting to combine this thread with the "Mclaren and Honda eye Alonso?" thread. Personally, I have never heard of PP before because we never hear anything about the Red Bull car itself regarding updates etc., and only Newey make comments.

Anyhow, Mclaren is gathering momentum with this new signing and it seems they have a well structured, organized plan about the future - unlike the spaghetti night club.

I can read in your post that you'd like to see Alonso in a McLaren, right?

Well PP was the aerodynamic chief of RB i think he's on the same level as newey

#239 Treads

Treads

• 817 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 20:36

McLaren are still 2 men short.

Where is the man who will ensure the McLaren will start the season in the top 3 and keep it there?

Where is the man who will ensure the McLaren race strategy works properly and they don't bumble along making mistake after mistake through the season?

Until this year, McLaren have always been near the top, towards the end of the season.  They are forever playing catchup.  As for race strategy - I've often thought a schoolboy could have done a better job with a Ipad.

What does this mean? Start with the fastest car? They've just recruited Morris for the chassis and PP for the aero... who do you nominate for this position? 

I will agree McLaren race strategy seems to be some of the weakest on the grid and I just don't understand why this is...

Advertisement

#240 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 820 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 20:58

Am I wrong if I say that after Fernando landed in Maranello, the "spaghetti night club" has hired quite a few important people from different teams (including McLaren)? They even brought Rory Byrne back from his retirement in Thailand. 

We'll see what happens but I guess we'll agree if I say that hiring people, even if they are great professionals, does not mean success, right?

#241 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,829 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 21:00

Agree. I didn't mean to suggest Oatley's age is a problem. My point was that hopefully they will keep the team they are building intact for a long while for the sake of stability.

I suspect they're attempting to build something that someone like Oatley can slip out of once he's ready to finish. I don't think people like that can truly leave F1 behind them though, so like Byrne, I bet that Oatley will be on speed dial for any consulting on certain developments.

#242 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,829 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 21:04

If you haven't heard of Peter Prodomou and his influence on successful McLaren's as well as the current Red Bull crop I suggest you go and do some research. Newey couldn't have done what he did with Red Bull without him, put it that way. There are 4 people listed on the Red Bull Racing 'Team Management' page; Christian Horner, Adrian Newey, Rob Marshall and Peter Prodomou. That's how important he is to Red Bull.

#243 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 939 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 21:05

Unless everything isn't settled and Red Bull make a counter offer, he should be able to start within a year of starting gardening leave. I doubt Red Bull want Prodromou to have any further access to their designs to offer input now they know he is going to be taking knowledge to McLaren, so the 1 year period would have already started.

Whether Red Bull choose to enforce the whole year or, as McLaren did for Paddy Lowe, let him start early it's hard to say, but considering the regulation change and the rapid development we'll see, the Red Bull of 6 months time will likely be quite different to what's in the design office right now, so an early release may not be out of the question. Red Bull may enforce it just to make life more difficult for McLaren.

Prodromou may also lure some of his lieutenants from Red Bull to follow ship, and Lotus seem almost an easy target for poaching, so it's a good time for McLaren to recruit.

Now they just need to destabalise Mercedes  ;)

#244 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,829 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 21:15

If Red Bull have bigger secrets than the typical F1 Tech Department Head has, would they really want him to go? He could tell McLaren a lot more... sensitive stuff about the current RB cars, nevermind the new one.

#245 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 975 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 21:19

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/55504

old article from 2006 about Prodromou leaving to Red Bull... just read the 2 last sentences, a (Horner) quote... How right he was! :eek:

#246 Fonzey

Fonzey

• 272 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 21:34

he will likely get more public visibility at Mclaren then he gets at Red Bull which is a circus run by Horner and Newey.

I've wondered in the past about these types of scenario. Certain teams at certain points in history have had their success almost exclusively credited to one or two "Celebrity" names in the paddock, meaning there's a shed load of very talented people not getting recognition.

#247 SNiko

SNiko

• 1,062 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 00:29

In 2006 Newey called Prodromou to RB, now its time for Prodromou to call Newey to McLaren )

#248 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 973 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 00:50

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/55504

old article from 2006 about Prodromou leaving to Red Bull... just read the 2 last sentences, a (Horner) quote... How right he was! :eek:

Puts in perspective how much credit should go to Horner for getting the right team in place whilst bigger teams were cooling their "balls in the pool".

Edited by CHIUNDA, 13 October 2013 - 00:51.

#249 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 973 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 00:59

All this poaching from McLaren by all big teams who then start beating the hell out of the Woking outfit makes me question Ron's and Martin's competence and ability to get the best out of their pool of very good staff. It's becoming clearer that the changes at McLaren should be at the very top rather than as Whitmarsh suggests in "headline" grabbing hirings at lower levels.

Edited by CHIUNDA, 13 October 2013 - 01:01.

#250 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,440 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:24

All this poaching from McLaren by all big teams who then start beating the hell out of the Woking outfit makes me question Ron's and Martin's competence and ability to get the best out of their pool of very good staff. It's becoming clearer that the changes at McLaren should be at the very top rather than as Whitmarsh suggests in "headline" grabbing hirings at lower levels.

Are you saying it would have been better for McLaren to sack MW, than sign PP?

You could question MW and Ron's ability to retain very talented staff, but not in identifying them, promoting them or getting the best out of them.
PP is a McLaren guy, Fry, Lowe, these guys made their names with success at McLaren and then moved on.

Quite the opposite, by signing Honda, PP, Morris and whomever else, MW has restored faith in Macca management in the eyes of many Mac fans, pundits and detractors.