• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 14:31

Lets have some fun with this

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/24389863

Lewis : "For me, it all started when I went to the Belgian Grand Prix in 1996. I was 11. I went up to one of the drivers for an autograph and he just ignored me"

I think it will be someone at least semi-famous. Some suggestions 

Hill

Schumi

J.V

Alesi

Berger

Brundle

Frentzen

Irvine

Mika

Rubens

D.C

Herbert

I think Irvine or J.V could be contenders, Schumi is meant to be quite nice, and I would be stunned if it was Hill or Herbert. D.C would not shock me though.

Edited by sennafan24, 05 October 2013 - 14:37.

Advertisement

#2 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 15:13

Well, FA ignored him a bit later and we all know how that went...

#3 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 15:16

Well, FA ignored him a bit later and we all know how that went...

Diversion not allowed  :p

Name and Shame your pick!

#4 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 15:20

I would go with JV or Irvine then...

#5 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 15:21

Senna ignored the young Massa asking for an autograph.

Reuteman ignored Piquet at Interlagos, when Nelson was hired as a boy office to wipe the floor and clean his car.

Later Piquet swore to defeat Reuteman in F1... and he did.

Edited by V3TT3L, 05 October 2013 - 15:24.

#6 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 15:24

Blasphemy, how very dare you.

Seriously, not heard that one, you got a source.

#7 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 15:26

Lets have some fun with this

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/24389863

Lewis : "For me, it all started when I went to the Belgian Grand Prix in 1996. I was 11. I went up to one of the drivers for an autograph and he just ignored me"

I think it will be someone at least semi-famous. Some suggestions 

Hill

Schumi

J.V

Alesi

Berger

Brundle

Frentzen

Irvine

Mika

Rubens

D.C

Herbert

I think Irvine or J.V could be contenders, Schumi is meant to be quite nice, and I would be stunned if it was Hill or Herbert. D.C would not shock me though.

I can't imagine Frentzen doing it, he is too nice. my first bet was Irvine, but I didnt know if he raced back then, my second guess was Schumi on the other hand Schumi did work alot with young racers and seemed to enjoy it too, so after thinking about it I don't think Schumi would have ignored him...

Villeneuve maybe... he seems to still be kinda dickish

Edited by Sin, 05 October 2013 - 15:28.

#8 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 15:30

I would go with JV or Irvine then...

Agreed, they are the most likely suspects if we judge on personality.

Sin - Irvine raced back then, it was his first year at Ferrari. I agree HHF is far too nice.

#9 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 15:32

A friend of mine btw said that today Sutil seems to be the driver that is ignoring people on the other hand... I heard different reports too... I'm not sure if I would be too happy to give autographs if balls of fans wait for me at every corner...

#10 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 15:42

A friend of mine btw said that today Sutil seems to be the driver that is ignoring people on the other hand... I heard different reports too... I'm not sure if I would be too happy to give autographs if balls of fans wait for me at every corner...

I would have Di Resta down as a miserable sod. I can see what your friend means about Sutil.

There is a happy medium though, I would not think less of a driver for not stopping for a cup of tea and a half hour chat with a fan, but I think at least saying, "sorry I am in a rush, thanks for supporting me" is not too much to ask.

#11 DriveFastLiveSlow

DriveFastLiveSlow

• 299 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 15:43

Who cares?

#12 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 15:44

Does it really matter?

Some drivers are very friendly and great at fan stuff but still, we all have our 'off' days where we can't be bothered with people.

#13 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 15:45

Who cares?

Just a bit of harmless fun really, if you read my thread title you can see I am not really taking it seriously

#14 Borko

Borko

• 2,231 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 15:48

I've never understood people who are asking for autographs. It's just a piece of paper.

#15 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 16:04

Most likely a British driver, or McLaren driver of then, as he's been a McLaren fan since Senna, and since his young grooming days at the team, he's only spoken well about Schumacher so it can't be the Red Barren.

#16 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 16:29

Seeing as it was Belgian GP 1996, far into the season, probably a driver that was battling for the championship. So my guess is Villeneuve as well.

#17 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 16:32

I have a vague memory it was DC...

#18 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 16:36

Reuteman ignored Piquet at Interlagos, when Nelson was hired as a boy office to wipe the floor and clean his car.

Piquet hired as a boy office? I seem to recall he was loaded?

#19 Coral

Coral

• 6,786 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 16:51

When I read this my first thought was that it was Damon Hill. I don't know where I heard it from but supposedly Hill does not sign many autographs?

Anyway, it doesn't really matter to me as I have always thought that autographs are a bit silly.

Advertisement

#20 george1981

george1981

• 1,366 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 16:54

Here's the entry list from the 1996 Belgian GP. I would laugh my head off if it were Ricardo Rosset.

Jean Alesi
Rubens Barrichello
Gerhard Berger
Martin Brundle
David Coulthard
Pedro Diniz
Heinz-Harald Frentzen
Mika Häkkinen
Johnny Herbert
Damon Hill
Eddie Irvine
Ukyo Katayama
Pedro Lamy
Giovanni Lavaggi
Olivier Panis
Ricardo Rosset
Mika Salo
Michael Schumacher
Jos Verstappen
Jacques Villeneuve

#21 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 16:57

I've never understood people who are asking for autographs. It's just a piece of paper.

A worthless piece of paper to you, is a priceless memory to somebody else.

#22 Borko

Borko

• 2,231 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 17:02

A worthless piece of paper to you, is a priceless memory to somebody else.

Yeah, really important, a famous person writes his/her name on a paper for you..

#23 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 17:24

Yeah, really important, a famous person writes his/her name on a paper for you..

Sometimes people have their race tickets signed by the winning driver of a memorable GP, then sell them on ebay for $1000.00. 

Another-time a lady with large natural assets had them signed by a driver.

Not always worthless.  Not always paper.  :D

Edited by bourbon, 05 October 2013 - 17:25.

#24 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 17:29

I think a photo is worth more sentimentally than a autograph, I am going to Silverstone hopefully for the first time next year, and if I can get my mug in the same shot as even a Bianchi or JEV it would make my day.

george1981 - I only listed names because it has to be someone memorable, its unlikely say a 12 year old as racing-mad as Lewis would approach a Lavaggi for example. I agree it could be D.C there is just something about him.

I would piss myself if it was Johnny Hebert, the worlds most happy man.

#25 Borko

Borko

• 2,231 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 17:29

Sometimes people have their race tickets signed by the winning driver of a memorable GP, then sell them on ebay for $1000.00. 

:D

#26 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 17:32

Alexander Kaschte signed his CDs for me..... then a month later he turned out to be an asshole and even tho I was a big fangirl I disliked him since then so the autograph is not worth anything for me anymore.... but I would like to have autographs of a few current drivers...

however if I ever get to a race and don't get an autograph I won't die either :o

#27 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 2,559 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 17:36

No doubt it was Vettel , boooooo :-)

Serious it could be any driver at the wrong moment

#28 Borko

Borko

• 2,231 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 17:40

Yeah, it should also be understandable when driver refuses to sign something, or to take a photo with some fans, they are probably bored to death with autographs since they are signing them all the time

#29 FLB

FLB

• 29,871 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 17:41

I'd be very surprised if it was Hill or Herbert. I've met both in Montreal and they were super nice. Hill actually took time to chat with the fans and seemed genuinely pleased to get the attention (this was in 1993).

Badoer, on the other hand...

#30 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 17:46

I'd be very surprised if it was Hill or Herbert. I've met both in Montreal and they were super nice. Hill actually took time to chat with the fans and seemed genuinely pleased to get the attention (this was in 1993).

I have been told Herbert is as genuine as they come from people who have met him away from the cameras. I am sure the same can be said about Hill

#31 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 18:00

Sounds like Jacques. Schumacher on a bad day?

#32 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 18:01

Serious it could be any driver at the wrong moment

Very true, I've seen some of the generally friendliest drivers storming around the place like thunder when things have been going pear shaped.

#33 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 18:02

After all of his recent Lewis gushing, I'm going for Johnny Herbert.  I'm only saying that because he is so nice about Lewis that he must have been mean to him on one occasion. Nobody can be that perfect. Genuinely I've no idea.

Also as this almost a double topic, I've had good and bad experiences with getting driver autographs. I always try and have a suitable print to hand for the driver to sign. When I got my first autographs I had to improvise when I realised that I didn't have anything with me apart from my Ferrari cap. Luckily I was at the front in the Ferrari queue so I got my Ferrari cap signed by both Alonso and Massa. There was even a picture taken at the point that Alonso was signing my cap.

I've just spent the afternoon at the picture framing shop to select the frame for my personally signed Vettel print. :blush:

#34 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 18:03

My first guess was Schumi.

#35 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 2,559 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 18:12

Piquet hired as a boy office? I seem to recall he was loaded?

his parents did not support his racing career, they wanted him to be a tennisplayer. That is why he raced under his mothers name (piquet) and not his real name (souto maior)

#36 ANF

ANF

• 29,529 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 18:18

Was Schumacher even available for autographs in 1996?

#37 Borko

Borko

• 2,231 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 18:23

I apologize for off-topic, but does anybody know was Schumacher never wanted to do an interview for Brundle during his grid walks when he was in Ferrari?

Edited by BorkoF2012, 05 October 2013 - 18:28.

#38 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 18:28

I've always thought getting asked for autographs must be one of the worst things about being famous. You might get asked for your autograph literally a thousand times in a year if you were an F1 driver, and the one time you thought "Jesus Christ I've scribbled my name on paper 50 times already today" is the one time that kid is going to be pissed and talk about what a dick you were.

As for the topic at hand, I doubt it was JV like so many are thinking, simply because if it was 1996 he was in pre-hate the world mode. I bet it was someone we'd never guess like Rosset or Diniz.

We can rule out Brundle. No one would remember 17 years later whether they got his or not.

#39 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 18:34

Blasphemy, how very dare you.

Seriously, not heard that one, you got a source.

LOL, it could be anyone of the listed drivers. Anyone. The context here is that LH got some extra motivation, and most possibly it does not reflect on the personality of the driver who ignored him. Any of those drivers could have a fxxxxd up day/race/hour/minute when they would have ignored their own crying mommy for an autograph. So yes, it could have been Senna too, the guy was moody and hysteric like a bad mother in law if things were not going his way.

Advertisement

#40 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 18:35

Doubt it was JV, he was actually a really nice guy before BAR took his soul. 

#41 Jimmy

Jimmy

• 382 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 18:41

Come on, surely EVERY driver has passed up giving autographs at one time or another. It could have been any of them and shouldn't be considered a big deal IMO.

#42 Jimmy

Jimmy

• 382 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 18:45

I apologize for off-topic, but does anybody know was Schumacher never wanted to do an interview for Brundle during his grid walks when he was in Ferrari?

They did a sit down interview together for ITV circa 97/98 and Brundle posed some difficult (but more than fair) questions about Schmacher's ethics and sportsmanship. It was not long after Jerez 97. Schumacher held a grudge ever since.

#43 JtP1

JtP1

• 753 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 18:49

Berger's speciality when at Ferrari was to walk accross public access areas at Monza with his hands in his pockets and try not to give autographs.

#44 PaulTodd

PaulTodd

• 194 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 19:00

I would rather have my picture taken with them, As a child I had always wanted to be snapped with Ayrton.

#45 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 19:04

Yeah I'd rather have my picture taken with a driver. I do have a photo of Lewis and Fernando on the podium at Austin on my wall. Would love to have that signed by them both.

My bet would be Schumacher who ignored Lewis.

#46 george1981

george1981

• 1,366 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 19:23

I think a photo is worth more sentimentally than a autograph, I am going to Silverstone hopefully for the first time next year, and if I can get my mug in the same shot as even a Bianchi or JEV it would make my day.

george1981 - I only listed names because it has to be someone memorable, its unlikely say a 12 year old as racing-mad as Lewis would approach a Lavaggi for example. I agree it could be D.C there is just something about him.

I would piss myself if it was Johnny Hebert, the worlds most happy man.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was someone who wasn't that successful. I briefly spoke to Luciano Burti on the Thursday before the 2001 spanish GP when he being unveiled to the press having just been sacked by Jaguar and taken on by Prost. In those days with a general admission ticket you get into the pitlane on the Thursday in Spain. I still remember this vividly even though with the best will in the world he wasn't that successful. Had Burti snubbed me he would have been an enemy for life. :)

#47 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,993 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 19:26

There's a story in a book about Terry Labonte.  A hottie in Daisy Dukes asked him to sign her shirt, and he suggested that he should sign her derriere instead.  She turned around and he did so.

The mechanic who observed the scene said to Labonte, when she went off, "she is going to be so mad when she finds that you wrote with your finger..."

#48 Sausage

Sausage

• 1,820 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 19:28

Maybe it was caught on video, to the archives!

#49 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,160 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 19:35

Piquet also completed this little cycle by ignoring Senna, then a British FFord driver, when they were introduced at the 1981 Belgian GP (IIRC).I ca

I can't wait for Felipe Nasr to break the news that Massa ignored him in 2008 or so.

Edited by midgrid, 05 October 2013 - 19:35.

#50 Nick Planas

Nick Planas

• 353 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 19:37

I presume SHE didn't sell them on e-Bay. Post and packaging being a potential issue here...