Advertisement

#102 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 16:41

So, from ze horses mouth:

http://www.jamesalle...e-for-the-team/

He wants to stay the reference.

Yeah on Sky he said basically he has to be in charge or he's out.  

Not out of F1 though...

#103 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,432 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 16:09

Next time someone spots Ross Brawn, mind passing on my hopes he stay on as bossman? If he goes, I'm guessing they'll put Wolff and Lowe in charge and I think Wolff seems abrasive even on TV, where presumably he's on his best behaviour so goodness knows what he's like when there's not a lens trained on him.

Now, from previous threads and reported sightings, I understand that Ross seems to spend a lot of his time hanging out in supermarket carparks, so when you shop, please be on the look out for Ross Brawn at all times, cheers.

#104 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 1,475 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 17:58

I take my dog walking by his house I'll keep an eye out lol

#105 Velocifer

Velocifer

• 736 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:30

It's ironic and some justice after his team orders in Malaysia for Brawn himself to be told to take a back seat to a new 'in' guy. And also quite revealing and interesting he would find it so demotivating as to refuse any such team orders and rather quit the team he has built up even as it seems on the verge of final success at last.

Serves him right in a way, but still a big shame if he won't finally be able to reap the fruits of his hard labor as it would surely be heart breaking if he is pushed out of the chair and have to see someone else take the glory.

#106 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,537 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:23

i think mercedes hired Paddy in desperation, they had no idea this years car would succeed so they needed a backup just in case, as it turned out its fairly good, the team seem to be working well, and now their are at risk to destabilize, what is actually working :-)  

#107 Raven8

Raven8

• 705 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:00

i think mercedes hired Paddy in desperation, they had no idea this years car would succeed so they needed a backup just in case, as it turned out its fairly good, the team seem to be working well, and now their are at risk to destabilize, what is actually working :-)  

It was Wolff who hired Lowe for Wiliams IMO, but than everytghing changed. Rumours say it's Wolff who is the stumbling stone inside the Mercedes belle etage, and he alledgedly isn't well liked there, neither at the rest of the team ( but this is only rumored)

Edited by Raven8, 15 October 2013 - 07:05.

#108 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:16

It smells like Boardroom Management to me.  Zetsche and the suits sit round the huge polished mahogany table with coffee and biscuits and confidently make the big decisions on superficial grounds.  They've heard of Lauda.  Toto is nice and tall and handsome, and has those great presentation skills - German speakers, perhaps that's important in a team called Mercedes but in Britain and awash with Brits.  Some of them have heard of Paddy Lowe, or McLaren at least.  Aldo Costa even.  Bob Bell maybe.  Lewis Hamilton, obviously.  But Michael Schumacher wasn't successful so whose fault was that?  

It must feel horribly like the Honda situation to Brawn, I'm not surprised he's fed up.  The fact he's gone public suggests he wasn't winning the battle behind the scenes.  How likely is it that Toto and/or Niki will accept a passive role, when they have The Board backing them?  And there's Lowe all small and cuddly and cooperative...

#109 Raven8

Raven8

• 705 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:23

It smells like Boardroom Management to me.  Zetsche and the suits sit round the huge polished mahogany table with coffee and biscuits and confidently make the big decisions on superficial grounds.  They've heard of Lauda.  Toto is nice and tall and handsome, and has those great presentation skills - German speakers, perhaps that's important in a team called Mercedes but in Britain and awash with Brits.  Some of them have heard of Paddy Lowe, or McLaren at least.  Aldo Costa even.  Bob Bell maybe.  Lewis Hamilton, obviously.  But Michael Schumacher wasn't successful so whose fault was that?  

It must feel horribly like the Honda situation to Brawn, I'm not surprised he's fed up.  The fact he's gone public suggests he wasn't winning the battle behind the scenes.  How likely is it that Toto and/or Niki will accept a passive role, when they have The Board backing them?  And there's Lowe all small and cuddly and cooperative...

They would be idiots to lose Brawn to one of their competitors

#110 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,828 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:34

I think that it's the Merc management and Lauda that want to retain Brawn. The issue IMO is Wolff, or more accuratly, the conditions he promised to Paddy Lowe on his employment......

#111 Raven8

Raven8

• 705 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:38

I think that it's the Merc management and Lauda that want to retain Brawn. The issue IMO is Wolff, or more accuratly, the conditions he promised to Paddy Lowe on his employment......

This, Lauda wants Brawn to stay and tries everything, but Wolff has other interests, it's a battle between the 2 of them. The team obviously wants Brawn to stay.
Mercedes should hurry up give Brawn any guarantee he wants  and send Wolff back to DTM

#112 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,432 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:06

More RB news. Only 50/50 on Ross sticking around, says Niki Lauda

It's down to him now, I'd say it's 50-50," Lauda told the Mirror.

"We have had some small problems in the team in the past but everything is sorted now.

"It's all agreed between him and Paddy and everyone else. He's No.1. I have tried to persuade him to stay. I want him to stay. We will talk again at the end of the season."

Source: SkyF1

#113 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,889 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:44

I think there has been a change of heart at Board level and they're trying to ease the effect of what was a knee-jerk reaction a year ago when they announced management changes (firing Haug, bringing in Toto and Lauda and promising Lowe the TP role). Through Lauda, it seems the board are now seeing Brawn's managerial capabilities and standing within the team. Letting him go is risking destabilization of the the team and the beginning of a downward spiral.

#114 David1976

David1976

• 921 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:56

Wow.  If it's 50/50 that Brawn will stay it dosn't look good.

I do hope Mercedes sort this out.  These sort of managerial hierarchy problems were exactly what people were talking about a year ago.  Now it is coming home to roost.

For me the Paddy Lowe appointment is the critical one. He joined to be a Team Prinicpal and, until Ross finally moves on, he must be like a spare part.  Who is going to report to Paddy until it is clearly defined that Ross is not boss?  If they do report to him already, as if he is a team principal, perhaps the writing is already on the wall?  What exactly does Paddy Lowe do in his current capacity?

In my opinion Merecedes shouldl respect what Brawn has done.  The team has improved year on year post Brawn GP.  If it ain't broke...

#115 OO7

OO7

• 9,344 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:08

How on Earth did Mercedes get themselves into this mess?  I hope it has been sorted as lauda stated.

#116 SanDiegoGo

SanDiegoGo

• 600 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:12

Seems the Mercedes board panicked at the end of last season and made some decisions they are now ruing. Had they kept faith with Brawn and heeded his assertions that things were going to be better this season, they wouldn't have been so hasty with Wolf and Lowe. This is a mess. It looks like they may snatch defeat from the jaws of victory if they destabilize the team next year.

#117 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:18

If Brawn goes, Hamilton will go too. I think he wants stability and a senior man at his back; he doesn't want a change of management a la McLaren and Whitmarsh.

Edited by stanga, 15 October 2013 - 11:20.

#118 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,735 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:49

The history of relatively remote boardroom management by a corporate entity, their inflexibility, the inability to change anything or everything without a 'paper trail', the administrative hegemony from afar rather than on the ground, the huge waste of time and money employing same to polish seats, all these are hugely counter-productive for any race team.

Instead of making decisions based upon necessity, they are made to suit the corporate modus operandi. The post race debriefs where drivers and team personnel are obliged to answer to this control are an example of said problem.

There are at least two famous teams in the paddock who suffer from part or all of this and both are struggling, Honda and Toyota were lessons not learnt from the past.

#119 as65p

as65p

• 17,713 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:41

So it has come to exactly what many predicted when Mercedes started to hire like there's no tomorrow last season. Would be hilarious if Brawn became the victim of it.

Advertisement

#120 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:48

I think there has been a change of heart at Board level and they're trying to ease the effect of what was a knee-jerk reaction a year ago when they announced management changes (firing Haug, bringing in Toto and Lauda and promising Lowe the TP role). Through Lauda, it seems the board are now seeing Brawn's managerial capabilities and standing within the team. Letting him go is risking destabilization of the the team and the beginning of a downward spiral.

Well that would be nice, but I have to wonder why haven't they made it happen?  Brawn can just phone Zetsche, after all;  surely if he had the Board's backing he wouldn't need to be saying things in the media.

There's Lauda presenting himself as the main man, that's not too good a sign either.

#121 FastnLoud

FastnLoud

• 769 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:56

If Brawn goes, Hamilton will go too. I think he wants stability and a senior man at his back; he doesn't want a change of management a la McLaren and Whitmarsh.

Lewis won't go when they will probably have a extremely fast car in 2014 - 15 - I see Lewis seeing out his contract and going to Ferrari or Mclaren.

#122 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,432 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 13:09

So it has come to exactly what many predicted when Mercedes started to hire like there's no tomorrow last season. Would be hilarious if Brawn became the victim of it.

It would only be ironic/hilarious if Brawn himself had hired the very bunch of people who ended up pushing him out. It's not especially ironic if Wolff and Lowe were brought in against his wishes with a view to replacing him, it's just the outcome I've been wondering about since they announced Lowe was setting sail from Woking and joining the good ship Merc.

#123 Lucass

Lucass

• 121 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 13:10

Where would he go? Sauber, Force India, cash strapped Lotus or Nascar?

Lewis has been bought and paid for with the Mercedes millions, he's not going anywhere.

Yes that would be sweet irony. :)

I predicted it would end messy like so many things Lauda was involved in.

#124 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,468 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 13:12

Was fishing with Ross a few weeks back nice chap, let me use his fishing deck! Anyway.... He spoke fondly of Williams and how sad it is to see them back at the front

:confused:  I think you might have mangled that quote a bit, but I know what you mean.

#125 EthanM

EthanM

• 2,392 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 13:13

How on Earth did Mercedes get themselves into this mess?  I hope it has been sorted as lauda stated.

does too many chiefs not enough Indians ring a bell? 

#126 chrisj

chrisj

• 600 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 13:13

It would be a shame if Mercedes had the dominant car next year and Ross wasn't around to manage it. If he leaves, I see the whole thing decending into chaos in a couple of years. Lauda and Wolff aren't capable of running an F1 team.

#127 Lucass

Lucass

• 121 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 13:34

It would be a shame if Mercedes had the dominant car next year and Ross wasn't around to manage it. If he leaves, I see the whole thing decending into chaos in a couple of years. Lauda and Wolff aren't capable of running an F1 team.

I doubt the Mercedes board would give it that much time.

I see Lauda and Wolff holding the bags and Mercedes safely as an engine manufacturer only.

Ross Brawn is right they should do it his way or he better GTFO

Edited by Lucass, 15 October 2013 - 13:49.

#128 David1976

David1976

• 921 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 13:57

Where would he go? 

Lewis has been bought and paid for with the Mercedes millions, he's not going anywhere.

I don't think so.  Lewis is widely recognised as the fastest F1 driver on the grid.

I could see a McLaren return as feasible.  Ferrari less so.  Red Bull whilst Seb is there impossible.

He hardly needs the money any more so his legacy will be far more important going into his 30's.

Edited by David1976, 15 October 2013 - 13:58.

#129 Lucass

Lucass

• 121 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 14:30

I don't think so.  Lewis is widely recognised as the fastest F1 driver on the grid.

I could see a McLaren return as feasible.  Ferrari less so.  Red Bull whilst Seb is there impossible.

He hardly needs the money any more so his legacy will be far more important going into his 30's.

You mean widely as by you and yourself lol :lol:

Ferrari and Red Bull have their line-up for 2014 ready, for Lotus or McLaren he would need to accept the mother of all pay cuts.

Lewis will be in a Mercedes next year with or without Ross Brawn, the other teams don't want or can't afford him.

#130 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,889 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 15:16

Well that would be nice, but I have to wonder why haven't they made it happen?  Brawn can just phone Zetsche, after all;  surely if he had the Board's backing he wouldn't need to be saying things in the media.

There's Lauda presenting himself as the main man, that's not too good a sign either.

Lauda is the Chairman (non-executive). I have no problem with his role to be honest. He is the linking pin between the team and the largest shareholder. It's a role you see in many other companies and a role Brawn did not want. He's said it several times that the Technical and Sporting side is where is competency lies and that is what he is currently doing. Commercial/Business is done by Toto. It's possible they proposed some sharing of responsibility between Brawn and Lowe concerning Sporting and Technical which he's not happy with.

#131 pup

pup

• 447 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 15:26

Well, when you look at each of them in isolation - Lowe, Brawn, Wolf and Lauda - you can imagine a logical role for each in the team.  The problem is that when you consider them all together, you end up with four men trying to do the job of two.  And if you break down those jobs finely grained enough for it to make sense with four people, then I think you get four men who's ambition and egos are far bigger than their assigned roles.

At the end of the day, at least one has got to go.  

#132 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 15:27

Lauda is the Chairman (non-executive). I have no problem with his role to be honest. He is the linking pin between the team and the largest shareholder. It's a role you see in many other companies and a role Brawn did not want. He's said it several times that the Technical and Sporting side is where is competency lies and that is what he is currently doing. Commercial/Business is done by Toto. It's possible they proposed some sharing of responsibility between Brawn and Lowe concerning Sporting and Technical which he's not happy with.

Yeah I see your point, though istr some comments about team orders from Toto and Niki, along the lines of 'it won't happen again', and maybe another time I don't remember clearly, that ended in Brawn having to say "I'm on the pitwall".  I daresay Paddy is yet another fly in Ross' ointment.

Funny really.  F1 is so big on intelligence, but these quite obvious structural problems seem beyond them even though you'd think organisational structure would be a Chairman's specialist subject.

#133 Sanman59

Sanman59

• 268 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 16:04

If I was Martin Whitmarsh, I would be nervous. Under his stewardship the direction of travel has been downhill. He is a nice bloke but he is not cutting it. I expect Ross to go there. Failing that it will be Honda in 2015.

#134 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 2,728 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 16:08

Ferrari and Red Bull have their line-up for 2014 ready, for Lotus or McLaren he would need to accept the mother of all pay cuts.

Lewis will be in a Mercedes next year with or without Ross Brawn, the other teams don't want or can't afford him.

You're perhaps not as politically correct, but heck i agree with your assessment... Hamilton will be a fool to jump ships now or even in 2015, unless the Mercedes bus's (pun is intended and all credit to Vettel for this one!) become Mercedes trucks from 2010-2011...

Horner has already stated that Hamilton is not a right fit for the team... and unless there's a management change, i don't think Hamilton will end up there.

Ferrari is eying Vettel and as of last year they made it very clear, even if only because Vettel's younger which was then, now Vettel's going to be a 4 time WDC (on the trot mind you) and it is a no brainer to sign him, if he's available that is.

Lotus haven't been able to pay Raikkonen on time who's pay was about half of what Hamilton is making now. Now as much as i'm for taking a better job, the idea is not to work for free (well, unless Ferrari offers me a job in which case merely food/ clothing and shelter would do! :love: ) Unless they come up with a package which is better than others, i doubt that Hamilton will swing that way.

McLaren is the only possible team which may hire Hamilton... but they're trying for Alonso, and Whitmarsh has also been eying Vettel now for 3 odd years. Plus, Vettel comes cheap for a 4 time WDC!

Hamilton at any rate is going to be third in que for any team... mostly because rumours of Alonso moving are going around, and the fact that a 4 time WDC could be hired for cheaper...

note: this is not an attempt to take a piss at anyone...

#135 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 16:28

Lewis won't leave just because Ross Brawn leaves.  Anyway let's not sail off down there in this thread.  Getting Lewis has been one of Brawn's successes, as I'm sure The Board and everyone can see.

#136 dau

dau

• 4,578 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 17:03

I doubt the Mercedes board would give it that much time.

I see Lauda and Wolff holding the bags and Mercedes safely as an engine manufacturer only.

Ross Brawn is right they should do it his way or he better GTFO

Didn't they do it his way at Brackley in the last five years or so? 

#137 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,828 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 17:12

You're perhaps not as politically correct, but heck i agree with your assessment... Hamilton will be a fool to jump ships now or even in 2015, unless the Mercedes bus's (pun is intended and all credit to Vettel for this one!) become Mercedes trucks from 2010-2011...

Horner has already stated that Hamilton is not a right fit for the team... and unless there's a management change, i don't think Hamilton will end up there.

Ferrari is eying Vettel and as of last year they made it very clear, even if only because Vettel's younger which was then, now Vettel's going to be a 4 time WDC (on the trot mind you) and it is a no brainer to sign him, if he's available that is.

Lotus haven't been able to pay Raikkonen on time who's pay was about half of what Hamilton is making now. Now as much as i'm for taking a better job, the idea is not to work for free (well, unless Ferrari offers me a job in which case merely food/ clothing and shelter would do! :love: ) Unless they come up with a package which is better than others, i doubt that Hamilton will swing that way.

McLaren is the only possible team which may hire Hamilton... but they're trying for Alonso, and Whitmarsh has also been eying Vettel now for 3 odd years. Plus, Vettel comes cheap for a 4 time WDC!

Hamilton at any rate is going to be third in que for any team... mostly because rumours of Alonso moving are going around, and the fact that a 4 time WDC could be hired for cheaper...

I don't really know what any of that has to do with Ross Brawn and his aspirations....... but if you think that Vettel could be hired for cheaper than Hamilton and Fred then you are well wide of the mark to say the least........

#138 Raven8

Raven8

• 705 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 17:30

Why should he accept "the mother of all paycuts" MClaren wanted to pay him more than any other driver in F1 last year.

#139 Raven8

Raven8

• 705 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 17:32

Lewis won't leave just because Ross Brawn leaves.  Anyway let's not sail off down there in this thread.  Getting Lewis has been one of Brawn's successes, as I'm sure The Board and everyone can see.

Both Lauda & Wolff have said hiring Hamilton has revitalised the team and pushed them to success& it's known Lewis came because of Brawn.

Advertisement

#140 l8apex

l8apex

• 214 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 17:39

Lewis isn't going anywhere next year, and if the 2014 car is fast... he will stick around in 2015.

Hopefully Ross will stay at Mercedes.  I can't see Paddy Lowe in the position of TP... I fear he would be a Whitmarsh 2.0.

#141 garagetinkerer

garagetinkerer

• 2,728 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 17:42

I don't really know what any of that has to do with Ross Brawn and his aspirations....... but if you think that Vettel could be hired for cheaper than Hamilton and Fred then you are well wide of the mark to say the least........

I was just adding to some post that was there... not just started ranting all by myself... le' sigh! Erm, for points won per dollar spent, one could argue Vettel is indeed cheaper! His basic salary is quite less... i've heard about 8 million or so, and he gets bonuses for wins/ podiums.

Brawn... i don't quite understand why he would spend more time with people who he may not fully trust... Wuff... sorry, i meant Wolff :p He was bloody caught red handed with his hands in his pants, and he's part owner. So unless Mercedes buys out his stake and sends him away, i think Wuff, oops, i did it again... Wolff is not going anywhere till he's asked to leave by Mercedes as/ when they buy his stake in the team, which is rather unlikely. Do i think Brawn will leave now? May be not, as he really wants to be there and not let Wuff, yet again, i'm sorry... I don't think Brawn will let Wolff corner all glory for himself. May be 2015 is when he will leave... once he has had proven that he has delivered and beyond any doubts.

Edited by garagetinkerer, 15 October 2013 - 17:43.

#142 Raven8

Raven8

• 705 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 17:43

Lewis isn't going anywhere next year, and if the 2014 car is fast... he will stick around in 2015.

Hopefully Ross will stay at Mercedes.  I can't see Paddy Lowe in the position of TP... I fear he would be a Whitmarsh 2.0.

IMO, Lewis will fullfill his contract at Mercedes at least if they are competitive, but I'm sure he has a get out clause for 2015 , if the team fails to deliver

Edited by Raven8, 15 October 2013 - 17:43.

#143 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,432 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 17:46

Y'know, just for kicks and the sheer novelty value, there's going to be a thread about Mercedes that's not all about Lewis Hamilton. And this shall be that thread. No Lewis allowed, unless it's to quote his views on the situation.

Back to Ross, please.

#144 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,828 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 17:48

I fear he'll be more "Whitmarsh Lite".

Either way, I reckon there has been a bit of footstamping from Lewis. Whilst respectful about Lowe - he was quite clear about him being "A McLaren man" and he was looking forward to working with his new team rather than those of the past. Perhaps it stems from the role that Lowe had in the bizarre implosion of the reliability, team competence, and performance of the MP4-27 in the later stages of the 2012 season where Hamilton was staring straight down the barrel of a 2nd WDC.

In Brawn he trusts........... That will carry a lot of weight at the top.

#145 tmzxaar

tmzxaar

• 364 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 18:14

Not you again :rotfl: :wave:

#146 alpinesmuggler

alpinesmuggler

• 219 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 18:44

Sorry to interrupt the Lewis-Brawn-Merc-McLaren speculation.

Has anything new come out from any of the parties in the past couple of days? Any specifics? Any statements?

Edited by alpinesmuggler, 15 October 2013 - 18:50.

#147 alpinesmuggler

alpinesmuggler

• 219 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 18:48

So, from ze horses mouth:

http://www.jamesalle...e-for-the-team/

He wants to stay the reference.

That is seriously not cool from Allen. A barely edited Google Translate rip off article without attribution? Damn, we really do need better reporters in this sport.

#148 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,306 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 18:51

I don't sense good vibes between LH and Toto .... no source for that than my own spidy sense.

#149 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,306 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 18:54

Sorry to interrupt the Lewis-Brawn-Merc-McLaren speculation.

Has anything new come out from any of the parties in the past couple of days? Any specifics? Any statements?

LOL ... the last place you are going to find out what is happening is the press.

#150 Raven8

Raven8

• 705 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 18:55

I don't sense good vibes between LH and Toto .... no source for that than my own spidy sense.

I heared rumors ( Austrian media) that Toto isn't well liked in the (whole) team