Brawn to leave Mercedes at the end of the 2013 season

• Please log in to reply
523 replies to this topic

#401 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,148 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:10

I've never seen any quote anywhere, other than on here, by a poster/posters, I think some just over estimated Lewis's importance within the team, I'm pretty sure there was a quote from Lewis stating pretty firmly that Lowe wouldn't be going there, so perhaps he may have overestimated his own standing within the team.

I'm in bullish mood, so if you can find such a quote from Lewis Hamilton saying "pretty firmly that Lowe wouldn't be going there", I will personally mail you  - and only you, this offer is not open to others - five English pounds, in the form of a nice crisp note.

Advertisement

#402 Zava

Zava

• 5,001 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:13

Brawn to Red Bull so Horner can prepare his take over from Bernie........

I think that would give some people some nightmares

then we would only need Barrichello instead of Ricciardo, and we would have RB at RB giving TOs to RB.

#403 P123

P123

• 8,332 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:29

Ross leaving Merc. Expect to see him in an FIA role soon. See my Autsport column today.

That wouldn't be a surprise.

#404 P123

P123

• 8,332 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:38

I've never seen any quote anywhere, other than on here, by a poster/posters, I think some just over estimated Lewis's importance within the team, I'm pretty sure there was a quote from Lewis stating pretty firmly that Lowe wouldn't be going there, so perhaps he may have overestimated his own standing within the team.

You might be thinking about Brawn.  He had previously stated that Lowe would only be going to Mercedes if he left, except Lowe arrived while he was still there.

"Paddy is not coming. I want to see how things go before I make a final long-term commitment. If I choose to leave the team then Paddy will come.

As for Hamilton, from what I recall he was never openly enthusiastic about Lowe's arrival, but then again he'd be putting the boot into those already there if he was.  Some, pro and negative, perhaps like to believe he runs the team and would therefore have an input into such a decision.

#405 swerved

swerved

• 3,615 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:46

I'm in bullish mood, so if you can find such a quote from Lewis Hamilton saying "pretty firmly that Lowe wouldn't be going there", I will personally mail you  - and only you, this offer is not open to others - five English pounds, in the form of a nice crisp note.

A fiver eh!! I have searched for it before without success, but i'll have another look today, though i wont take your fiver even if i find it, i the meantime although this isn't a quote from Lewis it does lend credence to his level of confidence he had that Lowe wouldn't be going there.

"while new recruit Lewis Hamilton insisted that Lowe would not be moving to Brackley."

"Interestingly, to show how fluid things have been at Mercedes, Hamilton insisted when he met with a few of us in Brackley at the end of January, that Lowe was not joining Mercedes,"

Those quotes are James Allen, but note the word "insisted", this is a quote from Lewis, less "insistent", but still pretty confident,

“As far as I’m aware there are no plans to bring Paddy here,” Hamilton said. “I’ve been assured by Ross that his commitment is for the long term and he is here to try to win with me, which reassures me and continues to give me a positive feeling moving forward.

“There are lots of good people here and I’ve obviously had great experiences with Paddy but he works with McLaren as far as I’m concerned.”

http://www.jamesalle...nical-director/

#406 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,151 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:11

http://www.mercedes-...for-2014-season

The MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS Formula One Team today announced that Ross Brawn will step down from his position as Team Principal at the end of 2013.

Following an extended period of open discussion between the team’s key stakeholders, Ross has chosen to hand over the team leadership to Executive Director (Business) Toto Wolff and Executive Director (Technical) Paddy Lowe.

#407 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,921 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:17

I think he'll stay in the sport, it seems he would of stayed at Merc if he'd retained control, so where will he get that control?

I think Williams would and could pretty much find a way to accommodate him. 

At McLaren/Honda, they'd need a reshuffle, but I don't rule it out.

#408 redreni

redreni

• 2,529 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:17

Great news for Ferrari, Red Bull, Mclaren. I wish Ross all the best in retirement, if in fact that is what he‘s doing.

#409 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,151 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:22

Lauda: "It is a basic fact that you cannot hold somebody back when they have chosen to move on."

#410 David1976

David1976

• 836 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:45

Lauda: "It is a basic fact that you cannot hold somebody back when they have chosen to move on."

It's true you can't.  I am a headhunter.  I know!

The question is who will take advantage of Ross's skill set.  I hope it is the FIA.  He has the ability to monitor and abolish quickly silly development paths like the EBD.

#411 Jerem

Jerem

• 176 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:53

Todt heading FIA, Ross in the head of the F1 technical group... bring Schumi to drive the SC!

#412 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,648 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:07

Interesting that there will be no Team Principal job title any longer.

Toto is Executive Director  - Business.

Paddy is Executive Director - Technical.

Who will be the defacto figure head of the team?

#413 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,214 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:19

I'm not really sure why they waited until late this week to announce this. Everyone clearly knew in Brazil. A little bit of showboating by Ross perhaps. Maybe this really is proper retirement for him.

Edited by goingthedistance, 28 November 2013 - 10:19.

#414 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,148 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:35

A fiver eh!! I have searched for it before without success, but i'll have another look today, though i wont take your fiver even if i find it, i the meantime although this isn't a quote from Lewis it does lend credence to his level of confidence he had that Lowe wouldn't be going there.

"while new recruit Lewis Hamilton insisted that Lowe would not be moving to Brackley."

"Interestingly, to show how fluid things have been at Mercedes, Hamilton insisted when he met with a few of us in Brackley at the end of January, that Lowe was not joining Mercedes,"

Those quotes are James Allen, but note the word "insisted", this is a quote from Lewis, less "insistent", but still pretty confident,

“As far as I’m aware there are no plans to bring Paddy here,” Hamilton said. “I’ve been assured by Ross that his commitment is for the long term and he is here to try to win with me, which reassures me and continues to give me a positive feeling moving forward.

“There are lots of good people here and I’ve obviously had great experiences with Paddy but he works with McLaren as far as I’m concerned.”

http://www.jamesalle...nical-director/

Hey, this website is the last upholder of the proud tradition of the £5 giveaway. Still, not wanting my fiver, I'm presuming you also don't want my loose change of about £3 which I will acknowledge the James Allen piece is worth, as far as meeting the requirement of the offer goes. It's there if you want it, as is that crisp note if you do get a suitable quote from the great man himself.

#415 swerved

swerved

• 3,615 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:37

You might be thinking about Brawn.  He had previously stated that Lowe would only be going to Mercedes if he left, except Lowe arrived while he was still there.

As for Hamilton, from what I recall he was never openly enthusiastic about Lowe's arrival, but then again he'd be putting the boot into those already there if he was.  Some, pro and negative, perhaps like to believe he runs the team and would therefore have an input into such a decision.

Well, since you posted that i've googled almost non-stop, and i cannot find the quote, and despite you planting the seed of doubt with Ross's quote  :lol:  I'm still pretty confident it was a Lewis quote, and it said simply "Paddy Lowe isn't coming here"

With no link though ? I can be as sure as i like but i can't back it up sadly. Hey Ho  :D

Anyway, more in keeping directly with the topic it should prove interesting to see what develops with Toto and Lowe but i think Brawns departure will be a loss regardless of how they do, he surely has to be one of the most shrewd operators in the paddock, I think they said on Sky that his wife had suffered some illness recently, hopefully that isn't part of his reason to leave.

#416 swerved

swerved

• 3,615 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:39

Hey, this website is the last upholder of the proud tradition of the £5 giveaway. Still, not wanting my fiver, I'm presuming you also don't want my loose change of about £3 which I will acknowledge the James Allen piece is worth, as far as meeting the requirement of the offer goes. It's there if you want it, as is that crisp note if you do get a suitable quote from the great man himself.

Haha! Appreciate the generous offer Sophie  :lol:  But i'm done googling, my eyes are sore.  :up:

#417 as65p

as65p

• 17,275 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:09

Mr. Lowe ought to know everything about Hamiltons car preferences, so I guess now he's in charge we can expect Hamilton in full flight next season. No more "I can only drive at 85 percent with this car". :up:

#418 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:15

Mr. Lowe ought to know everything about Hamiltons car preferences, so I guess now he's in charge we can expect Hamilton in full flight next season. No more "I can only drive at 85 percent with this car". :up:

*yawn*

Why make this all about Lewis?

#419 P123

P123

• 8,332 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:19

I think even your £3 is safe, because the quote I posted from Brawn stating "Paddy isn't coming" was from some time in February, so if the boss thought that then no reason why a driver would think otherwise in January.

edit- for Swerved- this is the link: http://www.telegraph...Paddy-Lowe.html

Edited by P123, 28 November 2013 - 11:27.

Advertisement

#420 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,148 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:27

@LewisHamilton32m
Massive thanks to Ross Brawn. He's been a great leader and teacher for me. Ross has built the foundations for us to succeed in 2014! #Legend

‏@LewisHamilton32m
Toto and Paddy are fantastic guys and strong leaders for the team. I've started my training already and can’t wait for 2014!

@nico_rosberg1h
was a great experience to work with Ross. he is a great leader & we shared special times like my first win and monaco win

@nico_rosberg1h
our ambition is to be leading next year. Now on we go flat out with Paddy and Toto! starting with seat fit & 2014 simulator 2morrow

#421 Coral

Coral

• 2,767 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:18

I'm very sad to hear this news, Ross Brawn has been very good for Mercedes. I would love to see him go to Williams now...if anyone can turn that team around, Ross can! I wish him all the best with whatever he decides to do.

#422 Gorma

Gorma

• 1,325 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:23

http://www.mirror.co...ercedes-1549503

“As far as I’m aware, there are no plans to bring Paddy here,” said Hamilton.

#423 Holdenboy

Holdenboy

• 97 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:34

I thought the thread was about Brawn leaving in 2013 not Hamilton.

#424 as65p

as65p

• 17,275 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:36

So, going by the statements of all people involved everyone couldn't be more happy how things went. Brawn is happy to have been there and happy to go a the same time, the drivers are happy to have worked with him but equally happy to work with other people. Mercedes is glad he has been there but also can't wait have their new management structure in place.

Normal peoples brains would explode form so much harmony... :D

#425 Gorma

Gorma

• 1,325 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:38

So, going by the statements of all people involved everyone couldn't be more happy how things went. Brawn is happy to have been there and happy to go a the same time, the drivers are happy to have worked with him but equally happy to work with other people. Mercedes is glad he has been there but also can't wait have their new management structure in place.

Normal peoples brains would explode form so much harmony... :D

That kind of harmony does not exist. I guessing the truth is far from it. As harmonious as  Schumi's exit from Ferrari.

#426 P123

P123

• 8,332 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:38

Uhuh.... and what's the boss man saying in that article?

#427 as65p

as65p

• 17,275 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:40

*yawn*

Why make this all about Lewis?

I thought the thread was about Brawn leaving in 2013 not Hamilton.

Half the posts on the last two pages are about possible effects on Hamilton / how he might like or not Lowe replacing Brawn, yet predictably it's only my post nagging you guys. Equally predictably all you can do is expressing your worries without the slightest attempt to reply on the content.

Now this really is :yawnface: for you. :wave:

#428 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,639 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:49

Said Hamilton on January 22nd 2013. They all denied it was happening even Paddy himself until it happened.

Its a pretty standard tactic within F1 PR to not give the media anything more than they need :)

#429 Holdenboy

Holdenboy

• 97 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:52

Half the posts on the last two pages are about possible effects on Hamilton / how he might like or not Lowe replacing Brawn, yet predictably it's only my post nagging you guys. Equally predictably all you can do is expressing your worries without the slightest attempt to reply on the content.

Now this really is :yawnface: for you. :wave:

You could have equally mentioned Rosberg as well since they are colleagues and how replacing Brawn with Lowe could or could not affect him or even relate it to the car as whole as to whether it might give Mercedes a competitive edge or lack of, but you chose the Hamilton option and not only what is it off topic your defence is to point fingers and say (look others did it am not the only one here doing it) which in itself is not really a defence for going off topic but hey don't let that stop you

it does also say a lot as you yourself quantify it in the context of "nagging"

Edited by Holdenboy, 28 November 2013 - 12:54.

#430 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,148 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:55

I am very sorry I helped drag out the Hamilton aspect of things, it was intended to be playful but it's also taken us a bit off course. (Although swerved, if you find your killer quote at any time, pm me for your prize or at least for the satisfaction of making me go 'huh, you were right, swerved - right all along.)

Now let's get back to talking about what happens next for Ross Brawn and/or the implications for the management structure of the Merc team.

#431 as65p

as65p

• 17,275 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:57

You could have equally mentioned Rosberg as well since they are colleagues and how replacing Brawn with Lowe could or could not affect him or even relate it to the car as whole as to whether it might give Mercedes a competitive edge or lack of, but you chose the Hamilton option and not only what is it off topic your defence is to point fingers and say (look others did it am not the only one here doing it) which in itself is not really a defence for going off topic but hey don't let that stop you

it does also say a lot as you yourself quantify it in the context of "nagging"

Well you could always give your opinion on the bolded instead of trying to advise me what I should say. How about that?

#432 dhill39

dhill39

• 418 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 13:00

I think it's a wrong move,Ross didnt like the way the team was heading,so he jump ship,can't blame him.Ross was the leader of the team,now there is no leader,that's what happens when a boardroom is in charge.

#433 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,078 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 13:03

What I wonder is how much was he frozen out so to speak a la Lewis about the MP4-28, and how much he would be able to transfer about the W05 to another team should it prove to be the class of the field. Imagine him jumping ship before the 09 season and joining a different team, would have been hugely beneficial for said team, interesting to see if this time that scenario plays out. 

#434 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,148 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 13:06

Sniff Petrol's take on things:
Brawn decides to be sacked

‘I have a lot of great memories from my time at Mercedes,’ the vaguely-bearded strategy maestro confessed. ‘From being shouted at by Toto Wolff to being ruthlessly undermined by Niki Lauda, these are the happy times I will reflect on as I am escorted from the building by security.’

#435 as65p

as65p

• 17,275 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 13:11

:D  They are always good for a laugh or two! :up:

#436 Owen

Owen

• 10,496 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 13:15

If Merc have their man calling the shots at the FIA, then everything really is in place for 2014(!)

#437 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,861 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 13:19

If Merc have their man calling the shots at the FIA, then everything really is in place for 2014(!)

Maybe the FIA should change name to MIA then: Mercedes' International Assistance.

#438 Holdenboy

Holdenboy

• 97 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 13:23

Well you could always give your opinion on the bolded instead of trying to advise me what I should say. How about that?

No thanks as its off topic. Will heed SophieB's advice and stick to the agenda of the thread (which I believe is what happens next for Ross Brawn and/or the implications for the management structure of the Merc team)

Lets move on........

#439 Option1

Option1

• 13,200 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 13:54

That is brilliant!  :rotfl:

Neil

Advertisement

#440 OSX

OSX

• 4,204 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 14:33

"I have a lot of great memories from my time at Mercedes,’ the vaguely-bearded strategy maestro confessed. ‘From being shouted at by Toto Wolff to being ruthlessly undermined by Niki Lauda, these are the happy times I will reflect on as I am escorted from the building by security."

:lol:

#441 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,338 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 14:48

Ross should come back to Ferrari... But, I don't see that occuring.

#442 Holdenboy

Holdenboy

• 97 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 14:51

Ross should come back to Ferrari... But, I don't see that occuring.

Thats what some said about Kimi, never say never

#443 Andy35

Andy35

• 3,405 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 15:31

How does the expression go, you only appreciate someone when they are gone?

Very diplomatic statement from Ross there. I could not have done that. Sniff Petrol did a good Public Eye style touche .

#444 inca_roads

inca_roads

• 1,430 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 15:53

Not happy with this development. Ross Brawn is a good guy, and Mercedes should have kept him, if they could.

#445 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,639 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 16:10

Getting sacked might be the right move if he has another post lined up - much more difficult for a team sacking you to impose/enforce any 'gardening leave' clause in your contract.

#446 DS27

DS27

• 1,053 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 16:24

Ferrari or Williams please - retirement can wait!

#447 syolase

syolase

• 203 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 17:14

Worthy read: http://www1.skysport...e-mercedes-team

#448 dhill39

dhill39

• 418 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 19:25

Great read,Ted nail it,i think the team will be a mess.Good luck Lewis and Nico,you will need it with those two in charge,ohh wait,are they in charge. :confused:

#449 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 806 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 19:34

Worthy read: http://www1.skysport...e-mercedes-team

If it's working don't fix it.

#450 Owen

Owen

• 10,496 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 19:38

Blimey, not very promising (having read that article).