* * * * * 2 votes

Suzuka Buildup ٩(◕◡◕)۶

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#51 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,588 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 13:24

I predict a Vettel win and most viewers changing the channel at about the ten lap mark.

I didn't even bother last weekend as I watched a grand total of zero laps from Korea, and looks like I missed nothing. Admitedly it was because I went out Saturday night and had something scheduled for Sunday late morning/lunch, but in previous seasons I'd definitely have found a way and to hell with sleep. A sad state of affairs. But Suzuka is Suzuka and I definitely want to catch this race, if only for the magnificent circuit!

Advertisement

#52 W154

W154

• 333 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 13:31

Does Webber have a new car for the weekend or did they repair the Korean BBQ car ?

#53 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,577 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 13:33

I didn't even bother last weekend as I watched a grand total of zero laps from Korea, and looks like I missed nothing. 

FAIL. 

#54 fatd

fatd

• 800 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 13:42

Well, Vettel has never won 5 races in a row. But this time last year, he had never won 4 in a row before.

He also has the chance to top his own total win in a season record this year, currently he's at 8 wins with 5 remaining. In 2011 he had 11 wins.

#55 OldSoldier2

OldSoldier2

• 144 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 13:43

Does Webber have a new car for the weekend or did they repair the Korean BBQ car ?

The team said they had an extra chassis for him but would check the burned one first.

Korean BBQ is very good!

#56 Bleu

Bleu

• 767 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 13:45

Is Vettel's performance in Korea qualify as a Grand Chalem?

When Vettel came out from his 1st pit stop, Mark Webber was leading him. Mark went straight to the pit after that , but there were times he was leading Vettel, ie from the exit of the pit to the entrance of the pit for a single lap.

Any F1 statistician here?  :D

Only leading at the finish line each lap matters.

#57 OldSoldier2

OldSoldier2

• 144 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 13:51

I didn't even bother last weekend as I watched a grand total of zero laps from Korea, and looks like I missed nothing. Admitedly it was because I went out Saturday night and had something scheduled for Sunday late morning/lunch, but in previous seasons I'd definitely have found a way and to hell with sleep. A sad state of affairs. But Suzuka is Suzuka and I definitely want to catch this race, if only for the magnificent circuit!

Shame you skipped the race. Nothing much to see at the front but the battles with Hulk, Lewis, Alonso, and others were worth watching. The television directors no longer bore us with continual shots of the unchallenged dude at the front. The circuit is OK but gets its bad reputation because of a poor location and lack of attendance.

I am in Asia now so race time is great but I well remember how tough it was to wake up early on Sunday for a race when I lived in Europe. Suzuka is always great and am trying to schedule my SO's plans around race time.

#58 OldSoldier2

OldSoldier2

• 144 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 13:55

Only leading at the finish line each lap matters.

F1Stats and Wikipedia both have it as a Grand Chelem as did FIA's live timing. It was Vettel's 4th. Only other current driver with one is Alonso. With one.

#59 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,067 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 13:59

On Monday Hamashima and Smedley attended a talk show in Tokyo, for the charity for orphaned kids called SANDS (which Smedley supports).

01.jpg

01.jpg

01.jpg

01.jpg

BV-RLhMCYAAusCP.jpg

http://as-web.jp/new...c_id=1&no=51711

http://togetter.com/li/574032

Smedley said, for him Massa is like his younger brother, and he'd like to support him for getting a seat in a strong team. On his next year, he'll decide after seeing Ferrari's offer. On which driver he'd like to work with, he jokingly said "Sebastian (Vettel)", but said engineers job is to extract 110% from the driver, so that dont change whomever the driver is, either Vettel or Bottas. On Hamashima, he praised  Hamashima that he was the first guy in the team who noticed the issues of this years Pirreli tyres.

Asked about next year's car, Hamashima said tyre characteristics doesnt really dictate the design of next years car. He can deliver Rory Byrnes request to Pirelli but not vice versa. Of course he's talking with Rory and giving advise from tyres perspective, taking account of how the new engine's characteristic affects tyre.

Advertisement

#60 st99

st99

• 379 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 14:01

I'm not convinced this is nailed on RB domination (in qualifying) because Hamilton was the quickest in s2 in S. Korea and s2 is quite representative of the Suzuka circuit

I think this is a Webber circuit to some extent, I hope he can stop it being 19-0 in quali this year somewhere at least

I'm not so sure about Webber outqualifying Vettel in this particular circuit. He has been on pole 4 years in a row and this is his favourite track, but maybe this year it's different.

#61 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 15:52

Not sure where to post this..

Alonso: "We did a miracle for 15 races and we try to keep this miracle alive for the remaining five."

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/110439

I don't understand the need to spew non-sense like this. He is seriously delusional..

#62 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,888 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 16:18

He should have called it a miracle after they won in China, or Barcelona.

#63 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,067 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 16:38

01.jpg

^^

these things had just arrived at Japan very late last night but are already at Suzuka in today's afternoon :D

01.jpg

01.jpg

01.jpg

http://togetter.com/li/573983

btw Samurai in Tokyo

BWCD7ipCcAAVlvn.jpg

https://twitter.com/...4803200/photo/1

samurai rides Ferrari in tokyo

20131008205614_319_1.jpg

a samurai with the real samurai

BWDWwPQCcAARYN3.jpg

BWDQL5pCUAA29m6.jpg

http://togetter.com/li/573983

Edited by muramasa, 08 October 2013 - 16:40.

#64 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,475 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 17:05

Alonso: "We did a miracle for 15 races and we try to keep this miracle alive for the remaining five."

I don't understand the need to spew non-sense like this. He is seriously delusional..

Its pretty easy to understand if you look at it from a non-hater's perspective.

#65 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 17:36

Duh, Alonso's car is always the shittiest on the grid and any results are His divine miracles. He's been saying the same thing for over 12 seasons.

#66 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,475 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 18:33

Duh, Alonso's car is always the shittiest on the grid and any results are His divine miracles. He's been saying the same thing for over 12 seasons.

People say some dumb things on here, I swear. 

#67 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 1,171 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 18:39

What about from a neutrals perspective? :p

#68 joshb

joshb

• 3,285 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 18:40

I don't really understand Alonso's comments given that the only miracle is that the championship could be over quite early when Red Bull have only recently had a relatively clear best car. For large parts, Vettel was only leading due to consistency.

#69 DaddyCool

DaddyCool

• 417 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 18:44

Is it? Up until Monaco (5 races), Ferrari was a top car, and it has been reasonably competitive in quite a few venues since then, too. "15 miracles" is quite the downplay.

#70 Lights

Lights

• 9,455 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 18:46

I don't really understand Alonso's comments given that the only miracle is that the championship could be over quite early when Red Bull have only recently had a relatively clear best car. For large parts, Vettel was only leading due to consistency.

Because it's not about Red Bull being clearly in front, it's about that Red Bull has been better than Ferrari after Spain.

#71 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,793 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 19:42

Yawn. 

#72 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 20:04

Can you stop being childish? Loosely throwing around words like hater, you hate me, etc.. No need to get touchy on every little thing.

#73 FastnLoud

FastnLoud

• 750 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 20:28

I'm quite afraid this is the kinda track where there's no stopping the RedBull/Vettel combination, though memories of the 2011 race give me some glimmer of hope.

Why? wasn't Mercedes quickest in the middle sector in Korea? Where it is all Aero basically. It will be very very close for pole between Redbull and Merc but again, Redbull's race pace will be better but traction not an issue around Suzuka.

#74 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,364 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 20:58

I love the cartoon madness of japan. I also love 747s

Edited by superdelphinus, 08 October 2013 - 21:00.

#75 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,364 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 21:01

I think we'll have Singapore levels of piss taking

#76 FastnLoud

FastnLoud

• 750 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 21:28

I think we'll have Singapore levels of piss taking

Seb leading by 30 seconds and then Christian Horner comes on the Radio " Ok Seb this is silly now, please you two hands and start using KERS and 6th and 7th gear please"

#77 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,371 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 21:50

I love the cartoon madness of japan. I also love 747s

Agreed, but I prefer 787s. :D

#78 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,047 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 22:02

I gotta be honest, I feel a savage pleasure at the way Red Bull have more or less come out of nowhere in the last 5 seasons to troll the entire grid. It's perfectly true they're ***** for the way they cater to one driver and more than a little suspicious all the bad shit seems to happen to Webber, but for the most part I'm thoroughly enjoying their domination. 95% of what Red Bull catch shit for are things other teams do anyway, or would do if they were Red Bull. F1 has always been almost entirely Richest Team Wins, and after decades of that team being either Ferrari or McLaren I'm more than happy to trade a little boredom at the title fight for a few seasons to see the big dogs taken down a peg. Particularly when you hear other teams raging at an energy drinks company is beating them, like it's unfair and they aren't a real team or something. If I was getting my ass kicked in any sport by anyone I thought wasn't taking it seriously, I'd be keeping that shit pretty quiet. It's like if you were a badass Olympic wrestler that won gold for 20 straight years and then some crazy little MMA chick starts kicking your ass, and your excuse for getting your balls handed to you is "But she's not really a wrestler!".

#79 Kristian

Kristian

• 598 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 22:07

As much as Suzuka is probably the best circuit on the calendar to marvel at the speed and grip of the cars and the skill of the drivers in qualifying trim (even more so than the modern asphalt paradise of Spa), it is utterly dull for racing unless rain plays a part in the weekend - I don't think I can recall any exciting Japanese GP in the last 15 years or so that wasn't influenced by the weather or by a championship finale. 

Obviously I'll be up to watch it, but I predict a borefest race compared to Korea in terms of action, given the forecast currently looks bone dry. But still its a pleasure to see the drivers negociating the sweeps and turns of Suzuka. 

Advertisement

#80 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,792 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:27

Ferrari were the team to beat in the 1st 5 races.

The first real crack in their armor was in Monaco where Alonso underperformed quite badly. It has not been great from them eversince.

#81 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:04

what does suzuka buildup has anything to do with what Alonso commented about over/under performing :confused: ??? he might be jebus and turn Shit into Caviar, but we don't care. we should keep on topic regarding Japanese gp build up. if anyone seriously feels the need to harp on about Alonso's comments, there is a thread already ... go there.  :evil:

http://forums.autosp...ver-performing/

don't feed the trolls by responding ... no matter how tasty the flame baits might be ...  :o

now to distract everyone ... watch post race interviews of kimi / fisi / Alonso in suzuka 05, the best japanese gp of 21st century  :love:

Edited by eronrules, 09 October 2013 - 03:06.

#82 Kobasmashi

Kobasmashi

• 365 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:37

Never mind best Japanese GP of the 21st century, that race was one of the greatest grands prix full stop

#83 as65p

as65p

• 17,298 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:18

Can you stop being childish? Loosely throwing around words like hater, you hate me, etc.. No need to get touchy on every little thing.

Try to remember that next time you read some Alonso statements in the press.  :D

#84 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:56

01.jpg

To which team do these cars belong to?

So odd seeing such expensive machines left stranded like this...

#85 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:00

by color scheme I would say Williams and Caterham

#86 search

search

• 204 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:03

Why? wasn't Mercedes quickest in the middle sector in Korea? Where it is all Aero basically. It will be very very close for pole between Redbull and Merc but again, Redbull's race pace will be better but traction not an issue around Suzuka.

that sector times could be an indicator if they would have been on a more or less similar setup, which obviously wasn't the case

#87 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,027 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:06

I gotta be honest, I feel a savage pleasure at the way Red Bull have more or less come out of nowhere in the last 5 seasons to troll the entire grid. It's perfectly true they're ***** for the way they cater to one driver and more than a little suspicious all the bad shit seems to happen to Webber, but for the most part I'm thoroughly enjoying their domination. 95% of what Red Bull catch shit for are things other teams do anyway, or would do if they were Red Bull. F1 has always been almost entirely Richest Team Wins, and after decades of that team being either Ferrari or McLaren I'm more than happy to trade a little boredom at the title fight for a few seasons to see the big dogs taken down a peg. Particularly when you hear other teams raging at an energy drinks company is beating them, like it's unfair and they aren't a real team or something. If I was getting my ass kicked in any sport by anyone I thought wasn't taking it seriously, I'd be keeping that shit pretty quiet. It's like if you were a badass Olympic wrestler that won gold for 20 straight years and then some crazy little MMA chick starts kicking your ass, and your excuse for getting your balls handed to you is "But she's not really a wrestler!".

Quality post sir.

#88 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:08

Your posts mate, are awesome.

PS. Wow, I didn't know that Webber had that much of luck to be honest  :stoned:

#89 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:35

Merc should do well as Suzuka have only 2 slow corners, rest is pretty much all fast stuff. Maybe in this "typical Red Bull" track we shall see a little bit closer fight for victory than usual.

#90 BorkoF2012

BorkoF2012

• 857 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:07

Vettel's winning streak of 4 races in 2011 stopped in Suzuka. He has now won four in a row. And next race is Suzuka. Let's hope 2011 repeats.

edit: actually I was wrong about 2011, he won 3 in a row then, I thought Korea was before Japan :drunk:

Let's just hope he doesn't win :p

Edited by BorkoF2012, 09 October 2013 - 10:10.

#91 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:18

Vettel's winning streak of 4 races in 2011 stopped in Suzuka. He has now won four in a row. And next race is Suzuka. Let's hope 2011 repeats.

edit: actually I was wrong about 2011, he won 3 in a row then, I thought Korea was before Japan :drunk:

Let's just hope he doesn't win :p

then you'll need these ....  :o

will-e-coyote-acme-products.jpg

#92 Bart

Bart

• 4,237 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:35

Is there going to be a second DRS zone at Suzuka? The one down the pit straight is useless, but I can't see where else they could put one.

#93 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,792 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:41

Is there going to be a second DRS zone at Suzuka? The one down the pit straight is useless, but I can't see where else they could put one.

There is only 1 DRS zone in Suzuka.

This was made known by the FIA since the start of the season.

#94 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,469 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:47

Was the man who painted the red & white squares drunk at the time?

#95 Arcadi

Arcadi

• 28 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:48

Utter bullshit.

If Red Bull continues dominating for three additional years, you'll be the first whining about "I need a change, this is becoming boring!"

You're the ultimate weathercock.

#96 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,469 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:49

The bookies are offering 20-1 against Vettel winning the next 5 races, sounds good to me... I reckon Vettel was sandbagging 90% of the race last Sunday.

#97 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,792 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:54

Merc should do well as Suzuka have only 2 slow corners, rest is pretty much all fast stuff. Maybe in this "typical Red Bull" track we shall see a little bit closer fight for victory than usual.

You have got 3 extremely slow corners where traction would be premium - Turn 9, 11 and 17. Then a couple of 3rd gear corners at Turn 2 and 14. 

#98 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,792 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:59

The bookies are offering 20-1 against Vettel winning the next 5 races, sounds good to me... I reckon Vettel was sandbagging 90% of the race last Sunday.

I would not take that bet. Love to see what the odd is for Vettel not winning the next 5 races.

#99 Exb

Exb

• 1,311 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:42

Press conference line up:
Thursday 10 Oct 15:00 local time - 06.00 GMT (07.00 BST)
Button, Vettel, Pic, Vergne, Hulkenberg and Maldonado

Friday 11 Oct 16:00 local time - 07.00 GMT (08.00 BST)
Pat Fry (Ferrari), Jonathan Neale (McLaren), James Key (Toro Rosso), Paul Monaghan (Red Bull), Dave Greenwood (Marussia) and Tom McCullough (Sauber)

Advertisement

#100 SamH123

SamH123

• 1,220 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:44

Which bookmaker?  I can't find it.  20/1 would be v good value in my opinion

The odds for Vettel not winning the next 5 would be about 1/50 if the 20-1 price is real, so not really worth taking