Photo

Team Lotus mechanics - Formula Junior

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ed holly

ed holly

• 387 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 23:15

Team Lotus were one of the dominant players in the Formula Junior story with Peter Arundell arguably their best driver.

But behind the scenes, did Peter and Trevor Taylor and the other drivers look after their own cars or was their Lotus mechanics and if so who were they in that era.

Advertisement

#2 cedricselzer

cedricselzer

• 116 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:49

Trevor Taylor's car was looked after by his brother Mike and Peter Arundell's car by Ray Parsons. Ray eventually got a works drive in a Lotus Cortina.  The Juniors were maintained in Lotus Components and I would imagine they paid all or part of the running expensed. The other so called works drivers would have got some discount on the cars and spares only.

#3 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:47

Trevor Taylor's car was looked after by his brother Mike and Peter Arundell's car by Ray Parsons. Ray eventually got a works drive in a Lotus Cortina.  The Juniors were maintained in Lotus Components and I would imagine they paid all or part of the running expensed. The other so called works drivers would have got some discount on the cars and spares only.

I seem to recall Ray Parsons driving the abortive monocoque F3 car with the glass-fibre outer skin - Can't remember the type number.

#4 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 14:04

I seem to recall Ray Parsons driving the abortive monocoque F3 car with the glass-fibre outer skin - Can't remember the type number.

The first Lotus 27 Formula Juniors had fibreglass outer panels, later replaced with aluminium.

#5 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 14:50

The first Lotus 27 Formula Juniors had fibreglass outer panels, later replaced with aluminium.

Thought it was, but if you post here and get a type number wrong you get a veritable snowstorm of corrections...

#6 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 15:01

Thought it was, but if you post here and get a type number wrong you get a veritable snowstorm of corrections...

That's why I didn't attempt to say how many (5 or 6?) had fibreglass outers!

You get a similar response if you mention spelling mistakes in a book!!

Edited by Peter Morley, 08 October 2013 - 15:01.

#7 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:18

Does anyone know if Ray Parsons is still with us? I seem to recall that he was an Aussie, is that correct? Had the nickname 'Digger' according to that film made about the Sebring saloon car race with the Lotus-Cortinas.