Photo

Worst F1 driver ever

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,593 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 20:52

Taki Inoue named himself as the worst F1 driver ever. But I don't agree with that. We had some hobby drivers centuries ago.

What do you think? Who was the worst F1 driver ever?

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 21:31

Haven't we done this before?

#3 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 644 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 21:53

I think we have. Also, does "worst" mean: fewest points scored? slowest? most accident-prone? least skilled?

#4 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,179 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 22:12

Least skilled if you ask me, not scoring points can definitely not be the qualifier.

So I would be looking for someone, who were not able to qualify, or who qualified way away from what the car was capable of. On top of my head a driver like Rebaque can not have been real F1 material, were it not for money. But I am sure there have been more less qualified drivers, would it have to be drivers who were present at a F1 Grand Prix, there was a late 30ies, early 40ies guy some years ago think he was Israeli, who practiced some 11 seconds of pace what the same car could do in same session.

:cool:

#5 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 644 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 22:18

Chanoch Nissany.

#6 JtP1

JtP1

• 753 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 23:16

Bernie Ecclestone, although he was so bad he never qualified for the race.

#7 GD66

GD66

• 2,179 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:01

So his behaviour is caused by revenge... :lol:

#8 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,398 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:55

Haven't we done this before?

We have indeed, of course, and History Fan knows this very well as he started the second thread himself, very recently:

Worst ever F1 driver

A grid of the 26 worst drivers

#9 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 5,279 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:11

Eliseo Salazar? (Acccording to Piquet at least)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3SXbGDcMeo8

Edited by gruntguru, 10 October 2013 - 05:24.

#10 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:16

Bernie Ecclestone, although he was so bad he never qualified for the race.

Primarily because he never entered one (unless you can provide contemporary evidence to the contrary)

#11 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:45

Primarily because he never entered one (unless you can provide contemporary evidence to the contrary)

Uh, yes he did. Do your research. Ecclestone entered both the 1958 Monaco and 1958 British Grand Prix, and failed to qualify on both occasions.

#12 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,175 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:04

Now, having worked for BCE, AND having been given the task of building the official FOM/FIA database (which included access to ALL CSI, FIA, FOM and team records (some of which I admit weren't in the best condition) Bernard Charles Ecclestone never officially entered a Grand Prix (an entry would have had to deposited weeks in advance), but at a few Grand Prix, he was asked to "have a go", and as he himself put it, " I went out to see what is what like, but it was never a serious attempt, and even with advanced warning and time to prepare,  think I'd have been at the back".

So no official entry, but the organisers invited him to take part in qualifying/practise, and had he a] been quick enough, and b] wanted to, he would have been allowed to race, but he wasn't, and didn't!!

#13 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,373 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:54

We have indeed, of course, and History Fan knows this very well as he started the second thread himself, very recently

But this time he stretches his time frame significantly - because...

We had some hobby drivers centuries ago.

So Formula 1 cannot be just 65 or so years old but must be much older.

HistoryFan obviously knows more about that than any other TNFer. I'm looking forward for threads on "Historical Research" like "F1 in the 1800s".

#14 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:49

Kimgshark - I did ask for contemporary evidence, which of course you were unable to provide

Steve - thanks for stating more clearly what I've always known :)

#15 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,041 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:54

Can a grumpy old man ask what this umpteenth "list" thread has to do with nostalgia?
Truly 'tis said that nostalgia isn't what it was.

Edited by Allan Lupton, 10 October 2013 - 07:55.

#16 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,363 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:02

Do not feed the troll.

Over and over again the same inane sort of questions.

#17 GD66

GD66

• 2,179 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:33

Uh, yes he did. Do your research.

:eek:  :eek:  Are you a Thrillseeker, King ? :lol:

#18 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,114 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:41

Now, having worked for BCE, AND having been given the task of building the official FOM/FIA database (which included access to ALL CSI, FIA, FOM and team records (some of which I admit weren't in the best condition) Bernard Charles Ecclestone never officially entered a Grand Prix (an entry would have had to deposited weeks in advance), but at a few Grand Prix, he was asked to "have a go", and as he himself put it, " I went out to see what is what like, but it was never a serious attempt, and even with advanced warning and time to prepare,  think I'd have been at the back".

So no official entry, but the organisers invited him to take part in qualifying/practise, and had he a] been quick enough, and b] wanted to, he would have been allowed to race, but he wasn't, and didn't!!

1958 was Bernies first attempt at F1 racing.Bought 2 Connaughts-were entered at Monaco for Lewis Evans & Salvadori I think-may have put his own name down as reserve driver? Only 16 were alowed to start of 28 that practiced.

#19 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,076 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:08

Twinny, can you close/delete this please?

This gets us nowhere and we had it TWICE before.

Thank you.

Advertisement

#20 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:33

1958 was Bernies first attempt at F1 racing.Bought 2 Connaughts-were entered at Monaco for Lewis Evans & Salvadori I think-may have put his own name down as reserve driver? Only 16 were alowed to start of 28 that practiced.

...and before that in NZ for the same two drivers

And we can all speculate, but I've never seen any contemporary reference to BCE as an officially listed reserve driver for Monaco or any other race.

See Post 12 :)

#21 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,398 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:56

We went through all this fairly comprehensively in this earlier thread:

Ecclestone & the Monaco 1958 non-qualifiers

In that thread, as David says, there was no evidence produced showing that BCE was on any official entry list, and quite a lot to indicate that he wasn't. I do hope Kingshark will be able to show us the errors of our ways.

#22 E.B.

E.B.

• 1,749 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 13:57

Uh, yes he did. Do your research.

Oh the irony.

#23 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,209 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 14:41

Best thread ever?

#24 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,712 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 18:08

Best thread ever?

I would go with UNF. http://www.britishfa...hreads/unf.html

#25 alansart

alansart

• 4,015 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 18:13

But that is Nostalgia  :rolleyes:

#26 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,321 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 18:19

OK, let's close the thread with the three names.

Of those who had an appearance in a GP weekend, Chanoch Nissany.

Of those who tried to qualify, Otto Stuppacher.

Of those who actually raced, Ottorino Volonterio.

Job's a good 'un.

#27 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,054 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 19:37

What about the only driver who sat on the grid and said to himself "If he leads me into the first bend, then I will drive into him"?

Ayrton Senna, Suzuka, 1990 (as he admitted later)

Or the only driver to be disqualified from a whole season?

Michael Schumacher, 1997

Or have I misunderstood the question?

Edited by D-Type, 10 October 2013 - 19:41.

#28 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,589 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 21:16

What about the only driver who sat on the grid and said to himself "If he leads me into the first bend, then I will drive into him"?
Ayrton Senna, Suzuka, 1990 (

Having been on the receiving end of Prost's antics at the same corner in 1989, Senna did not need to see the overhead helicopter camera shot which made the 1989 incident very clear....... Link to camera shots on youtube originally posted by Simon Lewis has now been removed.
Roger Lund

#29 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,179 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 22:07

In the Nostalgia forum where we who on occasion peek in are constantly reminded of the trolls and fanboys in the Paddock and Racing forum really have to have Senna / Prost discussion in a thread dedicated to the worst F1 drivers?

I see a raised finger in many threads here "already covered in xyz thread, use search"

Behave as you want visitors here to behave, or lose the we are better than the other forums attitude, you can not have it both ways.

#30 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,962 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 00:20

It no longer is as it used to be...

Certainly, people can be directed to search topics, but a link to help them out is a nice touch.

#31 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,041 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:26

It no longer is as it used to be...

Certainly, people can be directed to search topics, but a link to help them out is a nice touch.

At present "search" works so much less well than before the forum downgrade that one can't be too critical.
However the OP should surely remember the many unwelcome "list" threads he/she has started here.

#32 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,589 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:19

I felt obliged to counter Duncan's assertion. Search under Suzuka 1989 and check Simon's thread Race footage you remember but nev see any more. The link is there but has been pulled. BTW I regard this sort of thread as utterly fatuous and alien to the original concept of TNF as an historical record of motor racing facts. But, if you are afraid to hear the answers, do not pose the questions.
Roger Lund

#33 P.Dron

P.Dron

• 191 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:55

Having been on the receiving end of Prost's antics at the same corner in 1989, Senna did not need to see the overhead helicopter camera shot which made the 1989 incident very clear....... Link to camera shots on youtube originally posted by Simon Lewis has now been removed.
Roger Lund

It was not the same corner.

#34 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,054 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:33

Seeing that I introduced the Senna/Prost issue, can I remind everyone of the difference that sets Suzuka 1990 apart from other on-track coming togethers - namely that it was premeditated as Senna later admitted. I thought this is commonly accepted.

Edited by D-Type, 11 October 2013 - 22:11.

#35 AdrianThompson

AdrianThompson

• 16 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 16:36

I realize the cognoscenti may not approve of threads like this cluttering up their hallowed ground.  But to those of us in the great unwashed they are great.  TNF is the only forum I visit here and I’ve learnt a ton of information.  The search function is next to useless so I can understand people asking the same questions time and time again.  Also massive threads become unreadable if you’re looking for a particular bit of information.  Until this thread appeared I’d never heard of Chanoch Nissany, Otto Stuppacher or Ottorino Volonterio, but now I have three new names to go and search for.  So please, cut the OP and other neophytes such as myself some slack?

#36 GD66

GD66

• 2,179 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 00:22

Good point Adrian. Since the "improvements" the search facility is pretty hopeless, plus newbies may be enquiring after a subject that is completely new to them, in the hope of furthering their historical knowledge or understanding. So, a kindly word and a link to the thread would do a lot more than tiredly bemoaning the repetition of a subject that may well have been flogged to death, but possibly years ago.

#37 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,179 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 13:00

As written, a link to an old thread is not always the solution. Parsing through a long thread for the possible chance that the answer a poster is looking for may or may not be there is discouraging and does not make for a welcoming way into any forum. There is nothing wrong in rehashing anything repeatedly year after year, if a thread is worthless it will sink away and no one will miss it, if there is interest and substance it will remain on page one.

If the posters and guardians of the hallowed TNF are so insistent on new threads not being opened, they should quote the opening post in it's entirety into the thread which have already covered this, and then make a polite post in the new thread:

<sample>

Dear KWSN - DSM,

This was previously covered in 'link', I have quoted your opening post over there, and suggest that we continue the discussions over there, this way we will continue to hold all the information dear to us all in one single place. You may find all your questions already answered. Happy reading.

</sample>