Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

MAVTV 500 IndyCar World Championships

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

Poll: It's the big one... (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win the championship?

1. Dixon (10 votes [24.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.39%

2. Castroneves (4 votes [9.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.76%

3. Sato (27 votes [65.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 65.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#451 Risil

Risil

• 13,899 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 23:02

Hahahaha DJ Willy P's wife sounds like a mom talking to a baby who managed to eat a spoonful of baby food all by himself.

Here is another reason why Indycar is the best car series. Many thanks to Will Power, Racer magazine and Fuzzy's Vodka.

Advertisement

#452 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,043 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 00:09

Sounds like Fuzzy's Vodka won't be moving its sponsorship to Will's car any time soon.

#453 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 7,046 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 00:13

I've never had Fuzzy's vodka because the first time I heard of it I imagined a bottle of cotton candy that got you drunk, and no matter how good Fuzzy's vodka might be, it won't be that good.

#454 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,043 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 00:37

I really don't get premium vodka as a concept.  Vodka isn't that complicated of a drink.  The best you can make it is non-terrible, after which you really have nothing left to work with.

#455 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:43

I really don't get premium vodka as a concept.  Vodka isn't that complicated of a drink.  The best you can make it is non-terrible, after which you really have nothing left to work with.

You're being rational about it.  Most consumers aren't rational.  The companies that understand this, and manipulate it/play it to their advantage, are the ones that make money like gangbusters.

#456 teejay

teejay

• 3,654 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:44

You can always taste the difference between a 20 dollar bottle and a 50 dollar bottle.

A bottle of either means you dont taste much after for a while though

#457 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,161 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:55

Fuzzy's does a commemorative "500" bottle that also looks good on the shelf.

7eaff169-09ee-4391-83d6-0dacb18cd94b_zps

#458 Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck

• 2,517 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:19

No interviews with Helio? I wanted to see him cry.

CC

#459 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,161 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:58

No interviews with Helio? I wanted to see him cry.

CC

Didn't happen (the crying, that is); his interview was telecast live soon after the finish. He was professional as expected. He would have likely been crying if he won though. Plus climb a fence. Dixon has more of an after-race demeanor that is consistent to the drivers of past that I admire so much. He acts like he's been there before.

Advertisement

#460 Peat

Peat

• 1,248 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 13:01

Having had a day to ruminate (i was too tired yesterday after trying to stay up all night....) i can safely say that that was a fantastic motor race.

The low DF setups for Fontana have them on such a knife-edge that it is so tense to watch. Saying that, they can run almost any line they like (for a while.... I'm looking at YOU, Carlos).

Though i'm no great fan of either, i tend to like Dixon more so i'm happy to see him get his 3rd championship. He is by a little margin, the most complete driver in the series IMHO.

But, could a fired up Power, sans Oval-Monkey, be a truly awesome force next year? Looking forward to it starting, but not ending in flippin' August.

#461 Peat

Peat

• 1,248 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 13:03

Dixon has more of an after-race demeanor that is consistent to the drivers of past that I admire so much. He acts like he's been there before.

I think you've hit he nail on the head. Cool customer.

#462 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 13:41

Didn't happen (the crying, that is); his interview was telecast live soon after the finish. He was professional as expected. He would have likely been crying if he won though. Plus climb a fence. Dixon has more of an after-race demeanor that is consistent to the drivers of past that I admire so much. He acts like he's been there before.

Though I guess in Dixon's case, he has been there before...twice.

#463 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,161 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 13:53

Though I guess in Dixon's case, he has been there before...twice.

And behaved in a consistant manner when he won his first; and second.

#464 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,282 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 15:12

Dixon only shows emotion when he thinks he's being persecuted

#465 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,161 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 15:41

Dixon only shows emotion when he thinks he's being persecuted

We did see that also this season. Well stated, at least he wasn't crying actual tears.

#466 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 16:17

Peat, on 21 Oct 2013 - 09:01, said:

But, could a fired up Power, sans Oval-Monkey, be a truly awesome force next year? 

IMO he should bring an Oval-Monkey to every race. Lewis has Roscoe, why not?

monkey_middle_finger_20100104_1363225097
Throw on a little Verizon firesuit and a press-pass, et voila!  
You could even train him to throw turds at Marshall Pruett.  :up:

Edited by gm914, 21 October 2013 - 16:20.

#467 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,161 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:27

More reason to respect Dixon, from Racer:

DIXON CELEBRATING THE LIFE OF HIS FORMER TEAMMATE

Target Chip Ganassi Racing's Scott Dixon had the pleasure of having the late Tony Renna as his teammate on two occasions.

As pups coming up through CART's Indy Lights Series, Dixon and Renna formed a strong team and built and even stronger bond at PacWest Racing. Dixon would go on to win the Lights title in 2000 and graduate to the CART Indy car series with them in 2001. Renna wasn't as fortunate, but persistence paid off when he eventually landed with the Kelly Racing IRL outfit and starred while standing in for the injured Al Unser Jr.

Renna was signed to partner with Dixon at the Ganassi team for 2004, but died during a test with the team at Indianapolis on Oct. 22, 2003. Just as Patrick Long had a Tony Renna tribute helmet made to wear during Saturday's Petit Le Mans ALMS race at Road Atlanta, Dixon will also carry a tribute to Renna on his helmet with the 10-year anniversary of his passing just days away.

Although he's focused on beating Helio Castroneves to the IndyCar title, Dixon never shies away from talking about his fallen friend who made such a profound impact on his life and career.

“From my standpoint, he was one of the best teammates I've had,” Dixon told RACER. “He was a caring guy. And in this industry that's very hard to find. Whether it was coming back from a test or a race he would come pick you up at the airport. Whether you got yourself in trouble, he's the guy that you could always rely on. For me, it was all great memories with Tony.”

Just as many have said over the years, losing Renna before he was able to hit the big time with Ganassi was a cruel ending for the Californian. He was a star in the making, according to Dixon.

“That's what I was looking forward to the most with Tony because he was a talented guy,” he said. “He was very smooth, very good with everybody. He kind of reminded me of Dan [Wheldon]. He wasn't maybe the big personality that Dan was, but he was a thoughtful guy and he was always about the finer things and about attention to detail. That always stood out to me.”

Dixon also spoke to the lessons he learned from Renna that have stuck with him long after his loss.

“I think with all of us and how busy our lives can be, Tony was good at separating his professional life and his personal life and the people that he cares for,” he added. “So you see those parts and I try to be better at separating. And I think that's helped me a lot. The racing is a big part and it's our career and our lives but you've also got your loved ones. Even if you've got to pick up the phone to call your sister or your family, it goes a long way. And that's for me what Tony was good at. It sort of ties in with attention to detail on a lot of things.”

Wednesday marked the two-year anniversary of Dan Wheldon's death – another teammate and dear friend to Dixon, which has made this one of the more powerful spans the Kiwi has experienced while trying to concentrate on winning an IndyCar championship.

Yeah, for sure; obviously with Dan's stuff, because it's still so fresh as well, I'll obviously try to spend time or talk to the ones that who were close to him, and a lot of multi-tasking is involved this week, without a doubt,” he admitted.

It's too early for Dixon to plan any championship-related celebrations, but he does know where he'll celebrate the life of his friend once he leaves Fontana and heads home to Indy.

“Next Tuesday we'll go up to the Speedway on the 22nd for Tony, have a bit of a picnic there in Turn 3 where he crashed, to reminisce and talk about those days,” he said quietly. “I'm not sure who will come in yet but it'll be good to catch up with some of the people who knew him and loved him. It's times like these where it gets hard and there's a lot of sorrow and it tugs at the heartstrings.

“But the other side of it, it's good to chat and reminisce and talk about the good times and talk about all those things about an important friend like Tony. Racing is a small community and it's good that – it's really a fortunate part that everybody still stays pretty tight, stays together. Even though it's over a bad thing, you get a little closer.”

#468 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,361 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:05

Okay, as I was working the Petit Le Mans last weekend, I didn't have time to catch this race until tonight.

Wow.

One of the best races this year for me, easily, in a year full of good ones--never mind the championship scenario. This is the first oval race I've actually been able to maintain full attention to from start to finish, so that's saying something. :lol: IndyCar's star is rising, and that can only be good news. I've no idea why I wasn't following IndyCar before this year, but I'm glad that I am now: the series is awesome, the drivers are awesome, and the people here who follow it are also awesome. See you all again here next year--I'm looking forward to it! :wave: