Photo
* * * - - 7 votes

What are the chances of Sebastian Vettel heading to Ferrari in 2015?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

Poll: What are the chances? (107 member(s) have cast votes)

Will Sebastian Vettel move to Ferrari in 2015?

1. Yes (35 votes [32.71%])

Percentage of vote: 32.71%

2. No (57 votes [53.27%])

Percentage of vote: 53.27%

3. Depends - see my brilliant response below (15 votes [14.02%])

Percentage of vote: 14.02%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 21:30

So what are the chances Sebastian will go to Ferrari in 2015?

There have been rumors since 2010 of course, what with Sebastian remarking that he has always had a fondness for the team, its history and place in the sport, and would like to drive for them one day.  Plus he grew up cheering on Michael in the Red Car.  In addition, Ferrari's head honchos have not been shy when it comes to making it clear that they would welcome Sebastian one day in the future.  The latest comments regarding Seb from Domenicali in Japan:

"Maybe he is looking for a new challenge" ... "He has a contract with Red Bull, we have contracts with our drivers. I would not rule anything out, but this is nothing we will deal with in the near future," Domenicali insisted...

"Sebastian often reminds me of the good old times with Michael (Schumacher) here with us,"

He said there is truth to the claims Vettel - like Schumacher before him - is utterly dominating F1 at present because of his superior car:  "That's absolutely right," said Domenicali, "but it's not everything.  Michael was always able to deliver the results, which is crucial.  Deserve or not, he definitely did it, so congratulations Sebastian!"  

http://www.motorspor...-to-schumacher/

The article adds that Alonso is rumored to be unhappy and might move to Macca/Honda in 2015 (To discuss this, go here:  http://forums.autosp...nda-eye-alonso/), our only take away from that part of the article in relation to this thread is that there may be an opening at Ferrari as of 2015.

Sebastian signed a contract with Red Bull through 2015, however, buying out contracts (especially if Ferrari can use money gained by another team's buyout) is not out of the question.  Another factor though, is Sebastian's loyalty to RBR, and unless there is an opt out clause, he might remain with RBR regardless until 2016.  But this poll/thread is about the more dicey 2015 move.   Also, car performance under the new regs has to be taken into consideration.  That is not to say it will make the greatest difference in the end - if Sebastian is ready for a challenge, he may go independent of that factor - and may still be desired even if Ferrari is doing well.

So lots to discuss.  Keep it friendly, no driver v. driver and please discuss Alonso to Macca at the above thread. 

Edited by bourbon, 12 October 2013 - 21:35.

Advertisement

#2 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 21:36

I think it all depends if Alonso leaves for McLaren or not. Vettel and Raikkonen driving for Ferrari would be epic.

#3 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 21:40

I think it all depends on.. no, wait, random people on forums don't know about this kind of stuff.

#4 NexusIcon

NexusIcon

• 154 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 21:42

I think 2016 might be more realistic.

A) His contract will be up at RBR
B) Kimi and Fernando are loosely contracted until then (I believe)
C) He won't want to appear to be running away if the 2014 RB10 isn't up to scratch
D) if the RB10 helps him win his 5th WDC in a row there's a good chance the RB11 will offer him the magic 6th consecutive title.

That's my thinking.

#5 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,081 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 21:47

2015 no way, eventually possible.

:cool:

#6 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 21:49

I think it depends on the 2014 Ferrari/motor.  If it's OK, he'll go, if it's a lost cause he won't.

#7 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 21:51

Depends on what happens with the new regulations.

I am sure Bernie with the sports interest in mind, will be pushing for Seb to go to Ferrari to open up a new dynamic if RB/Seb lock out 2014. I believe Alonso will move to McLaren for 2015 so there could be a seat available next to Kimi. If Alonso leaves and Seb stays, Ferrari can make a move for a Hulky or Romain to fill the gap if they want to wait for 2016 to offer Seb a deal then.

For are so many "ifs" and "buts" to this that I have to say depends really. 

There is the scenario that is highly unlikely that Riccardo will upset Seb, lowering Seb' stock and worth. Other teams may also offer Seb a deal, I am thinking McLaren could be sniffing about.

One thing is for sure though, if Ferrari are as bad as the rumors suggest in 2014, I bet they throw their hands up and press the reset button and will at least try and get Seb for 2015. Ferrari I believe need to do something radical due to the glass ceiling they have encountered from 2010-2013, no titles with arguably the best driver on the grid and a massive budget does not reflect well. Seb and some RB personnel could be what the doctor ordered fro 2015/2016.

In short, I think Seb will end up at Ferrari, more likely 2016 than 2015.

#8 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 22:00

40%.

He won't run into the decision of signing with them before the 2014 cars go out and he knows signing for Ferrari doesn't become a deathspell to his aspirations. Alonso's struggles have illustrated how building a WDC winning team is an extraordinary task.

So he'll wait for a longer while.

#9 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,939 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 22:04

Approximately less than zero.

#10 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,299 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 22:07

Several wins, poles and titles later. I reckon he'll win one more for RBR (besides 2013) and then he'll be off to a new challenge. Unless RBR suddenly start losing title fights massively in the next two years. 

Ferrari will eventually be his final destination, I assume. Whether that will be in 2015, very hard to tell. 

#11 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 22:30

I'm a little surprise by the comparatively large number of no votes, so far.   I got the feeling that most people felt he'd move over to Ferrari in 2015, by one means or another. 

#12 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,473 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 22:34

I'm a little surprise by the comparatively large number of no votes, so far.   I got the feeling that most people felt he'd move over to Ferrari in 2015, by one means or another. 

People can be stupid, but not that stupid.

2014 will be the most game changing season since maybe 1966 - everybody will first wait how that will pan out.

#13 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 2,581 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 22:52

He'll assess their situation. If they're faster than RBR he'll be there for sure. 

#14 ASFA2011

ASFA2011

• 298 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 23:13

I have always wonder why is the obsession with Vettel fans to see him at Ferrari , why on earth would SV even consider to go to Ferrari or any other team for that matter when he has a rocket ship at his disposal pretty much every year and when he can see that year after year this team ( Ferrari ) fails miserably to come out with a decent car ?

#15 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 23:27

Hard to see him leaving Redbull unless something major changed.  There would always be time later on to go to Ferrari.

#16 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 6,773 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 23:28

I have always wonder why is the obsession with Vettel fans to see him at Ferrari , why on earth would SV even consider to go to Ferrari or any other team for that matter when he has a rocket ship at his disposal pretty much every year and when he can see that year after year this team ( Ferrari ) fails miserably to come out with a decent car ?

The same reason Alonso went there.  The tradition, the heritage.. etc etc.

#17 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 23:28

Don't be presumptuous.  As a Vettel fan, I would be delighted if he never went near the place, but he has expressed a desire to go to Ferrari, so I've come to terms with it.  What peaked my interest at the moment was the article which tried to hint at a 2015 possible hook up, and that got me thinking that most people might be thinking that way.  But it appears that might not be the case. :D

Edited by bourbon, 12 October 2013 - 23:28.

#18 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 23:30

I voted no, I think he'll honor his contract with the Bulls.

Perhaps I am a little naïve but Vettel & Red Bull have become the dream team and I don't think this association is going to break off easily. 

#19 ASFA2011

ASFA2011

• 298 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 23:33

The same reason Alonso went there.  The tradition, the heritage.. etc etc.

It is a shame that tradition , heritage , prestige and blah , blah don't win you Championships

Advertisement

#20 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 23:36

I think there is a reasonable chance. I go back and think that very amusing comment Vettel made at the next day PC when Raikkonen's manager claimed that Raikkonen won't drive for Red Bull next year.  Vettel said they are still young and could drive somewhere else together. He seemed to know a lot of things given that time.I presume there has been lot of pleasantries being exchanged between Vettel and Ferrari recently and something may be brewing for the future.

#21 krea

krea

• 2,152 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 23:39

Dunno... but you should expect that people will talk about Vettel and Ferrari if Domenicali likes to talk more about Vettel than Alonso for some reason in the last years.

#22 Tron

Tron

• 614 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:02

It's already done. Too much love between him and LDM.

He's got so many records he won't mind taking an adjustment year for the team to gel around him.

#23 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 3,268 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:08

Vettel is not looking for a challenge, he is a WDC machine. He wants no lean years, only championship winning years. He wants records and doesn't want to do a Schumacher or Hamilton. He will jump from RB only when Ferrari is a dead cert to win a championship.

I'm not convinced that Vettel will go to Ferrari. He will go where the success is. He will stay with Newey and RB because of the previous titles, success and protection. Why risk 3-4 years without a title at Ferrari? Newey=WDC.

#24 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:16

It is a shame that tradition , heritage , prestige and blah , blah don't win you Championships

Did for Michael...

#25 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,875 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:18

If they can give him a WDC winning car, he will move to Ferrari tomorrow, if not, never, or at least till he is very old and want to end his career in Ferrari.

#26 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:27

Unlikely, so I voted no. It seems Alonso, Raikkonen and Vettel all have some sort of contract for 2015.

I don't know enough about Vettel to guess how much emotion, prestige and money plays a role in this. Then again, that only gets you so far.

#27 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 3,268 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:28

I think there is a reasonable chance. I go back and think that very amusing comment Vettel made at the next day PC when Raikkonen's manager claimed that Raikkonen won't drive for Red Bull next year.  Vettel said they are still young and could drive somewhere else together. He seemed to know a lot of things given that time.I presume there has been lot of pleasantries being exchanged between Vettel and Ferrari recently and something may be brewing for the future.

I kinda get the feeling that he was on a damage limitation PR spin. I'm pretty sure he blocked the Kimi move. Kimi and his interaction after Korea was very telling. No eye contact and minimal acknowledgement. Completely different to previous races before Kimi signed for Ferrari. Kimi knows (and probably accepts) that Vettel blocked it. It will come out in time. RB would have been nuts to say no to Kimi over Riccardo for a season or two.

#28 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:30

Kimi and Alonso are both contracted trough 2015, Actually Alonso has contract till the end of 2016 and Kimi has option for 2016. Vettel has contract with Red Bull till the end of 2015. of course rumours about Alonso-McLaren are getting stronger all the time.

#29 skc

skc

• 1,748 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:32

Would be pretty hilarious if he went to Ferrari and continued to dominate

#30 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:39

I kinda get the feeling that he was on a damage limitation PR spin. I'm pretty sure he blocked the Kimi move. Kimi and his interaction after Korea was very telling. No eye contact and minimal acknowledgement. Completely different to previous races before Kimi signed for Ferrari. Kimi knows (and probably accepts) that Vettel blocked it. It will come out in time. RB would have been nuts to say no to Kimi over Riccardo for a season or two.

I don't know what you're talking about. They were probably just tired. They have been very friendly with each other on driver parades since Kimi signed with Ferrari, and they don't have to hang out with each other at all on drivers parades if they don't want to.

#31 katmen

katmen

• 822 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:41

it all will depend how the ferrari engine performs, if rumours that ferraris engine for 2014 is thirsty are correct, no way for 2015 move,

vettel is taught in  the past that seeing checkered flag is must.... 

#32 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:53

Vettel loves stats and records. You only have to look at how he pushes for fastest lap against the will of this team. Piping Schumacher's 7 titles is a dream that is could become a reality, and fulfilling it requires a very fast car. Although driver skills account for a lot in F1, the car makes the biggest difference. As long as Red Bull has the fastest car, I cannot see Vettel leaving the team for a slower one. After all, he wouldn't want one of his rivals driving an unbeatable car. 

#33 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:18

With 4 or 5 WDCs with RBR, he might be tempted to do the same move Michael did, but only if the 2014 Ferrari is not totally crap. Unfortunately the rumour mill seems to say that the Ferrari Turbo engine is the worst, so a crap car is quite possible.

#34 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:30

Newey said he does not want to move to Italy.

So, No

#35 destiny

destiny

• 114 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:52

Hard to see him leaving Redbull unless something major changed.  There would always be time later on to go to Ferrari.

Yes, It is very difficult to win Championships, see Alonso without a title for 7 yrs, hamilton for 5 yrs now.

Vettel would stay at RBR and win as may titles possible and would leave only when he is sure RBR is in a decline for years to come. He is only 26 yrs old.He  has all the time in the world to drive for Ferrari before he retires.

I feel if he keeps winning at RBR, he would not leave the team till he wins his 7th or 8 title..

#36 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,245 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:53

I have no idea why Vettel would have any plans to leave easily the best team in F1.

#37 aray

aray

• 5,796 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:57

if 2014 Ferrari shows speed,he will....otherwise no...no matter what he says,he won't jump to a mid-pack Ferrari just to prove himself..

#38 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 13:04

I have no idea why Vettel would have any plans to leave easily the best team in F1.

yeah... he could go down in legend for spending 15 years at 1 team... like they do in footy. He won't leave unless there's a major internal shake-up with personnel (which could lead to a lean period)

#39 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 13:11

So what are the chances Sebastian will go to Ferrari in 2015?

No chance of Vettel going to Ferrari in 2015. Ferrari already have 2 drivers firmed up for 2015.

Vettel will be going to Ferrari in 2016 with Horner, Rob Marshall and the whole technical team sans Newey and Prodromou.

Advertisement

#40 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 13:15

yeah... he could go down in legend for spending 15 years at 1 team... like they do in footy. He won't leave unless there's a major internal shake-up with personnel (which could lead to a lean period)

Prodromou is already signed with McLaren for 2015/2016. Rob Marshall is another big name that might leave Newey just so that he could make a name for himself elsewhere. Sooner or later RBR will have a lean period, and that's when Vettel would be making his move for greener pastures.

#41 OldSoldier2

OldSoldier2

• 144 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 13:28

Vettel loves stats and records. You only have to look at how he pushes for fastest lap against the will of this team. Piping Schumacher's 7 titles is a dream that is could become a reality, and fulfilling it requires a very fast car. Although driver skills account for a lot in F1, the car makes the biggest difference. As long as Red Bull has the fastest car, I cannot see Vettel leaving the team for a slower one. After all, he wouldn't want one of his rivals driving an unbeatable car. 

Vettel has never said he loves stats and records. We do know that he does love trophies. Youtube has a good video with young Seb showing off his trophies to a German TV reporter. He will likely get another trophy from DHL this year for most fastest laps. Helmets are also retired with the trophies, hence the continual helmet livery changes which many deplore.

I think it is unlikely that Vettel will break a contract that he signed this year for 2015. It is not his style, business wise; he has too much loyalty to Red Bull. If a move is made in 2016 it could very well be to Mercedes (Schumi connection) when Hamilton's contract expires.

#42 rasul

rasul

• 1,952 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 13:41

Recognition. Huge Ferrari fanbase around the world. No driver can keep one's motivation up if he doesn't get the recognition for his work(and gets repeatedly booed mostly by Ferrari fans). Prodromou is leaving "the best team in F1," probably to get out of Newey's shadow. The same thing is going to happen to Vettel, sooner or later. I think 2015 is very possible if Alonso leaves for McLaren.

#43 ANF

ANF

• 29,234 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 13:47

None. There is no chance at all. Like I said in another thread some weeks ago about Kimi's returning to Ferrari: it's just never gonna happen. This is even less ever gonna happen.

#44 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 14:10

Will he?  100% definite.  I can't believe a poll is even needed.

#45 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 16:50

If Raikkonen returned to Ferrari, it means the doors have been wide open for Vettel to go to Ferrari but he has chosen not to.

Why would he? If the Ferrari car continues to be a dog why would Vettel want to see Riccardo become a 8 times WDC

#46 Lucass

Lucass

• 121 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 16:57

He'll just wait and see what 2014 brings.

If the Renault engine is competitive he should be fine at Red Bull.

If it isn't any team would kick out one of their drivers to sign the 4 times World Driver's Champion then.

Nice position to be in really :smoking:

#47 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 17:28

In Korea,Seb & Kimi arrived together at the racetrack. Vettel's personal trainer was with them. I watched on tv. The three of them were in a very good mood and they behaved in a very friendly way.

#48 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 17:43

The problem is these "rocketships" are not at his disposal forever. Prodromou is leaving RBR (effect unknown) and who knows if Newey extends his contract beyond 2015 (?). Who knows, how good the Renault turbos are.

Alonso was at the top of F1 world in 2005, yet left for McLaren, because he felt Renault was going to fall away. And they did. Sometimes you have to move before the fall happens. So Vettel has to anticipate the future well.

Ferrari may have failed to come out with a "decent car" (championship-winning one I guess) in 2013, but what about 2017? This is what we are talking about, when Vettel is going to decide about his next long-term contract.

#49 plumtree

plumtree

• 1,082 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 18:50

- On the podium http://i.imgur.com/sK9HgAI.jpg

- From post race press conference http://www.formula1....cd1306oc218.jpg

- Adam Cooper: Those flying to Tokyo privately are Hamilton, Vettel, Raikkonen, Alonso, Webber, Massa, Button and Rosberg - all the guys with a bit of $$$ to spare! Five of those drivers are on the same plane so they should have a lot to talk about! Two are in another and one is on his own... 

Guess who were the two? 

Heikki Kulta: Kimi Räikkönen and Sebastian Vettel enjoyed each others company very much on the podium. On Sunday evening these two champions will surely have fun when they fly together to Japan. https://pbs.twimg.co...OV2CIAEXgXO.jpg

#50 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,341 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 19:44

Depends on the car.