352 replies to this topic

#151 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,073 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 21:32

Originally posted by Stefan Schmidt
Yes, perfect! Thank you very much!

Is it also available in color?

Stefan, did you carry on reading the thread that AAA-Eagle kindly linked you too? The availability of this in color was discussed. I cannot remember seeing a color shot of this on TNF though.

Advertisement

#152 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 721 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 22:26

Ahh! OK, thank you all! :wave:

#153 AAA-Eagle

AAA-Eagle

• 926 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 16:43

Today we are 32 years without François; and 31 years without Helmuth :cry: :cry: :cry:

RIP

#154 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 746 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 17:15

Thanks for bringing this thread back up. I wondered if someone would.

If not for that accident, I'm sure he would have been on pole for that race. Then WDC in 1974. More WDCs may well have followed.

He'd be 61 today. Would still have ladies chasing him, no doubt!

Dave

#155 delaner

delaner

• 61 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 17:16

Indeed... 32 years.

And Francois is still with us, happy to say. =)

I was not even a twinkle in an eye when Cevert was taken 32 years ago. I was about three and a half years from being a twinkle, and yet I know his presence well...

Last I drove the car (006, he primary for latter '72/'73), I saw Jo Ramirez and he stopped in the pit lane, almost stunned: "Ah... this brings back memories.... this brings back memories!"

I'm glad to hear that! As much as I enjoyed his new book, and in as much detail as he put into his years at McLaren, the account of his Tyrrell years were sadly short. Perhaps he'll talk more about them next time...?

But every time I strap into the car, Francois is there, smiling at me, sternly humbling me, reminding me, guiding me. It's a fantastic car, and I wish I could drive it half as well as its original driver.

*sigh*.... I'm getting better. : /

Anyway, the point is that his spirit lives on. I hold it as my responsibility every time I get in the car to do my best to produce a remembrance of his image (if not his fantastic driving). So his legend being brought and introduced to people yet! Which is, after all, the whole idea of historic racing...

Cevert is here. He's smiling at me now. : ) God bless you, Francois!

#156 marty8405

marty8405

• 61 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 23:34

Thank you for your post Delaner, you are blessed to have such an opportunity.....I didn't remember the date until I signed in tonight, I still get the same sad feeling I always get when this subject comes up. Drive fast through the Heavens tonight Francois, we all will cheer for you.

#157 Bill Wagenblatt

Bill Wagenblatt

• 176 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 23:56

I recently posted this photo on the Personal Photos from the Paddock thread. But I think it is also appropriate for this thread. It is one of my favorite photos of Francois. It was taken at the 1972 Jim Clark Memorial F2 race at Hockenheimring.

Posted Image

Bill

#158 marty8405

marty8405

• 61 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 00:38

Heres a small gallery of photos from the 73 USGP at Watkins Glen including 2 of Francois.

http://www.kodakgall...=1&sort_order=0

#159 jimmygofast

jimmygofast

• 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 02:45

We were camped along the sole of the boot, on the hillside about midway between the hairpin and the right hander that lead back toward the original track, as far from the top of the esses as you can get.

I'll always remember the silence that crept over the infield and eventually got to us. In my many years at tracks, Watkins Glen, Mosport, Mid-Ohio, never have I experienced anything quite like the impact of Cevert's crash that day. It was as if one could see the stunned silence sweeping across the grounds. The PA became quiet, the cars slowed and then one by one disappeared from the track.

We knew something bad had happened. But what? Somehow word came of the incident. I'll never quite understand how. Then the PA crackled through the eerie silence announcing Francois' fate. We sat at our smoldering campfire stunned and saddened at the loss. This was not why we came to Watkins Glen.

We staked out that spot on the hillside for many years to come, saw the best in the world in Sportscars, Can-Am, and Formula One, but that day in October remains burned into our memories.

Advertisement

#160 Marc

Marc

• 87 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:51

I have a dream ... :(
Posted Image
François Cevert. World Champion 1974

#161 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 17:04

Originally posted by delaner

But every time I strap into the car, Francois is there, smiling at me, sternly humbling me, reminding me, guiding me. It's a fantastic car, and I wish I could drive it half as well as its original driver.

:wave: Nice to see that you are still faithful to TNF Ryan, despite your "driving duties" .

I was (secretly and helplessly) hoping that the Classic Tyrrell Team had stayed in Europe long enough to make the Le Mans "F1 Masters" a few weeks ago, but ...... :(

May your father and yourself keep on the good memory work you're doing for many years !

#162 delaner

delaner

• 61 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 17:39

AH! We were in Europe! We went to Goodwood for the Revival (there is a goodwood pics thread that shows us during the Stewart Tribute) and then on to Brands to support A1GP with TGP! Great races, and my father is now a three-time FIA Champ, after defending his Class A championship from Ean Pugh at Estoril! :D Time to celebrate!

#163 Cevert9

Cevert9

• 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 23:16

I don't know where you got your information, but Francois Cevert did not dislike Jackie Stewart.

#164 delaner

delaner

• 61 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 23:19

Originally posted by Cevert9
I don't know where you got your information, but Francois Cevert did not dislike Jackie Stewart.

Who said that he did? My understanding was that he had a great respect for Sir Jackie, almost to the point of idolotry...

#165 Cevert9

Cevert9

• 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 23:30

Yes he did. I miss spoke when I said he didin't dislike him. I was replying to the first post of the topic. They said that he had a team-mate that he didn't want to have. That is un-true. Cevert and Stewart were "IT" they were a tight team. He was trained by Jackie to be better than him. Imagine what Team Tyrrell could have done hadn't he died that day. If he didn't want to have Stewart as a team-mate he was good enough to sell himself to another team at the drop of a hat.

#166 frp

frp

• 351 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 23:43

I think tyrrellp34 was referring to Scheckter, who had just been recruited as Francois' team mate for 1974.

#167 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,076 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 00:53

The eyes, it is always in their eyes..................

Henry

#168 Penword

Penword

• 46 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 19:59

I have a video I bought about 15 years ago, called The Quick And The Dead, which I personally find largely pathetic, but does have some highlights, including interviews with Cevert. He's quite interesting to listen to and comes across as a very charming and thoughtful young man. The interviews are from the 1973 season, which is sadly ironic.

The action footage is also fantastic -- Montjuich Park, Monaco and the Nurburgring in particular.

#169 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:12

A few recent photographs of François' grave in this thread

http://forums.autosp...278#post2269278

#170 LaRascasse

LaRascasse

• 51 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 17:00

Thanks Phillipe, for posting those pictures. For years now I have wondered were Francois was buried, and what his grave looked like.

On the 30th anniversary of his death, I placed flowers on the track at Watkins Glen at the spot where he was killed.

They, in my humble opinion, provided a suitable resting place for the glamourous and well-liked Frenchman.

#171 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,400 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 20:09

Yes, it was Jody he had the problem with, they had a coming together the race before in Canada and Francois sprained his ankle badly in the shunt. The irony is that it was Jody who was first on the scene of Francois fatal accident.

#172 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 21:03

La Rascasse, thank you for the nice gesture on the 30th anniversary....nice to know that François is fondly remembered outside of France

David, yes , too bad he only sprained this ankle, wish he had broken it.....please forgive the self-indulgence, but my fantasy has always been that....

http://forums.autosp...311#post2091311

#173 MCS

MCS

• 3,551 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 21:48

Elf Team Tyrrell publicity shot, early 1973...

Posted Image

#174 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 01:18

A Motorcraft publicity pic, taken at Mallory in mid 1973...

Posted Image

...and a typically rubbish pic - but the only one I ever took of the man - courtesy of my Instamatic during the 1973 British GP meeting...

Posted Image

#175 LaRascasse

LaRascasse

• 51 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:39

Nice pics, Stuart. Thank you for sharing them.

Do you know if the car in the picture is the one Francois had his fatal accident with?

#176 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 07:12

No, François had a brand new car for the US Grand Prix, his usual one had been badly damaged in his accident at the previous Canadian Grand Prix

Twinny, this Motorcraft shot must have been taken when François did this demonstration run during a Mallory meeting, with the publicized goal of having an "unofficial" go at the lap record ( then held by Jarier's March 732 since the early season F2 meeting , I think....)

#177 Hana

Hana

• 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 17:48

I'm here for the first time.Francois Cevert is my great idol from my teenage age.I'd received some material about him from internet/some photos, article, even videos/.But I'd very like to read the book from Jean-Claude Hallé "Contract with the death".I've been trying to buy it for about one year, but it is impossible in our country.Only way to receive this book is from EBay auction, but it is very complicated with paying, because my country still have not Euro money.Maybe I could buy this book from somebody from this forum, or maybe somebody have a copy of this book.I'd be very pleased for every help.Thank you.

#178 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,115 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 13:17

Posted Image
Photos promised 5 years ago! Question on another thread reminded me of them.
1,Brands Hatch 29/10/67-Alpine F3
2, " 02/09/68 Tecno F3
3, " 19/10/69 "

#179 E.B.

E.B.

• 1,767 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 13:45

Originally posted by David M. Kane
Francois also knew Jackie was leaving and he now had to show he was the number one guy at Tyrrell.

This quote from page 1 does not seem to have been challenged in the subsequent pages (although I may have missed it as I scanned the thread quite quickly).

Is this true? I was always led to believe that at the time of Francois' accident, only Jackie, Ken Tyrrell and Walter Hayes were aware of Jackie's plans.

Advertisement

#180 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,400 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 14:41

Lee Brahin in Tyrrell 009 crashed the pass weekend in almost the exact same place Francois crashed. It took all 4 corners off the car; but the safety fence and the guard rail did their job. 7 other cars then proceeded to pile into him. 3 limped away, 5 didn't. Either a half-shaft or suspension arm broke at 120-130mph.

He and the others fortunately sustained no injuries, just some bruising.

#181 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,653 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 15:39

Hana welcome to the forum. Francois was a very respected driver when he ran in the CanAm series. He drove for the Team of Gregg Young and his mother Irene. They had the ex Team McLaren M8F cars and both did a great job with them. The Team mechanics were Bob Skinner and Tom Jobe and Francois Sicard. They used engines by Stump Davis. They had the highest respect for Francois ability and it is a very sad fact that he was taken at Watkins Glen. I am sure he would have gone on to be a great driver. Jody Scheckter also had the highest respect for him. He was deeply upset by the accident at Watkins Glen and he was one of the first on the scene to see the wreckage. And great pictures of a young Francois, Rob.

#182 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 16:35

Originally posted by E.B.

Is this true? I was always led to believe that at the time of Francois' accident, only Jackie, Ken Tyrrell and Walter Hayes were aware of Jackie's plans.

Check out this post and the ones after, E.B.

http://forums.autosp...118#post1854118

#183 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,400 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 16:41

The reason Cervert was driving crazy that weekend was because he still was peeved at Jody for their encounter in Canada.

#184 Neuz

Neuz

• 159 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 19:34

Francois was always one of my favorite drivers. I liked the video The Quick and the Dead. It had some good footage and interviews with Francois.

Here are a few more pictures.
http://www.yesterday...esize/index.htm

Rob
www.yesterdaysneuz.com

#185 Lotus11Register

Lotus11Register

• 98 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 00:48

Years after this thread began and the request made for a story about Cevert, I'll offer this one.

For Daytona in 1973 Matra had entered the 24-hour with a single 670B, to be driven by Cevert, JP Beltoise, and H. Pescarolo. Pre-race, in the paddock with nothing to do, I searched for a shady place to sit down and found an empty chair in the Matra garage. The car was out for a moment, and so the place was empty of people. But after a minute a door to a nearby travel trailer opened and Cevert stepped out. I recognized the hero driver, of course, as anyone who followed F-1 in those days would. Cevert walked over and studied me suspiciously. I wore a goofy hat and had a giant telephoto lens around my neck. Who are you and what are you doing here? He seemed displeased until seconds later a woman approached with a photog behind her. Now he brightened up as he met his appointment.

The woman was a journalist and after introductions, she quiverred slightly and asked "May I kiss you?" Cevert, quick as he was handsome, replied "The pleasure is mine" and he kissed her instead. The photog, a little uncomfortable, looked away. "Well, where can we talk?" the lady asked. It didn't seem like Cevert wanted to pull a few more chairs into a group around me, so he said "Let us go to the cafe'" And with that the three of them left the garage and began walking to a snack bar nearby. It seemed natural enough to walk along beside the photog behind the lady and the driver.

No doubt about it, Mr. F. Cevert was quite an impressive sight and people along the walk were still and watchful as we passed. Coming toward us there was an American family; husband and wife in their thirties, two children, just come from DisneyWorld. I will never forget the woman's face as she set eyes on Cevert. He was like a movie star and her jaw fell open as she stopped in her tracks. Her family kept walking, husband and kids oblivious. The woman turned and began walking along with me and the photographer, following this wonderful-looking man, whoever, wherever. The photog and I looked at each other, and then back at her family, now 20 feet away, calling her name. Mom? After another half-minute her husband caught up and grabbed her arm. She was in a trance.

Eventually Cevert gave me glance that I took as a signal to go and his interview began. The lady journalist had probably seen enough already to believe anything he told her. Hollywood would be hard-pressed to find someone who exuded as much glamour. But Cevert had that, and he could drive too.

In October when he crashed, the report from Scheckter and Hulme was that Cevert had entered the esses off-line and then had tried to "power through the turn."

#186 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:30

Originally posted by Lotus11Register

Hollywood would be hard-pressed to find someone who exuded as much glamour. But Cevert had that, and he could drive too.

A very good summary of the man, I think . Thank you for the story !

#187 AAA-Eagle

AAA-Eagle

• 926 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:06

It's 33 years today since that dreadful day at the Glen... :cry: :cry: :cry:

#188 kevthedrummer

kevthedrummer

• 479 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:19

My better half recently commissioned a painting of Cevert in Tyrrell 006 flying at Montjuich in 1973 for my birthday (big thank you to dolomite for providing a picture to work from) . It's due any time soon. I'll post a copy of it here as soon as I have it. Can't wait! :love:

#189 vashlin

vashlin

• 322 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 21:45

I have these picture of Francois which I took during practice for the Canadian GP at Mosport in 1973. They were taken on the foggy Saturday Sept. 22 when the practice session was rather curtailed till the sun came out later in the day.

Thought I would place them here.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Linda Carlson

#190 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,817 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 21:53

Great pictures!!!! Gee, Francoise was a handsome guy, my then girlfriend was all eyes for him :eek:

Is that a young Gordon Murray behind in the 2nd picture behind Jo Ramirez?

You certainly have an ace stack of pictures! Brilliant!

#191 lil'chris

lil'chris

• 512 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 22:37

Originally posted by sterling49
Is that a young Gordon Murray behind in the 2nd picture behind Jo Ramirez?

The badge on his jacket looks like it says JPS to me, so probably one of Chunkys lads

#192 FLB

FLB

• 1,925 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 23:47

Originally posted by lil'chris

The badge on his jacket looks like it says JPS to me, so probably one of Chunkys lads

Agreed.

And it certainly looks like the man himself is in the background, wearing his trademark cap... which was of no use in the race itself, despite throwing it in the air to convince the officials Fitti had won! :lol:

#193 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,541 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:01

the guy with the long hair in the JPS jacket is Keith Leighton, Ronnie Peterson's mechanic.

#194 vashlin

vashlin

• 322 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 14:45

I thought the guy standing next to Jo had a JPS jacket on. Didn't know his name but knew someone would.

I do have a pic of Gordon, in Personal Photos from the Paddock standing in the Glen garage. Clay and Carlos R. were the main subjects of this but he is there, too.

LinC

#195 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,541 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 18:00

that was a brand new car for Francois that weekend, wasn't it? It certainly looks it.

#196 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,817 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 18:03

Originally posted by Gary C
that was a brand new car for Francois that weekend, wasn't it? It certainly looks it.

Look at the slicks on the rear, don't they look great compared to todays tyres with white lines on them :lol:

#197 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,183 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 18:19

Originally posted by Gary C

Wasn't 006/3 the Glen car, new for the US race? after the shunt in Canada were Francois hurt his foot/ankle (in 006?)?

I was unaware that he was using what appears to be (compared with other pictures) a newish Bell helmet. Canada was also where drivers used many and varied ways to prevent visors steaming up, wierd to see Francois without a visor peak.

Superb pictures of one of the few drivers I count as heroes.

#198 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,183 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 18:26

Just thinking about it, didn't 006/3 run at the Glen without the rad sidepods? and there was an extra sticker under the L of Elf on the cockpit front?

#199 tobbe j

tobbe j

• 90 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 18:28

It was the last race in 006, Canada
And Cevert used the 006/3 in US

Advertisement

#200 tobbe j

tobbe j

• 90 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 18:43

Originally posted by f1steveuk
Just thinking about it, didn't 006/3 run at the Glen without the rad sidepods? and there was an extra sticker under the L of Elf on the cockpit front?

yes he did, in the new 006/3