Photo
* * - - - 7 votes

Is Infiniti Redbull Racing the best sports team in the world?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
95 replies to this topic

#1 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:56

Good morning/afternoon/evening F1 fans?So I know we all hate Sebastian Vettel's radio message at the end of the races,but in Suzuka he said something that made me think he may have a point.'You are the best team in the world'.
Now,think about it for a moment.Is there a team operating at the level Red bull is?I tend to think I am an ardent follower of almost all popular sports and for me no team is even close to them in terms of operative excellence,organization,work ethic and long story short,there is almost an invincibility around them that is not there in any other sport in the world.If their is any criticism they have it is their PR department,it doesn't look like they are the most team but I guess this is a knock on effect of their dominance.
So what do you guys think?Are they number one in the world and if not,I would love to hear of any team that is coming close to their level.Looking forward to hearing from you.

Advertisement

#2 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 13:00

No, yes, maybe, maybe not. Are oranges the only fruit? Do they compare to apples? Is a steak better for you than a tetanus vaccination, are Manchester United a better football team than the Dallas Cowboys are an American Football team? How exactly do you propose to quantify your comparisons?

Edited by Bloggsworth, 16 October 2013 - 13:01.

#3 Vepe1995

Vepe1995

• 162 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 13:01

I'd say Audi is better...

#4 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 13:02

Nothing beats SF 49ers....

#5 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 13:03

Ravens?   ;)

I am a Tampa Bay Bucs fan, so you can have a good laugh at me if you like.

#6 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,482 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 13:04

I think this thread http://forums.autosp...ho-is-the-best/ offers an answer.

#7 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 13:17

No, yes, maybe, maybe not. Are oranges the only fruit? Do they compare to apples? Is a steak better for you than a tetanus vaccination, are Manchester United a better football team than the Dallas Cowboys are an American Football team? How exactly do you propose to quantify your comparisons?

Well,lets put it thisway,Arsenal is leading the EPL right now and they are on a fantastic run at the moment,(something like 11 away wins on a trot) but that doesnt say the whole story does it?Can you say honestly if a weekend is coming up  Arsenal is playing Manchester City and RBR is racing in Monza (I have put difficult assignments for both-City is a top four team,Monza is considered RBR weakest track),which team would you put,gun to your head,to come out on top,if all things remain constant?

P.S I hope my analogy makes sense??

#8 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 13:18

Do the best "teams" have their two main competitors and elements within the group at complete odds with each other...

They might be ultra successful at the moment and that deserves respect, but being a "team" is not something they're apparently very good at...

#9 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 13:18

Well,lets put it thisway,Arsenal is leading the EPL right now and they are on a fantastic run at the moment,(something like 11 away wins on a trot) but that doesnt say the whole story does it?Can you say honestly if a weekend is coming up  Arsenal is playing Manchester City and RBR is racing in Monza (I have put difficult assignments for both-City is a top four team,Monza is considered RBR weakest track),which team would you put,gun to your head,to come out on top,if all things remain constant?

Ravens?   ;)

Dont mind if I do! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#10 kenkip

kenkip

• 506 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 13:24

Do the best "teams" have their two main competitors and elements within the group at complete odds with each other...

They might be ultra successful at the moment and that deserves respect, but being a "team" is not something they're apparently very good at...

I dont understand,are you talking about the Webber/Vettel rivalry?Its been their in sports for time immemorial.Andy Cole and Teddy Sheringham were the striking partnership of Manchester United in 1999 and scored loads of goals and won the treble that year,but they never spoke a word off pitch  and hated the sight of each other.Does it make United less of a team?

#11 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 13:26

Are they number one in the world and if not, I would love to hear of any team that is coming close to their level.

In recent motorsports history, it's hard to overlook these guys:

lvqsRzN.jpg

Edited by Nonesuch, 16 October 2013 - 13:27.

#12 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 13:33

I think this is an answer to the originator's post, not to my reply to his...

#13 OneAndOnly

OneAndOnly

• 1,412 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 13:35

Nope, Bayern Munich is. Champions League, Bundesliga, German Cup, all that with cheap tickets for fans, great players, attacking style football and still end up year with profit (unlike any other big club in Europe except Arsenal).

#14 zippythecat

zippythecat

• 82 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 13:50

Audi's better, currently, in motorsport, but RBR is operating at close to the same level. 

In the entire field of sport? Tough call, that. You can make a case for leading teams in several sports. 

#15 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 13:52

For me, Audi & Red Bull have been outstanding for the past four years. I can't think of any other team achieving so much in that time.

#16 zippythecat

zippythecat

• 82 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 14:13

I give Audi the nod because it's been at the top for a longer period of time. But it's to RBR's credit that they now have a credible claim.

Having thought about it a little, from the sports I'm most familiar with I'd nominate as the best-run team U.S. baseball's St. Louis Cardinals. They have 11 titles, second-most in the sport, and are very much in the mix to get a 12th this year. They helped pioneer the sport, were among its early powers, and stepped up to become a force again in the 1960s. Save for a down period in the 1970s they've always been there or thereabouts ever since. Thing about them is the efficiency with which management goes about its business. There's never any drama and they roll with the punches. They're contending again this year despite having lost their best player to free agency at the end of 2011. And from a business standpoint they've built the brand despite being based outside the country's major media markets.

The New York Yankees have more titles than the Cardinals but are comparable to Ferrari in the way management unsteadiness tends to squander their natural advantages.

Edited by zippythecat, 16 October 2013 - 14:18.

#17 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 14:32

I dont understand,are you talking about the Webber/Vettel rivalry?Its been their in sports for time immemorial.Andy Cole and Teddy Sheringham were the striking partnership of Manchester United in 1999 and scored loads of goals and won the treble that year,but they never spoke a word off pitch  and hated the sight of each other.Does it make United less of a team?

Yes.

#18 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 14:37

Sports are stupid.

#19 Raven8

Raven8

• 705 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 14:45

If you include non Motorsports teams, it has to be  Bayern München ATM

Advertisement

#20 Winter98

Winter98

• 638 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 14:54

Except the Seattle Seahawks. 

#21 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 15:08

I think NASCAR's Hendricks should be considered too.

#22 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,947 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 15:17

No.

Not even one of the best in all of motorsport.

One of the richest, perhaps, but not one of the best.

Nope, Bayern Munich is. Champions League, Bundesliga, German Cup, all that with cheap tickets for fans, great players, attacking style football and still end up year with profit (unlike any other big club in Europe except Arsenal).

:yawnface:  Sorry, have I confused this with a footbore forum?

Edited by JHSingo, 16 October 2013 - 15:19.

#23 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 15:21

Their ultimate objective is to sell their brand but they've made themselves unpopular, which is a fail really.

#24 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 15:21

No.

The question is about the best sport team... Even though, I posted two motorsport teams, I understood the question as the best team in any sport.  :)

#25 Moosed

Moosed

• 84 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 15:28

No.

lol at a motorsport fan calling football boring, motorsport fans are notorious for being the sports worlds biggest dullards.

#26 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 15:36

lol at a motorsport fan calling football boring, motorsport fans are notorious for being the sports worlds biggest dullards.

What if you like football and motorsport?  :drunk:

#27 WhiteSGPlayer

WhiteSGPlayer

• 273 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 15:39

Not at the moment. They're getting there though.

Audi Sport Team Joest, Penske and Chip Ganassi Racing are three teams that come to mind when thinking of "best"

#28 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,923 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 15:40

Harlem Globetrotters.  When was the last time they lost?

#29 MattPete

MattPete

• 2,614 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 15:45

Harlem Globetrotters.  When was the last time they lost?

They have a winning percentage of > 98.5% (345 losses in their lifetime of 22,000+ games).

#30 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 950 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 15:46

I wouldn't count Bayern as being on the same level as Red Bull personally. Bayern had a stunning season last year, but Red Bull have been a class apart for four straight seasons now. Bayern have not had that longevity (but could).

Apples with oranges, I know, but such is the nature of this thread.

I would also argue that F1 is more of a team effort than football. Football has about 50 personnel involved, from the players to coaches etc, that have a direct impact on performance. F1 is in the 100's.

Interesting debate though!

#31 zippythecat

zippythecat

• 82 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 16:10

Why Bayern as the football nominee and not Real Madrid? Serious question from a US person possessing only bare familiarity with Euro football.

If we're talking about "best," the ability to sustain excellence even through sport's inevitable ups and downs has to be considered.

#32 Raven8

Raven8

• 705 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 17:00

I wouldn't count Bayern as being on the same level as Red Bull personally. Bayern had a stunning season last year, but Red Bull have been a class apart for four straight seasons now. Bayern have not had that longevity (but could).

Apples with oranges, I know, but such is the nature of this thread.

I would also argue that F1 is more of a team effort than football. Football has about 50 personnel involved, from the players to coaches etc, that have a direct impact on performance. F1 is in the 100's.

Interesting debate though!

No longevity?  25 x national championships

16 x DFB Pokal

5 x CL

2 X club WC

IMO it's another sport , but you can't argue about longevity here .

RBR is good recently, not the best sports club in the world. I don't know if any f1 team is among the best sports clubs in the world

Edited by Raven8, 16 October 2013 - 17:04.

#33 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 17:16

No longevity?  25 x national championships

16 x DFB Pokal

5 x CL

2 X club WC

IMO it's another sport , but you can't argue about longevity here .

RBR is good recently, not the best sports club in the world. I don't know if any f1 team is among the best sports clubs in the world

I hope there is no R. Madrid fan around here...  :lol:  Because if we talk in terms of longevity... Bayern achievements can't beat R. Madrid's... And you can't imagine how much I hurt to say so being a Barça fan...  :rotfl:

And about motorsport, I think that perhaps Ferrari could be considered as one of the best sports team in the world (I write it without looking at their stats)

#34 Raven8

Raven8

• 705 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 17:20

I hope there is no R. Madrid fan around here...  :lol:  Because if we talk in terms of longevity... Bayern achievements can't beat R. Madrid's... And you can't imagine how much I hurt to say so being a Barça fan...  :rotfl:

And about motorsport, I think that perhaps Ferrari could be considered as one of the best sports team in the world (I write it without looking at their stats)

Ferrari is nr 15 on the Forbes list amongst the top 15  most valuable sports teams, the only F1 team there

http://www.sportal.d...errari,14295,15

BUt this has more to do with ($$$)

Who is the best is more subjective IMO

#35 zippythecat

zippythecat

• 82 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 17:21

I'd argue against Ferrari being one of the best, strongly. Their management is famously fickle and makes often-foolish personnel decisions, which is not the hallmark of a best-of-the-best team in any sport. They have many advantages but don't capitalize on them as they should. Same can be said of McLaren. RBR by contrast since 2008 has performed in an optimum manner.

#36 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 17:22

Ferrari is nr 15 on the Forbes list amongst the top 15  most valuable sports teams, the only F1 team there

http://www.sportal.d...errari,14295,15

BUt this has more to do with ($$$)

Who is the best is more subjective IMO

I agree. Thanks for the information!  :)

#37 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 17:26

I'd argue against Ferrari being one of the best, strongly. Their management is famously fickle and makes often-foolish personnel decisions, which is not the hallmark of a best-of-the-best team in any sport. They have many advantages but don't capitalize on them as they should. Same can be said of McLaren. RBR by contrast since 2008 has performed in an optimum manner.

There we go... It all depends if you take into account longevity (history), against that RBR has nothing to do but right now,I consider RBR one of the best teams in the world. They can only win 2 championships per season and for the last 4 years, they have a 100% rate of success They could not have done any better... 

#38 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 17:42

Sustainability, New England Patriots over SF - (both my teams, so I wouldn't argue the point, but SF has not sustained, more come and go) Bayern, Audi.

Red Bull has been on a 4.5 year run of operating at that same high level, but they need 5 more years to match. 

#39 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,947 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 17:57

What you doing here then? :wave:

At least motorsport fans aren't prone to racially abusing drivers, or riot when their favourite team loses, or whatever. But I guess that is a discussion to be had elsewhere.

Edited by JHSingo, 16 October 2013 - 17:58.

Advertisement

#40 zippythecat

zippythecat

• 82 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 18:05

Sustainability, New England Patriots over SF - (both my teams, so I wouldn't argue the point, but SF has not sustained, more come and go) Bayern, Audi.

Red Bull has been on a 4.5 year run of operating at that same high level, but they need 5 more years to match. 

SF had a good long run as the NFL's gold standard, so it's a case study in how fortunes can change. New England too; they were only rarely contenders until Belichick got there. Arguably Green Bay has done better than either in sustaining success in recent decades, overcoming major management and player transitions.

The sustainability argument is why I rate Audi higher than RBR in motorsport. But what they have in common at present is that the competition can't expect them to make serious mistakes. Both will take some beating.

Against their examples, Ferrari's 2000-04 run looks like an aberration. 

#41 alpinesmuggler

alpinesmuggler

• 219 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 18:17

Ravens?   ;)

Ouch. Bucs and Lewis? So much talent and yet so little to show for it? As a Jets/Lewis fan, I feel your pain.

But hey, next year or the year after next, or whenever the stars align, we'll be the ones laughing, right? :lol:

#42 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 18:21

Bilgiferous drivel, not to say poppycock.

#43 alpinesmuggler

alpinesmuggler

• 219 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 18:24

Their ultimate objective is to sell their brand but they've made themselves unpopular, which is a fail really.

I agree with you in that I'm sure Red Bull coud have found a better 300M USD marketing investment than F1. That said, I still like their sugary drink, particularly with vodka, and I'm not a Seb/RB fan in the least.

#weirdmarketing

#44 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 18:27

Not really a team, but the most dominant figure I've come across is Esther Vergeer.

148 titles in singles, including 21 Grand Slams, 668 weeks ranked as world number one, and ITF World Champion 13 years in a row. Ten years without a defeat. That's 470 matches against 73 differnent opponents and not losing a single game.

http://en.wikipedia..../Esther_Vergeer

#45 alpinesmuggler

alpinesmuggler

• 219 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 18:27

I take it back. This is the best thread ever. Seriously, mods, don't lock it down. We have ten days until the next GP, the championship is over, the silly season isn't that much fun, so this is the best it gets.

#46 alpinesmuggler

alpinesmuggler

• 219 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 18:32

Dude, a Pats, Niners, RB and Seb fan? For how long? Have you ever been a fan of something/somebody who isn't on top?

Yabadabadoo. The weather is so fair out there. :)

#47 sennafan24

sennafan24

• 8,362 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 18:41

Ouch. Bucs and Lewis? So much talent and yet so little to show for it? As a Jets/Lewis fan, I feel your pain.

But hey, next year or the year after next, or whenever the stars align, we'll be the ones laughing, right? :lol:

I bloody hope so! If 2014 goes to **** for Lewis I may have a nervous breakdown!

Buy hey we are fans of Senna, who is the ultimate winner in life. So it pans out for us in the end   ;)

#48 handel

handel

• 445 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 18:42

What you doing here then? :wave:

At least motorsport fans aren't prone to racially abusing drivers, or riot when their favourite team loses, or whatever. But I guess that is a discussion to be had elsewhere.

Well in fairness the stick Hamilton has/does get in Spain is pretty much this.

#49 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 18:42

I think Vettel meant he thinks Red Bull is the best team in the world among Formula 1 teams (Ferrari, etc)

I bet millions of people around the world dont even know what "Infinity Red Bull Racing" means. However they do know what country won the last soccer world cup championship. And also know what a Ferrari is.

#50 NexusIcon

NexusIcon

• 154 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 18:44

The coveted Laureus World Sports Team of the Year award has twice been won by F1 teams. Renault in 2006 and Brawn in 2010. Despite cruising towards their 4th consecutive WCC RBR have not won this year or any other, despite 3 nominations.

http://en.wikipedia....eam_of_the_Year

So I guess, according to Laureus at least, the answer is, "No".

Edited by NexusIcon, 16 October 2013 - 18:45.