Photo

Dario Resta

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,243 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 16:28

Winner of the Indianapolis 500 in 1916, the great Italian born Dario Resta was a naturalized citizen of UK.

His origins were rather obscure, and the available data in the web were very controversial: several sources indicate that he was born in Milano, other accounts state Livorno, the most reliable sites have Faenza as his birthplace and 19 August 1882 (or 1884) as the date.

The Motorsport Memorial team has just received from the Municipality of Faenza, province of Ravenna, Italy, the Birth Certificate of Dario Resta:
He was born in Faenza, on 17 August 1882, the son of Federico Resta and Adelina Niccodemi.

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,425 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 16:36

Congratulations on that milestone, Nanni...

Let's hope that your clarification of the exact date and place is echoed around the net.

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,743 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 17:25

Good to have a definitive answer - there are several different dates and locations given in this earlier thread:

Dario Resta

#4 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,927 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 18:10

Good work Nanni.

It was here all along of course: http://www.oldracing...ver/Dario_Resta  :wave:

#5 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,510 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 18:24

Naturalised British citizen, this begs a question does it not? Is he in any way related to Paul di Resta?

#6 BRG

BRG

• 11,916 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 19:33

Naturalised British citizen, this begs a question does it not? Is he in any way related to Paul di Resta?

...who is of course a cousin of Dario Franchitti (get well soon!).

#7 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,179 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 19:50

Thanks for confirming what I'd found out 2 years ago with an authoritive statement and sources. Now hopefully this will lead to more and more people both using and trusting my data.

Resta is no relation to di Resta.

#8 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,188 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:12

Thanks for confirming what I'd found out 2 years ago with an authoritive statement and sources. Now hopefully this will lead to more and more people both using and trusting my data.

Resta is no relation to di Resta.

Richard, I don't know. My efforts have had mixed results. I'm still trying to figure out where this story came from about Resta residing in Bakersfield, California and building a track at Buttonwillow.

#9 Roy C

Roy C

• 90 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:33

Clip of "Dolly" Resta's Sunbeam racing at Brooklands in 1924: http://www.britishpa...0-miles-an-hour

#10 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,209 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 14:06

I am convinced that Dario Resta lived in Eastbourne at some stage, Mrs Goldie (Una) Gardner kept refering to him, and she even though he was buried in Eastbourne, because she said " Goldie would have been touched to have been buried in the same place".

I know some peole with Kelly's guides for Eastbourne go way back, I'll ask, but to according to The Times of 6 September 1924, Resta's address at the time of his death was Silverdale Avenue, Eastbourne.

Number 51 to be precise

DarioResta_zpsb268d48d.jpg

Edited by f1steveuk, 17 October 2013 - 15:09.