* * * * - 8 votes

Kimi's relationship with Lotus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1937 replies to this topic

#51 kimister

kimister

• 925 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 15:46

Whereas precious Kimi doesn't need to be thankful that Lotus took a gamble on him when he was done with his vacation? This shit is a two-way street.

The difference however is that I have read many interviews in that  Kimi thanked to the team and showed his gratefulness for their efforts.

On the other side, I was quite surprised when I heard these from Boullier :

“Without us, Kimi’s return to F1 would have been a different picture,” he said.

“Can you imagine how it would have been if he had signed for Williams and not us? We built everything around Kimi.

“I think as a Lotus driver he became even more interesting to the fans. He gained in popularity,” said the Frenchman.

“If he had retired after his rally phase, I think Kimi Raikkonen would be forgotten today,” added Boullier.

“We gave him the right tools to get his self-confidence back.”

http://www.inautonew...er#.UmAEM1CnqIv

I do not feel any appreciation for Kimi's hard works sadly  :(

Edited by kimister, 17 October 2013 - 15:49.

Advertisement

#52 Dzeidzei

Dzeidzei

• 133 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 15:48

I agree. They should be thankful for everything he did for them in the last 2 years. This is more than wrong.

I dont think the tweet is disrespectful. Its humor and sometimes the humor goes home, sometimes it goes wrong.

But as Lotus is so vocal about they giving KR a chance to get back into F1, we could all ask where would Lotus be without Kimi? Would they now be securing their budget for the coming years? Or maybe its been a winwin for both of them?

#53 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,023 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 15:49

The difference however is that I have read many interviews in that  Kimi thanked to the team and showed his gratefulness. On the other side, I was quite surprised when I heard these from Boullier.

“Can you imagine how it would have been if he had signed for Williams and not us? We built everything around Kimi.

“I think as a Lotus driver he became even more interesting to the fans. He gained in popularity,” said the Frenchman.

“If he had retired after his rally phase, I think Kimi Raikkonen would be forgotten today,” added Boullier.

I have never liked Boullier, to be honest, and while I understand his frustration these words will not help him improve in my estimation.

#54 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 2,399 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 16:19

Whereas precious Kimi doesn't need to be thankful that Lotus took a gamble on him when he was done with his vacation? This shit is a two-way street.

The gamble paid off for both sides as Kimi took a risk as well signing with a team that finished 5th in the WCC in 2011, barely ahead of Force India. So yes, it's a two-way street, but Kimi is not the one shitting in their porridge right now. He always thanked the team for everything, including the car. Now that he's leaving, Boullier has nothing better to say than "oh, without us he would be a nobody"? He revealed he's not getting paid. So what? It was the truth, and it wasn't even worth hiding any longer with the media all over their case sniffing the story like glue. 

I don't know what Lotus' problem is, or if they have a problem in the first place. But Kimi always held them highly, in all interviews, and now they act like they're on such moral high ground because they gave him a good car that they feel the need to emphasize it all the time. If anything, they at least owe him to keep their mouths shut and suck it up that he's leaving at the end of the year. There's no need to point fingers at who benefited more from these two seasons together. 

Edited by Cyanide, 17 October 2013 - 16:21.

#55 nectar

nectar

• 97 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 16:42

I'm aware that yours is a reply to a previous post and mine is not meant for you only as well. 

But what gamble? If you think back then they signed Raikkonen purely and only in hoping for his performance, then you and Lotus' fans should view it again, carefully. 

Lopez was expecting the team will be able to surf on his name, that's the large chunk of it. They have a young talent who is the team's future. How many times do they have to tell the world ? And so they expect right. Kimi IS the marketing gold. Although the young talent didn't go exactly as planned last year... And Kimi had way more points than they expected initially that they had to make a new payment agreement at the end of last year. 

Fast forward, now they are getting a divorce. Those who support either party of course have a lot to say.

Lotus accused Kimi of answering a question that goes "It seems that Lotus is owning you a lot of money. If Lotus is not paying you, then why don't you just stay at home? " 

Kimi cannot understand why Lotus is not honoring a contract. And Lotus was frustrated that at that moment why cannot Kimi help the team keep this quiet.

I'm not going to defend either one.

But I know this. Genii /Lopez made a new payment agreement with Kimi at the end of last year. They could have perfectly arranged it in the contract to make the payment date as the end of this year if they consider this was going to happen again like Lopez claimed weeks ago. But they didn't. And they, like 2012, are not paying him this year again. 

Genii for some reason doesn't want to make the payment out of their own pocket, except the necessary budgets and have-to-pays ( that's the whole point here, they don't consider a contract as compulsory as we do, Genii considers contract can be broken and salaries can wait. ) They are waiting for either new investors or prize money. And I hope this new investor is true for Lotus team's sake, and according to Joe Saward, thankfully it is very likely going to happen.

So the one we should blame here is not Lotus, or Kimi who works for free now, but rather the current owner of LotusF1team. 

#56 kimister

kimister

• 925 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 17:07

This is not related with the topic, but read it recently, so wanted to share. That's pure gold  :lol:

Journalist: “What kind of an atmosphere do you think McLaren has right now (the spy saga)?” 

Kimi: “I bet it’s ****ing great.”

I hope Lotus also will not taste that great atmosphere later  :p  Kimi and his humour  :drunk: 

Happy Birthday Iceman....

Edited by kimister, 17 October 2013 - 17:08.

#57 jedioriginal

jedioriginal

• 675 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 17:17

Mediocre? World's most popular racing driver?

Jedi, do you have any support to those statements? I understand that you may like the idea, but as the former Renault F1 that team held more titles during the XXI century than any other team bar Ferrari by the time Raikkonen signed with them; and worked with one of the two most successful engine providers ever. As for Raikkonen's popularity, I have never seen any specific measure that would support him as the "best liked one".

Edit: btw, I have no idea of what Cirebox meant with his cartoon; but I am not entirely sure he is part of the Lotus team either!

Just go to any Grand prix and see it yoursel:) Internet is full articles like this."Kimi Raikkonen has always been box office, even before he re-signed for Formula One’s most iconic team, Ferrari.The 2007 world champion is a fan favorite and arguably the most popular driver on the grid.Wherever F1 goes, from Monza to Melbourne, Shanghai to Singapore, there are always enthusiastic, banner-waving Raikkonen fans in the stands and, in the virtual realm of social media, he is the subject of plenty of ardent chatter.But just what is it about the laid back Finn that has sparked this global cult of Kimi?Earlier this year, I asked him just that – and it was the first time I can recall seeing the driver they call “Iceman” a little bit flustered.“Ahh,” he began. “Why don’t you go and ask them? I don’t know.”Was he at least aware that people loved him so much, I wondered?“Well, everyone has fans,” he considered. “I don’t know the reason – but we’d rather have them than not.”It is partly this enigmatic quality – Raikkonen’s desire not to give too much away – that makes him so appealing.The 33-year-old simply does not say that much, refusing to play the game of media patter and cut-and-paste public relations when he is at the race tracks.Source CNN

Edited by jedioriginal, 17 October 2013 - 17:21.

#58 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 5,507 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 17:20

The difference however is that I have read many interviews in that  Kimi thanked to the team and showed his gratefulness for their efforts.

Kimi works hard!!???????

#59 DrF

DrF

• 1,395 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 17:25

Why does the most chilled out, laid back, most detached driver on the grid have so many hysterical, oversensitive fans?

Take a leaf from Kimi's book and chill the f:-* out!

It was a joke posted on the Lotus Twitter feed, notorious for posting such inane drivel. How difficult is this to see?

Advertisement

#60 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,023 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 17:29

Just go to any Grand prix and see it yoursel:) Internet is full articles like this."Kimi Raikkonen has always been box office, even before he re-signed for Formula One’s most iconic team, Ferrari.The 2007 world champion is a fan favorite and arguably the most popular driver on the grid.Wherever F1 goes, from Monza to Melbourne, Shanghai to Singapore, there are always enthusiastic, banner-waving Raikkonen fans in the stands and, in the virtual realm of social media, he is the subject of plenty of ardent chatter.But just what is it about the laid back Finn that has sparked this global cult of Kimi?Earlier this year, I asked him just that – and it was the first time I can recall seeing the driver they call “Iceman” a little bit flustered.“Ahh,” he began. “Why don’t you go and ask them? I don’t know.”Was he at least aware that people loved him so much, I wondered?“Well, everyone has fans,” he considered. “I don’t know the reason – but we’d rather have them than not.”It is partly this enigmatic quality – Raikkonen’s desire not to give too much away – that makes him so appealing.The 33-year-old simply does not say that much, refusing to play the game of media patter and cut-and-paste public relations when he is at the race tracks.

The first couple of googled articles that applied to such quote directed me to a well-known blog here, named F1bias, which belongs to a forumer who is a hard core Raikkonen supporter...  ;)

Now let me give you some alternative views...

http://allwomenstalk...ular-f1-drivers

http://www.f1fanatic...2012-f1-season/

http://www.f1fanatic...ular-f1-driver/

I am sure that Raikkonen has a big number of followers, but I don't think anyone has ever proved that he is the most popular one. :)

In any case, let me clarify one thing: I am not questioning that Raikkonen is a very popular driver, I am questioning your dismissal of what the Lotus team represents vs what Raikkonen represents.

Edit: one more bit of information http://www.google.co...hamilton&cmpt=q

Now, I am sure that this graph represents more how newsworthy a driver is than how popular he is, but still it gives a hint

Edited by Fontainebleau, 17 October 2013 - 17:34.

#61 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 17:43

The same people were defending Lotus and saying that their twitter team is so funny when Kimi was driving for Lotus. Now, Kimi's future is no more with Lotus, everything is scrutinized. I would give the benefit of doubt to the twitter team, since they have made lot of harmless funny posts in the past. Besides, as some suggested, it can be seen as poking fun at Alonso and next year's driver situation at Ferrari.

#62 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 17:43

Their other choices were between Senna & Petrov. Of course things worked out nicely for both parties.  

#63 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,100 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 17:51

It is a joke?  I don't get it. 

What is the significance of Alonso, in his Ferrari gear, throwing a cake in Kimi's face and saying Happy Birthday, with Kimi in his Lotus Gear - and then Alonso walking away with a devilish/self satisfied look?

Explain the joke, then maybe Lotus won't look like bitter losers...

#64 jedioriginal

jedioriginal

• 675 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 18:08

The same people were defending Lotus and saying that their twitter team is so funny when Kimi was driving for Lotus. Now, Kimi's future is no more with Lotus, everything is scrutinized. I would give the benefit of doubt to the twitter team, since they have made lot of harmless funny posts in the past. Besides, as some suggested, it can be seen as poking fun at Alonso and next year's driver situation at Ferrari.

Agreed

#65 jedioriginal

jedioriginal

• 675 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 18:18

The first couple of googled articles that applied to such quote directed me to a well-known blog here, named F1bias, which belongs to a forumer who is a hard core Raikkonen supporter...  ;)

Now let me give you some alternative views...
http://allwomenstalk...ular-f1-drivers
http://www.f1fanatic...2012-f1-season/
http://www.f1fanatic...ular-f1-driver/

I am sure that Raikkonen has a big number of followers, but I don't think anyone has ever proved that he is the most popular one. :)

In any case, let me clarify one thing: I am not questioning that Raikkonen is a very popular driver, I am questioning your dismissal of what the Lotus team represents vs what Raikkonen represents.

Edit: one more bit of information http://www.google.co...hamilton&cmpt=q

Now, I am sure that this graph represents more how newsworthy a driver is than how popular he is, but still it gives a hint

First of all this is stupid subject to have a debate at all.Co's we can't prove what is the truth. Anyway, just maybe instead google you should visit couple of Gp's per year and see it yourself... Anyway im not happy at all that Kimi and Lotus are divorcing.I really don't like him back at Ferrari,they screwed him once and they will probably do it again.Lotus and Kimi were a great match,a great team together. Few good sponsors and Kimi would have stayed. He has couple of years left in Formula 1 so i understand why left. Imo Ferrari is a better bet next year compared to Lotus cos of these huge changes coming.

#66 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,052 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 18:39

All this over a cartoon? Major sense of humour failure on this board, I think. I think we sometimes forget what a close-knit community the F1 paddock actually is, and jokes like this can fly around it without too much offence being taken. The other teams' sterile PR probably doesn't give us a particularly good view of the realities of the F1 paddock.

#67 Schuttelberg

Schuttelberg

• 253 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 19:28

I wasn't going to post here because I found the cartoon funny and just felt that the Raikkonen fans were going a bit overboard with the whole thing and getting a bit too sensitive about nothing but, that's the worst article that I've read all year. I mean, just wtf is EB smoking?

First off, I have a lot of respect for EB for getting Enstone to where it's at after all the turmoil it went through with numerous controversies. But, he's just being ridiculous on the whole Raikkonen subject.

The sport is bigger than the teams, but the teams make the sport complete. Similarly, teams are bigger than drivers, but drivers make the teams complete. I think the guys at Enstone do a marvellous job, as does Boullier but I don't think either or needed the other more or any less. Raikkonen needed Lotus, who needed Raikkonen. If anything, if I'm pushed I think Lotus needed Raikkonen more. Why?

1) Raikkonen could have merrily retired with all the money back home, and I for one would have remembered him as a World Champion and a heck of a character.

2) EB had already cocked up by losing Kubica by allowing him to rally and losing his best driver in an accident, not connected to F1.

3) Heidfeld and Petrov/Senna had not worked for Enstone. It was apparent. Was there another top of the line driver who was a free agent? NONE. They were all locked up in water tight contracts.

4) I don't think Raikkonen wouldn't have had other options. Sure, the top seats were all locked up but a mere approach from his end would get him a Sauber/Force India/Williams seat in 2012 and from what I saw of the 2012 season, a driver of his calibre could have won a grand prix in any of those in 2012. 

Like I said before, it was a good driver/team combination which has split, but conclusion says that Raikkonen will be up-scaling to Ferrari while Lotus will in all likelyhood have to do with a driver below Raikkonen's credentials. 

Edited by Schuttelberg, 17 October 2013 - 19:31.

#68 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 305 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 19:57

He did the exact same thing when he went to McLaren from Sauber.. He's Kimi, and nothing will change that.

#69 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 2,399 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 20:17

I don't mean to overanalyze the drawing, but it's pretty clear to me that Kimi is the one receiving the cake in the face (aka he's the one being caricatured and mocked). So I don't see how they poke fun at Alonso with it or put him in a bad light. 

Anyway, this thread was never intended for the sole purpose of nitpicking the significance of that drawing. That photo just adds to the bad taste actions the team have taken recently against him:

- First, Alan Permane explicitly saying in Singapore that too bad Kimi made the podium instead of Romain [quote: "We've never been so annoyed to get a podium"]

- Second, Boullier basically summarizing Kimi's successful return as being down only to the team [quote: "I think Kimi Raikkonen would be forgotten today (if not for Lotus)"]

While Kimi is appreciating the team for their efforts in interviews, the least Lotus could do is keep their mouths shut, mind their own business and finish this season without unnecessary comments like the ones above.

Edited by Cyanide, 17 October 2013 - 20:18.

#70 Torsion

Torsion

• 627 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 20:57

I don't mean to overanalyze the drawing, but it's pretty clear to me that Kimi is the one receiving the cake in the face (aka he's the one being caricatured and mocked). So I don't see how they poke fun at Alonso with it or put him in a bad light. 

Anyway, this thread was never intended for the sole purpose of nitpicking the significance of that drawing. That photo just adds to the bad taste actions the team have taken recently against him:

- First, Alan Permane explicitly saying in Singapore that too bad Kimi made the podium instead of Romain [quote: "We've never been so annoyed to get a podium"]

- Second, Boullier basically summarizing Kimi's successful return as being down only to the team [quote: "I think Kimi Raikkonen would be forgotten today (if not for Lotus)"]

While Kimi is appreciating the team for their efforts in interviews, the least Lotus could do is keep their mouths shut, mind their own business and finish this season without unnecessary comments like the ones above.

I think Lotus might be missing an opportunity here to retain some of the Kimi fan base as Lotus team fans. There was a feeling of gratitude from Kimi fans towards Lotus for bringing Kimi back to F1, which I am sure would have continued if things didn't turn sour. I fear any such gratitude from fans would disapear if the team make comments like the above.

Personally I think that it was wrong for Kimi to discuss the salary issue in public, may be he didn't realise its implications? I don't know, but in my opinion the team should not have reacted in the way they have.

Edited by Torsion, 17 October 2013 - 21:04.

#71 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 682 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 21:24

Great Mr. Permane, just great... What a class act!  :rolleyes:

Edited by RosannaG, 17 October 2013 - 21:24.

#72 NexusIcon

NexusIcon

• 154 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 21:29

He didn't say or imply that at all. You're just inferring it.

To my mind he was pointing out the juxtaposition of the happiness of Kimi getting on the podium to the sadness of Romain losing a podium. There's a good chance Kimi wouldn't have seen the podium if Romain had finished therefore it makes perfect sense.

Long story short; Awwwwww sh!t, we lost a podium place... Wahey, we got a podium place!

Ergo, annoyed yet on the podium. A weird emotion worth pointing out.

#73 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,100 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 21:36

So no one can explain the humor in the cartoon?  I am figuring it might be a cultural thing.  I just don't get it.

Edited by bourbon, 17 October 2013 - 21:36.

#74 NexusIcon

NexusIcon

• 154 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 21:40

Well, I don't think it was the height of humour, if I'm honest. If it's possible for a picture to lose something in translation then that has managed it.

I think it is supposed to be saying that Alonso doesn't like the thought of Kimi coming back to Ferrari and therefore bought him a birthday cake but planted it in his face for a prank.

I don't think it works very well but that's the intent, IMO.

#75 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 2,399 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 21:41

Not to mention Gerard Lopez's ironic comments when Kimi said he left Lotus because he wasn't receiving his salary:

“I thought Kimi did not return to Formula 1 for the money, but it is clear that the opposite is actually true,” Lopez told Auto Hebdo.

I mean, seriously, which driver on this planet would agree to continue driving with an unpaid salary? And to insinuate he's driving for the money when he drove the past few races on his own budget and that he accepted a much lower salary than during his Ferrari years, just to return to the sport. Sorry, but these comments don't cut it for me, the bitterness is too apparent. Kimi disclosing the info was not the smartest thing he did, but slamming him in the media for the past few weekends is unprofessional. If they don't plan on being respectful towards him, fine. But at least keep quiet about your bitterness rather than create bad PR and enrage fans. 

#76 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,052 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 21:43

I've seen this a couple of times in this thread so I have to ask. How important is a fanbase to an F1 team? As near as I can figure it will only figure into their merchandise sales and at a secondary level to the success of their sponsors/owners. When you consider that the livelihood of the team comes from success on the track, and their share of the WCC money, I don't see why having loads of fans would be that important to them.

I'm not saying Lotus shouldn't be at all concerned about their image, but would it really be all that important to them to keep "Kimi fans" to themselves?

#77 Hayden1

Hayden1

• 376 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 21:45

WOW :down:  What a dirty trick by the lotus. i never thought they will do this kind of c.../ shame

#78 icecream

icecream

• 378 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 21:52

So no one can explain the humor in the cartoon?  I am figuring it might be a cultural thing.  I just don't get it.

nah, i dont get it either.

#79 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 22:00

What the heck is wrong with Lotus? They use Kimi's birthday to launch this demeaning 'joke' on him.

It is obvious that Lotus hopes that Kimi will be bullied by Alonso next year and that they would find it funny. Very unprofessional and disappointing.

Advertisement

#80 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 682 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 22:03

It looks like nobody does.  :well:

I quit telling jokes because everytime I did, I had to explain them so you can imagine how ridiculous the situation was. In fact, the explanations were far funnier that the jokes themselves.  :lol:

#81 DrF

DrF

• 1,395 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 22:06

Kimi doesn't care what Lotus or anyone else says about him, so why should his fans?

#82 Kimifinfan

Kimifinfan

• 125 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 22:15

I think Lotus might be missing an opportunity here to retain some of the Kimi fan base as Lotus team fans. There was a feeling of gratitude from Kimi fans towards Lotus for bringing Kimi back to F1, which I am sure would have continued if things didn't turn sour. I fear any such gratitude from fans would disapear if the team make comments like the above.

Personally I think that it was wrong for Kimi to discuss the salary issue in public, may be he didn't realise its implications? I don't know, but in my opinion the team should not have reacted in the way they have.

I think Kimi fans will follow him as they always have and the Lotus threads will be as small as all the other midfield teams are today. And as for Kimi discussing his unpaid salary, it was known by all, it was discussed by Lopez and EB prior to Kimi making that statement.

#83 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,023 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 22:18

First of all this is stupid subject to have a debate at all.

Very true :)  Let's go back to the topic.

#84 BorkoF2012

BorkoF2012

• 809 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 22:30

What is the significance of Alonso, in his Ferrari gear, throwing a cake in Kimi's face and saying Happy Birthday, with Kimi in his Lotus Gear - and then Alonso walking away with a devilish/self satisfied look?

It's probably a message to Raikkonen - you shouldn't have gone to Ferrari, there is Alonso waiting for you and he'll try to make your life there miserable.

#85 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 22:53

To me it means Lotus saying: "Happy Birthday Kimi, enjoy this cake in your face because we do not like you.  But since we are too coward to do it ourselves, we will blame it on Alonso"

#86 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 1,726 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 23:14

It's probably a message to Raikkonen - you shouldn't have gone to Ferrari, there is Alonso waiting for you and he'll try to make your life there miserable.

Yeah, it's like saying, "Happy Birthday bastard", good luck with Alonso...I interpret is as saying something like, "you will regret you left, but good luck anyway"...

#87 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 514 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 00:03

Lotus are going to miss those podiums and WCC points next year. Sour grapes really. They should've somehow came up with his money. Plain and simple.

#88 Avastrol

Avastrol

• 363 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 00:24

Lotus are going to miss those podiums and WCC points next year. Sour grapes really. They should've somehow came up with his money. Plain and simple.

Don't sell Romain short.

With a good car he's capable of 100 points and 3-4 podiums a year

#89 santababy

santababy

• 419 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:24

What the heck is wrong with Lotus? They use Kimi's birthday to launch this demeaning 'joke' on him.

It is obvious that Lotus hopes that Kimi will be bullied by Alonso next year and that they would find it funny. Very unprofessional and disappointing.

This!

#90 Lemans

Lemans

• 1,321 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:23

Oh, the outrage! :rotfl:

This is what happens when a bunch of fans without any sense of humor, see a cartoon about their favourite driver who also has no sense of humor.

#91 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,817 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:35

This is what happens when a bunch of fans without any sense of humor, see a cartoon about their favourite driver who also has no sense of humor.

How did you get to this conclusion?

#92 zippythecat

zippythecat

• 81 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:39

It's going unobserved by many that the cartoon isn't all that flattering to Alonso, also a former Enstone driver.

#93 Torsion

Torsion

• 627 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:47

I've seen this a couple of times in this thread so I have to ask. How important is a fanbase to an F1 team? As near as I can figure it will only figure into their merchandise sales and at a secondary level to the success of their sponsors/owners. When you consider that the livelihood of the team comes from success on the track, and their share of the WCC money, I don't see why having loads of fans would be that important to them.

I'm not saying Lotus shouldn't be at all concerned about their image, but would it really be all that important to them to keep "Kimi fans" to themselves?

I think a larger fanbase is certainly more appealing to potential sponsors. A larger fan base tends to keep teams in the news more often since reporters know that they will get more interest in stories relating to those teams, since they have a greater following.

#94 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 378 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 03:06

It's probably silly and disrespectful to us, but i doubt the Kimster cares.

He's job is to show up and drive, not to follow and have Twitter account.

#95 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,100 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:16

So I take it you can explain the joke?

#96 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,421 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:12

#97 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:51

Kimi doesn't care what Lotus or anyone else says about him, so why should his fans?

There is no single man in the world, that doesn't care what others say about him. He only doesn't show that.

Edited by Shiroo, 18 October 2013 - 05:54.

#98 Oho

Oho

• 7,510 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:57

Why did Lotus even have to pay any attention to Räikkönen's birthday? Why not just let it go? Would have suited Räikkönen just fine, he just works there.

Edited by Oho, 18 October 2013 - 05:58.

#99 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,994 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:02

So I take it you can explain the joke?

I'll take a swing at it. I reckon - get this - that the gag is that on someone's birthday you would expect cake to be presented in friendly celebration. However, the cartoon is 'hilariously' subverting this expectation by suggesting that if he could, Fernando Alonso would launch said cake right into Kimi Raikkonen's face like in the silent screen pie-fights. Quite why Alonso might do such a thing seems left for the individual reader to ponder but probably is down to his reputation for looking to crush team mates. In short, seems to me like they're more having a pop at Alonso.

Now, as the OP does say they want to talk about the relationship between Lotus and Kimi more generally, can someone walk me through EXACTLY what the screwing rabbits tweet was trying to say?

Advertisement

#100 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,312 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:09

even if someone explained the joke - you would still pick it apart - and peoples interrpretation of what they are trying to do will be different - as seen by this thread.

\

Sophie - my interpretation is similar to your's but the pie in the face from Alonso IMO is because he's not happy having such a good teammate.

Like you - I think they are having more a pop at FA than KR

I lol when I saw it

Edited by Raelene, 18 October 2013 - 06:42.