- - - - -

James Hunt QGM?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Amanda1978

Amanda1978

• 52 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:45

Husband and I were taking last night about recipients of the Queen's Gallentry Medal of which he is one.  I started telling him that I think he shares this honour with James Hunt because somewhere in the back of my head I remember reading or hearing this - Hunt was awarded the QGM for pulling Ronnie Peterson out of his car at Monza in 1978. 

Could I find this fact anywhere?  Nope.  Nothing.  Zilch.  Now, I'm starting to doubt my own memory.  I was 17 in 1978 when I became a fan of F1 and I remember the tragedy of Peterson's death very clearly but I was convinced this fact about Hunt and the QGM was true.

Then I read about the sad death of Sean Edwards and the fact that his father received the QGM for pulling Niki Lauda out of his car in 1976.  I only have a few memories of F1 prior to 1978 and I'm wondering if in fact I've mixed the two incidents up.  Husband thinks I have, but only on the grounds that I can never remember where I left the car keys and therefore should not be trusted with historical facts!

So, please could some er. . . older . . . posters here enlighten me. Did James Hunt receive the QGM for Monza 1978 or not?   

Oh, and by older, I mean in my age group, which does not signify old, just having a few more years that the younger posters  ;)

Advertisement

#2 IPBushy

IPBushy

• 51 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:55

When the cars came to rest Hunt ran, with Regazzoni, over to Peterson's car and, as I recall hesitated for a moment before going into the smoke and flames to extricate Ronnie. The fact that he hesitated is a fair indication that he was fully cognoscente of the possible consequences of his actions, so brave isn't too strong a word, I'd say.  

#3 ReeVe

ReeVe

• 178 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:59

there's a recipient's list here and Hunt doesn't appear in it, beyond that I can't help 

#4 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:00

I don't think so. 

What I know and because of the last sad events, Guy Edwards got this award in 1976 for risking his live saving Niki Lauda at the German GP.

Edited by RosannaG, 17 October 2013 - 12:00.

#5 Amanda1978

Amanda1978

• 52 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:07

When the cars came to rest Hunt ran, with Regazzoni, over to Peterson's car and, as I recall hesitated for a moment before going into the smoke and flames to extricate Ronnie. The fact that he hesitated is a fair indication that he was fully cognoscente of the possible consequences of his actions, so brave isn't too strong a word, I'd say.  

I remember that bit and agree with you totally about his bravery.

#6 Amanda1978

Amanda1978

• 52 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:08

Did Hunt get any award or recognition for his actions then?

#7 Amanda1978

Amanda1978

• 52 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:10

there's a recipient's list here and Hunt doesn't appear in it, beyond that I can't help 

Thank you.  I had a look through them - found hubby's name but like you say no sign of James Hunt.  Guess I had him mixed up with Edwards.  Unfortunately it looks like I owe Hubby a bottle of red wine as I foolishly wagered on my memory being perfect!

#8 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,871 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:14

You're probably mixing the memory with either Guy Edwards, who received the QGM after the Lauda crash in 1976, or perhaps David Purley or Mike Hailwood, both of whom received the George Medal for acts of gallantry - Purls for his unsuccessful attempt to rescue Roger Williamson at Zandvoort and Mike for helping to pull Clay Regazzoni out of his burning car at Kyalami: both in 1973.

#9 ReeVe

ReeVe

• 178 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:16

he was honored by the Royal Swedish Automobile Club (Ronnie's home country) but as far as I know that was the only one

#10 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,871 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:19

There is always the possibility that it was offered and he declined it. But that would be an entirely private matter between him and the Honours Committee, who never officially comment on declined honours.

edit: Given James's attitude to 'The Establishment' I suppose rejecting it might be in character. I suspect he would have valued the award from the KAK much more highly, given that it was from within the motor sporting world.

Edited by Vitesse2, 17 October 2013 - 12:27.

#11 Amanda1978

Amanda1978

• 52 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 13:01

You're probably mixing the memory with either Guy Edwards, who received the QGM after the Lauda crash in 1976, or perhaps David Purley or Mike Hailwood, both of whom received the George Medal for acts of gallantry - Purls for his unsuccessful attempt to rescue Roger Williamson at Zandvoort and Mike for helping to pull Clay Regazzoni out of his burning car at Kyalami: both in 1973.

I think it's Guy Edwards I'm mixing it up with.  Purley and Hailwood are too early for me to have remembered it, and I do have some recollections of Lauda's crash, so it would seem that this is what I'm remembering.

Thank you, and all those who posted. :cat:

#12 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,268 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 13:04

Hello Amanda..

What did your husband do to receive his..?

Jp

#13 Amanda1978

Amanda1978

• 52 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 14:29

Hello Amanda..

What did your husband do to receive his..?

Jp

It was related to his work, and involved catching a couple of bank robbers.   That's really all I can say about it because he doesn't like to mention it much, in fact he tends to down play it.

#14 JtP1

JtP1

• 753 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 14:33

No, he blamed Ricardo Patrese.

#15 Amanda1978

Amanda1978

• 52 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 14:54

No, he blamed Ricardo Patrese.

Don't think he ever stopped blaming Patrese.

#16 JtP1

JtP1

• 753 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 16:18

Don't think he ever stopped blaming Patrese.

Probably not, but everyone else on reflection of what happened seemed to stop.