Photo

SCCA Charge of the Headlight Brigade - why 13 hours in duration?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,362 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:05

Could anyone tell me why the SCCA Charge of the Headlight Brigade endurance race held at the Virginia International Raceway is held over 13 hours, instead of the more usual 12 hours?

Advertisement

#2 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 14:27

Just to be different. Why does a California SCCA region run a 25 hour enduro in the winter? I imagine the same reason.

#3 RonPohl

RonPohl

• 193 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 15:50

Yes, I suspect just to be different. I think RA Historian may be referring to the 25 hours at thunder hill, run by NASA. Having crewed in that event 3 times several years ago, I must say it is a excellent event- although surely only for the hard core. Running in winter brings some extreme weather as well as 13 hours of darkness. And it is really dark-no ambient lighting. The track is almost 4 miles through some gentle rolling hills .

Along with the "just to be different" , as the Daytona 24 is sponsored by Rolex, one year the race was sponsored by timex . Every entrant got a timex- not quite the same as winning a Rolex at daytona-

#4 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 14:30

Yes, Ron, I was thinking of the Thunderhill event. Thought it was SCCA, but see that it is NASA. Shows how much info gets distributed about the event.

Yes, I miss On Track magazine!

Tom