Maldonado the $66 Million dollar man?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:21

http://racing.ap.org...ace-car-drivers

Justice Minister Miguel Rodriguez told reporters Friday that some motor sports athletes have obtained hard currency for "activities that were either fictitious or overpriced."

Sports Minister Alejandra Benitez said in a newspaper interview published Thursday that an initial investigation into the Cadivi disbursements found that one driver got $66 million. She did not name the driver.

If true this would make him one of the better paid drivers I would think. :-)

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 20 October 2013 - 02:48.

Advertisement

#2 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:08

Damn, I thought you were going to show us evidence that Maldonado is a cyborg.

Pastor-Maldonado-2010_2546075.jpg

#3 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:27

Damn, I thought you were going to show us evidence that Maldonado is a cyborg.

Pastor-Maldonado-2010_2546075.jpg

What the.. the last temp job I had was for a company called Randstad. Maybe I too can one day win a GP, but everyone just talks about Hulkenberg instead.

#4 sheogorath

sheogorath

• 300 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:53

http://racing.ap.org...ace-car-drivers

Justice Minister Miguel Rodriguez told reporters Friday that some motor sports athletes have obtained hard currency for "activities that were either fictitious or overpriced."

Sports Minister Alejandra Benitez said in a newspaper interview published Thursday that an initial investigation into the Cadivi disbursements found that one driver got $66 million. She did not name the driver.

If true this would make him one of the better paid drivers I would think. :-)

It's probably EJ Viso or Cecotto Jr.

Alejandra Benitez used her twitter account to say it isn't Maldonado.

#5 SpeedFanatic

SpeedFanatic

• 361 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:21

It's probably EJ Viso or Cecotto Jr.

Alejandra Benitez used her twitter account to say it isn't Maldonado.

Don't waste your time. It is obviously a bashing thread.

Amigo mio @Pastormaldo un fuerte abrazo usted sigue siendo un Gran ejemplo de honestidad, rectitud y disciplina. Un fuerte abrazo!

:wave:

Edited by SpeedFanatic, 20 October 2013 - 03:22.

#6 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:30

Sounds a lot like Milka Duno's various repair bills...

#7 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:25

Hold on a second, that'd be a bit of a scandal.

When I read that report initially I thought they were talking about the money they spend on sponsorship in general and that one driver got 66mil in 18 months(or 40+ mil a year). Which would fit what we expect the PDVSA sponsorship at Williams to be.

But if it's 66m in the forged documents and/or currency schemes, that's absolutely crazy.

#8 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:57

Yes, that amount seems far too high to buy seats through sponsorship for both Cecotto and Viso put together, unless it was over their entire careers, perhaps.

#9 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 1,151 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 13:09

Alejandra Benitez R ‏@BenitezVEN19h
Amigo mio @Pastormaldo un fuerte abrazo usted sigue siendo un Gran ejemplo de honestidad, rectitud y disciplina. Un fuerte abrazo!
:wave:

Oh my goodness! Someone has forged her twitter account as well as her signature.

What an unlucky Sports Minister!

#10 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,759 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 13:18

Yes, that amount seems far too high to buy seats through sponsorship for both Cecotto and Viso put together, unless it was over their entire careers, perhaps.

Given that Cecotto and Viso are a danger to humanity every time they step on the track, how much money would it take to cover their insurance?

#11 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 14:58

Whoever it is its about time the Venezuelan govt/people wised to how much money they are pissing away on these drivers...... Chavez is safely dead and buried - RIP to him but enough time has passed to allow them to look at his legacy with a bit more pragmatism.... hopefully they review the level funding that they are giving to all their drivers.   

IMO the drivers are damaging the Venezuelan "brand"... they are all either crash prone or hot heads - and in some cases both. Plus with the knowledge that money is being pissed away on mediocrity, I suspect that most people are like me in thinking less, and not more, of Venezuela as a country based on what we see from these drivers. 

#12 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 1,151 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 15:13

Whoever it is its about time the Venezuelan govt/people wised to how much money they are pissing away on these drivers......

I think that was the point of the Sports Minister's communique . . . motorsports is 98% of the foreign budget and the costs astronomic.

Not sure I believe the 66m story . . . how would that amount of money get past any accountant or bank clerk without a query . . . especially in a country strapped for dollars. I think Venezuela's whole involvement with motorsports has been reviewed.

#13 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 15:27

I think that was the point of the Sports Minister's communique . . . motorsports is 98% of the foreign budget and the costs astronomic.

Not sure I believe the 66m story . . . how would that amount of money get past any accountant or bank clerk without a query . . . especially in a country strapped for dollars. I think Venezuela's whole involvement with motorsports has been reviewed.

:lol: Dude... out in the Third World anything is possible with Govt money .... I know one country where as we speak govt workers are being paid late to facilitate a huge payment by the president of govt money overseas for his own private purposes..... :lol: like the "bank clerk" or whoever it was would ever dare object :p

#14 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:18

I wondered how Viso managed to hold good seats year after year while Wheldon and co. went begging...

#15 No brain no pain

No brain no pain

• 228 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 17:59

Some amazing payments made... http://www.racecar-e...its-motorsport/

#16 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,535 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 13:12

Autosport article: Pastor Maldonado says he is not involved in Venezuela fraud probe

Asked by AUTOSPORT whether he was involved, Maldonado replied: "It's not concerning me because I never received money from the Venezuelan state or government.

"What really happened is that the money is not free and the drivers need to pay for that money because it is currency exchange.

"There is a programme in Venezuela for sport and you can change money at a lower price.

"What I heard is that other people, some drivers, were changing money at a preferential price and then they were selling them on the second market.

#17 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 13:17

So PDVSA isn't part of the government, and no one else is receiving money from PDVSA even if carrying their logos? So this car is funded by...?

242463-ej-viso.jpg

Edited by Ross Stonefeld, 24 October 2013 - 13:18.

#18 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,759 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 13:26

The People's Dispensary for Very Sick Animals?

#19 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 13:37

How could you possibly think that, Ross? :p

In 2006, Rafael Ramírez, the energy minister, gave PDVSA workers a choice: Support President Hugo Chávez, or lose their jobs. The minister also said: "PDVSA is red [the color identified with Chávez's political party], red from top to bottom". Chávez defended Ramírez, saying that public workers should back the "revolution". He added that "PDVSA's workers are with this revolution, and those who aren't should go somewhere else. Go to Miami".

PDVSA continues to hire only supporters of the president, and PDVSA revenue is used to fund political projects.

http://en.wikipedia....#Politicization

Advertisement

#20 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 13:39

I'm just quoting their spokesman  :p