Photo

Indian GP Start Time

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Al.

Al.

• 1,317 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 23:18

Can you clarify the UK start time for the Indian GP on Sunday.

The 'local time zone tool' suggests 10.30.

Is that 10.30 BST as on Sunday the UK local timezone will be GMT thus will be a 9.30 start.

I appreciate the UK time zone change during the race weekend.

Cheers

Advertisement

#2 Antonov

Antonov

• 567 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:22

I'm a bit confused by it as well. I think the big question is whether the Indian time zone changes clocks as well?

If not, which is apparently the case, qualifying and race are at the same (local) time. What I suggest you do then is set your alarm or whatever at the same time as you would for quali, just don' change its clock until after the race.

Edited by Antonov, 23 October 2013 - 10:31.

#3 Grayson

Grayson
  • AUTOSPORT digital product manager

• 1,332 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:32

The times shown in the local timezone tool are as they would be if the clocks were NOT changing in your country.

The reason for this is that the code for this is purely looking at what your current timezone is right now rather than recognising that you're in a country whose clocks are changing at the weekend. If you're in a country such as the UK where the clocks are changing this weekend, the race will be one hour earlier on Sunday than the time that's being shown in that panel.

#4 karlth

karlth

• 16,242 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 22:17

The times shown in the local timezone tool are as they would be if the clocks were NOT changing in your country.

The reason for this is that the code for this is purely looking at what your current timezone is right now rather than recognising that you're in a country whose clocks are changing at the weekend. If you're in a country such as the UK where the clocks are changing this weekend, the race will be one hour earlier on Sunday than the time that's being shown in that panel.

I live in a country where the clocks are not changing (no daylight savings time) and the starting time is wrong for us as well.  It is thus useless for everyone, worse than useless really because it displays wrong information instead of just skipping it.  I've missed two GP starts because of this "feature" and it is still as broken as ever.

To the developer:

It is far easier to do local time calculations in Javascript/Jquery than using server side  php code.  Here is a link to a simple Javascript implementation:  http://stackoverflow...c-to-local-time

In the meantime:  The official site Formula1.com has always the correct times, use them instead:  http://www.formula1.com/default.html

#5 AlexS

AlexS

• 2,468 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:29

Yeah once again Autosport is wrong - i also missed one start this years because of this crap -

It is better to rely in F1.com

Your are not answering the question. The countdown clock is wrong, so every other time is wrong.

#6 Grayson

Grayson
  • AUTOSPORT digital product manager

• 1,332 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:51

Your are not answering the question. The countdown clock is wrong, so every other time is wrong.

The question in the opening post wasn't about the countdown clock - it was about the "convert to your timezone" tool in the GP box on the bottom right of the website. This should have given the right times for anyone who was in a country where the clocks didn't change this weekend.

Are you talking about the countdown clock above the main stories on the homepage? If that was wrong then we can look into setting the time in it correctly the next time there is a race on the weekend when the clocks change. It's pretty unfortunate that there seems to be a race on both of those two weekends every single year...

#7 karlth

karlth

• 16,242 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:32

The question in the opening post wasn't about the countdown clock - it was about the "convert to your timezone" tool in the GP box on the bottom right of the website. This should have given the right times for anyone who was in a country where the clocks didn't change this weekend.

It didn't.  The time was incorrect in my country inspite of us having no daylight savings.

It's pretty unfortunate that there seems to be a race on both of those two weekends every single year...

Perhaps you should talk to Bernie and ask him to change GP dates?   :p