Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Team handed Vettel equipment into parc ferme - penalty?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#1 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:36

After the quali vettel was handed a leaf blower thingy over the fence and he was working the car and brakes with it. It's illegal for the team to give the driver anything before he gets weighed and you can't work on the car in the parc ferme, will this result in a penalty?

Advertisement

#2 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:38

Not sure if it's illegal. I saw a photo of last race where the team opened a suitcase with equipment aswell. I don't know. Would certainly spice up the race, and penalties have been given before with the main reason to do that.

In DTM he'd have a disqualification for sure.

#3 Melchiot

Melchiot

• 377 posts

Vettel farted = penalty

#4 HPT

HPT

• 2,103 posts

Yes. Just to spice up the race a bit! :D

#5 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:42

Give him a 21 place grid penalty for the next 4 races, justice served, excitement restored.

#6 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:32

Not sure if it's illegal. I saw a photo of last race where the team opened a suitcase with equipment aswell. I don't know. Would certainly spice up the race, and penalties have been given before with the main reason to do that.

In DTM he'd have a disqualification for sure.

Alonso got a reprimand for taking a flag from a marshal, if the rules were consistent Vettel should get a reprimand as well for this.

#7 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:34

How many reprimands does Sebastian have?

#8 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:37

How many reprimands does Sebastian have?

None, if I am not mistaken.

#9 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:56

Alonso got a reprimand for taking a flag from a marshal, if the rules were consistent Vettel should get a reprimand as well for this.

No, he didn't.

#10 st99

st99

• 385 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:09

Ban him from the last 4 races! (He would probably still win the WDC :p )

#11 plumtree

plumtree

• 1,082 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:12

No, he didn't.

Exactly. No reprimand to Vettel as well.  :lol:

"No further action" - No further action was taken to be consistent with a previous decision made under similar circumstances.

http://184.106.145.7...ntNumber-49.pdf

#12 JtP1

JtP1

• 753 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:27

Vettel farted = penalty

That does raised the ultimate scuba diving question. If you fart in a dry suit, does it affect your bouyancy?

#13 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,188 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:32

"No further action" - No further action was taken to be consistent with a previous decision made under similar circumstances.

That does raised the ultimate scuba diving question. If you fart in a dry suit, does it affect your bouyancy?

Seems we've got an answer to the OP question, and to avoid going off into the world of "what happens when you do stuff in suits?" I don't see the need for this to stay open.

Closed.

#14 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,188 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:55

Opening this back up because I can't read properly. :blush:

Sorry.

But "What happens in suits..." is still off-topic!

#15 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:25

Not sure the precedent applies here, two very different cases. Still not expecting anything to come of it but hope springs eternal...

#16 wonk123

wonk123

• 1,658 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:37

I was a bit suprised when it happened live, and wondered why nothing was said. It opens a whole can of worms, BUT I can't see where it is specifically outlawed http://www.formula1....s/8685/fia.html

Unless these aren't actually the complete regs?

#17 nosecone

nosecone

• 1,938 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 13:13

credits to wonk123.

34)
POST QUALIFYING PARC FERMƉ
Every team must provide the FIA technical delegate with a suspension set
-
up sheet for
both of
their cars before each of them leaves the pit lane for the first time during the qualifying
practice session
Each car will be deemed to be in parc fermƩ from the time at which it leaves the pit lane for
the first time during qualifying practice until the start of the race. Any car which fails to leave
the pit lane during qualifying practice will be deemed to be in parc fermƩ at the end of Q1.
Between these times, other than when cars are returned to the parc fermƩ overnight, the
following work may be carried out :
a)
Engines may be started.
b)
Fuel may be added or removed and a fuel breather fitted.
c)
Wheels, wheel fasteners and tyres may be removed, changed or rebalanced and tyre
pressures checked.
d)
Spark plugs may be removed in order
to carry out an internal engine inspection and
cylinder compression checks.
e)
Permitted heating or cooling devices may be fitted.
f)
A jump battery may be connected and on board electrical units may be freely accessed
via a physical connection to the car.
g)
Charging and / or discharging of the KERS energy storage devices.
h)
Removal of the KERS energy storage devices which, once marked by the FIA technical
delegate, may be retained overnight by the team.
i)
The main electrical battery and radio batte
ries may be changed.
j)
The brake system may be bled.
k)
Engine oil may be drained.
l)
Compressed gases may be drained or added.
m)
Fluids with a specific gravity less than 1.1 may be drained and/or replenished, however,
fluids used for replenishment m
ust conform to the same specification as the original
fluid.
n)
The aerodynamic set up of the front wing may be adjusted using the existing parts. No
parts may be added, removed or replaced

for more clarification ask Charlie or look here: http://www.fia.com/s... 04.07.2013.pdf

Edited by nosecone, 26 October 2013 - 13:16.

#18 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 13:19

Nosecone... Thanks for the information.  :wave:

#19 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 13:22

Only if you don't pee at the same time...

Advertisement

#20 basjaski

basjaski

• 77 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 13:38

Much to the disappointment of the Anti Vettel Committee  :rotfl:

#21 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 13:40

Vettel farted = penalty

Oh, come on.  Be serious.  The penalty is only if he farts into the radiator or intake.

#22 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 13:42

How come no-one raised this question when Hamilton did it?

#23 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 13:47

Oh, come on.  Be serious.  The penalty is only if he farts into the radiator or intake.

No, because it can be considered as off-throttle diffuser blowing.

#24 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 13:49

Only if you don't pee at the same time...

It's really amazing how much I'm learning about scuba diving in a F1 forum...  :rotfl:

#25 drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

• 325 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 13:55

34)
POST QUALIFYING PARC FERMƉ
Every team must provide the FIA technical delegate with a suspension set
-
up sheet for
both of
their cars before each of them leaves the pit lane for the first time during the qualifying
practice session
Each car will be deemed to be in parc fermƩ from the time at which it leaves the pit lane for
the first time during qualifying practice until the start of the race. Any car which fails to leave
the pit lane during qualifying practice will be deemed to be in parc fermƩ at the end of Q1.
Between these times, other than when cars are returned to the parc fermƩ overnight, the
following work may be carried out :
a)
Engines may be started.
b)
c)
Wheels, wheel fasteners and tyres may be removed, changed or rebalanced and tyre
pressures checked.
d)
Spark plugs may be removed in order
to carry out an internal engine inspection and
cylinder compression checks.
e)
Permitted heating or cooling devices may be fitted.
f)
A jump battery may be connected and on board electrical units may be freely accessed
via a physical connection to the car.
g)
Charging and / or discharging of the KERS energy storage devices.
h)
Removal of the KERS energy storage devices which, once marked by the FIA technical
delegate, may be retained overnight by the team.
i)
The main electrical battery and radio batte
ries may be changed.
j)
The brake system may be bled.
k)
Engine oil may be drained.
l)
Compressed gases may be drained or added.
m)
Fluids with a specific gravity less than 1.1 may be drained and/or replenished, however,
fluids used for replenishment m
ust conform to the same specification as the original
fluid.
n)
The aerodynamic set up of the front wing may be adjusted using the existing parts. No
parts may be added, removed or replaced

Hmm, well, I don't really think those rules apply during the weighing period immediatly after the qualifying.

Not really me thinks... :drunk:

You should rather look at the weighing regulations:

http://www.formula1....s/8688/fia.html

26) WEIGHING
a) During the qualifying practice session cars will be weighed as follows :
1) the FIA will install weighing equipment in the first pit garage (the FIA garage) which will be used for the weighing procedure ;
2) cars taking part in Q1 and Q2 will be selected at random to undergo the weighing procedure ;
3) when signalled to do so the driver will proceed directly to the FIA garage and stop his engine;
4) the car will then be weighed with driver and the result given to the driver or a team representative in writing ;
5) At the end of the qualifying session all cars which took part in Q3 will be weighed. If a driver wishes to leave his car before it is weighed he must ask the technical delegate to weigh him in order that this weight may be added to that of the car.
6) if the car is unable to reach the FIA garage under its own power it will be placed under the exclusive control of the marshals who will take the car to be weighed ;
7) a car or driver may not leave the FIA garage without the consent of the FIA technical delegate;
8) if a car stops on the circuit and the driver leaves the car, he must go to the FIA garage immediately on his return to the pit lane in order for his weight to be established.
b) After the race every classified car will be weighed. If a driver wishes to leave his car before it is weighed he must ask the technical delegate to weigh him in order that this weight may be added to that of the car.
c) The relevant car may be excluded should its weight be less than that specified in Article 4.1 of the Technical Regulations when weighed under a) or b) above, save where the deficiency in weight results from the accidental loss of a component of the car.
d) No substance may be added to, placed on, or removed from a car after it has been selected for weighing or has finished the race or during the weighing procedure. (Except by a scrutineer when acting in his official capacity).
e) No one other than scrutineers and officials may enter or remain in the FIA garage without the specific permission of the FIA technical delegate.

But since Vettel didn't add or remove any substance to the car, but just blew some air on it, I think that's no problem either...  ;)

#26 wonk123

wonk123

• 1,658 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 14:09

Thanks for that drunkenmaster. I wonder if there is some other part of the regs we are overlooking? I don't think SV should get a penalty, but at the time it happened I thought back to the lead glove story in NASCAR, and find it strange that there is not some rule about things being passed in and out of park ferme before the weigh in.

#27 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 14:49

No, a fart directly into the cylinders would be considered an illegal enrichment of the fuel mix...

And a cold fart would be considered cooling of the brakes with dangerous substances. Did anyone notice if there was some kind of tubing connected from VettelĀ“s ass to the blower?

Edited by RealRacing, 26 October 2013 - 14:51.

#28 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 15:08

Thanks for that drunkenmaster. I wonder if there is some other part of the regs we are overlooking? I don't think SV should get a penalty, but at the time it happened I thought back to the lead glove story in NASCAR, and find it strange that there is not some rule about things being passed in and out of park ferme before the weigh in.

Now that I think about it they do random weight checks during quali for this exact reason. A team could easily qualify underweight and then put the ballast back in as long as they're back in their pits before the flag. But if you and the car can be weighed at any time in the middle of quali there's no point in only getting back up to full weight at the very end.

#29 V3TT3L

V3TT3L

• 1,681 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 15:20

Vettel farted = penalty

Absurd !!!

With so much polution/fog in the air it would be visible by the naked eye.  :o

#30 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,713 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 15:29

4-82.jpg

#31 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 15:33

Who the hell cares If a driver manually cools his brakes? it's not as if he's taking the blower with him on the scale ffs.

#32 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 15:40

No, a fart directly into the cylinders would be considered an illegal enrichment of the fuel mix...

And a cold fart would be considered cooling of the brakes with dangerous substances. Did anyone notice if there was some kind of tubing connected from VettelĀ“s ass to the blower?

Brilliant! You are making me cry... This thread has gone nuts!  :rotfl:

#33 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,950 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 15:48

:lol:

Some people really are desperate, aren't they? I'm glad you guys aren't FIA stewards...

#34 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 15:58

I've seen a tube exiting Sebs own blower, but that runs through the car to the rear diffusor, and helps him tale corners flat, or flatulent, whichever you prefer.

#35 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 16:09

I've seen a tube exiting Sebs own blower, but that runs through the car to the rear diffusor, and helps him tale corners flat, or flatulent, whichever you prefer.

:rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

This is getting better and better  :lol:

#36 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 16:12

:lol:

Some people really are desperate, aren't they? I'm glad you guys aren't FIA stewards...

See I thought there was a good opportunity missed for Vettel to troll the other drivers. He could've pointed that leaf blower at himself, like he's too hot to get on the scale without melting it and needs to cool down first.

#37 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 16:27

Ahh, finally RBR's secret is uncovered as Vettel was seen close to one of these at Red Bull's kitchen. Strangely, Horner was nowhere to be found at the time... beans%20pot-resized-600.jpg

Edited by RealRacing, 26 October 2013 - 16:28.

#38 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 16:33

Ahh, finally RBR's secret is uncovered as Vettel was seen close to one of these at Red Bull's kitchen. Strangely, Horner was nowhere to be found at the time... beans%20pot-resized-600.jpg

Horner was probably with his mate Heinz, at the Nurburgringsting :lol:

#39 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 16:41

It's really amazing how much I'm learning about scuba diving in a F1 forum...  :rotfl:

When diving in cold waters, peeing in the suit can be legitimately regarded as central heating...

Advertisement

#40 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 16:43

See I thought there was a good opportunity missed for Vettel to troll the other drivers. He could've pointed that leaf blower at himself, like he's too hot to get on the scale without melting it and needs to cool down first.

Nobody could see the humor in that and he will run the risks of being called all sorts of nasty names by his rivals' fanboys.

#41 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 16:43

When diving in cold waters, peeing in the suit can be legitimately regarded as central heating...

I can imagine...  :p

#42 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,665 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 16:57

I think opening poster Cool Beans now has all he needs from this deeply informative thread.