* * * - - 2 votes

A new rule for Formula One

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 13:46

I think the FIA should introduce a rule which requires that, every 2 years, Adrian Newey has to work for the team that came last in the Championship, that way the standard of the whole field would be raised.

Advertisement

#2 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 13:48

Sounds good. Finally a chance to see him back at Williams.

#3 stillOrange

stillOrange

• 950 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 13:50

And what if RBR and Vettel keep on winning without him?

#4 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 13:51

Missed the point entirely...

#5 stillOrange

stillOrange

• 950 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 13:54

Really?
Well, making Newey go to the last team every 2 years will not raise the standard of the whole grid, just the one team he works for.
Your solution misses your pint as well.

#6 cartmann

cartmann

• 35 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 13:56

Level playing field more interesting than obvious skewed playing field. Have you ever noticed how learning the cheat mode to games quickly kills all interest in computer games. Newey=cheatmode.  :drunk:

#7 nosecone

nosecone

• 1,938 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 14:01

And Catherham and Force India would give all to be last! Wow that's brilliant :D

#8 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 14:13

Really?
Well, making Newey go to the last team every 2 years will not raise the standard of the whole grid, just the one team he works for.

The clue is in the every 2 years, one year to set things in motion, the next to produce a better car. He would then move on to the next team (unless, of course, he made no improvements and had to stay for another two years). If Newey moves a team forward then after 2 years he will do the same for another team, unless you believe that as soon as he left the previous team would forget everything he had taught them.

#9 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,727 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 14:16

Daft idea. I mean, you do realise that fast well designed cars aren't just down to 1 person..........don't you? Plus why should he keep moving around? Do you really think Marussia for example could afford his salary for 2 years? The idea is so daft, I'm genuinely worried that you're anything more than 0% serious

#10 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,527 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 14:35

Can we please get away from this idea that Adrian is a one-man design team/development team/factory? He's a brilliant designer, sure, but he needs a great team working with him to produce great cars. McLaren didn't win every championship while he was with them.

#11 cartmann

cartmann

• 35 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 15:03

Can we please get away from this idea that Adrian is a one-man design team/development team/factory?

No!

#12 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 15:04

Can we please get away from this idea that Adrian is a one-man design team/development team/factory? He's a brilliant designer, sure, but he needs a great team working with him to produce great cars. McLaren didn't win every championship while he was with them.

Never mentioned it. He is a great leader of an engineering team and all engineering teams need a mastermind, a man with a vision. Gordon Murray, Colin Chapman, Patrick Head and John Barnard all lead from the front.

#13 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 15:05

Daft idea. I mean, you do realise that fast well designed cars aren't just down to 1 person..........don't you? Plus why should he keep moving around? Do you really think Marussia for example could afford his salary for 2 years? The idea is so daft, I'm genuinely worried that you're anything more than 0% serious

Ah - So it is just a coincidence his trail of success, the 20 Championships with many different teams?

Edited by Bloggsworth, 27 October 2013 - 15:06.

#14 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 588 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 15:08

Newey couldn't do anything stunning without the right people he's working with at the moment. If the whole designing group went to some bad team for YEARS, then they could up their game for sure. It just won't happen fast. 

Edited by Miggeex, 27 October 2013 - 15:08.

#15 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 15:11

Never mentioned it. He is a great leader of an engineering team and all engineering teams need a mastermind, a man with a vision. Gordon Murray, Colin Chapman, Patrick Head and John Barnard all lead from the front.

Patrick Head?

#16 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,527 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 15:11

It was certainly implied by your absurd suggestion. Unless you're suggesting that the FIA hire Adrian as a design consultant who is sent to the team who's last in the WCC to help them improve.

Should Murray, Chapman, Head and Barnard have also been sent to the likes of Andrea Moda, Coloni, Eurobrun, Forti, etc?

#17 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,527 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 15:12

Patrick Head?

The man behind the brilliant Williams FW07. FW08 and FW11 and a major part of Williams early success. I'm sure you've heard of him.

#18 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,727 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 15:12

Just because he's won lots of championship with numerous different teams doesn't mean he's the be all and end all. You need the best TEAM to win championships. I'd expect a 7 year old to know that if you have the best designer, you need money, the best drivers, the best machanics, the best pit crew, the best equipment, the best this and that you might have a chance to win championships. It'd be no good sticking Newey at Marrusia for a couple of years if they have no money, pit crew isn't as good, drivers aren't as good, mechanics aren't as good, engine is poor, etc etc etc. It wouldn't change anything. It'd be like saying "here's a top designer, now go and get some points". Doesn't work like that. Your idea is a complete load of trash, and I'm stunned you even suggested it.

#19 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 15:15

The man behind the brilliant Williams FW07. FW08 and FW11 and a major part of Williams early success. I'm sure you've heard of him.

Is he related to the Patrick Head who couldn't do anything when Newey left?

Edited: Ok, ok, if you feel he really belongs in that list, that's fine. He undoubtedly had success in his early days.

Edited by dau, 27 October 2013 - 15:25.

Advertisement

#20 f1RacingForever

f1RacingForever

• 1,384 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 15:22

Sounds good but how could backmarkr teams afford him? Could we make him work for free?? :lol:

#21 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,247 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 15:32

As usually observed here...My mouth is my solution and ones pint rarely misses it.

Jp

#22 topical

topical

• 2,815 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 16:19

Best rule in F1 would be separate teams and drivers entirely and make every driver driver for every team over the course of a season. Then we could finally separate what's down to the driver and what's down to the car. Of course it'll never happen, but I'm sick of this stupid tendency to glorify the driver when it's the car that counts for everything.

#23 cartmann

cartmann

• 35 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 16:25

Qualifying has to be done in a spec car...

#24 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 16:28

They've already introduced one radical rule change this weekend, i.e. the track is optional.

#25 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 16:35

I think this is a great idea. Just think of what a team like McLaren could have accomplished if they had been able to have Newey look at their car designs. We might never have had to suffer the era of Ferrari- Schumacher-Bridgestone domination!  ;)

All joking aside, maybe F1 doesn't need Newey to raise the bar, but simply more avenues for development aside from aerodynamics.

#26 Baffomet

Baffomet

• 30 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 16:52

Not this shite again...  ./thread

#27 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 16:55

Is he related to the Patrick Head who couldn't do anything when Newey left?

Edited: Ok, ok, if you feel he really belongs in that list, that's fine. He undoubtedly had success in his early days.

Team leader - I quite specifically said nothing about his design abilities. Head lead a good team, I never said he did the design work, and once his "team" broke up (perhaps FW thought he could also replace designers, as well as drivers, like lightbulbs).

#28 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,907 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 21:20

In my view, it isn't  `only` Newey that makes the difference. Remember the period of 2000-2004 (Now I will be slayed for daring to say such) when Newey also designed cars but failed to win titles. Most of the time periods of success for a team and driver came because everything that was needed was there and the chemistry between everyone was there as well. One of the key components gone often ended the spell of success.

I don't nullify Newey's influence, certainly not. but there have been periods in which he wasn't within the perfect enviroment. Like the years 2000-2004. I think that even Newey realizes all too well that he can't do his magic without the supporting cast being perfect and committed.

It is innsane to believe that shoul he desing and engineer next year's Caterham that it would be an instant winner.

Henri

#29 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,543 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 21:24

In my view, it isn't  `only` Newey that makes the difference. Remember the period of 2000-2004 (Now I will be slayed for daring to say such) when Newey also designed cars but failed to win titles. Most of the time periods of success for a team and driver came because everything that was needed was there and the chemistry between everyone was there as well. One of the key components gone often ended the spell of success.

I don't nullify Newey's influence, certainly not. but there have been periods in which he wasn't within the perfect enviroment. Like the years 2000-2004. I think that even Newey realizes all too well that he can't do his magic without the supporting cast being perfect and committed.

It is innsane to believe that shoul he desing and engineer next year's Caterham that it would be an instant winner.

Henri

Much like Ross Brawn and Rory Byrne for golden days at Ferrari, it was never about them, but because they were at the track and made the changes needed, they got the crediit, but I am sure they would agree it is a large team effort to be better than their fellow teams.

#30 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,992 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 21:50

In my view, it isn't  `only` Newey that makes the difference. Remember the period of 2000-2004 (Now I will be slayed for daring to say such) when Newey also designed cars but failed to win titles.

Would have done had the design innovations he pioneered not been outlawed, thus wasting months of development work and millions of quid of spends.  CVT, twin brakes, magnesium, all, by one of those amazingly strange coincidences, things that Ferrari tried and failed to master, and which were suddenly banned.  And then there were the bulging tyres.

#31 ANF

ANF

• 29,522 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 21:51

The guy is a joke. He can't even design a proper footrest.

#32 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 22:00

CVT, twin brakes, magnesium, all, by one of those amazingly strange coincidences, things that Ferrari tried and failed to master, and which were suddenly banned.  

IIRC not in the 2000-2004 period Henri mentioned.

What went wrong in those years was the bad integration with the Mercedes engine - and the excellent relationship with Renault is a major factor in the current period of success.

Edited by scheivlak, 27 October 2013 - 22:01.

#33 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,648 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 22:29

There's a lot of "smart" engineers spread around the paddock. Someone should be able to find the Newey Solution.

Don't hate the player......................

#34 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,527 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 23:05

The guy is a joke. He can't even design a proper footrest.

I'm assuming that's a joke itself. Or should we all be judged on our mistakes from 25 years ago?

#35 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 23:25

It's one thing to have great ideas, it's another to have the facilities and dosh to make them happen.  Red Bull have the fattest wallet in F1, which comes as no surprise when you know people are paying more than a quid a can for a couple of pence of content.  I can't see any other team coming up with the money Newey needs every year. 

Edited by Tonka, 27 October 2013 - 23:26.

#36 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 23:34

It's one thing to have great ideas, it's another to have the facilities and dosh to make them happen.  Red Bull have the fattest wallet in F1, which comes as no surprise when you know people are paying more than a quid a can for a couple of pence of content.  I can't see any other team coming up with the money Newey needs every year. 

I can think of at least three others. And it's pretty easy to see that the profits of having Newey outweigh the costs when you give him the right environment.

And Red Bull gave him the environment he wanted.

#37 ANF

ANF

• 29,522 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 23:51

I'm assuming that's a joke itself. Or should we all be judged on our mistakes from 25 years ago?

Your assumption is right.

#38 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,764 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 23:53

Mclaren lived off his work for a couple of years after he left. Then the rules changed and well... the MP4-24... we shall say no more.